Serious LGBTQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really speak for any transgender individuals on this site (not only because I am not transgender, but really because it is not my place to do so), but I'm still gonna try and add something of value to the topic anyways. I don't claim to have the most perfect-est understanding of transgenderism or the concept of gender identity so if I happen to be off base in the most horrible, awful way possible I'd appreciate it if someone would take the time to point that out (not that I should have anything to worry about in that regard - people have made some really wonderful posts in this topic <3).

Also I kinda don't know exactly how I'm going to go about writing this so I may adhere to gender stereotypes while trying to make a point solely because it's concrete / monochrome / easy to identify and understand. I also might not, too. Still trying to figure out how I wanna write this as I write it. Let's see how much of my Introduction to Anthropology class I actually retained.

I'm not confusing anything. I was confused as to why the concept of gender even exists.
Would you care if I asked you a few questions in return? I hope they're not too invasive. You identify as a man, yes? Have you ever thought about why you identify yourself in such a way? Do you feel that you are a man solely because you have a penis? Do you feel that an individual's genitalia is the only meaningful criterium that comes into play when deciding whether or not you are a man or a woman (this may not be phrased in the best way possible but I hope it gets the idea across well enough)? Do you feel that this label is appropriate when factoring in the societal expectations and norms associated with (and often enforced upon) the gender you identify under? If your answer to any of these questions is "yes", would you mind explaining your answer? I know you wanted to avoid going too particularly in depth with your initial question to avoid sounding sexist / like a douchebag, but I feel like if I knew more about why you feel the way you do, or what exactly inspired your line of questioning in the first place, that your question would be easier to answer. One of the things I've learned when interacting with other people (and I have totally done this before, too) is that sometimes you have to ask something really stupid (with a bunch of shitty implications) in order to better understand what you're learning about (and it's kind of important to understand why those questions are stupid / shitty / make you sound like a douchebag, too - the same applies to me, as well!).

With that said, are you like, literally genuinely curious as to why gender =/= sex? I mean, this is probably the easiest question anyone could answer for you, I'm just looking for a little bit of clarity. I will try to word this in the most eloquent way possible! Gender is a thing because sex can't really incorporate the observations associated with gender. Sex is a biological observation - you are a man/woman because you have a penis/vagina; it is concrete and easy to observe, but restricts itself to solely what's in your pants. Gender, by contrast, is not, because gender encompasses societal expectations and norms in defining what makes a "man" or "woman". As we know, men and women play different "roles" from culture to culture because of the unique expectations and norms associated with gender in those specific cultures (whether or not these expectations/norms/whatever are okay is a completely different discussion, though). I mean, this can even be seen in the way we use the words associated with each gender; "that's a very manly woman", "that guy is really effeminate" - we even attach words like these to objects, actions, designs, what have you. People living in North American society may look to another modern culture (or even a past culture) and think that the women are performing the roles of men and that the men are performing the roles of women, however, this observation would not be accurate, because as far as that culture is concerned, the roles played by each gender are what helps define what makes a man a man and a women a women in that society.

To put it bluntly, from a anthropological perspective, sex is a biological observation, gender is a societal construct, and gender also carries the unique characteristic of being incredibly fluid, unlike sex, which is, as far as I know, "fixed" (for lack of a better term). In that way, gender is psychological (not physical) because it's how you identify yourself and not how society identifies you (which is going to be through what's in your pants and not how you feel).

I could also be wrong about everything I just said, too, though.

If your question is more like "why is transgenderism a thing" well, that's kind of a worthless question. At least, I can't find value in that line of questioning. What does it matter why? What changes by knowing why? Is the kind of answer to that question really valuable?

