CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
*coughLAVADRAcough* lava+salamandra. salamanders can be grass too y'know.

anywho, nice sketch koa

Here's a rough draft of my sprite. It can change very easily at this point and I just wanted feedback on its position/anatomy/other little details. I'll fix the feet up when I sprite it.

Here's a rough draft of my sprite. It can change very easily at this point and I just wanted feedback on its position/anatomy/other little details. I'll fix the feet up when I sprite it.

The leg positioning look weird.If they where spread apart symmetrical it would look better.Plus it looks like you have problems seeing the full chest and some of fire ports on it.KOA pose shows the whole pokemon which is plus in its favor off the bat.

Cool to see that more than just KOA is trying to make a sprite for this Pokemon! I look forward to seeing all the sprites that turn out.

Somebody had to be first, I guess. I hope the transparency/8-bit color turned out okay because my good ol' copy of paint shop pro doesn't support it, I had to figure it out myself. Other than that... well, I'll let you guys C&C on it.

Now i'm not a artistically talented person, but for some reason i don't like how the snout seems to be too long, and the tail is taking up half of the picture width wise. Also not liking how it looks like T-Tar for some reason.

Now i'm not a artistically talented person, but for some reason i don't like how the snout seems to be too long, and the tail is taking up half of the picture width wise. Also not liking how it looks like T-Tar for some reason.
I feel the same. It meshes with the shoulder. But still, good work.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Somebody had to be first, I guess. I hope the transparency/8-bit color turned out okay because my good ol' copy of paint shop pro doesn't support it, I had to figure it out myself. Other than that... well, I'll let you guys C&C on it.

Many people don't realize how hard it is to scratch a sprite. This is very good work. I like how you did the chest armor. I'd make the feet a little bigger.

i like that sprite, but it seems kinda small compared to the other sprites made for CAP.

the fact that the design that was chosen is so complicated will make it really hard for any sprite to do it justice.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Just for fair warning, this sprite might not be as large in relation to the others I've made, due to the fact there's more going on with him.

This is a preview though and is the largest I can get him to look good with the confined space.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dane & Aki: I was stumped at first because the snout was, if anything, stubbier than the original. But on closer inspection think I get why it would look "off"- basically I made the head too much in my personal style, so it kinda looks off-model.

Doug: Thanks, and I agree with the feet. The legs and feet gave me some trouble in the original sketching- it's hard to get the proportions and posing looking right.

Pat-Tar: Your eyes aren't deceiving you. I made the sprite 5 pixels smaller than the limit- maxed out sprites are a pet peeve of mine... (but in this case it was convenient because I enlarged the feet!). It's also a matter of the woodman design itself, which has a larger head-to-body ratio than the previous CAP pokemon, in addition to being a more complex design... basically, you have to draw him at a smaller 'scale'. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Anyway, I made some changes based on the suggestions. The original is on the left, the next two modified the head/feet and I tried new tail positions.

I realize that spriting is hard work, but I keep imagining a sprite with his left arm up and pointing to the side or something. It just seems weird, considering the original artwork and how the stance on the original artwork is. I actually really liked that stance, and looking at him pointing his arm-gun-thing at me like that just seems strange.

He also seemed a bit bulkier in the artwork.

It's a great set of sprites, though, omnitarian.

Does it count as scratch if I resize the original picture for a general outline?
That would be a pixel-over.

I finished shading mine, but I stil need to fix the outlines. It should be up by tomorrow. I like Omnitarian's pose the best (over mine and KOA's) I'm better at spriting my own ideas.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dane & Aki: I was stumped at first because the snout was, if anything, stubbier than the original. But on closer inspection think I get why it would look "off"- basically I made the head too much in my personal style, so it kinda looks off-model.

Doug: Thanks, and I agree with the feet. The legs and feet gave me some trouble in the original sketching- it's hard to get the proportions and posing looking right.

Pat-Tar: Your eyes aren't deceiving you. I made the sprite 5 pixels smaller than the limit- maxed out sprites are a pet peeve of mine... (but in this case it was convenient because I enlarged the feet!). It's also a matter of the woodman design itself, which has a larger head-to-body ratio than the previous CAP pokemon, in addition to being a more complex design... basically, you have to draw him at a smaller 'scale'. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Anyway, I made some changes based on the suggestions. The original is on the left, the next two modified the head/feet and I tried new tail positions.
I like the one on the right best.
Maybe you should color in the center of the cannon so that it doesn't just appear a blank white.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Does it count as scratch if I resize the original picture for a general outline?
It is a officially called a pixel-over, but it is allowed if the sprite is derived wholly from original work of this project. A pixel-over of Elagune's drawing is not a fusion of other sprites, which is the main thing we want to avoid. Also, Elagune specifically submitted his design for the purpose of the project deriving a sprite from his work. Many scratch spriters like to make their own pose and interpretation, but it is not required.

yeah, omnitarian's seems too stout, too compact

i like the original design, something like a gorilla lizard

anyone is free to edit this (and someone please transparentify the background i can never figure that out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)