Ability Shift

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't get the hype around Adaptability Darm. It gains a whopping 2% power increase on Flare Blitz compared to Sheer Force, and it loses 30% power on Rock Slide, and the negation of Life Orb recoil on those moves. It seems objectively worse here than it is in standard.
This. I think people keep understating just how good Sheer Force is. Unfortunately, nothing good gets it here besides Scraggy.

afaik flower gift/stance change and co. are hardcoded to only work on the appropriate pokemon, so these abilities on any other pokemon that isn't their designated user... basically they are useless.

are there any other ubers worth unbanning other than kyogre and yveltal? it doesnt help that most of them have pressure, which becomes protean...

Sand Stream/Sand Rush/Moody Excadrill. It can keep its Sand Rush niche, or run Sand Stream and set up its own sandstorm. Or it can annoy people by stalling with Moody. Its a shame it can't do all three at once.

Furfrou gets Gale Wings, but no Flying-type moves to use it with.

If you do not like Protean, you could give Aerodactyl Victory Star. This way, it gets a 99% accurate Rock Slide/88% accurate Stone Edge/etc.

Delibird gets Volt Absorb, so that's -1 weakness.

Poison Heal Klingklang, except it can't be poisoned.

If you have Sandstorm up, Mega-Tyranitar gets +25% Evasion from its only ability, Sand Veil.

Gardevoir can Skill Swap Truant to the foe, and then, if you don't like your new ability, mega-evolve or switch out. If only it had good bulk. This set might work:

Gardevoir @ Focus Sash
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid/Modest Nature
- Skill Swap
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast/Hidden Power [fighting]
What you do is skill swap Truant to the foe. Once you have, you can switch out and try doing that again.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Scraggy, the LC mon, is good enough with sheer force to take on whatever's really good in this meta? I know what I'm running on my teams...
Welp, seems like I haven't used Scrafty in such a long time that I completely forgot his name. But even so, calling Sheer Force Scafty "good" is a bit of a stretch, since it can't abuse its main STAB, although Ice Punch, Crunch, and Poison Jab all get boosted by it. Still, I wish something better got it.

Slowbro seems to be the second-best user of Parental Bond, having Scald with 1.5 times the power and a 51% chance to burn. And most of the Pokemon who get that ability can use Bulldoze, which decreases Speed by 2.

Poison Heal Klingklang, except it can't be poisoned.
I wonder what would happen in the opponent used Soak on Klingklang and then used Toxic (Something like Alomamola can do both). What would happen if the Kilnklang switched out and switched in again? Would the Poisoning wear off? Probably not, because once I burned my opponent's Ditto and when it came back and Imposter-ed my Talonflame, the burn stayed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pure Power Kecleon. Greninja gets all the hype w
I wonder what would happen in the opponent used Soak on Klingklang and then used Toxic (Something like Alomamola can do both). What would happen if the Kilnklang switched out and switched in again? Would the Poisoning wear off? Probably not, because once I burned my opponent's Ditto and when it came back and Imposter-ed my Talonflame, the burn stayed.
It's a good question but I don't think that your opponent would want to give you recovery. I'm guessing that since soak wears off but status doesn't so it would be a cool poison heal steel. Can we have this OM in doubles format also to allow this strategy?
Also I noticed that no one is mentioning PurePower Kecleon. Greninja is getting all the hype with just reasoning, but his chameleon friend has great merits too. It gets 3 forms of priority to mitigate the speed issue and abuse the power, along with great coverage and decent bulk + drain punch. It's base attack is higher than medicham's to put its strength with PurePower into perspective. Although it is a bit weaker and slower than greninja, it's movepool and bulk advantage will give it a solid niche in this metagame.

At least in Gen 5, steel-types are immune to being poisoned, but will not be cured of any already inflicted poisoning. Poison-types get cured of any poison, though.

All Pokemon with Drizzle now have Drought. GG.

edit: Speed Boost becomes Stall. The irony. (double edit: ninja'd by page two.)

edit: Fur Coat Duscolops

Last edited:
Poison won't be gone until you heal bell or refresh even if you switch out. Trust me.

With all the serene grace trappers out there, I get the feeling that shed shell may actually be a legitimate item in this meta.

Speaking of serene grace:

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Stored Power/dazzling gleam
- Trick
- Work Up/nasty plot
- Tailwind/baton pass/substitute

Basically come send in a dragon on kyurem-b or something like that and either you get control and kill the dragon or they kill you and you pretty much get a free three kills with togekiss. Trick the (hopefully non-choiced) pokemon a scarf, and start setting up. At this point you can either baton pass the boosts to something else or set up tailwind and hopefully sweep. Work up gives you more power with stored power, but nasty plot should be used if you are running moonblast.

(a shame it doesn't get agility)

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of serene grace:

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Stored Power/moonblast
- Trick
- Work Up/nasty plot
- Tailwind/baton pass/substitute

Basically come send in a dragon on kyurem-b or something like that and either you get control and kill the dragon or they kill you and you pretty much get a free three kills with togekiss. Trick the (hopefully non-choiced) pokemon a scarf, and start setting up. At this point you can either baton pass the boosts to something else or set up tailwind and hopefully sweep. Work up gives you more power with stored power, but nasty plot should be used if you are running moonblast.

(a shame it doesn't get agility)
Togekiss doesn't get Moonblast. Also, I'm pretty sure Nasty Plot and Work Up boost Stored Power the same amount, +40 BP each time. Nasty Plot is pretty much always better.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Ban Shadow Tag imho. The only users of it normally are the wobbu-line and Mega-Gengar (And where did this go?). Now every former Serene-Gracer now has no counters, by definition, and this becomes all the more deadly with their actually existant moveppols. At the very least ban Meloetta, it gets Perish Song after all, and unlike Gengar it has the bulk to run it decently with an actual item >_>

Everyone always forgets about Gothitelle...

...yeah, Shadow Tag does seem pretty crazy. You can counter it with one item, though: Shed Shell. It's just another interesting threat to worry about.

Everyone always forgets about Gothitelle...

...yeah, Shadow Tag does seem pretty crazy. You can counter it with one item, though: Shed Shell. It's just another interesting threat to worry about.
This. If a pokemon is broken, I'll ban it, but I'm not going to ban the whole ability.

canno

formerly The Reptile
This. If a pokemon is broken, I'll ban it, but I'm not going to ban the whole ability.
I think Meloetta is a good first contender, since it gets the PerishTrap combo.

Also Yveltal could be pretty cool. While it's offensive sets are meh, it can run a decent defensive set. Something like

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost / Oblivion Wing
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Foul Play / Oblivious Wind / Dark Pulse

The set is pretty simple, standard SubToxic stuff. Roost gives it recover, and Foul Play means it doesn't have to deal with Defeatist at all. Oblivion Wing is good over Roost or Foul Play, and Dark Pulse can be used in the last slot as well. 0 Atk IVs are there to minimize confusion damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)