Pokémon Weezing-Galar

1694645163065.png

Type:
1694645185553.png
/
1694645200017.png

Base Stats: 65 / 90 / 120 / 85 / 70 / 60 (BST: 490)
Abilities: Levitate / Neutralizing Gas / Misty Surge (Hidden)

• Defog (!)
  • Strange Steam
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Pain Split
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Flamethrower
  • Thunderbolt
  • Play Rough
  • Haze
  • Toxic
  • Memento
  • Destiny Bond
  • Acid Spray

Level Up Moves:
- [00] Double Hit
- [01] Strange Steam
- [01] Defog
- [01] Heat Wave
- [01] Aromatic Mist
- [01] Poison Gas
- [01] Tackle
- [01] Smog
- [01] Haze
- [01] Smokescreen
- [12] Clear Smog
- [16] Assurance
- [20] Sludge
- [24] Fairy Wind
- [28] Self-Destruct
- [32] Sludge Bomb
- [38] Toxic
- [44] Belch
- [50] Explosion
- [56] Memento
- [62] Destiny Bond
- [68] Misty Terrain
TM Learn:
- [TM001] Take Down
- [TM006] Scary Face
- [TM007] Protect
- [TM013] Acid Spray
- [TM016] Psybeam
- [TM018] Thief
- [TM025] Facade
- [TM045] Venoshock
- [TM047] Endure
- [TM049] Sunny Day
- [TM050] Rain Dance
- [TM066] Body Slam
- [TM070] Sleep Talk
- [TM079] Dazzling Gleam
- [TM085] Rest
- [TM087] Taunt
- [TM091] Toxic Spikes
- [TM094] Dark Pulse
- [TM102] Gunk Shot
- [TM103] Substitute
- [TM107] Will-O-Wisp
- [TM114] Shadow Ball
- [TM118] Heat Wave
- [TM125] Flamethrower
- [TM126] Thunderbolt
- [TM127] Play Rough
- [TM139] Misty Terrain
- [TM141] Fire Blast
- [TM148] Sludge Bomb
- [TM152] Giga Impact
- [TM157] Overheat
- [TM163] Hyper Beam
- [TM166] Thunder
- [TM171] Tera Blast
- [TM174] Haze
- [TM175] Toxic
- [TM177] Spite
- [TM180] Gyro Ball
- [TM201] Misty Explosion

Overview:

While Weezing-Galar's stats aren't that impressive, its unique combination of traits including a Spikes immunity, a Defogger that can threaten more offensive Gholdengo, and access to Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split give Weezing-Galar a load of utility that's hard to come by in OU. Poison/Fairy with Levitate is an excellent typing defensively, serving as a check to Iron Valiant, Great Tusk, Zamazenta, Mewoscarada, Landorus-T, and more given some SpDef investment. Weezing-Galar is held back by its somewhat mediocre stats and lack of truly solid recovery, and poor matchups into pokemon like Garganacl, Enamorus (Specs is an easy 2hko), Cresselia, and most other special attackers in the tier. Because of this, Galarian Weezing's usage should be restricted to more balanced builds, looking for an alternate form of hazard removal while serving as a decent blanket physical check.

Tera Potential:

• 1694827582398.png
    : Tera Fire is an interesting option defensively and offensively, as it allows Weezing-Galar to flip the script on steels such as Gholdengo and Kingambit, while still keeping a good matchup into Fairies like Enamorus. Should you opt for Tera Fire, either run Heavy-Duty Boots or opt to have another hazard remover, as Weezing-Galar's longevity is shaky enough without the weakness to Stealth Rock.
  • 1694827859455.png
    /
    1694827902809.png
    : Water and Steel are both just solid defensive types all around that notably give it a better defensive matchup into Steels without giving it a weakness to Stealth Rock, as well as allowing it to take on Ice-types among other things. Be wary of Garganacl's Salt Cure, as well as potential coverage option your opponent can run that a terad Weezing-Galar wouldn't want to take. Also be wary that Tera Steel gives Weezing-Galar a Fighting weakness, making it much worse into mons like Great Tusk and Sneasler.
  • 1694828082383.png
    : Fringe option that lets Weezing-Galar check Psychic-types in exchange for being worse into both Fairies and Fightings. Only use if you're desperate for a Psychic check.

Overall, Weezing-Galar isn't going to be a Pokemon you want to tera much of the time. This Pokemon's tera type very much depends on what it needs to beat, and what you want Weezing-Galar to flip the tables on.

Potential Sets:

Physically Defense (Weezing-Galar) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate / Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Fire / Water / Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Defog / Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower / Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Pain Split / Will-O-Wisp / Haze

This is probably the Weezing-Galar set you'll see most of the time, as it leans heavily into Weezing-Galar's good physical bulk and unique role as a hazard remover that can beat many of the common spikers we have right now, such as Samurott-Hisui and Meowscarada. Flamethrower is a move I'd strongly consider for Gholdengo, but Weezing-Galar's deep utility movepool means that with ample team support its capable of forgoing said move for utility options. Levitate is the preferred ability of choice here, as it gives Weezing-Galar the ability to run Leftovers for passive recovery or Rocky Helmet for chip damage, while keeping its immunity to Spikes. There is a case to be made for Neutralizing Gas however, as it allows Weezing-Galar to further beat Samurott-Hisui, status Garganacl/Baxcalibur, turn Gliscor's Poison Heal into a liability, and so on. Should you want to go that route, I highly recommend a set with Heavy-Duty Boots so that Weezing-Galar is better able to work in a Spikes-heavy metagame.

