Other OU Teambuilding Competition Round 5 [Entries OPEN See Post #294]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Spd / 244 Def
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Recover
- Seismic Toss

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

My team is meant to use Dragonite and friends to set up for a Manaphy sweep:

Manaphy: A standard Tail Glow attacking set. Manaphy is meant to sweep late-game, when Pokemon who can stop the sweep are gone or weakened. 0 Atk Ivs are for Foul Play (for all those that have those IVs), and 29 HP IVs are to trade 2 HP for slightly less Life Orb Recoil.

Dragonite: A standard Choice Band attacking set. Dragonite is meant to use its incredible attack to remove bulky Pokemon like Chansey who can easily stop Manaphy. It can also sweep late-game, if required to.

Galvantula: My lead. The only reason to use Galvantula is Sticky Web, but that is enough of a reason. Sticky Web lets Manaphy "out-speed" much more than it otherwise would, and Dragonite appreciates the Sticky Web support as well. While Volt Switch gives up a valuble coverage move, I prefer using it to manually switching Galvantuala out of battle.

Excadrill: With Multiscale, Dragonite loves hazards being off the field. Since I can't use Defog and Sticky Web, I chose Excadrill as the best Rapid Spinner currently in OU. It can hit reasonably hard, as well.

Deoxys-Defense: This fomer Uber fills many roles on my team. The alien is a SR setter, Taunter who is faster than Common Defoggers such as Skarmory and Mandibuzz, and physical wall. Not much to say other than that there was a reason he used to be Uber.

Chansey: My special wall and cleric. Dragonite hates being burned and likes his Multiscale, and Chansey is capable of providing Heal Bell and Wish support. She can also take just about any special attack. She synergies well with Deoxys, being immune to its Ghost weakness while having her Fighting weakness covered for.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92839278 shows what happens when I can control entry hazards, and how I do so.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92859007 shows the kind of battle I'm going for with this team. When Ferrothorn was removed, Manaphy could destroy.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

Manaphy @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Spd / 244 Def
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Recover
- Seismic Toss

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

My team is meant to use Dragonite and friends to set up for a Manaphy sweep:

Manaphy: A standard Tail Glow attacking set. Manaphy is meant to sweep late-game, when Pokemon who can stop the sweep are gone or weakened. 0 Atk Ivs are for Foul Play (for all those that have those IVs), and 29 HP IVs are to trade 2 HP for slightly less Life Orb Recoil.

Dragonite: A standard Choice Band attacking set. Dragonite is meant to use its incredible attack to remove bulky Pokemon like Chansey who can easily stop Manaphy. It can also sweep late-game, if required to.

Galvantula: My lead. The only reason to use Galvantula is Sticky Web, but that is enough of a reason. Sticky Web lets Manaphy "out-speed" much more than it otherwise would, and Dragonite appreciates the Sticky Web support as well. While Volt Switch gives up a valuble coverage move, I prefer using it to manually switching Galvantuala out of battle.

Excadrill: With Multiscale, Dragonite loves hazards being off the field. Since I can't use Defog and Sticky Web, I chose Excadrill as the best Rapid Spinner currently in OU. It can hit reasonably hard, as well.

Deoxys-Defense: This fomer Uber fills many roles on my team. The alien is a SR setter, Taunter who is faster than Common Defoggers such as Skarmory and Mandibuzz, and physical wall. Not much to say other than that there was a reason he used to be Uber.

Chansey: My special wall and cleric. Dragonite hates being burned and likes his Multiscale, and Chansey is capable of providing Heal Bell and Wish support. She can also take just about any special attack. She synergies well with Deoxys, being immune to its Ghost weakness while having her Fighting weakness covered for.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92839278 shows what happens when I can control entry hazards, and how I do so.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92859007 shows the kind of battle I'm going for with this team. When Ferrothorn was removed, Manaphy could destroy.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
I would replace Chansey with Blissey or another special wall. Chansey really just isn't good right now with all the knock off spam.

