What do you like? What do you dislike? (school subject discussion)

Yeah, this thread is to talk about what things you like and dislike about school. Even if you hate going to school, there is at least ONE thing you loved or love about high school, college, or junior high.

For me....

Secondary Education (High School/Middle School)

PE- I was always pumped to go to gym. I wasn't exactly the most athletic kid, but I was okay so I never got picked last and I was always able to play with someone of my ability level (for example, guarding someone as tall as me in 5 on 5 basketball. I'm only 5'5" btw.) I never really understood what was so hard about dressing for PE and how some kids didn't care that they took F's.

History- I've always kinda been into history, and my brain is like a master database for dates, so I can pull so much shit out of my ass when I need to. My favorite types of history are World War II, and the age of exploration (you know, like chris columbus, magellen, etc.)

Math- I like math mainly because I never find it too challenging. Also, I'm great at memorizing formulas, and for the most part (at least in high school) that's all you really have to do. A.K.A plug and chug.

Dislikes:

Science: I seriously have wanted to puke in every science class I have ever had. I'm not one of those kids that will say, I'm never going need this, because it is important, I just think it is dumb, and I'm no good at it; therefore, I dislike it very much.

English: yes, english is vital but i think all four years in high school and a mandatory 4 semesters in college is over the top. I'm thinking maybe 3 and 3. Honestly, I never have really liked English because I'm pretty lazy and I typically don't ever want to read. I'm okay at writing papers.

College:

Pretty much the same thing, except now we don't have PE, but I do have Education classes and I think they are awesome. I think "learning how to teach" is one of the coolest things ever.

Dislikes: well, it's english and Science again. the only good thing is that im only forced to take 20 credit hours of it (8 science, 12 english).

p.s. I'm really really bad with spelling. that's another reason I hate English.

what are your likes and dislikes?

I like everything except geography and woodwork. Geography would be okay if it was just learning things by rote, but instead they get you to do silly things like investigate the practical applications of a barometriscope in a Type C suburban slow-build conurbation. And limestone. We had to study limestone.

I am absolutely useless at woodwork and was glad to give it up at 14. I'm currently in Sixth Form studying Double Maths, Physics and Chemistry; all three of them are greatly enjoyable. I had three or four other subjects that I was considering studying, including English (which I might pick up again), History and Music.

I really enjoy languages, but there really isn't any reason for me to study them during school time — German is probably my favourite ahead of Latin, Spanish and French in that order. Yeah generally I enjoy academic work, particularly maths, and I'm rather disappointed that I could only take four options this year.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
For me, these are the things I like:

Math - Although I never seem to like the enormous amounts of homework, simply because I don't find it to be a good way of learning for me, I get really into the word problems, and believe it or not, I actually like memorizing the forumlas, they're just so damn cool!

Spanish - A million times better than having to learn French (All Canadians HAVE to take French until grade 9 or something). I didn't take french in grade 10, and instead took spanish...it was awesome, especially because I took it again and pretty much the same people are in my class, so I like that. Maybe my teacher's just awesome at teaching it, but it's an easy language to learn and it's quite fun too.

Gym (The Health part) - No, I don't necessarily like the sex ed. but I do like the healthy parts of it. I like this because it's stuff that you can actually use in real life, and it's science that doesn't suck IMO.

What I don't like:

Geography - Awful IMO. Meaningless amounts of homework that taught me nothing. Doesn't help when your teacher isn't good at explaining the 3-page long notes she gave to us.

Canadian History - This was such a meaningless course. Basically, we learned a little bit about everything in Canadian History...that's all good right? Except for one thing...Canadian history is so incredibly bland and boring!

High school

1. Science (Biology, Chem, Animal Biology, Etc..)

I am good at it and I have a genuine interest in it. I also have a great teacher and he is also pretty funny (not good enough for stand up but he is still pretty funny). If I continue to excel in the subject and still maintain interest throughout high school then I might become a Veterinarian.

