SM OU Broken baton pass team! xd

Hayburner

WHAT A POGGER CURRY!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Introduction

This is a super hot team that I made to around 71 on the ladder with. Not great but solid. Anyway the team works super well considering I just built it for fun and baton pass is broken.

Teambuilding Process

I chose volbeat because of tail glow passing, which is the focus of the team. Also, for meme points. Volbeat is surprisingly bulky, able to take most neutral special hits and some super effective with a tail light screen.

Ash greninja was the original core with volbeat as a +3 water shuriken is near impossible for any fast mon to switch into, and anything fatter gets killed by +3 dark pulse or surf.

Zapdos was next because of its natural bulk helping to easily set up an agility and with amazing coverage, sweep fairly easily. I chose zaps over thundurus or thundurus t for its bulk and the damage difference at +3 is negligible.

Hoopa unbound was chosen next to help with stall, (z psyshock kills clef) and also to provide another set up mon. It has very good special bulk if you can get up a light screen which eases set up.

Clefable originally wasn't on this team. I added it later over mega pidgeot and it proves to be the best recipient on the team usually. It has great bulk and typing to easily set up, and can also eat stall with just 1 tail glow and cosmic power boost.

Landorus t was another late addition, after I had hit my highest point in fact. However, it is needed because of its ability to set up on physical attackers which this team struggles to do.

The Team

Volbeat @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Light Screen
- Encore
Volbeat is the focus of the team, passing tail glows to any member with encore and light screen to help set up. I invested fully in spdef to help set up vs mons like koko, ash greninja and more. Mental herb is the item of choice because volbeat is fully shut down by taunt.

Greninja-Ash @ Wave Incense
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
Ash greninja was chosen for its ability to spam +3 water shuriken. I prefer splash plate for the lack or recoil but life orb is a fine option as well, as is hydro over surf if you don't fear missing. Usually, surf is enough at +3 spatk except against av magearna. I chose ice beam to hit tang as taunt or spikes don't particularly help.

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Zapdos provides a ground immunity to ease set up, as well as potent natural bulk. Electric, fire, ice coverage is near perfect so if you can pass a tail glow and get an agility, the game is usually over. I chose modest for the added power as there are no relevant speed tiers between modest and timid at +2.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
The second z move user on the team, but usually if you pass to one, the game is over and you won't need the other. Hoopa u has solid special bulk, especially with a light screen. Usually hoopa u is not one of the main recipients so if theres anything to change its probably this slot. I chose z trick over z snatch to be able to hit unaware clefable which is a nuisance to the team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
I swear the only way to beat this mon is crits. If you get a pass onto this where it has a favourable matchup, its probably over. If you get 1 free comic power off it can tank most to any hit. I chose to go with full physical bulk because of h=the possible light screen set up by volbeat. Cosmic power was chosen over calm mind because of tail glow being passed and to add physdef boosts as well.

Landorus-Therian @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I chose Lando-t because of its intimidate and natural bulk. The team needed a way to set up on physical attackers so lando was the obvious choice. I went with expert belt because the recoil from life orb hindered it too much. While special lando is an odd choice its special attack is not awful and can surprise and lure mons like tangrowth.

Conclusion

Well to conclude this team is HOT fire but also a complete gimmick lol. Previously, when I was at highest, the Lando was a speed boost yanmega but I decided to not have another rocks weak mon and it was extremely difficult to pass to yanmega anyways. So, enjoy memeing if you choose house it and its honestly not even that awful its decently consistent.
Some replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572369841 vs stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572225224 clef being broken
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-570481609 a good reason as to why I took life orb off ash gren
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572760578 vs druddigon bp person
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572801023 another replay beating somebody on pace for reqs idk who

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-573717599 got a replay with lando sweeping

Volbeat @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Light Screen
- Encore

Greninja-Ash @ Splash Plate
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

UPDATE: Recently to counteract some of the problems with the team, Ive added this over hoopa u:
Keldeo @ Normalium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hyper Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
works to beat pex to prevent haze spam, and adds a nice wallbreaker. Leads also work well but zard y and pinsir are still issues with them (keldeo doesn't beat either of them either but it helps the stall matchup)
Still looking for other options but keldeo is solid, trick room magearna was also solid was definitely a fan of that.