I guess I could maybe make a personal contribution to the thread as well? My sexual orientation still confuses the fuck out of me, but I'm confident in my gender identity, at least. As far as societal norms/expectations are concerned, I don't identify as a man or a woman. As I got older I started to feel more and more estranged from my peers, guys in particular when it came to anything that wasn't video games or art. I wasn't stoic, or manly, and I had (and still have) a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve and be emotional in my response to certain stimuli. It's awkward for me to try and explain how I feel because I'm sitting here thinking "okay so how do I stereotype what makes a man a man in North American society and contrast myself with it" and I realize that I don't really understand what makes a man a man at all! All I know is that whatever society's expectations are of me because I have a penis, well, they probably aren't being met. It's easier for me to draw parallels with my behavior and society's expectations of a woman - I like to cook, I like to clean, I like to take care of the people in my life, and I kind of imagine myself as the stay-at-home-Dad if I ever end up having (adopting) children. I guess the easiest way to put it would be to say that I'm not a big, burly, manly man that likes to pretend he doesn't have any emotions and likes guns and shooting things and talking about how sexy someone is or is not and all the other stereotypical, disturbingly common stuff that makes me really, really uncomfortable with the idea of identifying myself as a "man".

I guess I don't have it as down as I thought I did. Maybe "more comfortable" is slightly more accurate?

My sexually orientation still causes me a bunch of confusion (because it's not exactly black and white), and I still have a bunch of questions and doubts stemming from inexperience and six or so years of repression for fear of reprisal of family members. While I was younger (and even now, honestly) I had never showed a meaningful desire to be with anyone, like, at all. A lot of it probably had to do with my social anxiety disorder but I honestly had no desire to be in a relationship in anyone that wasn't a friendship. This worried my Dad, though, because I wasn't following however he was expecting me to act, so, sometimes, he would give me speeches or have private conversations with me about how he hoped/that I had better not turn out to be gay. Which happened to make me feel really, really awful when I started having wet dreams that, surprise, involved men. Speaking of which, having a wet dream when you're twelve years old is like one of the scariest things in the world holy shit. My mother, by contrast, was super religious, and I remember the conversations we'd used to have - the most memorable one was the conversation we had where she tried to draw parallels between pedophiles homosexuals (because two consenting adults is totally the same as a rapist and a victim, totally the same).

My first relationship came to me in October of my senior year of high school. A cute, little, Filipino boy, whom I had spent the past few months getting to know better, approached me one day and asked if I would go out with him. I literally had no reason to say no - he was smart, handsome, not particularly charming, but was quiet and dorky (which made him adorable) and most importantly: he wanted to be with me! Like, how cool was that? I remember that the first time he spent the night we ended up making out until like four in the morning after spending the evening eating the dinner I had made for the two of us and playing some really, really bad N64 shooter. My mouth was like really sore the first hour or so into it but I didn't care; it felt really, really good and I loved the fact that I was able to feel comfortable and intimate with another human being (something I had never experienced before). He broke up with me about a year later, but a physical relationship (and a serious emotional investment) still perpetuated for about six more months after that (which, by the way, is one of the worst things I have ever, ever done, and regret a lot). After I decided to live with my family in California rather than stay with him (and with all things considered it was a decision made in my best interest - I had no job, I couldn't drive and Louisiana has no bus system, I was going to school online, I didn't exactly know how to live in the world, and, to top it off, it's not like my family was in an arm's reach if something happened to me or them) he suffered an emotional breakdown that spanned over a few weeks and completely destroyed any hope I had of salvaging a friendship out of it, which hurt. A lot. He was someone I was very close with and still love very dearly. He was someone I didn't want to leave my life, someone I wanted to stay in my life any way I could keep him, and while I forgave a lot of flaws I probably would never have forgiven in other people, I don't think I can forgive him for what transpired during that time. I'll always remember him fondly, though, because he's the person that made me realize that I really, really don't want to be alone for the rest of my life.

Haha, but I think this is the wrong topic for that! Getting a boyfriend made me want to start coming out of the closet, though. The first people I came out to were some good friends online. The first person I came out to in real life was my good friend, Alex, who I met during our Junior Year chemistry class. Having been born and raised in the bible belt of Louisiana, I didn't know what to expect out of him, honestly. It was a very interesting reaction. He was kind of flabbergasted - he couldn't quite wrap his head around it at first. To him, I was a good person, so it didn't make sense that I was gay - only bad people without a moral compass are gay. We had quite the conversation that night, though, walking around the golf course in the dark. Initially he thought that if he brought me along to church that I might abandon my atheism and homosexuality, but, after realizing that dragging me along to a room full of a bunch of people I don't know, listening to some preacher dude talk about why pagans and gays and prostitutes are terrible people, and that doing this made me feel physically sick and extremely anxious was probably not the best idea in the world, he dropped it entirely. We had more conversations, and he came to realize that your sexual orientation is not a choice and your religious alliance (among other things) are not meaningful monikers for morality. My story probably doesn't paint him in the best of lights, but honestly he's such a sweetie, and I'm so glad to have met someone like him while living in Louisiana.