2. English

My best subject. I get A's without really trying. I love writing since I am always so full of ideas.

3. Art

I like to draw and I am fairly good at it. However, I have 0 patience so I have trouble taking the time to make good drawings. Currently, I am taking comp. graphics to learn how to use some photoshop.

4. History

It is ok for the most part. I have good memory when it comes to history but I find some aspects of it boring. Right now we are learning about the middle ages so I am having a blast.

Least Favorite

1. Any second language.

I am intelligent but I just can't memorize second languages. I just can't get myself to put in enough effort to learn it. I did have an interest to learn a second language at one point but I just can't maintain anything I learn.

2. Useless math

Math that we use in life is fine with me. However learning how to write a paragraph describing twelve steps to PROVE that 2+2=4 (theroms and postulates) is something I will never fucking use. I also have a great dislike of learning super complex formulas that you will only use if your career goal is to be a mathematician.

3. Health

I dont really hate the class but the teacher is horrible. They brought him to the school to implement disipline in the students and he has taken his role way too seriously. He also told us that sodium causes cancer and NOT high blood pressure (this was due to a wrong answer key but the teacher should fucking know that sodium doesn't cause cancer) and that a humans main source of energy should come from fats (UH DUR! We get 60% of our energy from carbs. not fats)

Any type of schooling

Hates: Everything

Just kidding, sort of. I gernerally free thinking classes in which your grade is not based on an arbitrary grading system. Any part of school which enhances one's creativity and allows for some self expression is alright. I hate the conformity that permeates school life and all the other typical bullshit that everyone has deal with.

in general i preferred science/math to humanities, and this is still true

I really hate economy though argh >___<

I like math.

Only class where I get to not pay attention, take notes, or study and still pull off a 90.

Occasionally my Discrete Mathematics class can be fun.

However my favorite subject has to be Astronomy. I've always been interested in it since I was in the 6th grade.

Least Favorite? Honestly I took a government class and just didn't like it. Maybe it was my teacher but I never got into it.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In high school my favourites were Chemistry, Maths and English. Oh and Religious Studies because I knew everything better than the teacher (or that's what he said.)

well i used to like english in high school but i flunked it in my GCSEs so i have to retake it in college but its boring because i dont wat im doin cos im doin a different exam board and plus it aint as fun :pirate:

The best lessons though is IT i got a B in GCSE and i loved every minute of it! but I like IT in college better because we get to do more graphics stuff and hardware :D

loves
math-its easy and also fun
science(physics)-it really interests me
hates
wood tec-sure their are idiots in everyclass but why would you give them weapons to play with

High School:
I liked art and math, which I guess is kind of a strange combination to like. Usually artsy people hate math, and those who are mathematically inclined tend to be artistically challenged. I enjoyed art a lot because I like to draw and pretty much do anything crafty, and because I saw the class more as free time and something relaxing than an actual class (even though my art teacher was pretty strict). I liked math because it just clicked easily for me, and the answers in math are always very absolute and objective. And I just like solving math problems, they're like fun puzzles to me.

College:
I'm a sophomore majoring in industrial and systems engineering, so I haven't been able to really take many classes beyond the classes required for my major due to the 19 credit hour limit (or a lack of time on my part because the classes I have certainly do a good job of keeping me busy). I still love all of my math courses for the same reasons as above, and I play violin in the symphony and take lessons, which I enjoy very much because it's now my artistic outlet. I really hated my introductory engineering class last year because it was just so much bullshit and it was like the professor and TAs were just purposely trying to aggravate you so you'd drop out of engineering. And I currently hate physics because my professor's just pretty inept (the entire physics department is infamous for having bad professors), and statics because it's just ridiculously hard for me at the moment.

I really enjoy humanities, and also human geography.

I'm not so great at math, particularly geometry, but I already passed that, so whatever. I have yet to see any situation in live where I would need to use matrices; they're just pointless.

