CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with this... I don't understand how some people have the guts to even bother posting such idiotically simplistic names ('Watter', 'Shramp', and 'Awn', I'm looking at you).
There have been very few such simple names, whereas puns based on shrimp/prawn/krill and names based on latin biological names or foreign languages are ten-a-penny. Yes, "Awn" is idiotically simplistic, but so are "Mew", "Muk", "Koffing", "Gastly", "Haunter", and many other official Pokemon. There are probably better simple names for this Pokemon than "Awn", but I feel it would be a shame if the final poll has nothing with fewer than three syllables.

That said, I'll probably end up voting for Krilowatt.

There have been very few such simple names, whereas puns based on shrimp/prawn/krill and names based on latin biological names or foreign languages are ten-a-penny. Yes, "Awn" is idiotically simplistic, but so are "Mew", "Muk", "Koffing", "Gastly", "Haunter", and many other official Pokemon. There are probably better simple names for this Pokemon than "Awn", but I feel it would be a shame if the final poll has nothing with fewer than three syllables.

That said, I'll probably end up voting for Krilowatt.
The difference, of course, is that those actually mean something; 'mew' is the sound that a kitty makes, muck is what Muk literally is, and the others are multisyllabic and while not the most creative, they DO actually mean something, unlike 'Awn', which as far as I can tell, can only closely relate to 'yawn', which (unless we give it that move) has little to do with the concept.

I didn't mean to rip specifically on yours, and there were worse examples than that which I probably should have used (more recently like 'shell' and 'voxi', but-- all the same. :\ Sorry.

And now, here's the link to mine once more (hopefully for the last time), because while it got a little notice, I've yet to hear any specific thoughts on it:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2574055&postcount=49

My name was 'Gloebi,' a play on the japanese shirmp word 'Koebi' and/or 'glow+ebi'.

I know you weren't referring just to mine (and actually, though I'm leaving it as my entry, but a day later I do wonder what I was thinking with it).

final submission: Teshrizap

used words:

te
sla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla) + shrimp+ Zap

when i see the CAP's artwork,my mind makes this name instantly.
Sounds cool, but a bit convoluted, IMO. The tesla reference especially gets lost easily (compared to the other two, anyway), although ironically it is the part that makes it sound cool in the first place :D

For reference purposes: I've seen continuous support for (in approximate order of frequency, since I haven't actually counted) up until now:

-Krilowatt
-Ebion (I like it, it reminds me of the bottled water)
-Prawnto
-Overkrill
-Jumbolt

So far that's a pretty good list. Unless a truly epic names gets submitted soon, these will probably be the names advancing.

Final Submission

Final Submission

Brightin

Deceptively simple, not only is it a play on Brighten, in reference to this CaP's
glowing shell, It is also it is a portumanteau (Did I spell that right?) of Bright,
and Chitin. Chitin is the main component of the cell walls of fungi, the
exoskeletons of arthropods such as crustaceans (e.g. crabs, lobsters, and
shrimps)

Thank you wikipedia!

(This is a final submission, by the way.)

okay, just a quick test... Does anyone see the electrical reference in the name? Shreempee

It's pronounced Shree (rhymes with tree) then the sounds of the letters M and P.
Shree-em-pee.

and another question. Am I writing the name right for how I want it to sound? And also, should there be any apostrophes, and are apostrophes even allowed?

I'd pronounce it as two syllables, losing the reference. There was another name I saw a similar issue with, forgot which. In general I think it's better if the 'correct' pronunciation is how most people would naturally read it. Obviously things like soft vs hard c or g are a bit of a problem, but if a name requires what looks like one syllable to be pronounced as two that doesn't help it.

Pokemon names with apostrophes are fine, if a bit Farfetch'd.

