Weather take-over with Gengar

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and this is a team that I recently made, battled a few times with, and it seems to work pretty well. This team revolves around getting a good amount of damage on the other teams Weather inducer (if there is one) before finally bringing mine in, and it seems to have worked very well. So without further adieu, here is my team:

THE BUILDING PROCESS

So the first pokemon (and the main test for this team) was using Gengar. Gengar isn't usually seen on a sun team, so what was the point of him you may ask? Well, What he does is that he inflicts as much damage as possible onto the opposing weather set-up as possible; if there isn't any weather on the team, then he just takes out the first pokemon he can. He absolutely works wonders on Sandstorm teams, and rain teams he does fairly well on. It's a unique take on a pokemon that most see as a threat, and with this set he is almost guaranteed at least one or two kills in a battle, using his somewhat meager defenses to his advantage. I looked at Spiritomb as well for the STAB Sucker Punch, but he was just too bulky and slow to get the job done in my opinion.

The next pokemon on the list is my Ninetales. This pokemon, obviously, is my weather set-up, so there really isn't that much to say about him. I only put him in after either the other weather inducer has either left the field or fainted after Gengar does his job. The Ninetales set that I used here is a very standard Ninetales, support set with Sunny Day and Will-O-Wisp. Not much to say here about him.

The next member of my team was Exeggutor. I have NO clue how this thing is NU. What many people suspect from an Exeggutor is a Chlorophyll sweeper, but no, i decide to use him for a more defensive purpose. Having a large amount of Defensive EV's, he is the physical wall on my team, using Harvest and Sitrus Berries in order to gain back 25% of his health WHENEVER he falls below 25%. If his health is brought down low enough, it is guaranteed that he will gain back 50% of his health back. I used this on an OU Non-sun team, and it still Walled everything to no end. In the sun, it is just unstoppable.

This right here, is almost a standard Venusaur Chlorophyll set. The idea I used for this is the same principle you use for a bulky Scizor. He has enough Special Attack, so under the sun let Growth do the work. Having the extra Bulk and Black Sludge may take away from his power a little bit, but this Venusaur is harder to take down, and it packs almost the same amount of punch as any other venusaur. Not having life orb damage is a nice touch as well. Also, since My team has a glaring weakness to Fire Types, I decided to give him Earthquake as well; after a Growth boost, an EQ will be doing massive damage.

So when building this team, I noticed that I had a lot of Pokemon that we from first generation....but not much else. I needed a pokemon that could take care of the other fire types that would harass my two pokemon to no end, as well as deal a hefty amount of damage to anything that came in, set up stealth rocks,and rapid spin. Armaldo was that answer. He is defensive in both defense and special defense almost equally, and has a little bit of speed investment, and is my stealth rocker and my spinner. I know that Sandslash has both stealth rocks and rapid spin as well, he's faster, and has STAB earthquake, but I figured that I have already used four GenI Pokemon, why use another? Change it up a bit. And with 282 Attack without any investment, he is a great choice.

The last pokemon I wanted to use was an Infernape. Infernape and Armaldo are two of my favorite Pokemon that Nintendo has made, and using both on a team was irresistible. Plus, with Infernapes dream world ability, Iron Fist, he is able to hit hard and does not take any BS from anybody. It is a punching set (Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, and Close Combat) with U-Turn, and he is choice banded. It is a very good set to use, as many will switch a water type in to block it, and they won't know what hit them. I've been able to take out many bulky water types with this set, and even dealing close to an impressive 80% damage on Alomamola with this guy.

After a while, i realized that Infernape wasn't really working out. Yeah, he was powerful, and yeah, he was able to deal a lot of damage; however, he was also really frail, and was usually one shotted by many pokemon that normally it could take out. I tried a choice scarf set for a bit, but then it lacked the power to take out many of the pokemon it hit so hard before. Then I looked up Victini, and thought I could try a mixed scarf set. I haven't looked back since. This thing is amazing. It also packs a punch for unsuspecting dark and dragon types in the form of Signal Beam and Glaciate. They aren't the most powerful moves, but with choice scarf and max Special Attack, he can sure put a dent in any Pseudo-Legendary!

I love Armaldo, he is a great pokemon in my opinion. I used him in Pokemon Ruby, and i thought it was a phenomenal choice for that team. Unfortunately, on this one, that is turning out not to be the case. He has done some work (he even took out a few Hydreigon), but he is just too slow to be a reliable stealth rocker and spinner. That...is where Kabutops comes in. He is fast, and still has a good amount of bulk to him. With access to both stealth rocks, rapid spin, and still having STAB Stone Edge, it was like still having Armaldo on the team, but with one difference: STAB AQUAJET. I know, in the sun it doesn't do much, but overall, he has great coverage against other teams with his water/stone combo. Kabutops, my old friend, welcome to the team!

