ORAS Ubers Yveltal-Gengar Team

I used to play in Ubers, but stopped probably close to a year ago by now. I was feeling pretty bored, decided to come back to Ubers, and saw that viability has shifted quite a bit (I last played when Latias was the go-to defogger, and Dragonceus was unheard of). This was the team I made to try out the tier as it currently is.

I wanted to build a team with Yveltal, as I've always liked it as something that can punch holes in teams really well.

A good core with Yveltal is Yveltal/Gengar, so I decided to pick Gengar and work out from there.

Every good team runs a PDon of some sort, and in this case I decided to run support PDon to set up rocks and help wear down the enemy team

I needed a Xerneas check, and I decided to pick Klefki, as it checks Xerneas fairly well, and can spread statuses and set up spikes, which also wears down the enemy team really well.

The team at this point had no good way of handling Ho-Oh, so I decided to add Arceus-Ground to help with Ho-Oh, as well as enemy PDons.

Lastly, I needed something that could handle fast revenge killers, so I went with ScarfXerneas.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
LO Yveltal is a great wallbreaker and is what I decided to build the team around. The power of Dark Pulse isn't to be messed around with, and Oblivion Wing gives it some much-needed staying power, as rocks + LO recoil add up greatly over time. Life-Orb Boosted Sucker Punch is the strongest priority in the game, and helps a lot with finishing off weakened pokemon as a mini-revenge killer. Lastly, U-turn helps bring in Mega-Gengar onto things that would threaten Yveltal, allowing it to trap and do what it needs to do. However, the EV Spread I got from Smogon is a bit awkward for my tastes, as it seems a bit slow IMO, but I do like it on the bulkier side, and taking points out of Sucker is a waste.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
Gengar is a good partner with Yveltal. Yveltal is one of the best switch-ins for Ghostceus out there, and Gengar can trap and dispose of threats that would hurt the team in general. Taunt is there to help against support pokemon that have gotten trapped. Destiny Bond can force trades with threats that are otherwise awkward to deal with, such as ESpeed Arceus. Sludge Wave is a powerful STAB move with a nice chance to poison, and Focus Blast adds coverage to Dark types primarily.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough
Klefki is a great GeoXern check, as it can TWave it, letting something else come in safely and dispose of it. Spikes are there to rack up damage on the enemy team, softening them up for some OHKOs, as well as putting pressure on the enemy team in general. Toxic helps take down non-sweepers who don't care about being paralyzed that much. Lastly, Play Rough is there to stop Klefki from being complete taunt bait, although to be honest, I've never found myself using it a whole lot, and might replace it for Foul Play.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge
Primal Groudon is a must-have on most teams, and it definitely has its place on this team. It can somewhat check Xerneas, most steel types, and most rock types. Stealth Rocks are there to help with Yveltal, Lugia, and just wear down the enemy team in general. I'm running EQ over PB because the lack in power isn't all that important on a defensive mon, and I don't like PB's accuracy. Lava Plume helps spread burns and can take down Ferrothorn, Genesect, Scizor, and other fire-weak mons. I decided to run Stone Edge for the last moveslot to help with Ho-Oh, as I already had Klefki with TWave, and I felt Gengar + Klefki checked Xerneas well enough to not need a phasing move.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover
I decided to run Arceus-Ground as my Arceus type to help with Ho-Oh and enemy PDons. It can both switch in and fire off Earthquakes/Stone Edges and recover on free switches, and set up with Swords Dance when its checks are weakened/killed. Its typing is a bit redundant with PDon's, but their roles are different enough to justify running both mons imo.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder
Xerneas was a pretty hard choice to make. I was pretty weak to revenge killers, and had no Darkrai check. However, I also had no defogger on the team. In the end, I decided to run Sleep Talk Scarf Xerneas, as my team doesn't mind entry hazards too much, plus with 2 mons that set up entry hazards, I'm afraid that defog would be a bit counter-productive. Xerneas can handle fast revenge killers, such as Deo-A, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Kyu-W, and Mega Salamence, plus it can switch in on the Dark Void, and use sleep talk to OHKO Darkrai. Overall I'd say Xerneas is probably the most easily replaced pokemon on the team, but it checks so many mons that it's hard to justify removing it.

Kyogre is probably the biggest threat to my team. My only real answers to it are PDon, Destiny Bond Gengar, and a sacrifice play with Klefki, which makes GeoXern quite a bit scarier.

ESpeed Arceus is another pretty big threat. Gengar can trap it & kill it with Destiny Bond, but beyond that, I can try to pray for TWave hax, and not much else.

This team also struggles with entry hazard spamming teams in general, as I lack a defogger/rapid spinner.

There are probably other huge threats that I'm missing/having found yet, but it's hard to find flaws in a team at the bottom of the Ubers ladder. However, I don't think there's a threat as big as the ones mentioned previously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)