[WIP] Tyrantrum

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Great Attack and Defense</li>
<li>Good wallbreaker via Choice Band</li>
<li>Rock Polish can turn it into a viable sweeper</li>
<li>Great coverage move and offensive typing</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Undesirably slow</li>
<li>Poor special bulk</li>
<li>Weaknesses to a large variety of types, including Dragon-, Ice-, and Fighting-type attacks<li>
<li>Useless ability if Crunch (some some other biting move it has) isn't used</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Tyrantrum @ Choice Band<br />
Ability: Strong Jaws<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe <br />
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Dragon Claw<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Crunch</p>

• Breaks through walls for teammates to clean up
  • Not the greatest Speed, but it's at an odd Speed tier that allows it to outspeed Pokemon such as Breloom and Metagross
  • Weak Dragon-type attack but it's all it has atm, otherwise great coverage
  • Skarmory is a good counter to this set due to it walling all of its attacks and healing it off with Roost
  • Faster opponents such as Greninja could KO it without difficulty

<p>Tyrantrum @ Life Orb<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe <br />
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)<br />
- Rock Polish<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Dragon Claw<br />
- Earthquake</p>

• Remedies Tyrantrum's Speed
  • With Rock Polish + Jolly, it reaches a 482 Speed stat, outspeeding the vast majority of the tier
  • Hazard setters would be appreciated so that Tyrantrum could sweep much easier
  • Physical tanks such as Hippowdon can still wall Tyrantrum; special attackers such as Greninja and Alakazam can rid of them so it can sweep

<p>Tyrantrum @ Life Orb<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature(+Atk, -SpA)<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Stone Edge<br />
- Dragon Claw<br />
- Earthquake</p>

<p>Tyrantrum @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe <br />
Adamant Nature(+Atk, -SpA)<br />
- Stealth Rock<br />
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Toxic</p>

• Standard offensive SR set for Tyrantrum
  • Uses its good physical bulk to set up SR; it can weaken the foe beforehand if necessary
  • Toxic - good for crippling walls
  • Taunt users and/or Espeon - easy way to stop this set from succeeding
  • Obv Pokemon that appreciate hazard support are great allies, specifically Gengar, who could not only spinblock but deal with Fairy- and Grass-types that threaten Tyrantrum

[Checks and Counters]
  • Physically bulky Pokemon: Skarmory, Hippowdon, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Donphan, etc
  • Specially offensive Pokemon: Gengar, Alakazam, Greninja, Venusaur (However, if Rock Polish is set up, Tyrantrum could outspeed and KO the former 3, making them great checks)
  • Gliscor - dead stop to Tyrantrum
  • Aegislash - Tyrantrum can take a +2 Shadow Sneak, but not a Sacred Sword
  • Burn status cripples it
  • Strong physical attackers could break through Tyrantrum as well - Lucario (only a check as Tyrantrum could outspeed with Rock Polish)

Last edited:

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, it's ready for QC; I wanted to ask for opinions on the SR set, as it seems pretty outclassed by Tyranitar in terms of utility and defense. Is it worth a set, or no?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would definitely add a Dragon Dance set - it is capable of learning it.

Also, I don't know how it is obtainable yet; however, Tyrantrum's Hidden Ability is confirmed to be Rock Head, so if there is a possible way of getting it - mention it with a Scarf set and... probably change every set to accommodate it.

Governess

Colonel M , the option for Rock Head on the sim isn't there to choose yet, so unless it's added in to test, I can't really have it in the analysis. I do like the idea of a DD set, however; I'll try it out and see what it has to offer.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly so long as Rock Head is somehow able to be obtained, I think it's really common sense that Rock Head would be superior.

What's better - a slightly boosted Crunch or a 225 Rock-type attack?

Governess

I wasn't saying that Rock Head isn't superior, as it obviously is, but if you can't even use it on the sim, why place it on an analysis where people look to make sets? I'm sure that it'll be updated to fit this, but until then I don't want to add it in and then have people confused when it's not there.

EDIT: Snunch is gonna look at this later once Rock Head is released so he can put his two-cent in.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I wasn't saying that Rock Head isn't superior, as it obviously is, but if you can't even use it on the sim, why place it on an analysis where people look to make sets? I'm sure that it'll be updated to fit this, but until then I don't want to add it in and then have people confused when it's not there.
The simulator is 100% irrelevant to this situation. It would be different with regards to the cart (the real question being is if Rock Head Tyrantrum can be obtained within the game as of yet or if it is an event of some sort). The analyses reflect what happens on the carts anyway - Togekiss currently doesn't have Dazzling Gleam on the PS! simulator, and it will not deter me from adding it into the analysis since Togekiss can learn Dazzling Gleam on the cart and can be obtained with no issues.

Either way, despite it being confirmed I cannot find a way to obtain Tyrantrum's Hidden Ability nor Aurorus's, so for now just keep it in the backburner.

Last edited:

Governess

Thank you for catching that; from the few posts above, I stated that I was still testing it (and still am) for partners, etc, so I'll update on that later.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I haven't tested it yet and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but I would presume Magnezone (especially Specs) would be an ideal partner.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I reckon that even if Tyrantrum doesn't have Rock Head, I'd still use Head Smash over Stone Edge as its STAB. 50% more power is worth the recoil, IMO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<li>Useless ability if Crunch (some some other biting move it has) isn't used</li>
Remove this as it gets the elemental fangs.

Also, add SR as a pro as the pool of viable SR users is really small atm.

Fill in the set comments on the sets that don't have them and make sure to put whichever elemental fangs are needed on each set, Tyrantrum has been confirmed to get them.

You have one day to update this as it has been inactive for far too long, otherwise it is getting reassigned.

What about a sun team Tyrantrum @ Life orb jolly nature with DD and fire fang. Dragons do well on sun teams and he has a quad-resist to fire. Letting him tank some flare blitz's and weaker fire attacks
Also I think ninetails and mamoswine would make great partners, the former for the sun and the latter because it checks many of Tyrantrums ground type counters and can set up rocks, making a sun sweep much easier

Last edited:
I think this should include a set with the Elemental Fangs, seeing as their BP is 98 iirc. If you ran DD + Fire Fang + Electric Fang + Ice Fang you cover every single Pokemon- bar Rotom H. It is super effective against 436 Pokemon, and neutral against 337. With a LO this set is pretty viable imo.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure on the SR set.

If you are trying to get a SR set going, I wouldn't be running moves like Toxic, or even Leftovers, a defensive SR settting Rock Type is done better by Tyranitar with access to Assault Vest, or even its Mega form + better bulk anyway, however what Tyrantrum does have access to, is the freedom to run a more aggressive SR set. Like, im js that if I wanted a defensive SRer, than Tyranitar usually runs. Like with what the set like looks now, id run Tyranitar over it, if I wanted to run Tyrantrum as a SRer, then I would run a more aggressive set, something like Mamoswine used to run, with 3 attacks, aggressive coverage, and SR as a move to use if you can force a switch. I don't know if this makes SR a good set, but its certainly how I would run it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)