Mother's reaction was much more difficult for me to deal with by comparison. I invited her into my room one night and tried to introduce the idea by saying that "I'm going to have kids, and they're going to be my kids, but they won't be my kids" (not entirely accurate, because they'll be my kids, they just won't be biologically related to me). After clarifying what I meant, I was met with a blunt "yeah I know". Which was, you know, shocking, but good! My mother knew! That saved me a lot of trouble! At least, that's what I was hoping to feel. I quickly realized that her responses were purposefully choppy and short because my mother was doing everything she could to avoid discussing this in depth with me. The conversation ended with me asking what I should do in regards to coming out to other family members, and her responding by saying that "they didn't need to know". I felt pretty awful after that. I got to revisit these feelings later when my Mother came out to the rest of my family for me during my ex's emotional breakdown in which he was chatting with my sisters over Facebook on their way down to California. Fun times.

I was pleasantly surprised at my Dad's reaction, though. It was pretty much the exact opposite of what I was expecting (considering he's probably the reason I was most afraid in the first place, but I guess six years is a long time, and people can change). He didn't care! He said he only cared that I was a good person who led a happy life. Which...actually kind of pisses me off in a way. Jesus Christ Dad you're such an asshole when it comes to literally everything else; why did you have to say the right thing the one time it actually mattered?

Nothing's really changed since everyone found out. My sisters and I get along and I enjoy using my sexual orientation to poke fun at their love lives. My parents are still constantly tiptoeing around the issue, though, which isn't fun but I suppose I'm satisfied for now. It could have been worse, actually - my batshit insane Grandmother could know!

Reading through this thread really reinforces just how lucky I know I am to have been born into the life that I have. It could have been a lot worse in a lot of different ways - my fears could have been realized and I could have been introduced to a fantastic palette of new ways to feel alienated and ostracized from the world around me, my parents could have had much, much worse reactions, I could have not ever found someone to love (even if it didn't last), or had the wonderfully supportive people that I currently have in my life, I could have been right and my sister's could have been irreparably poisoned by my Grandmother's toxic influence, maybe I could have had more courage earlier on to explore my sexual orientation and been met with a lot of resistance that would have damaged me more than six years of sexual repression, anxiety, and fear already have. I don't know! The list goes on forever, really. I'm so happy to read about those of you that have the strength to do things I never would have been able to do had I been in your position, and it breaks my heart and incites such anger in me to read about the way you have suffered throughout your struggle. I honestly wish the best for all of you. Here's to our dreams for a better tomorrow, yeah?

With all of that out of the way, I have questions for those who know more about / are more comfortable with their sexual orientation than I am! Also, holy shit this post is already almost three thousand words long goddammit I'm sorry for typing so much jesus. Okay, so, I have a few things relating to sex. I really am not comfortable with the idea of penetrating or being penetrated by anyone. I also don't really like the sensation of having my mouth wrapped around someone else's genitals (nor do I like having someone else's mouth wrapped around mine). Penises are actually pretty gross (vaginas are worse looking as far as aesthetics go, though), but I don't have a problem with touching or being touched. I don't know if it's really fair of me to say I don't like these things because I have literally only been in one relationship but I am still really, really uncomfortable with the idea of penetration and I know for a fact that blowjobs are really, really uncomfortable, giving and receiving. Am I going to be able to have a meaningful relationship with another person as far as sexual stuff goes? If I can't fulfill those needs in a meaningful way, how am I going to maintain a healthy relationship? Is this something I should be concerned over?

I have more questions but I have a bunch of other stuff to do and have already spent like 3 hours writing this post.

Last edited:

Crux

Banned deucer.
I think billy was questioning why the concept of gender existed as a normative construct that people could identify or feel dysphoric towards, given its nature as purely a societal construct, rather than making any comment on gender dysphoria...