You could try Shriempi to make the pronunciation clearer, and also have echoes of 'scampi', but people still might pronounce the ie as one vowel, especially as it resembles 'shriek'. I'm not sure you're going to get an unambiguous pronunciation without apostrophes or accents (and accents I think aren't allowed). With apostrophes it's gonna look weird, not that that is automatically a bad thing.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The difference, of course, is that those actually mean something; 'mew' is the sound that a kitty makes, muck is what Muk literally is, and the others are multisyllabic and while not the most creative, they DO actually mean something, unlike 'Awn', which as far as I can tell, can only closely relate to 'yawn', which (unless we give it that move) has little to do with the concept.

I didn't mean to rip specifically on yours, and there were worse examples than that which I probably should have used (more recently like 'shell' and 'voxi', but-- all the same. :\ Sorry.

And now, here's the link to mine once more (hopefully for the last time), because while it got a little notice, I've yet to hear any specific thoughts on it:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2574055&postcount=49

My name was 'Gloebi,' a play on the japanese shirmp word 'Koebi' and/or 'glow+ebi'.
Mew is probably meant to be a play on the mathematical term "Mu", which is used in statistics to symbolize a population (the entirety of any data set). That it looks like a cat is probably more incidental.

Truth be told, winning names for CAPs generally have to tie in an element of the artwork, humor, and be fairly easy to pronounce (if not spell). The more esoteric the base reference, the harder it is to sell.

Since my Kiljolt was missed as my final submission, I guess I wanted to bring it back up.

Krill+jolt, minus the "r" in krill to make it sound more deadly, as being a utility counter definitely has its merits. Besides, who doesn't see CAP10 killing something? "Kil-" still references krill, but without it actually being in the name.

Should there be one or two "l"s?

Edit: The first part of the name could even reference kilowatt.

-Terywj

Thanks a TON cantab for the help. I'm still trying to figure out if your suggested revision would be better or not, as I'd prefer yours as it adds another shrimp type reference and may better be understood. And I personally really like how it looks. :)

The first time I read it, I read it with the ie making the vowel sound together, and it actually sounded exactly how I wanted it, as I want the "E" of the word EMP (which is actually an abbreviation for Electromagnetic Pulse, and also since it's not a real word, where my problem begins >_<), to be part of the combination with Shrimp, as I think it would be more clever. So there would be 3 distinct syllables. First, Shrie/Shree for the E (NOT shri,which can be said with the letter "I" sound at the end which would ruin everything), em, using the ending e of Shrie/Shree for the M sound also, and pi/pee for the P.

any more suggestions or is it just too confusing to even consider submitting? "/ cuz I personally thought it was pretty clever... XP

Mew is probably meant to be a play on the mathematical term "Mu", which is used in statistics to symbolize a population (the entirety of any data set). That it looks like a cat is probably more incidental.

Truth be told, winning names for CAPs generally have to tie in an element of the artwork, humor, and be fairly easy to pronounce (if not spell). The more esoteric the base reference, the harder it is to sell.
That's interesting and good to know, but I think it's probably more the other way 'round. :0 (the Japanese spelling of Mew's name is 'Myuu', after all)

So, to be clear, are you saying that my naming attempt doesn't emulate what you're describing, or were you just telling us that? I wasn't sure if you were specifically talking about my name with this or not.

Final Submission

SupaEleShrimpSexyPantsM'gee

It's obviously electric and a shrimp and I believe its got super powers with magic guard. It's sexy and it can wear pants if it really wants to
Read the rules. The letter limit for final submissions is 10 characters.

Final Submission (though it was in the title last time)

Krilowatt

Simply a mix of kilowatt and that extra "r" for the krill reference. It brings out how it's more of an Electric type than Water. Also, it has watt in there anyway.

No double L's. While the extra L really adds to the krill reference, it should be blatantly noticeable that the sounding of Krill is in there. Therefore, one L is just as good as two. One L just looks more pleasing to the eye when reading.

Also: Thank you guys for all of the support for this name. I didn't think it would get this far. And I will vote SJCrew's Scampali, Doug's Ebion, and Deck Knight's Prawnto. When do submissions end?

