XY NU We Built Crit City (Peaked #26 on ladder)

-Before We Begin-

I made this team as an absolute joke. I decided to use some of NU's most unspoken threats on one team. I expected this team to fail immensely, but to my surprise, it has worked very well. It has a record of about 20-5 and has laddered me up to 1427 so far, or #26 on the NU ladder. Well, with that out of the way, let's get going!

CritCity (Unfezant) @ Razor Claw
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Night Slash

The star of the team. This set is actually great, because it gives Unfezant a 66% crit rate, which gives it the ability to 2HKO many pokemon that you wouldnt expect, like Granbull. Return and Quick attack are it's normal STABs, one for power, the other for priority, and with a critical hit, the moves are extremely powerful. U-Turn is here for momentum, and Night Slash for it's boosted Crit ratio. This pokemon is actually very underrated, and has a niche that not many pokemon can fill.

Kelpo (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Scald
-Sludge Wave

This thing hits like a monster. It has an insanely good moveset including Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave, Ice Beam (iirc), Draco Meteor, Scald and many more. The set I have is used specifically to nuke things with Draco, but with Reliable STABs in Sludge Wave and Dragon Pulse. Scald is for water coverage and to cripple physical hitters with 90 30% burn chance. It simply nukes things that don't resist its hits.

Barbara (Qwilfish) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Toxic Spikes
-Poison Jab

Generic Suicide Lead Qwilfish is generic. Sets up Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes and Taunts those cheeky people who try to set up their own Hazards or Shell Smash shenanigans. Beats Combusken 1 vs 1 for the most part, which is a plus. Without a doubt the best spikestacker in the tier atm. He just works wonders for the team and Intimidate is a HUGE plus to cripple opposing leads.

RainbowDash (Rapidash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Drill Run
- Megahorn
- Wild Charge

Rapidash is another extremely underused threat in NU. It has near perfect coverage with these 4 moves, and hits like a moving van. STAB Flare Blitz demolishes any pokemon that doesnt resist it, and Drill Run is here for Pesky Probopasses. It also carries MegaHorn to deal with Ludicolo. Wild Charge is here for a move to hit bulky water types like Qwilfish. Rapidash is actually a very threatening pokemon, and with base 105 speed, it can easily clean up teams or form early game dents.

Croissant (Slurpuff) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 108 HP / 188 Def / 36 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Draining Kiss
- Rest

This spot on my team was for a special sweeper, preferably fast, and one with fairly good coverage and bulk. The only pokemon that fit this bill perfectly was (boy this is a mouthful) Physically Defensive RestoChesto Calm Mind Slurpuff. It can usually get up 1 or 2 safe Calm Minds, and Rest once it is weakened. It sheds status, so pay no mind to Toxic Users if your Chesto has not been consumed yet. Draining Kiss gets it's HP back comfortably, as well as providing STAB. Flamethrower is here to hit Steel Types that eat up Draining Kisses, and to hit Vileplume and Weezing.

GrindmyGears (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Frustration
- Gear Grind

Klinklang is actually very threatening in NU at the moment. Being able to set up on most of the tier due to its superb defensive typing in Steel is a huge plus for it. SubShift allows this mon to easily set up and avoid Thunder Waves and Will-O-Wisps from any pokemon bar Infiltrator Spiritomb. Most notably, this pokemon shrugs off Uxie and sets up in its face. after 2 Shift Gears (or even 1 a lot of the time) this thing is extremely lethal to most teams, as the only thing that stops it is Seismitoad.

Well that's it guys! Let me know your comments and suggestions for this team and for now, seeya!

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey Pokefiend626, nice team!

I think some changes would benefit your team a bit, and I'm going to not touch the Unfezant as I think it is the Pokemon you made the team around (correct me if I'm wrong):

I would change your Qwilfish to a more offensive spread with Explosion over Poison Jab, letting Qwilfish do its job as a Suicide Lead more efficiently (using Explosion as they try to Rapid Spin is pretty neat):

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Next, I would put Morning Sun over Megahorn on Rapidash, giving you a way to heal up to keep Rapidash healthy and Megahorn doesn't really provide any important coverage, and also moving that 4 HP EV somewhere else so that it can switch in on Stealth Rock four times without dying (this will be situtional as you will be using attacks with recoil and Life Orb, but you never know):

Rapidash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Finally, I would bump the speed on Dragalge a good amount so that it can outspeed base 50s, which could come in handy for you:

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Scald / Focus Blast

I am also gonna suggest you to try out Focus Blast to hit Steel-types harder and support Klinklang, Unfezant, and Slurpuff :toast:

Hope I helped!

Hey Pokefiend626, nice team!

I think some changes would benefit your team a bit, and I'm going to not touch the Unfezant as I think it is the Pokemon you made the team around (correct me if I'm wrong):

I would change your Qwilfish to a more offensive spread with Explosion over Poison Jab, letting Qwilfish do its job as a Suicide Lead more efficiently (using Explosion as they try to Rapid Spin is pretty neat):

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Next, I would put Morning Sun over Megahorn on Rapidash, giving you a way to heal up to keep Rapidash healthy and Megahorn doesn't really provide any important coverage, and also moving that 4 HP EV somewhere else so that it can switch in on Stealth Rock four times without dying (this will be situtional as you will be using attacks with recoil and Life Orb, but you never know):

Rapidash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Finally, I would bump the speed on Dragalge a good amount so that it can outspeed base 50s, which could come in handy for you:

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Scald / Focus Blast

I am also gonna suggest you to try out Focus Blast to hit Steel-types harder and support Klinklang, Unfezant, and Slurpuff :toast:

Hope I helped!
Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely be using Focus Blast on Dragalge now. Morning sun will also most likely help wonders for Rapidash's longevity, which is it's biggest flaw. Thanks again!

