CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Loving the action pose, Sentret. Helps a lot. Not entirely convinced, like with Doug's, it would ever be made, since it's a bit gruesome to think about. But then again, I'm not entirely sure I care. It's really well done.

The only thing I would say is to be sure that the fiery-glove thing on his left hand doesn't come across as being spectral. Try to make the flame look more organic as if the glove is on fire, rather than the flames being conjured.

Steampowered it looked better crouching, and if you are not going to take the smoke at least make it look like smoke, cuz it looks like a cushion to me

i personally love this.
Its based on a sea anemone hermit crab.

dry skin is obvious, (crabs.. dur. and anemones too kinda)

and poison is the sea anemone, and the crab is fire. YES.

Constructive critizism welcome :D

supporting artwork: http://i.imgur.com/iPv6K.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/mirror/jelliurn.jpg

Alright a quick post of lantern jelly In color! I'll be back later to make some commentary of my favorites so far. :D
I know I shouldn't of quoted the whole picture, but I feel it's worth it so more people can see it.

Anyways, I really like this design, though I would make the fire a little bit more reddish so you can tell that it's a fire type.

Some other designs I like are Ylix's, Mos's, and Doug's.

i really love bluemons. it shows the physical bulkiness and the poison/fire typing is illustrated well.

hbu change the anemone for a volcano?

and doran dragon, i like your chimera with the feline face better

Bluemon: I love the concept. My own suggestion would be to make the crab a little more... I dunno, fiery? Perhaps give crab a fire-esque color scheme, or if you can manage it, appear like a boiled one would. For some reason, I keep thinking that blue with some red or white would look good (but not both red and white). Otherwise, I would add a little more flavor to the shell and anemone, and it would be great to hear a little bit about the creature as a whole.

thornchild: I agree with whomever said your design should get more attention, as I think it is a good idea. The way I envision it, your pokemon may start life as an deepsea aquatic animal (possibly Water/Poison in a pre-evolution), but dreams of exploring higher and higher sealevels (perhaps eventually altitudes) and a fire of passion ignites within it, causing it to act much like a hot-air balloon and eventually makes it able to breach the water's surface (maybe only during night?). Since it is still aquatic by origin, it requires moisture (perhaps it lives in a rainy tropical sea/ocean?), especially as the flame would inherently dry it out. I could also see it learning some Ghost or Ghost-like techniques since it has a spectral-like blue flame and overall appearance (which is a nice touch, by the way).

I just kinda took the image and ran with it. I apologise if it undermines any ideas you had. >~>;

Lightlylights, I prefer the one without the circles around the eyes: they give it kind of a drunk poke, a weird look. Upon colors I think they are ok, double-colored wings are nice, but i'm not sure about the flame, it doesn't work with Dry skin well and it distracts the eye from the general pattern of the poke, and especially from the eyes.

Holy crap so many good designs. I really love thornchild's I would like to see maybe a tiny bit of orange or red. Not a lot but enough to signify a little moat fire.

Here's a design I've quickly whipped up, this is just a VERY rough draft that I want to work more on, I wanted to get some C&C before finalizing any details. It's a Hinkypunk (or a Will-o-the-Wisp), with a nuclear twist. Any comments are appreciated!

thornchild

Here's an update with some of the suggested changes. I added more red, and I made it's main body a little lighter. hopefully it looks a little less ghost like. Also my top 5! :D

Mos-Quitoxe: I will tell you right now I almost didn't even bother submitting after I saw that. You had me at the lavalamp.

Quanyails: I just like it. It's a cool design/idea.

Calad: It's so cute and pathetic, I love it though.

KoA: It kinda reminds me of Jabba. But that's part of it's charm.

paintseagull: Love the newt basalisk.

Kind of generic, but here it goes:

MS Paint early sketch of an air pollution based mon that unfortunately turned out to be very reptilian. Working on that. The main idea is to resemble a factory or combustion engine. While it blends the two typings very well without forcing it too much, I don't know what to do about dry skin (cooling water? factories consume ridiculous amounts of water).

Now feedback:

paintseagull: Not too complicated and very cool overall. I really like it.
DougJustDoug: That's a Marlboro pack. It's like if Donphan had "Firestone" written all over it's back.
thornchild: Really good stuff over there.
Calad: Wow. It perfectly blends the two typings and the ability. Not your average fire-type, but still a great concept. I would really like to see more of it.
Azul: Other than those fingers, concept is awesome. I was going to say that it looks like a ground-type with all that ground around it, but taking a look at your first drawings I figured that it's fine. One of my favourites so far.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Greetings from a long-time smogon and cap-lurker!

I was really inspired by Mos-Quitoxe's lava-lamp-mollusk, and I think it's certainly a cap-worthy design, but I felt that a squid might be the most appropriate "shape" for a pokemon in this cap design thread, given that octopi and squid are notorious for their flexible, mushy see-thru bodies.