I have some favorites in this thread for various reasons... and since we're encouraged to comment on names with insight, I suppose I'll add my two cents.

Krilowatt is both punny and relative to the name. It's sharp, like the design, but the pun/irony of the name works very well with the design and what it's attempting to do as a utility counter.

Ebion is a confusing one. While the name is very creative and also relative, Ebi, as a foreign language, is hard to use. It was used perfectly here, and the name is five letters, suiting for a shrimp. When saying Ebion, it sounds almost cute, which works.

Prawnto gives an entirely different mood to the pokemon, but works well as well. I immediately think "Lanturn" when I read Prawnto, which works, since they're both electric/water and can be used as counters. Self-explanatory, the name makes it sound fast and effective.

Brinegate was my idea, trying to bring the idea of a type of common shrimp and CAP10's ability to negate opponents using electricity (negative) together. It doesn't flow as well as the others I like, but some advertising is okay.

I'll definitely be voting for the first three for the reasons given, and my own if there's a chance to vote for four.

Final Submission

Final Submission

Shriempii

Shr- Gets the shrimp reference into the name, which the art design of the Pokemon is based off of.

eE-M-Pii- Reference to an EMP, an abbreviation for an Electromagnetic pulse. EMP's are basically a nuke to electronics. It is an ultimate counter to electronics, but to nothing else. This pokemon is set up to be a suitable counter to one or only a few certain pokemon at a time, but to falter against powerhouse pokemon it is not set to counter. An EMP can counter electronics, but it can't counter a human mind, non-electrical mechanics, etc. (unless its an EMP from a Nuclear explosion, but lets just say for the sake of simplicity and understanding it's a non lethal EMP :P)

Also, a Shrimp Scampireference can also be seen in the name.

As I said before, I would come back with my top 10 favorites. After a tournament bracket (who doesn't like tournament brackets?), I decided on, in no particular order: Prawnto, Overkrill, Krillotine, Prwn, Interprawn, Caridampe, Penaeaday, Luminocean, Voltrawn and Krillemall. After some more brackets, It was down to 2: Krillemall and Prawnto. I wish it didn't come to that, because I really like both of those names, but then I remembered something...
Originally Posted by Fat reachzero

General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Incapable of countering several Pokemon at once? Why name a Pokemon Krillemall if it can't actually live up to its name? Now Prawnto, he would live up to his name. Only a Shrimp whose job it is to take care of business in a flash, clearing the way for you to crush your opponent is truly deserving of a name like that. Not only that, but it's catchy, too. So in the end, Prawnto is my pick.

Okay, I wasn't sure if my was / will be counted, so I'm submitting it one more time just to be sure. (I deleted the original post, so still just one final submission.)

FINAL SUBMISSION:
Gloebi (glow-EH-bee) : A play on 'koebi', the Japanese word for prawn, combined with the english word 'glow'. It is also a literal interpretation of exactly what CAP-10 is-- a luminescent shrimp (glow ebi).

OKAY, this is the last time I post this.
....seriously.

The names done by others that I like are Carivolt, Krilowat, Ebion, and maaaaaayyybe Scurrent (Scurrint, Scurrunt?). Reasons why I discussed in my post on page 5.

So far, I think I am entirely behind Krilowatt. It's gotten to the point where I start calling the CAP by it second-handedly and without precursor thought. Once it gets there, then it's the best choice in my book.

I'm also pleased with the use of 1 'L' over 2, as it emphasizes the Kilowatt reference more than Krill, and I don't particularly like the use of a weak noun such as krill or prawn to begin with. Big thumbs up, thegamer128!

Final Submission:

Pulsacean
(pul-SAY-shun): A combination of "pulse", referring to an electric pulse, hence the Pokemon's part-electric typing, and "crustacean", referring to what kind of animal is resembles (as shrimp are crustaceans). Plus, the name itself is pronounced "pulsation", again referring to its electric typing.

