We're Still Going the Distance!

It's been forever and a half since I last posted a RMT, but now I think I need one. If you look at my old posts, you'll see another RMT I posted that has a similar title. That's because this new thread is related to the old one. Yes, it's that old team, although over the course of forever and a half, it's changed a lot. I'd like to get your advice on it, since I know it could be better.

Bold red indicates changes.

Introduction

Azelf is one of my favorite Pokemon. It's fast, powerful on both sides of the spectrum, and it does all this while being smaller than a breadbox. I built this team around it's ability to be more than just a suicide lead.

We're Still Going the Distance Version 2.0

Type Chart Version 2.0

Why is this so squished...? The second version is squished too. :I Weird.

Anyway, I built this team with synergy in mind. I tried to have Pokemon that complimented each other type-wise. If you look, there's not a single glaring weakness to any given type that another Pokemon doesn't cover. More on that in the next section.

Team Building Process

I wanted this team to be based around Azelf, and, well, you can't have an Azelf team without an Azelf.

Azelf attracts Scizors and Tyranitars like buffets to fat people. I wanted something that can handle both of those Pokemon, and that turned out to be Swampert.

While Swampert is itself an amazing Pokemon, its one downside is its lack of instant recovery. That prompted me to add a Wish-passer to the team, and that is Jirachi. It has good synergy with Swampert, taking Grass attacks while Swampert handles Fire Blasts aimed at Jirachi.

Azelf is a pretty win Pokemon, but it can't sweep all on its own. It needed a partner, and that became Flygon. Flygon adds to the synergy with Jirachi -- it's immune to Ground and resists Fire attacks. Its unique typing in the OU tier is a boon to this team.

I decided that while this team loves Stealth Rock -- and what team doesn't? -- getting it up isn't as important as shutting down other leads. I picked Machamp because of its natural bulk and ability to handle enemy starters.

Finally, I wanted a sixth Pokemon that didn’t add any further type weaknesses. Snorlax was added to the team because of its Thick Fat, which handles Fire attacks aimed at Jirachi and Ice attacks at Flygon, its instant healing ability in Rest, and Curse for setting itself up. If Azelf and Flygon do their job, it makes Snorlax's role a lot easier.

Several team raters mentioned that Swampert may not be right for the job and recommended Gliscor instead.

The Team In-Depth

Machamp
252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SpDef / 4 Spe
Adamant @ Lum Berry
No Guard
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch
-Payback

I gave Machamp the lead position in this team to immediately shut down my opponent's momentum. Having such a powerful move in Dynamicpunch that always causes confusion and hits 100% of the time is a great asset to have to start out matches -- it's a safe move to use. Payback is great for Ghosts who want to switch in on the DPunch. Even if they don't stay in, Machamp is bulky enough to take a Shadow Ball and OHKO back. Instead of Substitute and Encore, Machamp now runs Ice Punch and Bullet Punch. This makes my lead more offensive and able to take out Focus Sash leads. The EV spread lets me live Lead Azelf's Psychic 100% of the time while returning the KO with Payback + Bullet Punch. Roserade is in a similar boat -- Machamp's Lum Berry wakes it up from sleep and I finish off Roserade with Ice Punch + Bullet Punch.

Against Top Leads:

Azelf:
I can always survive a Psychic and take out Azelf with Payback + BP. It doesn't matter if it Taunts, Payback is a 2HKO if Azelf doesn't attack.

Aerodactyl: Dynamicpunch, followed by BP for the KO.

Swampert: Dynamicpunching is really the best I can do. It's a 3HKO at best, but confusion helps.

Metagross: Another pain. DP isn't even a 3HKO. Best to do is to DP it, then go to Jirachi for the Explosion.

Jirachi: Pawnch'd. Getting Tricked a Scarf doesn't hurt me too badly, since Machamp is very offensive. Possible 2HKO from DP.

Infernape: Just have to take the Fake Out. Dynamicpunching will leave a huge dent in Infernape. If I roll max damage, I stand a shot at killing it off with Bullet Punch. Otherwise, I DP again.

