where were you?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
when Harambe was shot?

today, May 28th, marks the 5 year anniversary of Harambe's death. I would venture it is safe to say most users here were too young to experience 9/11, but all of us lived through this.

me personally, I was in a hotel room because we were traveling for my uncle's birthday, and I happened to catch it on the morning news. I did not have a strong opinion of it at the time and it was a little surprising to see how much of a big meme it became. I transferred to a university later that year and Hillary Clinton was coming to our school to campaign, and someone defaced the flyer by writing "Hillary did Harambe". We also had a memorial set up and had students acting as street preachers talking about how Harambe died for us. I was never sure if I found this meme extremely ironically clever or just tiring.

One thing that I would like to see is an interview with the kid who fell in. He would be about 8 years old now, so maybe a few more years. I'm curious to see how he processed the situation and how he sees the whole thing.

feel free to share your experiences of this incident and the weird cultural impact it had and other thoughts and comments below.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Neil, harambe is dead...But, we can go into the past. Can we change things if we do it different?

Screenshot_20210527-222411__01.jpg

No, The Protagonist. What's happened, happened. Call that fate, I call it reality. We can't bring him back.
Screenshot_20210527-222422__01.jpg

On a serious note...
I was in school. I thought harambe was just another one of those memes that happens, you know, stays relevant for a couple weeks and then disappears from pop culture. Harambe was "kept alive" by a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons, like danny trejo with his "dicks out" thing that he got roped into. I think it being an election year really cemented harambe as a political instigator. It's just very interesting because to the zoo, they really hated the memes because harambe was like a member of their family. How would you feel if one of your friends was killed and everybody just kept making memes about them all day long?

Last edited:
when Harambe was shot?

today, May 28th, marks the 5 year anniversary of Harambe's death. I would venture it is safe to say most users here were too young to experience 9/11, but all of us lived through this.

me personally, I was in a hotel room because we were traveling for my uncle's birthday, and I happened to catch it on the morning news. I did not have a strong opinion of it at the time and it was a little surprising to see how much of a big meme it became. I transferred to a university later that year and Hillary Clinton was coming to our school to campaign, and someone defaced the flyer by writing "Hillary did Harambe". We also had a memorial set up and had students acting as street preachers talking about how Harambe died for us. I was never sure if I found this meme extremely ironically clever or just tiring.

One thing that I would like to see is an interview with the kid who fell in. He would be about 8 years old now, so maybe a few more years. I'm curious to see how he processed the situation and how he sees the whole thing.

feel free to share your experiences of this incident and the weird cultural impact it had and other thoughts and comments below.
i was 10 in my room probably playing kirby planet robobot

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yo real talk sometimes I unironically think about the kid that fell into Harambe's enclosure

who is he? what is he doing now? is he aware that he unintentionally spawned one of the biggest memes of the later half of the 2010s?
Yeah same here. But as I said in the OP he is only 8 as of now, seems a little too young to be exposed to all of this as of yet. By the time he is old enough, I wonder if anyone will still care

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)