MEET THE TEAM

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash

Nature: Naughty (+Att, -Sp. Def)
Trait: Levitate
252 Att / 4 Sp. Att / 252 Spd
Sucker Punch
Counter
Shadow Ball
Destiny Bond

Gengar has one job, and one job only on this team: Take out the other weather inducer. His focus sash almost guarantees that he will do this, as he will have the chance to get off any move without fear of dying right away, then can go for a Destiny Bond to "Seal the deal". All his moves used are made to counter other enemies. Sucker Punch is a priority move that gives him a quick strike against other opponents. Counter mainly lets him take down Tyranitar and Hippowdon, while Pursuit is to hit any lead weather inducer that is about to switch out. Shadow Ball is just a good stab move, and Destiny Bond finally makes sure he gets his kill. Max Attack and Speed EV's are to ensure he can exert the most power possible.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers

Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Att)
Trait: Drought
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Substitute
Will-O-Wisp
Sunny Day
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Like I said earlier, there isn't too much to say about Ninetales. She is a specially defensive wall that also sets up my weather. Max Health and high amount of Defense EV's to make her even more livable during an EQ. Speed, since she is going in after other weather inducers, is always nice to have. If you notice the set, it is a very standard set for Ninetales. The moves are Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, Flamethrower, and Sunny Day, just in Case Gengar doesn't kill the rival weather inducer. Very standard Ninetales set, but it is a very effect set. There isn't much else to say here.

Exeggutor (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Nature: Bold (+Def, -Att)
Trait: Harvest
252 HP / 208 Def / 24 Sp. Att / 4 Sp. Def / 20 Spd.
Substitute
Leech Seed
Psychic
Protect

Well, I already have a special wall on my team, and Exeggutor is the physical wall. His EV Setup is a bit all over the place, with max in health, almost max in Defense, and a little bit in Special Attack and Speed In case he does need to go on the offensive. His item, Sitrus Berry, has perfect Synergy with his ability, Harvest, and in the sun, 100% of the time he'll get a berry back. His set is a standard Harvest Stall Exeggutor, consisting of Sub, Leech Seed, Psychic, and Protect.

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge

Nature: Naive Nature (+Spd, -Sp. Def)
Trait: Chlorophyll
196 HP/ 4 Att / 128 Sp. Att / 180 Spd
Giga Drain
Growth
Hidden Power Fire
Earthquake

This Venusaur was made to be something that is very tough to take down, and he is one of the most difficult things on this team to deal with. Boasting a high 196 EV's in HP, along with his 128 EV's in Sp. Att, and 180 EV's in speed, Venusaur still takes on the role of a hard hitting Chlorophyll Sweeper. With 4 EV's into Attack, he has a pretty good 200 Attack, which is brought up to 400 with growth in the sun; that is more than enough for his physical EQ to take out any fire type it needs to. He uses black Sludge in order to heal himself. Attacks are a Mixed Growth set, consisting of Giga Drain, Growth, HP Fire, and Earthquake.

Kabutops (M) @ Leftovers

Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Att)
Trait: Battle Armor
156 HP / 24 Att / 136 Sp. Def / 192 Spd
Stealth Rocks
Rapid Spin
Aqua Jet/Waterfall
Stone Edge

No, he isn't nearly as bulky as Armaldo was, and no he probably can't take more hits. But, Kabutops is a lot more reliable than Armaldo for a few reasons. Unlike Armaldo, he isn't weak to rocks, so he won't be taking 25% health damage from rocks, more like 12%. He is also a lot faster than Armaldo, but sacrifices bulk for that; however, his priority is to get rocks up and spin if needed, so to me that isn't too much of an issue. Finally, Kabutops' Water/Stone STAB adds great coverage to this team, especially with other weather teams.

Let me explain. On a Hail team (if one is ever faced), Kabutops will be doing a heavy amount of damage with a STAB Stone edge, easily taking out top threats in that weather condition. It also outspeeds most of them. In a sandstorm, his priority Aquajet or hard hitting Waterfall will do massive damage to most top tier threats, and he won't be hurt by the sandstorm, which is always a huge plus. On water Teams, his stab gets boosted even more, so he can do a ton of damage to any Pokemon that isn't a water type. Finally, although on a Sun Team, Waterfall is still a great choice move for weakening bulky fire types such as Heatran, as well as using Stone Edge for other threats on sun teams. Because of this, Kabutops has more than earned a spot on the team over Armaldo.

