[WIP] Clefable

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is definitely in the WIP stage; bear with me while I do testing. If you have any set recommendations, lemme know. Also, Unaware is currently unobtainable, Stellar?

Gengar's shadow

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Fairy-type</li>
<li>HUGE movepool</li>
<li>Two great abilities</li>
<li>more to come</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>still bad speed / def</li>
<li>more to come</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

SETS:

Offensive CM
Softboiled + 3 Attacks
Defensive CM
All Out Defensive

[Checks and Counters]

<p>physical attacks; more to come</p>

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure Softboiled is illegal right now because of it being a Gen 3 only tutor move.

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Birkal said:
Also, Unaware is currently unobtainable
As far as I know, you can get Clefairy from Friend Safari with its Dream World ability Friend Guard, which translates into Unaware, so yes you CAN use it.

Also, the lack of Softboiled sucks really bad. You CAN use Moonlight, I guess...? IT's an inferior option due to the weather effect and lower PP, but the weather nerf helps it quite a bit, and Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur are using Synthesis because of this.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been using clefable nonstop on wifi and ps. Max defense with wish, protect, calm mind, and moon blast with magic guard. It is the best Pokemon on the team and I've broken top forty multiple times. I'll contribute more when I'm not on my phone. Unaware is available.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah the first set should definitely be the one that Stellar mentioned. Also, give it a Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IVs to take as less damage as possible from Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, which does 35% on average against max HP / max Def+ Clefable, a 0.71% chance to 3HKO. Mention Magnezone with Hidden Power Fire as one of the best partners to this Clefable.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I can indeed vouch for Stellar's set, but I also think a CM + 2 attacks + Softboiled set at least deserves a mention, since it works for teams that can afford to forego Wish support for an extra coverage move:

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower / Shadow Ball
- Softboiled

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I've been using clefable nonstop on wifi and ps. Max defense with wish, protect, calm mind, and moon blast with magic guard. It is the best Pokemon on the team and I've broken top forty multiple times. I'll contribute more when I'm not on my phone. Unaware is available.
I've been using this exact set on PS as well, and it has twice won with a 6-0 sweep. Even when it doesn't have a chance to sweep, it's a very effective wish-passer and dragon check.

Also agreeing with alexwolf that Magnezone is an amazing partner since it suffers against opposing steels.

Since talonflame is so popular right now it might be worth a mention that an unaware bold/relaxed 252 hp/252 def clefable is 3hko by talonflame so it can come in and check talonflame if you slash in thunderbolt in the set since both flamethrower and moonblast are nve against talon. This would be most effective on a moveset like

wish/protect/thunderbolt/moonblast

and Shroomisaur are we perhaps looking at the birth of fairyzone teams? :D

This thing has the potential to be amazing. Fairy-type is great offensively and defensively, and with STAB Moonblast, Dragon-types (especially strong ones such as pseudos) are gonna have a bad time.

How viable is a bulky CM set? Something like

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
- Moonlight

It's decently bulky, and although it doesn't have access to Softboiled, you can use Moonlight in it's place allowing you to forgo having to use protect and gaining an extra coverage move. With weather being less prominent, the drawbacks of Moonlight are a little less painful

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Birkal you have two days to update with the sets proposed in the thread and in general add info, otherwise this will get reassigned.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I've been on Leave of Absence up until this past Tuesday. I won't have any time to work on this until Thursday or Friday due to Thanksgiving. If it absolutely needs to be done before then, go ahead and reassign. Otherwise, I will be on it ASAP.

Bulkp special

Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
  1. Clefable should have 12+ Speed EVs to outpace zero investment Tyranitar.
  2. Flamethrower/Fire Blast versions should at least mention 44+ Speed EVs to hit Scizor when it tries to U-Turn (which will be a high % of the time, so if we're always switching out, we're giving up a big momentum advantage).
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Clefable: 296-350 (75.1 - 88.8%)

212 Def imo sounds a lot better, I did a testing earlier with the same scenario with max Def Clefable, the difference is only like 70 something to 85.6% or something. Might be the difference to outspeed certain pokes since Clefable is slow. Aromatherapy also sounds very viable slashing Calm Mind if you have other people in your party that don't like status.

EDIT: 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%)

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shartruce2 has been using a pretty cool Unaware CM Clefable set on a stall team, a set which I shamelessly stole for my own pre-bank stall team. Unaware is a really underrated ability right now. While it's true that Clefable hates being Toxic'd, the teams which use this set should opt to run a cleric anyway. It's very nice to have something that can ignore the boosts of something like SD Garchomp or DD Charizard X and take them out with Moonblast. Anyway, I think Unaware should be slashed on the Calm Mind Clefable set when it is officially written up.

I posted this exact set in Clefable's thread closer to the beginning of the metagame, and it was shrugged off and almost completely ignored... >_>

Anyway, I'm glad to see it'll be in the analysis though! I also agree that Unaware should be an option on it. It's pretty unexpected, and if you can disguise it well enough, you can set-up alongside all sorts of boosting sweepers.

Clefable is a great sweeper on Baton Pass teams, thanks to Stored Power, Unaware, and immunity to Dragon Tail. It can come in (usually being passed speed and Iron Defense boosts from Scolipede), set up against an opponent's set up sweeper with Calm Mind, and nail most Dark and Steel types who resist Stored Power with Moon Blast and Flamethrower. Moonlight can be used as well, to avoid getting worn down while your boosting, but you would have to forgo either Flamethrower (leaving you walled by Steels), or Stored Power (losing your potentially strongest attack, and leaving you walled by Fires).

I don't think that deserves a set of its own, but it should be mentioned in the additional comments of a Calm Mind set eventually.

I posted this exact set in Clefable's thread closer to the beginning of the metagame, and it was shrugged off and almost completely ignored... >_>
I asked you if it would've been worth it to run Fire Blast/Flamethrower on the set instead of Protect but you never responded...

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
  1. Clefable should have 12+ Speed EVs to outpace zero investment Tyranitar.
  2. Flamethrower/Fire Blast versions should at least mention 44+ Speed EVs to hit Scizor when it tries to U-Turn (which will be a high % of the time, so if we're always switching out, we're giving up a big momentum advantage).
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Clefable: 296-350 (75.1 - 88.8%)
To clarify, the standard EVs for Calm Mind movesets should be:

With Fire Blast/Flamethrower: Bold / 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Mono Moonblast: Bold / 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd

+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Clefable: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)