An alternative spread you could run for Weezing-Galar is 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD with a Bold nature. This allows Weezing-Galar to avoid a 2hko from Specs Enamorus after Stealth Rock (regardless of item), and generally improve its matchup into special threats, at the cost of a significant portion of its physical bulk. You could also opt to run speed on Weezing-Galar to beat Kingambit more consistently, but I don't think Weezing-Galar's particularly great at dealing with Kingambit, even if you use Neutralizing Gas to disable Supreme Overlord. You could also experiment with more offensive sets, but I believe those won't be nearly as effective in the meta as a defensive set will be.

Conclusion:

Weezing-Galar looks to make a case as a niche Defog option and blanket defensive check in the OU tier. Thanks to its solid physical bulk, good suite of utility moves, and decent matchups into the metagame, Weezing-Galar may find a place on bulkier teams looking to condense a Defogger and physical check. However, Weezing-Galar's lack of recovery, pretty poor SpDef, and potential bad matchups make it more of a niche than a mainstay.

EDIT 1: Tweaked the set (tera types as well as where the slashed moves should go), and rewrote the Tera Potential section.

Last edited:
Galarian Weezing is a Pokemon I'm really excited to try once the update on Showdown drops, as I truly think it has potential. I'm interested to know if anyone has thought about potential partners for Galarian Weezing myself, as outside of Alomomola (with its several buffs it has received) I haven't put a ton of thought into it.

G-Weezer+Neutered Gas seems like it would prob fit best as a stall breaking support + tech option imo. Like it probably won't do much on it's own, but it seems like it has great potential to allow a sweeper to setup on a burned mon (like Baxcalibur/Garganacl) or one that has had it's stats dropped with memento (Gholdengo/Corviknight). Levitate is great check into common ground types as well (Tusk, Lando, Ting-Lu).

It def has potential to be great, and I can't wait to try it out! :))

If Weezing has Levitate + Defog, Tera Fire Flamethrower makes sense to get through Gholdengo. Overall, one of the best Mons the meta needed.

It does. That's the main niche of Gas (it has more), cause otherwise Levitate is better to fuck Tusk, Ting-Lu, Chomp, Clodsire and many Landos at the same time.
You are right Fairy Poison Levitate goes hard against a lot of mons actually.

However Neutral Gas Blocks Regenarator as well.

It will not stay OU, but it has a crazy niche

Galarian Weezing is a Pokemon I'm really excited to try once the update on Showdown drops, as I truly think it has potential. I'm interested to know if anyone has thought about potential partners for Galarian Weezing myself, as outside of Alomomola (with its several buffs it has received) I haven't put a ton of thought into it.
Slaking might make a good pairing, especially with gas eliminating the truant ability so long as Weezing is out and about.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I haven't played SV OU in a long time so perhaps this wouldn't be such an optimal pick in practice, but I theorycrafted a potentially interesting Weezing-G set for Sun teams:

Weezing-Galar @ Eject Pack
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ghost / Ground / Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpA / 132 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strange Steam
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball / Tera Blast / Toxic Spikes / ?
- Taunt

The idea here is that Weezing-G compresses the role of Iron Valiant check and additional Ground check (next to Great Tusk) that would otherwise be fulfilled by Iron Moth and Brute Bonnet, two threats that Sun can't fit on the same team when running Ogerpon-H. It checks physical Valiant sets way better than Iron Moth does thanks to its typing and natural physical bulk, while still serving as a one-time check to special sets with the given set (the EVs let you tank two Specs Moonblasts after SR and any one hit from +1 CM Valiant after SR). Grounds like Lando and Great Tusk are basically helpless against it, giving you the freedom to preserve your own Great Tusk's HP and item for other things (i.e. Kingambit), while Ting-Lu can at least be kept from freely stacking hazards if you run Taunt. As an additional benefit, Geezing has a very useful Dragon immunity that keeps things like Dragapult and opposing Walking Wake in line.

Since Weezing is neither very strong nor very fast, the moveset and item aim to mitigate some of its passivity. Strange Steam is a no-brainer as it gives you a reliable STAB move to hit things like Valiant and Great Tusk with. The crux of the set, however, is Overheat with Eject Pack, which not only allows you to threaten Gholdengo and Kingambit with an OHKO under sun, but also lets it function as a one-time slow pivot to get one of your breakers in safely while chunking whatever comes in.

While Fairy + Fire cover a good portion of the meta, the third moveslot can be used to provide coverage for a few things Weezing struggles with otherwise. Shadow Ball may be the best option as it hits Slowking-G, an otherwise problematic mon for Sun teams, though you do need to run Tera Ghost to ensure that you can win the 1v1 if need be. Luckily Tera Ghost is generally good and can double as an emergency spinblocker. Tera Blast with Tera Ground is an alternative way to hit Slowking hard while providing a resistance to Sludge Bomb, while also hitting Toxapex, Heatran, and other Fire types, but it's a wasted moveslot if you don't Tera and you probably wanna save the Tera for one of your breakers in most matchups. If hitting some of these problematic mons isn't much of a concern to you, you can also run some random move from Weezing's extensive support movepool in this slot, such as Toxic Spikes, Toxic, Pain Split, Destiny Bond?? The sky's the limit. Tera Fire is a viable Tera type if you opt for one such support move, as it lets you get extra damage on Overheat and allows you to eat a hit from opposing Ogerpon-H, though again, you probably wanna preserve your Tera for something else.

Taunt is kinda necessary in the last slot imo, for one to prevent yourself from being passive against stuff like Ting-Lu, and secondly to keep Glowking from negating your sun with Chilly Reception. If you opt for a lot of Speed investment you can also use this to shut down a late game Kingambit sweep in a pinch, but I doubt it's worth the great loss in bulk and/or power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)