Victini @ Choice Scarf

Nature: Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
Trait: Victory Star
36 Att / 4 Def / 236 Sp. Attack / 252 Spd
V-Create
Bolt Strike
Glaciate
U-Turn

This Victini is a hybrid between a Mixed Set and a choice scarfed set. This pokemon can really take a punch, and send it right back to anyone. He has max speed, and high Special Attack EV's with a small amount of Attack investment. This is because he needs to be fast and, let's be honest, victini with STAB V-Create under the sun doesn't need more power to him. Bolt Strike adds a bit of danger for Water Types, and he can switch into most dragons, a lot of them not realizing that he has the move Glaciate. finally, U-turn hits dark types for high damage and makes sure that Victini can get out of the way and live for another day.

Pokemon Cut from the Team

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band

Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Att)
Trait: Iron Fist
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Fire Punch
Close Combat
Thunder Punch
U-Turn

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers

Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Att)
Trait: Battle Armor
244 HP / 86 Def / 168 Sp. Def / 12 Spd
Stealth Rocks
Rapid Spin
X-Scissor
Stone Edge

Teams Main Weaknesses

Stealth Rocks
Stealth Rocks are a huge issue for this team. 1/2 of my team is weak to it, including my mixed sweeper and my weather inducer, which isn't good.
I do have a counter to rocks, Armaldo, but if he dies before I can get a rapid spin off, I'm absolutely screwed. I need to find a way to remedy this problem.

Water Moves
This one I'm honestly not too worried about. Yeah, a few of my Pokemon are weaker to water, but under the sun,
Water won't be doing jack squat, and I got a few bulky Grass types that can take it. again, not too worried about this "threat."

Other Fire Types
I guess this inherit with any Sun Team, but my team is very inherently screwed when Other Fire types come in. Two of my key players are weak to fire types, and because of this,
I need to be weary of rain teams that have Volcarona or any Pokemon capable of hitting me with a fire move.This is still a huge threat I need to be weary about.

Ghost Types
Ghost types are an absolute pain in the ass, and you can be guaranteed that 9/10 teams have a ghost type move on their team. I, do not (other than on Gengar, and he is meant to die almost immediately). This is a problem, because 2 of my key team members are hit super effectively with Ghost types. This makes pokemon such as other Gengars that are actually Special Sweepers and Jellicent huge issues. Yeah, my Exeggutor packs enough punch to take out these threats, but with little EV investment into special Defense, he'll also take a huge hit from a ghost type beforehand.

Dark Types
Now, honestly, I haven't actually faced too many dark type pokemon. Tyranitar is the big one, and he is usually very easily countered with my Gengar using counter on him. However, Dark type moves such as Pursuit and Sucker Punch are regularly used, and my team is weak to these moves. My Infernape kind of solved this, with the ability to switch into a dark type move if I saw one coming, but again, he was way too frail and didn't pack enough punch with a choice scarf for me to want to keep him. Armaldo's STAB X-Scissor can deal high damage, if he is actually able to use it. I should probably find a way (Other than risking my Victini by using U-Turn) to counter this type.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

That's it! This is a fun team to work with that allows you to cripple other weather teams without having to put too much work into it, and it was amazing working with a kind of weather that I haven't worked too much with! It was also great to see how some traits (such as harvest) become even more powerful when the sun is up. This team has been doing pretty well so far, but I plan on refining the team and changing it around as time goes on, as there are some weaknesses to the team (No water move for coverage, slight disadvantage to other fire types, etc.) . Feel free to leave any thoughts in the comments section, and I hope you enjoy!

Hi! Nice team you got there. I always love gengar lead. I think its innovative and can take out some of those pesky weather inducers. The gengar lead was something I personally tried out for my sun team and I have to say it works amazing. I really like the moveset on the Gengar. It is much different than mine and personally I feel it is a better moveset. Change pursit though... I don't think Gengar can run pursuit. The EVs for Gengar are odd. Why attack? Gengar doesn't need attack. Invest in defense or speed. Either one.