It's better than Blissey with the eviolite, but because that eviolite gets knocked off so often, I just don't feel like it's worth it. I'd recommend mega-Venusaur, since you don't have a mega yet and it has great synergy with the rest of your team.
Honestly, Blissey doesn't like to take anything from any mon with knock off anyways, and if you play Chansey correctly, its eviolite shouldn't be getting knocked off. Chansey has much better bulk than Blissey and can take hits on the physical side a lot better.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
It's better than Blissey with the eviolite, but because that eviolite gets knocked off so often, I just don't feel like it's worth it. I'd recommend mega-Venusaur, since you don't have a mega yet and it has great synergy with the rest of your team.
Except Mega Venusaur isn't a cleric. I want a cleric to heal Dragonite and others.

HEAVY RAIN OFFENSE

Here is an offensive rain team that I've found to be quite effective. This team has a volt-turn core of Thundurus-Therian, Scizor-Mega, and Manaphy. Mixing Politoed with the volt-turn core allows easy rain, so a majority of the game rain will be up. Manaphy and Ludicolo can also set up rain. Giving Manaphy a damp rock + rain dance + U-turn allows for the most effectient use of rain turns possible. Manaphy's ability makes it the team's status absorber. Ludicolo is really underratetd, it can sweep unsuspecting teams with rain up. Dragonite is mixed and has extremespeed, earthquake, hurricane, and thunder giving it very good coverage. If Dragonite's weakness policy activates, it is almost safe to say "GG". Pivot Mega-Scizor defogs so Dragonite's Multiscale stays intact, plus Thundurus-T appreciates the absence of rocks as well. Scizor's evs are optimized so that it can outspeed any Mega-Mawile so it isn't sucker punch bait. Scizor's speed also allows it to outspeed Mandibuzz, avoiding the taunt to safely get a defog off.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
Manaphy @ Damp Rock
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Rest
- Scald
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 124 Atk / 252 HP / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Plot Twist:

Explanation:

Once Gary and I decided on the core, I had a pretty good idea of how to approach this core. When I built the team I knew that I wanted to utilize Dragonite and Manaphy wallbreaking capabilities to set up a sweep for another Pokemon. This is where Zard X came in. With the core of Zard X / Dragonite / Manaphy I knew I had most of my bases covered offensively because not many teams, if any can handle that much firepower.

I chose to use a Mixed Dragonite, because I knew I would be able to catch my opponents off-guard expect me to to be Dragon Dance. This allows me to lure in most of its normal checks in and take them out for Zard X.

Manaphy's set is very straight forward and nothing surprising bar Psychic over Energy Ball for Mega Venusaur.

Excadrill was added as a great offensive spinner that had great synergy with the rest of the team and helped apply more pressure on teams, while also keeping me from getting swept by the likes of Clefable.

Due to Excadrill not being the most bulky steel type around, Aegislash was added as well. I went with a Pursuit set to switch in and trap Lati@s to ease Manaphy's wallbreaking or sweeps.

Lastly, Deoxys-Speed fit here as a both a revenge killer for Dragon Dance users like Gyarados, Dragonite or Zard X. This was originally a Dual Screens set, but I didn't really need the screens since only two members of this are setup sweepers. Screens is still a cool option if I change Dragonite's set to a Dragon Dance set but until that happens the offensive SR set is better.

Kevin Durant (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

ban dancin (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Mole (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Kendrick Perkins (Aegislash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 240 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