Here's kind of what I have in mind:

A squid with a lava-lamp head and lava-jelly "hands" (or whatever you call the ends of the longer tentacles). I think the lava-lamp suits the squid, given that you might find them deep underwater. You might encounter this particular pokemon near newly-formed vents in the ocean, in underwater volcanos or where the deepest, newest crust is being made. Likewise, you might find them in hotspots where molten lava spills into the sea, lighting the way for sailors and travelers.

EDIT: and for what it's worth, I'm not sure I got the colors right. I'd like to incorporate some purple to imply the poison, and the lava-lamp could really work in any color despite orange looking "fiery" enough.

I've gotta say Mos-Quitoxe and Quanyails are by far the front-runners in this competition if only for the sheer amount of accompanying art to flesh out the designs. Both work really well with Dry Skin, the latter a little more so (this contest seems destined to end with a lizard or amphibian of some sort).

Honourable mention to aragornbird for three absolutely stellar designs. For this contest I'm much more partial towards the gila monster since it fits the ability the best but the camel and chimera (nice touch with the colour scheme) are both really cool and I'd love to see them fleshed out anyway.

I posted a few of the designs I liked on my Fakemon Tumblr just let me know if that's not cool or if you want me to link to a DA or blog or something instead of back to this thread and I'll comply.

Heres a new pose and a more detailed art design of my poisonous fire-shrew.

I wanted for it to be a bit more energetic, and a little less creepy, as such I redid the eyes and hands, and took the suggestions of people. Hope you like it :D

I'm not sure if I should scrap the idea, as I have no idea how dry skin could be incorporated. Should I pursue a different idea?

Likin' the squid, BlueConcept! (Then again, I'm a conossieur of cephalopods). Just a few tips on offer from an amateurish lurker:
1. I'd simplify the design just a smidgen. The lava-lamp body is superb, but the squid itself--are those little cannons above the eyes?--is a bit chaotic in execution, and the lava-hands seem awkward. Maybe replace them with orange-glowing suction cups for a cleaner effect--up to you.

2. A bit more suggestion of Poison might be handy, as all you have now is the occasional purple accent. Given that squids are aquatic creatures, this also might help it seem less Water-type (although as Stunfisk has proven, that's not always a requirement).
Cheers!
Mycroft

Here is a slightly revised version, with some touched-up shading and the addition of the vent mouth. My concept is a furnace squid, now slightly improved.

A super quickly done supporting art thing, in a slightly more dynamic pose, anyhow, with all the criticism about the smoke v things, I think I'll get rid of them, however I think that this would make it look to plain and not poison enough

if anyone has some suggestions on what i should replace the smoke vs with I would love to hear it

Likin' the squid, BlueConcept! (Then again, I'm a conossieur of cephalopods). Just a few tips on offer from an amateurish lurker:
1. I'd simplify the design just a smidgen. The lava-lamp body is superb, but the squid itself--are those little cannons above the eyes?--is a bit chaotic in execution, and the lava-hands seem awkward. Maybe replace them with orange-glowing suction cups for a cleaner effect--up to you.

2. A bit more suggestion of Poison might be handy, as all you have now is the occasional purple accent. Given that squids are aquatic creatures, this also might help it seem less Water-type (although as Stunfisk has proven, that's not always a requirement).
Cheers!
Mycroft
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I'm still working on that poison suggestion, but I kind of went in a different direction to simplify the design - by complicating it a little. Hopefully the gas-mask and the "smokescreen" imply the poison typing a little bit more.

I tried to give the squid a more authoritarian look, and he's saluting with one "hand" if it's not obvious (it might not be!).

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey blueconcept, really loving the design and all, just make sure your final design either a.) omits the smoke or b.) has a clear outline as prescribed as necessary in the OP. Honestly I'm cool with the smoke, as I think if you remove it it would be very difficult to stress that this isn't a water-type. Anyways, good job!

@Tin
I would make the splits on the side bigger to make it look like more of a furnace. Its one of the elements in yours that makes me like it a lot so if you made it a bigger part of your CAP it could look better. Also the feet are a little wierd i would add more detail. Same with thet tail. I see the skull and crossbones in it but it needs more

@nov
I really like the design, it just seems to lack the poison element of the CAP

Wow, so many great designs! It's beautiful! I'm really not looking forward to having to vote on these as I can't decide which one I like the most. Also, I want this thread to keep going forever. Well done everyone, well done.

Well, I gave up on my shrew because I didn't want to submit something that didn't look like it could run dry skin. So I whipped this up today. Its a hazmat lizard.

The concept is that it uses its tail as a flame thrower (fire typeing) while emiting noxious piping-hot exhaust from its nostrils and skull (poison typing). It needs lots of water to constantly refill the octane reserves in its stomach. It also looks like a hazmat guy which is pretty cool. I'll try to come up with some concept art soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)