CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here is where artists will submit sprites for CAP10, as based on the artwork. These sprites are what will be implemented on our Shoddy server.

Supporting material for use by spriters

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Name: Krilowatt
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Rules

• 1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.

• 2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.

• 3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.

• 4) No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon.

• 5) Sprites must be in PNG format.

• 6) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.

• 7) Use transparent backgrounds.

• 8) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.

• 9) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
I expect anybody who wants to submit sprites to heed these rules very closely. Submissions that don't follow these guidelines will be disqualified, and the posts deleted. What goes to the actual sprite poll is decided by my personal preference and feedback within the thread, and that decision is final. By submitting something here, you are stating that you are willing to conform to these guidelines and standards, and that you won't complain about them in this thread or elsewhere.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:

• Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites. Animations are not required and will not be used as part of the final product; however, it does add to the "appeal" aspect of your submission. You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too. Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help. Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Good luck, everybody.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just going to post that if anyone needs help with their sprites or recolours for the shinies I'd be glad to oblige.

Though I might have a go myself :P

cartoons that looks good, but i would try making it a little bigger. i imagine this cap being really large because of the high hp. i guess just wait to see what other people think about it though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been playing with a sprite for our electroshrimp too.

I plan to make the colors a little richer, but I'm not going to make this any bigger. I'm trying to make this sprite as small as I reasonably can. I like the irony of a tiny shrimp with a titanic HP stat. Also, I'm sick of every CAP sprite being MASSIVE. As spriters try to cram in every detail, we have to make the sprites bigger and bigger. It's to the point where every CAP sprite now fills the entire 80x80 box, even though ingame very few sprites are that big. So, for CAP10, I'm willing to sacrifice detail in order to keep the size down.

Doug, his snout is too sharp and lacks the upwards curl of the original art. Furthermore, I think it's too long in general, (the snout), and that once you do the curl up it might fix itself. I also think agree, the colors are a bit desaturated and need to be richer.

I also agree with the notion of a small sprite, especially since there's very little actual detail in the original art itself anyways.

Started on mine as soon as the final artwork was announced.

I didn't really try to make it that big, I just opened the 80x80 canvas and drew it out. If there's enough popular call for CAP 10 looking small I'll change the size.

I think Vader317 has the best use of color so far, but I agree with Doug, the sprite should definitely be smallish to match his shrimpy stature. Vader, I also like your pose, but obv it's quite large-ish. Maybe see what you can do to make it smaller, hmm....?

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are you thinking Alch, this is a terrible sprite! I think I'll just say that it's a work in progress to guard my self esteem...

It's a work in progress btw

Figured I'd give this a bash, I wanna get back into spriting...

Massive WIP here.
...it looks.... fat.... LOL.
No but in all seriousness, I think this is a good start; if I were you I'd keep the head as it is in terms of size, make the body maybe half its current size, and enlarge the limbs slightly. Make sure the body retains that curved shrimp shape, hmm?

I think Vader's and Mofo's have the best use of color so far, and I like Cartoons' the best overall at this point. The only things I'd like to see changed on Toons' sprite are coloration, and just maaaayybe have the eyes (or pupils) a little larger to enhance its cuteness.

EDIT - Oh and BTW, I'm yet another of the many talentless scratch-spriters who can recolor stuff pretty well, in case anyone needs that done.

It seems like everyone is doing the same basic position. It would be nice to see more then just slight variations. For instance, it would be nice to see one swimming. I kind of see it swimming by undulating its body, and I think it would be nice to see the mobility of this Pokemon, rather than it being simply static.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I darkened and brightened some colors, and tweaked the head a bit:

As for the pose -- I had a tough time with it, because shrimp are typically associated with the "C-shaped" look (it's not accidental that Abird used that for his design pose). I sketched a few other sprite poses, but they all looked kinda weird. So, I went to the fallback of working off the original art pose. But, CAP spriters are known for getting creative, so I expect others to push the envelope a bit.

I like that pose moocle. I prefer the second one (shrimpv2.png). The tail position the the first one reminds me of a scorpion. Also, I am unsure if shrimp curl back past straight however I may be wrong about that.

Edit: Mofo is right. A small change in the angle with the same pose will fix that.
As a side note Teddiursa's sprite is the only one that I could find that didn't have at least their head facing the left.

Inspiration derived from aragornbird's very own Earthquaking shrimp pose.

Any comments before I move on to possibly females/shiny/back sprites?

Inspiration derived from aragornbird's very own Earthquaking shrimp pose.

Any comments before I move on to possibly females/shiny/back sprites?
personally it looks a bit crowded in the lower-left corner... it's tough to distinguish what is what. Maybe move the back leg or the tail to a different angle? Or maybe mess with the shading? I don't know I suck at drawing T_T

other than that it looks great. Dead on on the color; if it were any darker it would look like a lobster :P

I've done a lot to make different shades of outlines and shading to differentiate the limbs. I don't think I could bend anything any way without making it awkward or anatomically incorrect. It may look like a mess at first glance, but it doesn't really look that bad after a bit. ._. Thanks for the criticism! (HAH at those voting at art who said the shrimp would be easier to sprite)

Super-tentative shiny coloration just for kicks. Thoughts?

Whats with all of the size being relative to the hp. Its a shrimp. That being said I like cartoons how it is.

This is the most solid sprite so far. Others are too big or odd sizes.

I don't like the excessive black. It seems to hardened and not much like a 4th gen sprite tbh (more like 3rd gen during Emerald if I really had to put my finger on it). The antennea could definitely use a more pink touch and the bottom left claw (it's left, so our right) doesn't seem to be supporting any weight. Odd angle. I also don't feel you need the right eye. The way it's position makes it look bigger than the left which is closer. I'd say you can lose it all together. This is a good rough draft.

I've done a lot to make different shades of outlines and shading to differentiate the limbs. I don't think I could bend anything any way without making it awkward or anatomically incorrect. It may look like a mess at first glance, but it doesn't really look that bad after a bit. ._. Thanks for the criticism! (HAH at those voting at art who said the shrimp would be easier to sprite)

Super-tentative shiny coloration just for kicks. Thoughts?
That shiny is wicked epic, and doesn't at all have the crowding problem. Maybe tweak the contrast between the pink and the yellow on the regular version might help? Then again that's just my opinion... I'm sure I could get used to it eventually :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)