Which Smogon forum is less shitty?

vBul or Xen

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this forum layout but how do I quote?

edit:
oh I click, "reply," I see.

The one that hasn't been hacked yet?
admittedly it's been, what, two days?

that said, i do prefer xenforo.

[also i think this thread is a little too fast; a lot of people are still biased against xenforo because they're not used to it]

admittedly it's been, what, two days?

that said, i do prefer xenforo.

[also i think this thread is a little too fast; a lot of people are still biased against xenforo because they're not used to it]

Yeah but vBulletin has had vulnerabilities forever and a day.

I'll bite, do you know why exactly this is, and why xen doesn't have said vulnerabilities?

I'm just curious; I'm not trying to sound like a smartass or anything.
Because a fair few other vBulletin forums have been hacked over the years mostly, phpbb is even worse mind you. Xen may have quite a few but I haven't really seen many of them.

it's nice to wake up to a few notifications on the top. i've also noticed that unlike before the notifications don't scare the shit outta me by making me think 'crap did i get warned for something'

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll reserve judgement until chaos & co. get out of this pre-alpha stock design and colour scheme.

I'll bite, do you know why exactly this is, and why xen doesn't have said vulnerabilities?

I'm just curious; I'm not trying to sound like a smartass or anything.
vBulletin 3 and 4 were basically disasters waiting to happen because they weren't actively developed anymore. 3 didn't get security patches anymore, meaning existing vulnerabilities would be found and exploited. 4 would eventually become the same way. I can't answer on the specificities of each package's security, but xenForo is at least under active development and getting vulnerabilities patched out.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Xenforo is better by being the more secure one alone. Now, this sort of "alpha" version of the forum is missing a lot of features, but they'll come in due time! Meanwhile, I find the smaller avatars to make browsing more aesthetically pleasing, and stuff like alerts and better URLs are stuff I'm never going to want to lose now!

yeah the alerts are what make me love the transfer- as soon as we get hide tags and a better looking background, i will be completely satisfied

As much as I like xeneforo, I am a vbulletin fanboy at heart.
i can understand being a fanboy for a lot of things, but a type of forum? ;)

hm... what is the server/data consequence for differing/customizable themes? is there a good reason to lack them aside from not bothering to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)