Edit: I'm not the one asking this lol

Last edited:
I think billy was questioning why the concept of gender existed as a normative construct that people could identify or feel dysphoric towards, given its nature as purely a societal construct, rather than making any comment on gender dysphoria...
Ah, well if that's the case, I apologize for my long winded (and ultimately worthless) explanation! I wasn't quite sure what he was getting at with his question.

Problem with that is that there's really no reason to ask that question to transgender people specifically. Cis people identify with the societal construct on a whole, trans people don't, but neither group is better qualified to explain why the construct we're all reinforcing exists in the first place... and to be honest, I don't know if that question can be answered. It is what it is. Still trying to work out why my post was "silly", though... realising that I'm also choosing a gender identity for myself (even if it's the culturally reinforced "man = has a penis" one), and that I would never be happy if I was constantly being referred to as a woman/using female pronouns/"acting" like a woman was exactly how I started to understand the whole transgender thing/stopped asking why anyone would feel the need to identify as the other gender. Not everyone is as strongly connected to their socially projected gender, though, so I guess putting yourself in a trans persons' shoes won't explain much in that case.

Edit: PS: Fuck John Money.

@Cshadow: I don't know if you identify or are considering identifying as asexual, or simply feel like averse to sex at the moment, and that judgment is something only you are equipped to make, but you may find asexual networks (like AVEN) helpful. A lot of people on there are averse to asexual/sexual relationships and have stories about relationships between asexual and sexual people that end badly, but there are definitely many cases where asexual and sexual people have managed to negotiate a relationship that suits them. The reasons why they may end badly are obvious, unrelated or related; incompatible sexual needs can lead to tension, jealousy, and unequal arrangements (i.e. people attempt to negotiate solutions such as a sexually open relationship without resolving their feelings/anticipating how it will play out, or emotions come into the mix, etc. etc., people having sex they don't want, and so on). However, consider that sexual compatibility, while generally pretty important in a long-term relationship setting (eta: I want to clarify that it's an issue in all kinds of ways for all kinds of relationships, some very obvious examples include mismatched libidos, at least one feeling dissatisfied during sex, vanilla mismatch), is just one variable in a relationship and that no person is 100% perfect for another person. If you can successfully navigate your feelings together, a relationship with a sexual person that is strong in other areas, while taking a lot of hard work and openness, is definitely not out of the question.

There may be certain things you and another person can do together that you find you like, or perhaps you just plain won't want sex (in which case you shouldn't let anyone make you have it), and other solutions can be arrived at. Or maybe you'll meet a person like yourself and it probably won't be an issue -- they are out there.

I don't think you should worry about it -- your feelings might change, your feelings might not, they're perfectly valid either way and shared by others -- but if you're in the context of a relationship I think coming to a mutual understanding rather than avoiding things and letting unhappiness accumulate is eventually necessary.

Last edited:
@Cshadow
As I posted earlier, I identify as demisexual, meaning that I could potentially develop sexual desire towards someone after sufficient emotional bonding (the wording is intentionally vague, as it essentially means that I'm not certain if I'm asexual). My view on the matter is that you should always be honest in a relationship, and when I next enter one I'll immediately tell my partner how I identify and see what we can work out (it could be as simple as giving them permission to satisfy their sexual needs elsewhere if they need to, so long as they are honest about doing so).
It's also interesting to hear someone else say that their own orientation confounds them, I was pressed for the right way to describe my orientation until I learned the word Demisexual as well as what a Romantic Orientation is. While sexual acts (Blowjobs, handjobs, penetration, or anything involving a penis) don't appeal to me, I enjoy cuddling and making out with whoever my partner may be (I've only ever had one boyfriend, and we just drifted apart because it wasn't very easy for us to get together and we knew that I would have to move at some point).
I've been to a few youth programs of LGBT centers, and one program had one segment called 'Something Sexy' that was very interesting to me. The segment was focused on sex (as in intercourse) and each meeting was to discuss a topic to do with it, I only ever brought up one point but at the end of each meeting somebody (peer or staff member) would specifically mention my point as a valuable part of the conversation. The point I would make is that there's more to a relationship than sex, despite what media seems to say, and that a relationship built upon little else will likely fail, especially compared to one built off of emotional bonding.
I've said it before, but that was before this thread started having serious (and outstanding) conversation; for the sake of putting my orientation into perspective of my views, I am a Cisgender Homoromantic Demisexual Male.