Last edited:
first off, this team is fire. haven't seen BP been used with tail glow; i've tried building mewpass but it's too inconsistent for my liking.

honestly there's not a lot of improvements you can make (imo) without sacrificing matchups and defensive synergy, which i've come to realize is extremely important on BP. however...

Stealth Rock and Spikes, or just rocks, would be very beneficial to this team, as gren and hoopa-u really appreciate a little chip to get ohkos. haven't calc'd for lando and zap but i'd be willing to bet that they'd like the chip too. dunno where you would fit this in since you already have support in volbeat and the others cant really afford to run rocks over a coverage option. maybe lando but eh. also hazards help vs shed stall since shed walls clef, which is your best wincon against stall teams. popping skarm's sturdy so it can't whirlwind, and duggy's sash so it can't eat a hit and ko with reversal, is fun.

a threatlist at the end of the post would be very helpful. to start, mega pinsir is a huge threat since it ohko's zapdos with +2 return after rocks. even gren has a 25% chance to get ohko'd by +2 quick attack. must be encore'd into SD or ko'd before it sets up; otherwise the game just ends. anything that can ohko volbeat turn 1 should be switched out of if you lead with volbeat, obviously. opposing set-up, like zard-x, mega pinsir (again), and the like can sweep if gren can't rk with shuriken and/or volbeat can't encore. play carefully around those, and set up before they can.

that's all i have, but here's some mons that could be fun to play around with TG pass. enjoy the spice.

Lucario @ sample item
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Vacuum Wave/Dark Pulse/etc

Porygon-Z @ sample item
Ability: Adaptability
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Tri Attack
-Shadow Ball/HP Fighting/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/HP Fire

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt (with TG + the z conversion boost this 2hkos chansey)
-Ice Beam
-HP Ground/Recover/etc
-Conversion

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Scald
-Ice Beam (ohko's AV tang at +3)
-Focus Blast

Mew @ Mewnium Z/ sample item
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Dazzling Gleam/Aura Sphere
-Flamethrower

pink set hits most mons harder and the psychic terrain makes mew less vulnerable to sucker punch. z move nukes unaware mons. blue set doesn't need z move so it can do e-belt, wise glasses, LO, colbur berry, etc. also it 2hkos chansey with +2 psyshock.

Magearna @ sample item
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-coverage
-"
-"

tl;dr any special attacker that can make use of agility/rock polish/etc that's also strong and has decent bulk and/or defensive typing

once again, nice team. i'm sure it'll be spammed across the ladder very soon. bp is aids ban gren and duggy

Last edited:

Hayburner

WHAT A POGGER CURRY!
first off, this team is fire. haven't seen BP been used with tail glow; i've tried building mewpass but it's too inconsistent for my liking.

honestly there's not a lot of improvements you can make (imo) without sacrificing matchups and defensive synergy, which i've come to realize is extremely important on BP. however...

Stealth Rock and Spikes, or just rocks, would be very beneficial to this team, as gren and hoopa-u really appreciate a little chip to get ohkos. haven't calc'd for lando and zap but i'd be willing to bet that they'd like the chip too. dunno where you would fit this in since you already have support in volbeat and the others cant really afford to run rocks over a coverage option. maybe lando but eh. also hazards help vs shed stall since shed walls clef, which is your best wincon against stall teams. popping skarm's sturdy so it can't whirlwind, and duggy's sash so it can't eat a hit and ko with reversal, is fun.

a threatlist at the end of the post would be very helpful. to start, mega pinsir is a huge threat since it ohko's zapdos with +2 return after rocks. even gren has a 25% chance to get ohko'd by +2 quick attack. must be encore'd into SD or ko'd before it sets up; otherwise the game just ends. anything that can ohko volbeat turn 1 should be switched out of if you lead with volbeat, obviously. opposing set-up, like zard-x, mega pinsir (again), and the like can sweep if gren can't rk with shuriken and/or volbeat can't encore. play carefully around those, and set up before they can.

that's all i have, but here's some mons that could be fun to play around with TG pass. enjoy the spice.

