Web Censorship Bill Sails Through Senate Committee

This doesn't sound too good, just read it:

Source:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/coica-web-censorship-bill/

Who says Congress never gets anything done?

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a bill that would give the Attorney General the right to shut down websites with a court order if copyright infringement is deemed “central to the activity” of the site — regardless if the website has actually committed a crime. The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is among the most draconian laws ever considered to combat digital piracy, and contains what some have called the “nuclear option,” which would essentially allow the Attorney General to turn suspected websites “off.”

COICA is the latest effort by Hollywood, the recording industry and the big media companies to stem the tidal wave of internet file sharing that has upended those industries and, they claim, cost them tens of billions of dollars over the last decade.

The content companies have tried suing college students. They’ve tried suing internet startups. Now they want the federal government to act as their private security agents, policing the internet for suspected pirates before making them walk the digital plank.

Many people opposed to the bill agree in principle with its aims: Illegal music piracy is, well, illegal, and should be stopped. Musicians, artists and content creators should be compensated for their work. But the law’s critics do not believe that giving the federal government the right to shut down websites at will based upon a vague and arbitrary standard of evidence, even if no law-breaking has been proved, is a particularly good idea. COICA must still be approved by the full House and Senate before becoming law. A vote is unlikely before the new year.

Among the sites that could go dark if the law passes: Dropbox, RapidShare, SoundCloud, Hype Machine and any other site for which the Attorney General deems copyright infringement to be “central to the activity” of the site, according to Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital rights group that opposes the bill. There need not even be illegal content on a site — links alone will qualify a site for digital death. Websites at risk could also theoretically include p2pnet and pirate-party.us or any other website that advocates for peer-to-peer file sharing or rejects copyright law, according to the group.

In short, COICA would allow the federal government to censor the internet without due process.

The mechanism by which the government would do this, according to the bill, is the internet’s Domain Name System (DNS), which translates web addresses into IP addresses. The bill would give the Attorney General the power to simply obtain a court order requiring internet service providers to pull the plug on suspected websites.

Scholars, lawyers, technologists, human rights groups and public interest groups have denounced the bill. Forty-nine prominent law professors called it “dangerous.” (pdf.) The American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch warned the bill could have “grave repercussions for global human rights.” (pdf.) Several dozen of the most prominent internet engineers in the country — many of whom were instrumental in the creation of the internet — said the bill will “create an environment of tremendous fear and uncertainty for technological innovation.” (pdf.) Several prominent conservative bloggers, including representatives from RedState.com, HotAir.com, The Next Right and Publius Forum, issued a call to help stop this “serious threat to the Internet.”

And Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the world wide web, said, “Neither governments nor corporations should be allowed to use disconnection from the internet as a way of arbitrarily furthering their own aims.” He added: “In the spirit going back to Magna Carta, we require a principle that no person or organization shall be deprived of their ability to connect to others at will without due process of law, with the presumption of innocence until found guilty.”

Critics of the bill object to it on a number of grounds, starting with this one: “The Act is an unconstitutional abridgment of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment,” the 49 law professors wrote. “The Act permits the issuance of speech suppressing injunctions without any meaningful opportunity for any party to contest the Attorney General’s allegations of unlawful content.” (original emphasis.)

Because it is so ill-conceived and poorly written, the law professors wrote, “the Act, if enacted into law, will not survive judicial scrutiny, and will, therefore, never be used to address the problem (online copyright and trademark infringement) that it is designed to address. Its significance, therefore, is entirely symbolic — and the symbolism it presents is ugly and insidious. For the first time, the United States would be requiring Internet Service Providers to block speech because of its content.”

The law professors noted that the bill would actually undermine United States policy, enunciated forcefully by Secretary of State Clinton, which calls for global internet freedom and opposes web censorship. “Censorship should not be in any way accepted by any company anywhere,” Clinton said in her landmark speech on global internet freedom earlier this year. She was referring to China. Apparently some of Mrs. Clinton’s former colleagues in the U.S. Senate approve of internet censorship in the United States.

