CAP 5 CAP 5 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking Wyverii's, it looks the mos like a POkemon, but I'll expect that there is a lot of work left to do. I think Wyverii is once again my frontrunner, no offense to the rest in this thread, they all look great. Better than I could dream of doing.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Posts have been deleted since they contributed nothing to the spread. People should only post here if they are submitting something or are critiquing something, be it positive or negative. This is so the thread doesn't become clogged with "zomg niec art!"

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now THATS more like it. I like the style+pose, only nitpick is that the head is about 5 pixels too wide.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T like wyverii's? (No offense)

New ones :S
They look a little fat, but that could just be construed as a close-up shot. The coloring is VERY nice in my opinion (zomg niec art! lol) and it looks just fearsome enough to be a sweeper.

I kinda liked your second one better Atyroki, this latest one seems...fat. If it were me I'd work off the second one. Liking Wyverii's too but not sure if I like the position of the bottom claws, maybe move them farther back so it looks like it's moving? Otherwise turn them around, if it's just floating or in an attacking position I'd make it like the original art.
EDIT: I hope someone goes with the black stone shiny version...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Any chance you could comment on the flipped version, which is what I made the edits to?

Heres the edit:

EDIT- Also changed the eyes a bit, because PapaCAP got me thinking... though I didn't darken them. Was difficult to upload for some reason...
I like where you are going with this one EM. I think the size is fine. This feels like a small pokemon to me. But, since the pieces are small, you need to make your outlines a little more defined. Right now the sprite looks "blurry" because of the gray outlines. Darken up the gray parts of the outline considerably. Generally, even a very dark gray is easily distinguishable from black. If you add more contrast to your outlines, I think your pose will stand out more.

I've got a lotta tweaking to do.
As expected, a top-notch submission from Wyverri, the Smogon Pixel Art Queen. You did a great job of differentiating gray stone from metal. I also like that you have made the eyes more magenta than red. YDG used magenta and red in various pieces, but I prefer the magenta. I also like that you have a hint of those three "diamond" shapes on the head.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T like wyverii's? (No offense)

New ones :S
Yes, you are the only one. ;-)

I like this sprite better than the previous one, Atyroki. This a very dynamic pose and is the most attack-oriented of the sprites posted so far. Great job on the coloring. The head looks a little bulbous. See if you can make it more aerodynamic. Nice submission.

I like the new one Atyroki. My only problems are the head it a bit too wide, and that the little stones aren't very proportionate. You don't really need them there anyways, since they're mainly used to fill the empty space which makes the sprite look strange. You can either take some out and increase the size of the rest, or make th bottom limbs bigger and take some floating stones out.

I like Wyverii's, even though the texture isn't very pokemon-y (I'm one to talk! >_>). The texture is still amazing, as is the rest of the sprite.

...Atyroki picks good shiny colors. =/

I disliked the limbs so I redid them completely. I loathe using grey/greyish colour schemes and i'm very unhappy with it so far so i'll be messing with it further.

My fav so far's Atyroki. Most of the issues with it's already been picked on.

Hopefully it looks a bit speedier now?

@Wyverii: My main issue with yours is the round-ness of the head :S

Some of the perspective is confusing as well, with the upper right claw much smaller then the others @_@

I disliked the limbs so I redid them completely. I loathe using grey/greyish colour schemes and i'm very unhappy with it so far so i'll be messing with it further.

Right on target!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus

Whoooa! That's really cool. It's something in between your first one and the Atyroki's fat-sprites. The only thing is the second body ring... Needs to be in the same direction of the first ring.

Whoooa! That's really cool. It's something in between your first one and the Atyroki's fat-sprites. The only thing is the second body ring... Needs to be in the same direction of the first ring.
Does it? I personally assumed that if I cut the rocks between the rings I could bend the gap like a joint (think of it as the thing's waist). If that's not YDG's intention i've got some artistic license over the sprite. ;p Thank you muchly for the concern though.

Small update addressing a few things that people pointed out and minor shading edits.

Follwing Doug's advice, I darkened the colors used on the outside. I also did a shiny... the black and blue is too much like Wyverii's though. I'm planning on chaning the color of the gems. *wink*

EDIT- and here's the new gem coloring...

...but most people like the blue better so waste of time.

The yellow would be good but you can't really see the gem-likeness in his eyes, cuz the white doesn't show. Maybe try keeping the red? Also to you guys using the black, consider giving it a deep black, shinier appearance rather than a mineral-like appearance. I posted this before but this is the rock I'm getting the inspiration from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/ObsidianOregon.jpg, a volcanic rock, but YDG's original rendition had a shiny surface too.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Follwing Doug's advice, I darkened the colors used on the outside. I also did a shiny... the black and blue is too much like Wyverii's though. I'm planning on chaning the color of the gems. *wink*

EDIT- and here's the new gem coloring...

...but most people like the blue better so waste of time.
Mmmh, That's good. But, the head looks like a Steel Type... The other thing is the littles rocks... you have to put the rocks near... See Wyverii or Atyroki's sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)