Lucario @ sample item
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Vacuum Wave/Dark Pulse/etc

Porygon-Z @ sample item
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Tri Attack

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt (with TG + the z conversion boost this 2hkos chansey)
-Ice Beam
-HP Ground/Recover/etc
-Conversion

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest/Timid Nature
-Agility
-Scald
-Ice Beam (ohko's AV tang at +3)
-Focus Blast

Mew @ Mewnium Z/ sample item
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Dazzling Gleam/Aura Sphere
-Flamethrower

pink set hits most mons harder and the psychic terrain makes mew less vulnerable to sucker punch. z move nukes unaware mons. blue set doesn't need z move so it can do e-belt, wise glasses, LO, colbur berry, etc. also it 2hkos chansey with +2 psyshock.

Magearna @ sample item
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-coverage
-"
-"

tl;dr any special attacker that can make use of agility/rock polish/etc that's also strong and has decent bulk and/or defensive typing

once again, nice team. i'm sure it'll be spammed across the ladder very soon. bp is aids ban gren and duggy
Hey thanks for the rate and yea if I see something that can ohko volbeat turn 1 it's better not to lead with it. I'll be sure to try magearna and probably the PZ and Luc as well thanks for the suggestions. And I've also been considering replacing the hoopa u with a suicide lead but haven't tested it so we'll see how that goes.

Yo Hayburner, cool stuff youve got there. I like your team alot but I have some suggestions:

1) Clef has Magic Guard so you might as well use 252 HP over 248. No need for odd HPstats.
2) I dont really think Unaware Clef is a hindrance. You have Stored Power, Sludge Wave, Wave Incense boosted Surfs and Encore Volbeat. You do not really need Hoopa-U for stall. You should replace Hoopa-U by a mon that discourages antileads.
I use Scolipass alot and so many try to lead with their Hoopa-U and love to spam Hyperspace Fury. Thats why I have two potential leads for my Baton Pass Squad and depending on the opposing team, I use one of them. It is a trade off between: Do I need Rocks badly this game? Is that potential Zardy a huge threat, forcing me to lead with my secondary lead? The secondary lead doesnt have to be a rocker, just a supporter, example:

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Ice Beam

Ice Beam is a cool antilead move and with dual screens, you can use Sub over Lightscreen on Volbeat.
You can try this secondary lead with this if you expect a Volbeat antilead

Yo Hayburner, cool stuff youve got there. I like your team alot but I have some suggestions:

1) Clef has Magic Guard so you might as well use 252 HP over 248. No need for odd HPstats.
2) I dont really think Unaware Clef is a hindrance. You have Stored Power, Sludge Wave, Wave Incense boosted Surfs and Encore Volbeat. You do not really need Hoopa-U for stall. You should replace Hoopa-U by a mon that discourages antileads.
I use Scolipass alot and so many try to lead with their Hoopa-U and love to spam Hyperspace Fury. Thats why I have two potential leads for my Baton Pass Squad and depending on the opposing team, I use one of them. It is a trade off between: Do I need Rocks badly this game? Is that potential Zardy a huge threat, forcing me to lead with my secondary lead? The secondary lead doesnt have to be a rocker, just a supporter, example:

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Ice Beam

Ice Beam is a cool antilead move and with dual screens, you can use Sub over Lightscreen on Volbeat.
Yung sauce gawd Robopoke whats poppin

Hayburner

WHAT A POGGER CURRY!

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Ice Beam

Yea I definitely agree with putting a lead and hoopa is replaceable I'll try out the Latios thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)