To be fair, COICA does have some supporters in addition to sponsor Sen. Pat Leahy (D-Vermont) and his 17 co-sponsors including Schumer, Specter, Grassley, Gillibrand, Hatch, Klobuchar, Coburn, Durbin, Feinstein, Menendez and Whitehouse. Mark Corallo, who served as chief spokesperson for former Attorney General John Ashcroft and as spokesman for Karl Rove during the Valerie Plame affair, wrote Thursday on The Daily Caller: “The Internet is not at risk of being censored. But without robust protections that match technological advances making online theft easy, the creators of American products will continue to suffer.”

“Counterfeiting and online theft of intellectual property is having devastating effects on industries where millions of Americans make a living,” wrote Corallo, who now runs a Virginia-based public relations firm and freely admits that he has “represented copyright and patent-based businesses for years.” “Their futures are at risk due to Internet-based theft.”

The Recording Industry Association of America, which represents the major record labels, praised Leahy for his work, “to insure [sic] that the Internet is a civilized medium instead of a lawless one where foreign sites that put Americans at risk are allowed to flourish.”

Over the course of his career, Leahy has received $885,216 from the TV, movie and music industries, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

the right to shut down websites
Can't wait till silly American AG tries to shut down a website outside of America's jurisdiction, so Congress and the Senate can bitch about something else.

Besides, this isn't going to stop me from downloading anything. I doubt it will stop anyone else either.

Edit: Read through it again, seriously, worried about the music artists? Oh, poor 50 Cent. I downloaded his album, now he can't afford to put gas in his private jet. Can't wait until I move to Canada and abandon this sinking ship of shit.

Can't wait till silly American AG tries to shut down a website outside of America's jurisdiction, so Congress and the Senate can bitch about something else.
Well, they probably could, though. There isn't a lot stopping them, as they will just block it on their end if they are that desperate, so the website will still be up but Americans wont be able to see it.

Well, they probably could, though. There isn't a lot stopping them, as they will just block it on their end if they are that desperate, so the website will still be up but Americans wont be able to see it.
Easier said than done, unless the US government plans to implement the great firewall of china, which of course a proxy could get around..

It gives the US Attorney General power to make a website inaccessible by name worldwide. He simply tells the domain name registry in question to remove the DNS record. That takes the web address offline globally. It only works if the registry is US based, but most of the generic TLDs, like .com, .org, .net and so on, are, as are many country codes.

The fact that key aspects of the internet are controlled by US-based organisations, and therefore subject to US law, has been a concern for some time now. That concern has just become a reality.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like how they say that piracy has "upended" industries like Hollywood and record labels. Funny, because they don't appear to have any problems with continuing to give Michael Bay billions of dollars to make crap. Sounds real upended to me!

Government of the people, by the career politicians, for the big business. God Bless America.
I can't agree with this more. I mean censoring it just to americans MAYBE, but this would open up a can of worms that I just don't want opened.

Spaghetti factory.

I'm kind of hopeful however that the legal process to shut down the sites is more than just a call to the head honchos on the basis of a few files found on a certain server, then a minute later it's just GONE.

I'm Canadian though, so :\

I wouldn't worry about this too much, as even if it is passed it will undoubtedly be overturned by the Supreme Court somewhere down the line.

That said this is really retarded.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would be deeply shocked if this bill survives a Supreme Court decision. They're generally really good about upholding free speech as long as it doesn't involve brown people.

I don't see how America has the right to shut down a website globally. If its violating American law so be it, take it down from America, not the entire world.