English sucks. Let me rephrase that, IB English sucks. Seriously.

I like science. Last year, biology was fun, and this year chemistry is awesome. I don't what I'm gonna be for Mole Day though.

Spanish is okay; its never been one of my strong points, but this year my spanish teacher has taught me more about spanish in 5 weeks than last year's spanish teacher taught me in 36 weeks.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
1) Maths, of course. I always remember being the best student in my class as regards maths ever since I stepped in a classroom for the first time when I was, like, 5 years old. And yes, this continued even when I entered University. Even in my Masters, my tutor told me I got the best external examiner mark ever (for my country) out of all Math MSc students!

2) Computer Science. I've always liked programming and the way a computer works. I was already programming games when I was 10 years old (on an old ATARI 600XL). Guess I had to make a tough choice between Math and CS in university after my first degree (my first degree is a BSc in both subjects). I don't regret choosing Math, though. :)

Dislikes:

History. I appreciate that history repeats itself and that we can learn a lot from what the people before us did, but that's it. Surely knowing that a certain guy did a certain something on a certain date in a certain place will not make my life any better. The only aspect of history I'm interested in is... the history of mathematics. Call me one-dimensional, but that's how I am.

1) Maths, of course. I always remember being the best student in my class as regards maths ever since I stepped in a classroom for the first time when I was, like, 5 years old. And yes, this continued even when I entered University. Even in my Masters, my tutor told me I got the best external examiner mark ever (for my country) out of all Math MSc students!

2) Computer Science. I've always liked programming and the way a computer works. I was already programming games when I was 10 years old (on an old ATARI 600XL). Guess I had to make a tough choice between Math and CS in university after my first degree (my first degree is a BSc in both subjects). I don't regret choosing Math, though. :)

Dislikes:

History. I appreciate that history repeats itself and that we can learn a lot from what the people before us did, but that's it. Surely knowing that a certain guy did a certain something on a certain date in a certain place will not make my life any better. The only aspect of history I'm interested in is... the history of mathematics. Call me one-dimensional, but that's how I am.
lol. It's okay. It's funny that you mention history of mathmatics. I'll probably take History and Development of Math (Math 414 at Shepherd) in my fall 08 semester. I'm kinda unsure of what the class will be like. I like history, but I love military history more than anything. Oh yeah, and math is awesome. Congrats on being the best!

High School

1) Geography

2) Arts

3) English

4) History

5) Portuguese

6) Biology

Dislikes:

1) Math
I used to be good when I was 6-7 but when It comes to learning formulas and formulas, algebric things, I was quite frustrated.

2) Physics
I hate.

3) Chemistry
I was good only when we discussed about Organic Chemistry

College:

I'm studying Letters. English-Portuguese.

Oral and Written Genres in English I to VI
Oral and Written Genres in Portuguese I to VI xcept III

Literature Studies I to V

Linguistics

Technologies of Education

Historic and Philosophic Fundamentals of Education

Dislikes:

Researches I to VI

Psychology of Learning (or something like that)

I like:

Math, English, Japanese. Some history.

I dislike:

All SCIENCE!

*It's not me, it's the teachers, I swear!

When I started taking Journalism classes for my major, I really disliked the very linear, very forced structure of the assignments we were given. However, towards the end of last semester when I took my first Reporting class and this semester, we were given much less guidance on what we should write stories about and only what style/type of article should be produced.

I've always liked English and other writing classes, and this is doubly true for my Arts and Letters reporting class; it allows me to hone the reporting and information gathering skills I gathered over the last two semesters but use the same style of more creative and somewhat descriptive writing I prefer using in my personal and fiction writing.

Straight up dislike having a 9:30 stats class for Psych. Ay gestalt...

Freshman in High school:

PE: Always liked this basically because its a great way to releive some extra energy you might have during the school day. I also happen to be an athletically gifted person O_O
Science: Ive always had something of an aptitude for this subject and im also genuinely interested in it.
English: Ive always liked to write (short stories, essays, etc.) and ive always loved reading (ive been told by many of my english teachers that my reading level is WAAAAY above average) and english just lets me build on these two loves.