ban tail glow (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow

Rhaegal (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I might add replays later.
Tested and already adopted.
I'm always impressed to see how heavy offense deals with the opponent's team by putting it under pressure and don't let it any time.
After several fight i got trouble to manage threats like aegislash which can easly come in deoxys and make consequent damage to teamates. I also have trouble to keep alive deoxys as it's very frail, so we have to predict very well to preserve it especially when you see a potential scarf/dancer/fast threat ... In the row bisharp is difficult to manage as you always have to predict sucker punch or knock off, and even sometimes pursuit, it could become problematic as it is able to come in both deoxys and aegislash. A offensive core like pinsir+talonflame is realy annoying for the team, no real check, strong priority moves whiwh threaten deoxys, well this core is obviously the hardest to manage but, thanks to a good pressure and by some luring move it's not impossible to manage them. Finaly, i was a bit disapointed when i saw a deoxys superpower may miss the OHKO on mega tyranitar and excadrill, maybe it would be usefull to give up a little SAtk for Atk in order to allow the OHKO every time, or u have to know that and make residual damage enought before using deoxys ( as it's something around 5-10% ). Last, terrakion scarfed / rock (polish even if it's quite rare) is a huge threat and should be manage with precaution as it is able to outspeed deoxys, Zard after 1 dance and deal sever damage to all the teamates, if the opponent succeed to trap/lure ( well kill ) aegislash; it's might be over with terrakion.
Well after all those crits ( i hope constructive) i will say the team is a nightmare for stall and balanced team. Chansey, skarm and Cie are always lured and sruggle, every momentum leave can be devastating for the opponent team. As a conclusion: Well Done !

That is my team for that week:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 HP / 164 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off

The aim of my team is to spupport and promotes the threataning setting up ability of both pokemon of the core :
  • Manaphy hits on the special side, after a tail grow, few pokemon are able to deal with it. It can sxitch into pokemon such skarmory, heatran which will have no other choice than switching or phazing it out ( taking the risk to take huge damage btw ). It also able to severly weaken rotom-W. Energy ball is prefered over psychic for the coverage because latios can use its own stab to hit threat like Venusaur or Conkeldurr
  • Dragonite is a monstreous late game cleaner, by the support of klefki and multiscale, the weakness policy may be activated even by kyurem-b ice beam !!! After a dance only few scarfed, priority attackers or deoxys are able to deal with it. Skarmory wall it and need to be weaken before.
  • Klefki, as already mentionned, will support the core and obviously the whole team by putting walls during 8 turns, paralysing fast threat, killing threats, which set up with impunity on it, by using foulplay. Its type give a good coverage with dragonite and manapy, only the electric weakness is not cover.
  • Latios is a key of that team as it's the only one able to manage landorus-i or keldeo for example. It will also use defog to let the field clean for dragonite thanks to defog. Moreover it's ability to hit both special and physical ( psyschok ) allow to struggle a bit stall team or defensive core.
  • Bisharp comes here in the aim to take some special hit and trap ghost/psychic type as aegislash which can take profit of latios. It is able to revenge kill with sucker punch and weaken some stallers to leave the way open for manaphy/dragonite
  • Hippowdon is here to stop most of physical threats, rock slide has been chosen to manage Pinsir/Talonflame/volcarona which could be a problem for the team otherway.

Here are all the difficulties i met and i'm trying to solve, if you see how to deal with them or find new team's weakness, please tell me.

• The first difficulty i have, it's against stall team, especially those using Chansey/Skarmory core. I have no volturn to weaken them, and no pokemons able to deals with both. Manaphy is walled by chansey, even at +6 !!! In the other hand skarmory wall dragonite and is able to phaze it away. I'm currently trying to use fire punch in dragonite for seeing how this could work. But the thing is stall teams are quite rare nowaydays.
  • Azumarill is a threat i can have trouble to manage when it come in bisharp/hippowndon/latios. Indeed, i have no safe switch and i can have trouble to revenge kill it even if dnite/manaphy are not particulary azumarill weak.
U-Ralph you might wanna consider switching sand stream for sand whatever his other ability is on hippo because sand breaks d-nites multiscale so you can't switch d-nite in. I had this issue when I tried to run t-tar on my team, but hippo doesn't need the sand defensively so it can be dropped for his other ability. Or you could switch weakness policy for lefties to heal back up after the sandstorm.