I don't see how America has the right to shut down a website globally. If its violating American law so be it, take it down from America, not the entire world.
That's all they have the power to do. Maybe I don't understand DNS properly but there's not one global DNS, each ISP maintains their own (in one fashion or another). They may pull from some global database but they can alter it as they please, including the blocking of certain domains. The General Attorney would tell the ISPs of America to pull the domain and it wouldn't be (directly) accessible while on their network.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty sure RapidShare, MegaUpload, etc. aren't registered in the US. In any case, this is absolute bullshit. Last few years have seen the US (and many other countries in the world including Canada and the UK) go backwards with internet policy. Only country that moved forward seems to be Australia and that's because they were at the state we're looking to go to now...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The bill hasn't even been voted on by the Senate yet. Calm the fuck down and call your Senator and let him know that he's a disgrace if he gives this a Yay vote.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
"Hi

I know you will never read this. I know that one of your assistants is reading this now, probably discarding as we speak.

But please listen.

The Coica Web Censorship bill will be going through Congress soon [http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/coica-web-censorship-bill/]. Please listen to me. Like I said, this will make absolutely zero impact -- a disgrace in itself -- but I speak for the people of Georgia, the United States, and the world when I say this.

This is a bad idea.

The Internet was created as an expression of freedom; you could do whatever you wanted on the internet! It was free. Freedom in its purest sense.

And now our government, the very government that promised we the people freedom, the very one that wanted nothing but what the Internet is -- freedom in its purest form -- is shutting down our freedom.

Mr. Chambliss, I have all the respect in the world for you.

If you vote a Yay on this bill, I will lose all respect for you.

This is the future of America we are dealing with. The future of the world. The future of the purest and free-est invention ever to be created.

If you want to take that away from us, fine.

Think about your decision

Like I said, you will never read this. You will never get the message. I'll probably get some form letter saying that Yes, you did read this. But you didn't. I checked the response box, but unless Mr. Chambliss reads this letter in person, I would not like a response.

And I know that if I get a response that it is likely not real.

I expect something along the lines of 'No, your opinion is very valuable and thank you!". Form stuff.

I don't want to hear about how busy Mr. Chambliss is.

Listen to the people of America.

Vote no."

p.s. i have no respect for both of my senators they are a bunch of tools / morons / etc

The problem is that people are still stuck to the idea of absolute ownership of ideas. This is the age of Wikipedia and the use of word-of-mouth for fast, free advertising and distribution of ideas. People seem to think that because they have infinite money from big business they can do whatever they want to protect their bling and they'll eventually win, but psychological experiments have shown repeatedly that money is actually a pretty terrible incentive for intellectual productivity and the internet is corroborating that more and more.

They won't beat the internet. They'll only hurt that guy who did a translation hack for a Japanese game that never made it to America. They'll only hurt that guy who posts music that he/she likes and would like to share out of goodwill. They'll only hurt everything except the pirates.

It's not absolute ownership per se that's the problem with how people think about IP, it's more the fact that enforcement mechanisms are really fucking hard to implement, and somewhere along the line people equivocated intellectual property to property, which doesn't actually work.

The original conception of the Statute of Anne was to make sure ideas were a public good and to protect their implementation profits for a limited period to incentivise people to create them.

I think ultimately what will end up happening is a rethink of the revenue model for intellectual property. The practical and legal bases of the current system are falling apart and so a new legal and commercial model is inevitable. That's why I plan to be an IP lawyer.

"intellectual property" refers to many different areas of law, with different terms and different supposed purposes. It may be better to refer to the specific area of law.

An example of the kind of issues created by thinking in fuzzy terms of "intellectual property" is
The original conception of the Statute of Anne was to make sure ideas were...
I don't think it was made explicit in the Statute of Anne, but in modern understanding, copyright applies primarily to expression of ideas. An idea alone cannot be copyrighted; it can, if it meets certain requirements, be patented.

Like Chris Is Me said, it hasn't even been voted on yet, let alone passed so I'm not too worried.

Still, it is troublesome to see a bill like this... if it does pass, I guess it would show lobbyists have more power than we thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)