CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I tweaked the lower leg position and made some minor interior updates. I think this front sprite is pretty close to final.

I also put together a possible shiny coloring:

I like purple water shinies a whole lot, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to make one here on CAP10. But, this exact shiny coloring scheme is especially significant and appropriate for this pokemon -- I lifted the colors directly from the Lanturn shiny. Lanturn is not only one of my favorite pokemon, and one of the coolest pokemon in the game IMO, but it is also the only other pokemon with both Water and Electric typing. So, I think paying tribute to Lanturn with this shiny coloring is pretty nifty. Not to mention, purple and green look cool together!

And lastly, I put together a little animated gif of the progress of my sprite from the very first outline draft to the version I have now.

Other spriters may be able to scratch a sprite in one shot, but I certainly can't. I mold sprites from the draft to final by repeated refinements and tweaks. If anyone reading this is curious or interested in this kind of spriting technique -- that little animation gives you an idea of how it is done. Also, I think the animation showing the "evolution" of the sprite looks pretty cool. Almost like the pokemon is "growing" right before your eyes! Anyway, it's fun for kicks...

Looking good, Doug... I think that's about as good as yours is gonna get.
Some people don't like the generic 'same-pose-as-the-art' thing, but I don't really have all that much of a problem with it. =0 That is, I appreciate others' attempts to change the pose, but it seems like you guys might be trying too hard, you know?

The only thing I'd like to see change on Doug's is for its antennae to have that little 'crook' they have on the art. It's a total nitpick, sorry, but I really like the charm that it brings to the antennae of the art design, LOL.

Current Beta Sprite. Unfinished
Still need to sprite in the other two pairs of legs.
Though I thought I'd get some feedback in the meantime.

So, basically, I wanted to do something different.
The idea I got was "swimming, tail extended"
While most pictures of this Pokemon have shown it standing...
I tried picture it deep underwater, were it has been said it lives.

I knew most submissions would probably have it standing, so I thought I'd make this.
Just giving an alternative to the classic position, in case the community wants it.

...God, figuring out how to make that body was complicated. o.o;

Very rough draft, still have to clean it up alot. Just wanted to know how it looks so far.

It looks awesome, the tail is a different design to the artwork though - a possible male/female difference? I'm also hesitant about the left antenna going under the claw - it looks like it's grooming itself, which I don't think shrimps do.

But as I said originally, it's awesome. I love the pose. Smile!

And at Doug, the shiny sprite colouring is fantastic. I didn't like them on Lanturn, but they suit this one really well. Nice find!

Doug, as much as I love the reflection of Shiny Lanturn in your sprite, I don't think it looks any better on CAP10 than it does on Lanturn. Doug, I think the biggest problem I have with your sprites is that they completely lack character. Every Pokemon sprite to date has character in some fashion, either via facial expressions (I know the Shrimp can't do that all that well) or in some other way, such as flipper positioning or what have you. They're dynamic and in-action, something that right now your sprites completely lacks.

Dragonzrule, I really like your sprites a lot. It's got a lot of character and has a very rolling and moving pose. I agree with ChrisE about the left antenna, though, it shouldn't be underneath the claw, it should be over it. Furthermore, I definitely think that for the main (male) sprite, you should adjust the tail to closer fit the actual art design. You could do the round tail for the female sprite and it'd look great there. I also absolutely dig the utterly evil shiny colors - I could see myself using a doom shrimp.

Very rough draft, still have to clean it up alot. Just wanted to know how it looks so far.
Keep working on it, you have the most original and interesting pose so far.
The tail feels like it curves in a little too much, and the lighting needs to be done a little better. I'm looking forward to the completed work. :3

DougJustDoug

I think that your sprite really needs a harder, darker outline. Right now is just doesn't jump off the page, the detailing is nice but it looks unnoticeable and a bit childish. It needs more emphasis, more striking, ambitious colours.

Courtesy of MS Paint:

Based off the Brick Break pose from the support material. The shiny coloration is a little weird, and I might need to try my hand at something other than MS Paint to get the outline a bit thinner or something.

Other than that, thoughts?

Edit: Apparently, I also forgot the two middle legs. Whoops.

Aha! Got it done! I'm really proud of how it looks, personally.
Especially since this is my first attempt at the Sprite Portion of CAP.

I feel the extended body and the "waving" antennae helps the sprite look larger, while still making CAP10 look rather small.

Any comments? I'd really appreciate some crit, so I can make some final tweaks, before I start on the shiny coloration, and then the Backsprite.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Hmmm I was thinking it may look cool if our CaP was in more of an offensive position, like with the head at the bottom of the sprite and the body behind and above it so it looks as if it's charging towards another Pokemon. Maybe something to consider since most of the sprites of yet look really similar.

Cartoons!'s is my favorite, though it could stand to be a bit bigger.

And DougJustDoug, I'm with Tarquin in thinking that it would look better with harder, blacker outlines.