I've come out to a few of my closer friends (the ones that I thought would be the most accepting), and luckily, I was correct in assuming they'd be there for me. It's only 4 or 5 people, but it's more than I ever thought I'd tell. I'm still deathly afraid to tell my parents and other friends, and I honestly don't know how to do it without them thinking that I'm just playing a joke on them. My mom has asked me on several occasions if I was gay, and I've always dodged the question. It's weird, because she acts like it would be completely fine with her, but I'm still afraid to tell her. I'm in college now, and I still don't know when or if I'm going to just come out to everyone that I know...
I usually stick to the less serious threads in a forum, but I felt like reading the posts in this one would help me a little, and it has. I wouldn't have even considered talking about myself like this until I read some of your posts. It helps to know that there are other people with similar problems. I know I'm virtually an unknown on this site, but I'd like to thank you all as if you were all old friends that did something really meaningful for me, because that's how I really feel right now.

I'm sorry that this isn't a very fleshed-out post, I was tired when I saw the thread and I'm about to pass out right after posting this. But seriously, this thread means something to me, thank you guys.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
@Cshadow
As I posted earlier, I identify as demisexual, meaning that I could potentially develop sexual desire towards someone after sufficient emotional bonding
Hi
I hope this doesn't offend you
Why do you feel the need to label your orientation (I mean specifically demisexual, not your homosexuality)? I don't want to sleep with somebody that I'm not emotionally invested in. It's not uncommon, like at all. Am I under-estimating how long it's going to take to get "sufficient emotional bonding"? If I was say, asked out by a someone tomorrow, and things progressed along at whatever pace, I wouldn't want to have sex with them for at least... I don't know actually I've never been in the situation, but like 1-3 months? maybe that's inacurate. But does that mean I'm a demi sexual? Just because I only want to have sex with people I love? I thought waiting for significant emotional attachment was like, standard sexuality

I think it means you prefer one sex physically but can grow to bond with someone of the other as well.

No, it's what VKCA is assuming, basically someone who isn't interested in casual sex/one night stands. Homoromantic is the thing that specifies it as same sex only, so you can have heteroromantic etc. Demisexuality really isn't that uncommon, insomuch that it probably doesn't need to be under the asexuality umbrella, but eh. Some people like being able to specifically identify that way, some don't. It's all about what works for you.

Just wondering if anyone has any information on therapists the specialize in transgendered people, my mother is having a bit of a problem finding one. We are probably going to have to ask our old psychologist. I have talked to someone who has already gone through this and she says that you definitely want to find one who specializes on this, as some run of the mill therapists don't really know what they are doing on the subject.

Also, I have come out to this to all my immediate family with the exception of my 6 year old sister... any ideas on that? My mother was so clueless she says we should just ask the specialized therapist, and I can't say I disagree. She is in the stage of her childhood right now where she is trying to identify people and put them into groups, which there is nothing wrong with, its a critical part of childhood and learning. Me just coming out to her really fucks up that dynamic, I am not also sure how appropriate it is for her.

Also posting this in a dress ^_^

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I forgot this thread existed.

Princess Bubblegum I'm glad to hear your mom's trying to help with this process. It sounds like your family is generally accepting, which has to be a nice relief for you.

I'm not sure about how to handle things with your sister. I would think that talking to her about what's going on in your life and how you identify yourself would be mostly a good thing. The younger people are exposed to things that fit outside of society's norms—this extends to any sort of difference in lifestyle, gender, sexuality, or anything really—the sooner they can accept that not everyone is exactly the same. Obviously it'll probably be difficult to understand at such a young age, and talking to her and explaining everything probably isn't easy either. But I'd like to think that without all the predispositions that we're all exposed to growing up, it really won't be as difficult as we'd imagine. Maybe I'm just delusional though.