Dislikes:

Math: Its not that im not a smart person, its just that i find most of the stuff that we learned so redundant and useless that I could never find myself to get into it.
History: Nothing special here, just dont give a shit about ancient civilizations lol.

Well I guess thats basically it.

Languages: English and Chinese are both quite enjoyable. French to an extent but I absolutely hate all those tenses and conjugations. I perform ok in English and I'm top in form for Chinese right now =) Self-learning Japanese is fun too. Although I suck at speaking for almost every language, I write considerably better.

Physics: Easy formulas and little to no memorization needed. What more can I ask for?

Chemistry: After going through a year's worth of work, I realized chem isn't as hard as I thought it was. The formulas are quite...logical, for the lack of a better word, and I remember those very well.

Philosophy: Debating about ethical and moral issues always interest me, and philosophy provides me with an outlet to voice my sometimes unconventional thinking.

Social Studies: Although the syllabus is nothing to shout about, we got a kickass teacher who tells us awesome stories and shows us awesome videos. Yea I like it.

PE: Our PE modules are quite varied, including swimming, field hockey, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, rock climbing, etc. And everyone generally likes them.

History: I am really undecided here. History was awesome last year and the year before, however, this year I had a crappy teacher who really does not know how to teach at all, and doesn't make any effort to improve. Aside from that, the syllabus for this year is, IMO, also quite boring. I mean History of Medicine ._____. Hopefully next year it'll get better.

Dislikes

Biology: Memorizing raw data kills me. I can't for the life of me remember all those enzymes/chemicals/whatever.

Maths: Oh god I hate maths with a passion. Ironically, I can top the class in some chapters and utterly fail others. It's just...weird. And I don't like maths. For some reason. I don't know why.

Edit: Secondary School

Likes: Languages, Social Sciences, Economics Long walks on the beach
Dislikes: Maths, Sciences

Just... one of those people, I guess.

Hmm... I used to dislike almost everything, until I decided to approach it differently. So I'll post my interpretation of common subjects.

Math- low algebra. This is easy stuff, and everyone should know it. Simple as that. Really.
-geometry. This at first glance is asdf useless useless, until you think about it. You aren't going to use mathematical proofs, unless you go into that for a living. So why learn it? This is the key to a LOT of education: you aren't learning a certain set of material, you are learning a certain frame of mind. In the case of geometry, you are learning logical thinking and reasoning. Probably a programming course would be just as good for that and also be useful in the real world, but you aren't going to see the educational establishment changing, ever.
-higher alg and calc. This is getting more abstract. This is getting more into the purer math. Sure, there are a few ties to specific real world cases, but in most respects this is simply a way to exercise your mind and provide a glimpse of the higher mathematical fields.
Science- The sciences are more tied to the real world than math, however they are also more fluid in their implementation due to the pace of technology. They are taught to let you see if you want to do any work in them, basically. So if you have an aptitude, go with it. Most schools require something like Bio I, Chem I, and Physics I, and you can take another year of one if you want.
Social Studies/History/Humanities- In a way this is the most important course of them all. You have two objectives here, two things that you should really leave the course with: first, a detailed knowledge of the history of your country of origin. This is important regardless. Second is the understanding of the forces of history. You need to understand how and why events occur, from political, social, economic, religious, and military points of view. In this sense history can be considered a course in psychology, and in this sense an understanding of history is an understanding of the motivations of humanity.
English- You are studying the great literature of recent times, and often it is the English teacher who is one of the prime supports of the high school student. As such, English is not just syntax and memorization but a study in communication specified in the English language, which is very important.
That's really it for the important stuff. Just keep in mind that you are learning modes of thought instead of just what's in the book in front of you, and that should help you out. It helped me, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)