Media Will Full Dive VR cause the real world to be abandoned?

Hi Guys,

Will full dive VR cause the real world to be abandoned where everybody stays home and uses full dive VR instead of engaging with the real world and having in person interactions.

Or will people still want to engage with the real world and travel either within their own cities or travel overseas regardless of how immersive VR becomes?

I'm not talking about the near future, in talking about like about 20 years later when AGI comes out and we don't need to work.

Nope. I think there's a ton of issues with mass adoption of something like a full VR that that I think we are nowhere near being able to solve.
  • The price would be out of reach for a lot of people. VR as it is right now is already beyond most people's budgets in first world countries, which is going to make a mass adoption scenario pretty out of the question for a long time. I have doubts that the manufacturers are just going to be handing these things out out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • I really don't think there's actually going to be that much of a desire for it to ever get to the point you describe. As it stands, VR is a pretty niche interest for enthusiasts and techy folks, and I think regardless of how good it gets, there's going to be a lot of people (probably the majority if we're being real) that just really don't care all that much. If you can figure out how to market a VR headset to your parents, your coworkers, or your high school teachers, then you might be getting somewhere. Never mind the people who might be against the concept entirely due to personal reasons (religious, ethical, having the Matrix at least one time).
  • Real world needs will still exist. A lot of work can be offloaded onto computers, but you can't replace needing to eat with virtual food, or exercise with a virtual hike. Until we straight up ascend from our physical bodies, we're going to have to do stuff in the physical world. Also, people actually like doing things with their physical bodies.
  • God that not needing to work point is carrying so much weight in making this sound even slightly possible. We're nowhere close to having everyone's basic needs met via automation, never mind complicated stuff. Look up ChatGPT lawyer and tell me we can trust computers to handle legal cases anytime soon.
    • Also uh, are we entrusting the maintenance of our new VR world to the computers that run it? Like they're going to update themselves, fix bugs, and take care of the entire population of Earth?
Anyways, speaking as someone who spends too much time online and probably is the target demographic for VR... Yeah, no, this isn't happening in 20 years, and I'd take any bet against this ever happening in our lifetimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)