Hi there pokefiend, solid team! The only problem I really see is a massive ground weakness, as you are incapable of actually doing much damage to many bulkier ground types such as Rhydon or Golurk, who can almost guarantee a kill upon coming in, as unfezant really doesn't want to switch into either of those pokemon. Outside of that, the issues with this team are minimal, and I think it while not necessarily is a good team, it is definitely a fun one. Follow SG's changes as well.

To be honest, the only change I would make is to use Nasty Plot Mismagius over Slurpuff. While these are pokemon on two completely different sides of the spectrum, Mismagius does offer a few things. Firstly, its immunity to ground gives you a second switch in outside of Unfezant which is easily worn down. You also get a great Ghost typing to block rapid spin and protect your hazards, which is crucial. Finally, Mismagius maintains the fighting immunity [resistance], and builds offensive presence more quickly, having an easier time of sweeping.

Minor Changes:
Klinklang: I would run at most 88 Speed EVs, as beyond that is incredibly unecessary, since that allows you to outspeed base 95 scarfers at +2. Outside of that the rest really should be in bulk to aid set up.
SG's Changes

Hope this helped!

Mismagius @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Substitute / Destiny Bond

Hi there pokefiend, solid team! The only problem I really see is a massive ground weakness, as you are incapable of actually doing much damage to many bulkier ground types such as Rhydon or Golurk, who can almost guarantee a kill upon coming in, as unfezant really doesn't want to switch into either of those pokemon. Outside of that, the issues with this team are minimal, and I think it while not necessarily is a good team, it is definitely a fun one. Follow SG's changes as well.

To be honest, the only change I would make is to use Nasty Plot Mismagius over Slurpuff. While these are pokemon on two completely different sides of the spectrum, Mismagius does offer a few things. Firstly, its immunity to ground gives you a second switch in outside of Unfezant which is easily worn down. You also get a great Ghost typing to block rapid spin and protect your hazards, which is crucial. Finally, Mismagius maintains the fighting immunity [resistance], and builds offensive presence more quickly, having an easier time of sweeping.

Minor Changes:
Klinklang: I would run at most 88 Speed EVs, as beyond that is incredibly unecessary, since that allows you to outspeed base 95 scarfers at +2. Outside of that the rest really should be in bulk to aid set up.
SG's Changes

Hope this helped!

Mismagius @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Substitute / Destiny Bond
Thanks Brawlfest, just sayin, you can call me by Volbeatdown, it's my PS main. I requested a name change :P. Thanks for the Klinklang speed benchmark, I wasn't sure about what it needs to hit. I have actually replaced Slurpuff with Vivillon, as it provides a quick special sweeper and a ground immunity. It is a better fit than Slurpuff in practice. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey Pokefiend626 nice team dude. I'm going to agree with the changes that Soulgazer suggested as I think they definitely improve the team. I also think the NP Mismagius set that was suggested is worth a test however a few changes on Slurpuff could also help fix the Ground type problem. I'm going to suggest that you test out a more offensive Slurpuff set of 24 HP / 252 Spa / 232 Spe which lets you out pace base 95 Choice Scarfers after the unburdun boost, I also think you should try Sitrus Berry and Surf over Chesto Berry and Rest which would give you a way to deal massive damage to most Ground types as well as potentially letting you weaken Fire types for Klinklang.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf

I also have slight EV change from the one Brawlfest suggested that I think is rather important, Klinklang should be running a spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe which lets you out pace up to base 100 Choice Scarf users such as Typhlosion after a Shift Gear who could otherwise easily revenge kill you after one boost, essentially this lets you out speed everything in the NU tier after at +2.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration

Hey Pokefiend626 nice team dude. I'm going to agree with the changes that Soulgazer suggested as I think they definitely improve the team. I also think the NP Mismagius set that was suggested is worth a test however a few changes on Slurpuff could also help fix the Ground type problem. I'm going to suggest that you test out a more offensive Slurpuff set of 24 HP / 252 Spa / 232 Spe which lets you out pace base 95 Choice Scarfers after the unburdun boost, I also think you should try Sitrus Berry and Surf over Chesto Berry and Rest which would give you a way to deal massive damage to most Ground types as well as potentially letting you weaken Fire types for Klinklang.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf

I also have slight EV change from the one Brawlfest suggested that I think is rather important, Klinklang should be running a spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe which lets you out pace up to base 100 Choice Scarf users such as Typhlosion after a Shift Gear who could otherwise easily revenge kill you after one boost, essentially this lets you out speed everything in the NU tier after at +2.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration
Thanks for the recmommendations! As I said before, I switched the Slurpuff to a vivillon, and it has been working wonderfully. If i ever do decide to switch to Slurpuff again, I will run this set though, as it seems more reliable. I will switch the Klinkland immediately, so to mitigate damage from Scarfed Typhlosion. Thanks again!

In my opinion, belly drum sitrus berry unburden slurpuff is the best sweeper there is, and vivillion is a poor replacement (I 6-0ed an ubers team with a slurpuff, it helped that the only member of his team not weak to fairy was dialga, but that's beside the point.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)