Machamp: Dynamicpunch. Best to just flat out attack and hope for the best.

Threats:
: Azelf, Jirachi
: Jirachi

Azelf
40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive @ Life Orb
Levitate
-Psychic
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Explosion

The wallbreaker of the team, Azelf's job is to go in and cause pain. Faster than much of the metagame, Azelf can easily bring down some hurt with 349 SpAtk plus Life Orb. Psychic is your general STAB which hits neutral on much of the competition. Flamethrower roasts Steels -- Azelf has a chance at surviving a CB Scizor Bullet Punch even after SR (74.6% - 88%), and Flamethrower is a guaranteed OHKO in return. Grass Knot is on because this team has problems taking down Swampert and other bulky Waters. Explosion is a Blissey killer and a last-ditch effort to dent the opponent's team.

Threats:
: Machamp, Gliscor
: Machamp
: Snorlax

Flygon
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge

Scarfgon is my scout and revenge killer. While creating this team, it would be either Scarfgon or Scarftran in this spot, but Scarfgon's numerous resistances and no weakness to Magnezone won me over. This critter's main job is to gain momentum with a speedy U-turn. It can provide a check to Scarftar locked into EQ or SE, scare away Salamence (and Latias, though those days are now a thing of the past), and is a candidate for late-game sweeping if opposing Steels are gone. Flygon is now entirely physical, with Stone Edge as another option against Salamence and a deterrant to Gyarados. Switched Adamant to Jolly to tie with +1 Mence.

Threats:
: Jirachi
: Jirachi, Snorlax

Gliscor
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock

Swampert has now been replaced by Gliscor. Its job remains the same, only the Pokemon has changed; Gliscor is the bulk of the team. It takes beatings from Tyranitar and Scizor, both Pokemon nemeses of Azelf's, like a pro. It also puts a halt to Lucario, who otherwise will rampage through this team. Unlike Swampert, it can heal itself instantaneously, which is a clear advantage over the mudfish. It's also very fast and packs Taunt to shut down my opponent's attempts to take me down. Stealth Rock is important on any team, and Earthquake is a powerful STAB. 252 Spe is useful for outspeeding other Gliscors who run 216 EVs, while 252 HP and 4 Def let me sponge attacks.

Threats:
: Physical -- Jirachi, Special -- Snorlax
: Jirachi, Snorlax

Jirachi
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt

This little critter is the glue of my team. All of the members of this team like to be healed to have multiple goes at the opponent, and Jirachi is one of the most sturdy users of Wish. As a Steel type, its numerous resistances also provide it with many ways to get in on the action. What it actually is weak to is covered by other teammates, especially Flygon. Although I primarily use this Jirachi as a Wish-passer, in a bind it can set up and attempt a sweep of its own. I used to run Flash Cannon for Tyranitars and other Steel-types, but I found that the combination of FC and Thunderbolt is stopped dead by Swampert, so Psychic took its place.

Threats:
: Flygon, Azelf, Gliscor
: Flygon, Snorlax, Swampert

Snorlax
168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
Careful @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Fire Punch
-Rest

Finally, this is the meat on the bones of the team. Snorlax adds no glaring type weaknesses when added to the other five Pokemon, and it provides resistances to Fire, Ice, Ghost, and loads of other weak Special attacks. Like Azelf and Flygon, this beast tries to bear down on enemy walls by setting up on them and hitting them hard. Its very hard to get rid of this thing after it's Cursed. Rest is there to absorb status. If Snorlax gets low on health after Cursing its stats up, then it can simply Rest and laugh as the opponent's efforts go to waste. Fire Punch is middle ground between Earthquake and Crunch, hitting both Steels and Ghosts for less damage on each.

Threats:
: Azelf, Gliscor
Trick: Flygon eats Choice Scarves/Bands for breakfast. With the main Choice Specs Tricker -- namely Latias -- gone, Trick Specs doesn't happen very often.