That being said, your team does have problems. Stealth rock is a major one. I recommend a spinner. Either a donphan or a starmie. Considering the already weakness to ghost and dark, I would recommend a donphan as your spinner. Plus, a nice ice shard can do some nice checks on those physical dragons running around in this meta.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi! Nice team you got there. I always love gengar lead. I think its innovative and can take out some of those pesky weather inducers. The gengar lead was something I personally tried out for my sun team and I have to say it works amazing. I really like the moveset on the Gengar. It is much different than mine and personally I feel it is a better moveset. Change pursit though... I don't think Gengar can run pursuit. The EVs for Gengar are odd. Why attack? Gengar doesn't need attack. Invest in defense or speed. Either one.

That being said, your team does have problems. Stealth rock is a major one. I recommend a spinner. Either a donphan or a starmie. Considering the already weakness to ghost and dark, I would recommend a donphan as your spinner. Plus, a nice ice shard can do some nice checks on those physical dragons running around in this meta.
Just popping in to say that Armaldo is a spinner. I'll do a full rate later since this is an interesting team.

Hi! Nice team you got there. I always love gengar lead. I think its innovative and can take out some of those pesky weather inducers. The gengar lead was something I personally tried out for my sun team and I have to say it works amazing. I really like the moveset on the Gengar. It is much different than mine and personally I feel it is a better moveset. Change pursit though... I don't think Gengar can run pursuit. The EVs for Gengar are odd. Why attack? Gengar doesn't need attack. Invest in defense or speed. Either one.*

You know, I looked it up and you're right. I thought I saw gengar could learn it, but he can't actually learn pursuit. I gotta change that, probably to Sucker Punch, or to Focus Blast for those using a Steath Rocking Tyranitar. As for the attack EV's put into Defense, no. The point is for him to be able to get hit down to Focus sash, deal some good damage, then use Destiny Bond. He also already has full investment in speed. I might put it into Sp. Att if I decide to use Focus Blast, but for now it stays in attack to help out Sucker Punch.

As for the spinner, Armaldo is my spinner and rocker, but he is really, really slow, and weak to really common threats. What i thought of doing is switching him to Kabutops. That way, i still have the Rocks/Spin/Stone Edge, but then I can also go for the stab priority Aqua Jet. I know it won't do too much in the sun, but (obviously not the swift swim variant in OU) it could catch a rain team with a Hurricane Volcarona or a coverage ground type off guard. He's also faster than Armaldo by a lot.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
I would also highly recommend Donphan as your spinner. Apart from that, nothing really to complain about. I REALLY liked your Gengar and Exeggutor.

I would also highly recommend Donphan as your spinner. Apart from that, nothing really to complain about. I REALLY liked your Gengar and Exeggutor.
The thing is Donphan is slow, almost as slow as Armaldo was. I want someone who is fast and in other weather conditions can sitll give me pretty good coverage, and Kabutops seems to do that. I'll give Donphan a try though after seeing a few comments saying use him though. Also, Gengar Leads i love to use just to fuck with peoples minds, but my Exeggutor is literally a staple on my team. He's stalled out so many pre-statused and leech seeded pokemon and is an absolute monster. With that minimum investment, he has 290 Sp. Attack, and 228 Def and Sp. Def. So most teams I make have either that one or a variant :) (a non-weather team i'm making has a chestoresto variant of the harvest Exeggutor)

I think you should have a Swift Swim Kabutops with a Jolly Nature and full investment in Speed and Attack. Something like Stone Edge, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Rapid Spin. Swift Swim allows him to take advantage of Rain Teams.

Sucker Punch isn't good on Gengar, but I can see it's uses. Also, you won't take out a Tyranitar any time soon with your Gengar unless you can D-Bond, this can be very problematic.

I think you should have a Swift Swim Kabutops with a Jolly Nature and full investment in Speed and Attack. Something like Stone Edge, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Rapid Spin. Swift Swim allows him to take advantage of Rain Teams.
Thing is though Drizzle + Swift Swim is illegal

Sucker Punch isn't good on Gengar, but I can see it's uses. Also, you won't take out a Tyranitar any time soon with your Gengar unless you can D-Bond, this can be very problematic.
I take them out every time with my counter :P the Focus Sash acts as a Sturdy

You know, if you're going to run a Gengar set like that, you might as well get rid of Shadow Ball (as you'll either be countering or sucker punching or destiny bonding anyways) and use Taunt. This will prevent weather leads from setting up (if they are of that variety). Abomasnow uses Leech Seed or Sub, Tyranitar can use DDance, Stealth Rock, Sub, Hippo uses Stealth Rock. Uninvested Shadow Ball, even from Gengar, isn't too great of an option, especially if you're going to be using him in a weird way, as you are. Taunt obviously has the added benefit of forcing the opponent to attack you, easing Sucker Punch and Destiny Bond prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)