Aurora I'm really sorry to hear things aren't going well with your attempts to come out and potentially seek help. Telling your family and friends that you're gay isn't easy, but I'm sure it's a hell of a lot less difficult than telling them that who you are on the outside doesn't reflect who you are as a person. I wish I had advice for you, but I honestly have no idea what I would do in that situation because I've never experienced anything like it. I hope you stay strong and make it through this. I just want you to know that no matter what life holds for you, you've always got a support net here with people who are willing to listen, even if we (or specifically I) can't really relate. Sometimes just venting can help air out a lot of the feelings you're having, and even if this doesn't make everything better, at least you don't have to bottle everything up.

im reading this thread and honestly? im praying for all of you

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Also posting this in a dress ^_^
!!!! :]

oh also I've been thinking some about my question, so more q
does that mean you (ute) don't find someone attractive at all until you develop an emotional bond, or just that you don't necessarily want to evolve that physical attraction into something more until the emotional bond is there?
because if it's the former, I can totally understand this thing, and why I am not demisexual. I was just walking to the grocery store, and saw three like fucking gorgeous girls, and thought, "oh maybe this is what makes me a ute different, even though I wouldn't be having sex immediately with any of these people if we were to start a relationship tomorrow, I still think "damn I'd like to have sex with those girls after a couple dinner dates or something" whereas he'd think "eh I guess they're alright, nothing special though" until he had gone on the several dinner dates" (at which point you would have developed the sexual attraction part)

Last edited:
I was suggested this resource through the therapist of the transgendered person I have been talking with for specialists.

http://www.wpath.org/find_a_provider.cfm

Just wanted to share that. If you are wondering how it works, don't mess wit any of the boxes outside of the dropdown state list, and then search for just the state, there shouldn't be more than 10 or so.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@sex-- yeah Cshadow-- I think your concerns about sex in a relationship and it's function are completely normal-- male female trans or either orientation; having insecurity or misgivings is totally normal. I'd say it's normal even in people with lots of romantic or sexual experiences-- but of course even moreso when people lack it. Like pluff said, compatibility sexually (and otherwise really) are always factors in a relationship-- but you shouldn't compromise on your own needs or comfort. Having the confidence to believe in yourself that you will find and deserve to have someone in your life who can meet your needs, and make you happy-- this is probably the greatest key and most important factor to finding amorous happiness.

I guess it's easy for me to say-- I don't have any of the challenges many in this thread have faced. We're not playing the same numbers game (and I'm actually out of the game now that I'm married). But I don't think number can trump this cardinal rule-- to believe in yourself, never blame yourself undeservingly, and never "settle" when it comes to love. (Though a swig of realism also never hurts any problem, lol)

I don't post here very often, if at all anymore, but I decided that I should maybe share my story.

I'm a seventeen-year-old male who identifies as gay who's now in his senior year of high school. I've never really had much trouble with my own sexual orientation, it was more or less me being ghastly afraid of the responses and the potential vitriol I'd face from others. I live in a fairly liberal school district, and I just don't know why, but there's this fear that's just looming over me as I question myself for not having come out yet. I discovered I was gay at the tail end of the eighth grade. I actually had a crush on a girl, who happened to be my best friend, but things went awry and I'm pretty sure one of my friends told her I liked her. She immediately cut off all forms of communication with me which left me devastated and questioning myself. It was a lot easier to come to the conclusion that I was gay that way, I suppose. The summer gave me time to think about myself and think about where I belonged or didn't belong. I tried coming out to my mother, telling her, "Mom? I think I'm gay." She jumps on the word "think" and tries to convince me otherwise. It's a damn shame, but I guess it was at LEAST said. Ninth grade rolls around, and with one of my sister still in the school, I'm absolutely terrified to come out to anyone. After lunch, a friend and I were walking to our biology class. I ran into my sister and introduced my friend, and she says, "Your brother is my gay best friend!" Holy. Fuck. I hadn't even told her that I was gay and yet she immediately runs off and assumes that. "Is it really that obvious?" was the question that I kept coming back to. To my surprise, my sister didn't question it further. By the time tenth grade comes, I finally come out to one of my friends. A guy had been running through my mind for a few months, and honestly, I was conflicted about the whole situation. It was after a haircut that I came out to her, but panicked. I needed to make sure that her lips were sealed and that she wouldn't tell anyone else. (Ironically, she's also dating the guy that I had a crush on. I just have really bad gaydar.) But I FINALLY told someone and it was off my chest. Soon, my whole friend group was worked into the idea that I'm gay. I later told my friend, Kat, over frozen yoghurt, and then I told a few other girls in a bundle. The people I cared about knew who I was and didn't judge me for it, and I'm forever thankful for that. By the time I was a junior in high school, my sister had moved on to college and I was allowed to be more of who I was. Before, I acted differently and dressed differently in fear that my sister's would somehow discover my sexuality through the stereotypical ways. I dressed more "fashionably" and I finally felt comfortable in my own skin. The first and second friends I told actually ended up dating that school year as well. (For the record, the first one identifies as queer and the second one identifies as bicurious.)