My Concerns:
The team isn't offensive enough. While I have a few hard-hitting Pokemon, there isn't one that can go in and start blasting away. Azelf and Flygon are both pretty frail, and Snorlax is really slow.

Lead Machamp isn't right for the job. While it does match up well against other leads, it seems to become dead weight later on, especially without Leftovers. It needs help from Jirachi to keep going, and its hard to get Machamp in with its lack of useful resistances.

Swampert is an ass. The only move on my team that can OHKO it is Azelf's Grass Knot, but if the pixie falls, then Swampert becomes really hard to get rid of.

Well, there's my team. Please please please try not to get rid of Azelf, unless all other options have been addressed.

I look forward to hearing your comments on it! :D

PS: A huuuuuge thank you to my good friend Flamethrowa for helping me make this team. You rock, buddy!

I am not a pro rater but I see your team has a water weakness. Remember it is not only the super effective that matters, but the neutral hits as well. There used to be a thread talking about choice items and how people should choose there moves. A STAB neutral attack is always the most reliable one.
Oh your has no water moves. Maybe its just me, but no water moves looks bad.

I think you should run jolly on your flygon since after 1 dragon dance mence can hurt your team badly. you might want to run max speed on azelf since you'll getting outsped by gengar and the likes.

good luck

Hey I got your PM, let's see what we can do.

SD Lucario has fun with this team, the only member of which that can even hope to stop it being Jirachi. To fix this, i'd recommend a switch to gliscor over Swampert, who, in my opinion, is a lot better in this metagame anyway. You do lose coverage on DD Salamence, however, so this would be a matter of preference.

Speaking of, you need Flygon to be Jolly so he can at least speed tie with +1 Mence. The only way you have of stopping it once it gets going is Swampert, whom you may elect to ditch.

That's all I got. Good luck with the team.

Hello

This looks like a decent team but there is always room for improvement.
I would like to start by making your Machamp lead a little bit more offensive as it should be as a real anti-lead.

Machamp @ lum berry/ adamant/ no guard
240 HP, 248 Atk, 4 Spe, 16 SDef

- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback

With this much move coverage Machamp is destined to be a great anti-lead. The use of a priority move in the form of Bullet Punch allows Machamp to win against sash users. With the given EV's Machamp will always survive a non-LO Azelf Psychic and kill him with Payback + Bullet Punch. Ice Punch will let you deal with Gliscor (leads).
Why would you want to be slower then Swampert any way if you van prevent it to get his Rocks up (hope for some confuse hax).

Next I have to agree with Toxic Spork by putting Gliscor over Swampert.
Gliscor will make a huge asset for your team and with opposing Tyranitar flying around it becomes even more dangerous.

Gliscor @ leftovers/ jolly/ sand veil
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spe

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt/ Toxic

This set is extremely easy to use. Stealth Rock is an obvious move. Earthquake gets STAB and deals with Lucario as well as Tyranitar. With Roost you will be able to keep your health high and Taunt or Toxic will really screw over your opponent.

I do suggest ThunderPunch/ Stone Edge on Flygon. DD Gyarados will be a huge threat to your team and this will make a dencent counter.

Hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Im not sure if this is good, but I run a 76 HP/ 176 Atk/ 120 SpDef/ 140 Spe Machamp to outspeed Metagross and Dragonite, while still surviving Azelfs Psychic 100% of the time (Unless a crit happens).

just a suggestion based on what I use

Um, Andrei...that EV spread adds up to 512. Even then, that gives Machamp 169 Speed. LeadGross runs 178 and LeadNite runs 177...

Anyway, I've implemented these changes and it seems to be working well enough. I just have a few musings.

Gliscor likes to cause switches with Taunt, and I'd like to put U-Turn on it. I'd have to get rid of Stealth Rock though, since the other moves are pretty much necessary on the critter. If I do that, I'd like to have a different lead -- possibly Swampert again?

What do you think, friends?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)