I agree with Rising Dusk Doug, your pos is boring. It sits there and doesn't have any character. It looks dead, especially because of the U shape. Othr than that I like the colors, and the general look. Enlarging it might help, but I don't know.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I darkened the outlines a little bit, but I didn't go back to the heavy dark outlines that I had in the early versions.

I'm planning on sticking with the general C-shaped pose, but I do agree with feedback from others that my sprite lacks personality. I experimented with getting away from the strict interpretation of the round, lifeless shrimp eyes. In looking at Aragornbird's original design, although the eyes are round and plain, the subtle eye shading, eye placement, and slant of the "lightning bolt" on the face all contribute to give the eyes and face a somewhat aggressive look. So, I'm experimenting with a different eye shape, to punch up the sprite a little bit and give it a little personality.

Plain Eyes

Aggressive Eyes

So, what do you think? Seeing the two side by side, I think the aggressive eyes make the pose look like the pokemon is crouched and ready for battle. Whereas, the round plain eyes make the pokemon look static, or perhaps frozen with fear. But, I've been looking at this sprite so much over the past few days, that I have a hard time making an objective assessment. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Added more touches to the sprite; mostly the shading and fixing proportions. The sparkles are hard to see on this background, sorry.

EDIT: Rereading the rules, does rule #4 apply here?

I darkened the outlines a little bit, but I didn't go back to the heavy dark outlines that I had in the early versions.

I'm planning on sticking with the general C-shaped pose, but I do agree with feedback from others that my sprite lacks personality. I experimented with getting away from the strict interpretation of the round, lifeless shrimp eyes. In looking at Aragornbird's original design, although the eyes are round and plain, the subtle eye shading, eye placement, and slant of the "lightning bolt" on the face all contribute to give the eyes and face a somewhat aggressive look. So, I'm experimenting with a different eye shape, to punch up the sprite a little bit and give it a little personality.

Plain Eyes

Aggressive Eyes

So, what do you think? Seeing the two side by side, I think the aggressive eyes make the pose look like the pokemon is crouched and ready for battle. Whereas, the round plain eyes make the pokemon look static, or perhaps frozen with fear. But, I've been looking at this sprite so much over the past few days, that I have a hard time making an objective assessment. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
i agree that the round eyes look a little static, but i'm not feeling the angry eyes, but it's a step in the right direction. I sugjest a middleground between the 2 eyes

DougJustDoug said:
Angry eyes is going a long way to help with the pose and personality of the sprite. I was thinking, since right now you can't actually see the right foremost claw, you could make him pointing it forward like he's threatening whatever he's up against. That could be really cool and would further add to the emotion of the sprite. Also, for what it's worth, I think a rosier pink would make the sprite a bit more vibrant. Keep it up!
Chaoscrippler said:
These are simply adorable. I really, really like them, and can find no fault in them. If the sparklies aren't allowed, that's fine too. The thing would still look great without them too. Superb job, Chaoscrippler, I didn't think anyone would nail it that effectively until well into the later parts of this thread.

Added more touches to the sprite; mostly the shading and fixing proportions. The sparkles are hard to see on this background, sorry.

EDIT: Rereading the rules, does rule #4 apply here?
The nose bends up a little too quickly, and the antennas don't have an outline, which makes them look bad. Other than that, good work.

Every Pokemon sprite to date has character in some fashion, either via facial expressions (I know the Shrimp can't do that all that well) or in some other way, such as flipper positioning or what have you. They're dynamic and in-action, something that right now your sprites completely lacks.
First thing I thought of when I read this was a possible pose similar to Puss in Boots - front legs up in front of huge eyes and big head, looking ridiculously cute but just waiting for the right moment to drop the charade and knock you flat on your face. Could definitely see this guy pulling that off....I'd do it myself if I had an ounce of spriting capability.

In any case, I've got to say Scept's has the most going for it at this point, mainly because it's the most dynamic. Not so much a fan of the pale coloring, though; don't know if mixing and matching is allowed, but using Scept's pose and adding Doug or Vader's colors would garner quite possibly perfection, at least in my opinion. Dynamic + vibrant = befitting sprite for epic concept.

while paris hilton's stands out, that dragon guys looks better in my oppinion. I'm working on my submission right now. OH HEY just to tell you i'm new and i hope that my scratch spriting can improve by hanging with all the awesome scratchers in this forum!

Cartoon's sprite is currently my favorite. Looks like CAP10 just turned around and said, "This is not a game of, 'Who-the-fuck-are-you?'" The pose lets you know that it's ready for a tussle. At the same time though, it could just as easily be climbing over a rock, or spreading the blinds and looking out a window.

It may need a slightly sharper kink in the feelers. Maybe.

I am interested in seeing a more extreme shiny, though. If your shiny is close enough to the common that can't tell the difference while wearing a pair of light sunglasses, then I'm not a fan.

DougJustDoug's is a close second favorite. The shiny looks much better on it than on Lanturn. I don't really have a problem with it at all, I just like the posing on Cartoons! a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)