Final Submission:

Pulsacean
(pul-SAY-shun): A combination of "pulse", referring to an electric pulse, hence the Pokemon's part-electric typing, and "crustacean", referring to what kind of animal is resembles (as shrimp are crustaceans). Plus, the name itself is pronounced "pulsation", again referring to its electric typing.
I think the "crustacean" aspect of this does not get communicated well by the name. The most prominent part of "Crustacean" is the "Crust", and without it, "acean" alone could very well refer to something else like "cetacean", "testacean", "phocacean", etc. The ending "-acean" by definition is something that belongs to a certain "-acea". I'm not really sure how you can bring out the "crustacean" aspect of this better without completely changing up the name. Spending 5/10 chars on "-acean" is a waste, I feel. Perhaps you can rearrange the name somehow?

Lithirill

(Lithium Battery+ Krill)
Hey, this is actually a really nice name! Only one thing: have you considered dropping the second 'i' and using "Lithrill"? It rolls off the tongue better, I think. Also, be sure to put the words "Final Submission" in your actual post body, or your submission will not get counted!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Concerning the obscurity of the name "Shrimpot" (tennisace): words
Chill out for a second. I didn't and still don't have the time to go through the entire thread to pick out each and every name that was foreign or scientific or just too complex. I just picked a bunch that were in the last page or so to illustrate a point.

My point was, and still is: while Nintendo has more complicated names (Gardevoir, Chikorita), the majority of them are simple in meaning (Abomasnow, Magikarp, Skitty line, Abra line, Mudkip line). The more complicated you get, the better the chance of the name sounding contrived. I mean potentiometer because it's electric? Alright it was pretty cool the first time with the -ohm ending but you don't have to telegraph every thing it may or may not be within the name.

While I just picked people's names, I never went into detail why I liked them.

Scampali, first of all, sounds very lighthearted and cute, which is what I seem to look for in a name. Not cuteness, but relation to Pokemon's appearance. Next, while the name has nothing to do with shrimp, scamp has a purpose. It means mysterious young person, as SJCrew said, and with further thought, it's true. While CAP10 is small, it will certainly wipe the floor with any one Pokemon it desires. This is the exact opposite of Overkrill, which feels more like the most amazing Pokemon ever, which would mean it would have to counter a lot. The ONLY reason I don't see the name too fit is because it can counter one Pokemon specifically. That's competitive battling. We're making this for competitive battling, but overall it's still just supposed to be a Pokemon. If only it has a moveset to back up the fact it's Scampali, then it would be an amazing name.

Ebion has a distinct feeling to it, and also adds to cuteness, including that little "Ion" that wasn't used often. While "Ebi" is Japanese shrimp, people shouldn't complain that the reference to Shrimp is obvious. A Pokemon to counteract this is easily Pachirisu. Seriously, the Japanese name being the same as English. Why can't Ebion be part Japanese? This also leads back to my claim that the "krill" reference doesn't need priority with that second L.

Prawnto was a close decision for me. Firstly, prawn is shrimp. Those that overly exaggerate that references to shrimp shouldn't be too obvious. This one is obvious, but look closely. The point of the shrimp is to take on one Pokemon and win. Prawnto! Simple concept. BUT, as I have stated earlier, this is relating to competitive battling a little more than I desire, so that's why it's only a fourth pick. Though, like Scampali, if CAP10 can pull off being Prawnto if it were in a real game, it would be amazing as well.

So, this is my order of best to worst:

Ebion > Scampli > Prawnto

I'd put Krilowatt in front but that would be biased. :P My reasons for Krilowatt are already stated.

I like Shriempi a lot as well. It has echoes of "scampi", it fits the Pokemon's theme well and it has a nice "hidden" pun. I applaud.

For me its between this and Krilowatt.

Putting this out there for some feedback.

Sparikrill [SPAR-eh-krill]

A portmanteau of 'spark' and 'krill' with an extra syllable added for good taste. I was looking for something I could hear Ash shouting before "I choose you!" or the Pokedex say before "The electric shrimp Pokemon." Was I close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)