My main problem is: why am I so gosh-darn afraid of coming out even when I've been well-received so far? Even my mother hints at me being gay because whenever she brings up the term 'girlfriend,' she also brings up 'boyfriend' as well. I'm really actually proud of her; coming from a small town in Vietnam where family is everything and parents control your mind, she's truly grown into a loving, accepting parent. I still hadn't come out to her at the time I'm posting this, but I'm sure she understands.

I just hadn't had any problems that most of you are facing and I'm honestly wondering why the idea of coming out is so dreadful to me. If you bothered reading this poorly-written, sleep-deprived story, thank you. c:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My main problem is: why am I so gosh-darn afraid of coming out even when I've been well-received so far?
You've said it yourself: you're afraid of coming out because of what high-school assholes will say. If you got a positive/neutral reaction from your friend base, that's a sign that you picked the correct friends. The best way I've seen friends deal with coming out is with humor. People might insult you for it, some people might even get violent. Laugh at the insults, because insults don't matter and usually bullies stop caring after a while if they know it doesn't get to you. If kids get violent, kick the shit out of the first one who tries. Fighting violence with more violence sucks but with the way school systems are set up, you can fight back in self defense and then report it as a hate crime, which is infinitely better than just taking a beating. I don't actually expect you to have any problems though, since the biggest key is having confidence in yourself. Bullies don't prey on confidence, they prey on self-doubt. If you don't have any self-doubt, they'll pretty quickly realize it and leave you alone.

tl;dr fuck haters; acquire dick

You've said it yourself: you're afraid of coming out because of what high-school assholes will say. If you got a positive/neutral reaction from your friend base, that's a sign that you picked the correct friends. The best way I've seen friends deal with coming out is with humor. People might insult you for it, some people might even get violent. Laugh at the insults, because insults don't matter and usually bullies stop caring after a while if they know it doesn't get to you. If kids get violent, kick the shit out of the first one who tries. Fighting violence with more violence sucks but with the way school systems are set up, you can fight back in self defense and then report it as a hate crime, which is infinitely better than just taking a beating. I don't actually expect you to have any problems though, since the biggest key is having confidence in yourself. Bullies don't prey on confidence, they prey on self-doubt. If you don't have any self-doubt, they'll pretty quickly realize it and leave you alone.

tl;dr fuck haters; acquire dick
Hm,good advice imo :o
I haven't told too many people that I am bi,which you guys know now..lol
Mainly because I don't want it getting in the wrong hands :(

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
There's also the fact that telling people you're gay is an awful activity and awkward and scary and nerve-wracking no matter how many times you do it. It's literally the worst thing about being gay imo and I still dread doing it; the fact that you have to tell people you are (unless it's really obvious but still) is so self-penetrating and exposes something most other people take for granted. Other minorities and people don't really have this problem, and it's why most gay support groups have a strong focus on helping people come out.

Coming out is hard and sucks each time you do it, and I know that even one of my friends from high school who is now graduating with a liberal arts degree in LGBT studies still gets a bit nervous when he tells new people that he is gay.

I totally feel where you're coming from Oh My Biscuits

Though I suppose it doesn't help my case that most people assume I'm straight until I tell them otherwise and so it's always a big "shock"

tl;dr coming out sucks and it'll forever suck :/

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
if there was a pill that made you straight would you take it?

I can't exactly speak for sexuality, but if there was a pill to make me no longer transgendered, I would have to turn it down. Simply put taking that pill would fundamentally change who I am, and I know for a fact that I do not want to be a man. So a pill making me think to the contrary is something I would not only decline, but find kind of bothered that it exists. It comes close to straight up brainwashing.

This actually make me wonder about what my sexuality is. As mentioned earlier I do not find men attractive. So does that make me a lesbian ... idk. Sexuality isn't a big priority for me atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)