Does anyone have any feedback on my team? This my third team I've posted here with no feedback I would love some feedback as my team is having a little trouble with burns.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Suck it Thundy :]

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow

Dragonite @ Choice Band
EVs: 208 Spd / 252 Atk / 48 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 Def / 252 HP / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SDef / 152 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This team is focused on a Manaphy sweep, with Scizor possibly being able to clean up late-game depending on team matchup, with particular focus on dealing with Thundurus and Garchomp, which I saw as being two of the biggest threats to the core. Thundurus can outspeed and OHKO Manaphy and Dragonite with LO Thunderbolt and HP Ice, respectively, and cannot 100% be KOed by Banded Extremespeed even after Stealth Rock. Without Lefties, Manaphy can easily be worn down, making it easy for Garchomp to come in and Outrage/EQ for a KO, and ti can obviously take out Dragonite. With this in mind, I set out to build my team. Manaphy is the ultimate lure for the team, being able to take out Mega Venusaur AND Thundurus, two major threats to the team in general (Mega Venusaur can be taken out by many of my Pokemon, but it usually finds itself on stall, which can simply switch to Skarmory to avoid taking damage). Banded Dragonite seemed like a better choice for the team than DD because breaking walls was more important than having an extra sweeper. The next two slots were dedicated to taking down fast, powerful physical attackers such as Garchomp and Mega Pinsir, which otherwise can be very troublesome. These two form a cool double Intimidate VoltTurn core, which also makes it easier for me to get setup opportunities for Manaphy and Scizor. Mega Manectric also makes for a fantastic revenge killer, outspeeding most of the tier and revenge killing things such as Greninja, Charuzard-Y, and (Mega-)Gyarados. Latias was added because the team didn't really have a good switch-in for Charizard-Y, Keldeo, Thundurus, or Rotom-W, and Latias can do all of those things while also providing the team with Defog support. Also, because Manaphy has no Leftovers recovery and simultaneously wants to lure threats early-game and sweep late-game, I chose Healing Wish > Roost so that Manaphy or even Scizor could have a second chance at cleaning up the opponent's team. At this point, the team was mostly weak to Pokemon like Latios and Latias, which can come in on Manaphy or Dragonite on the revenge kill and then something dies. At first I had Banded Scizor, but I didn't like not having another win condition, and Band got worn now too easily. Instead, I went with a bulky SD set, which can Roost off damage from repeated Draco meteors, making it an all around better check to the Lati twins.

Last edited:
Alright everyone, deadline is today, and the nominations are now closed! You may now vote for whichever team you feel is the best. DO NOT vote for yourself! Another great round with some really good teams. May the best team win! You have 3 days to vote, the deadline is Monday, March 3rd.

If you click on the participant's username, it will link you to their entry post. Make sure to read through each entry before voting.

Users: Hot N Cold and U-Ralph will have their voted doubled.

Entries:

1. The Shellder Smuggler
2. Ziaf999
3. Megoodraggon
4. Lcs865
5. LoDart210
6. Chesnaught
7. acestriker19
8. U-Ralph
9. Fourth Inversion
10. Dr Ciel
11. Ajwf
12. Subject 18
13. Rob.
14. Mowtom
15. Vegan Zombie
16. Halcyon.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
My vote goes to LoDart210. I know from experience than the Mega Mawile + Manaphy core is amazing, and that Mandibuzz + Kyurem-B work very well together. I'd also surmise Dragonite and Ferrothorn work amazingly together, as they resist each others resistances and let each other do their job. Pairing 3 very effective couples makes his team very effective, and in my opinion, the best.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Halcyon. had a very well made team, with a solid intimidate core, and a nice lure with the Wacan Berry

Well, this is disappointing, I actually used Manaphy + Dragonite on the team I am laddering with currently, but didn't read the thread until now. I could post what I was using for comparison, but I don't really see the point now that the deadline has passed. Anyway, Subject 18 has the right idea with wall punching using Dragonite, getting rid of things like Heatran/Landorus-T with Manaphy in preparation for a Charizard X sweep - I don't like the idea of using the Deo-S set with Stealth Rocks at all though.

I went and read through all the teams, and I'm just going to be honest, none of them stuck out to me as the clear winner, until I got to Halycon.'s team. It is very well structured and is just overall a great team and thoroughly thought out. So, my vote goes to Halycon.~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)