CAP 4 CAP 4 - Base Stat Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Link to previous.
Well, here we go.
Since y'all wanted a "very good" spread, you made my life a bit harder, and the stats are a bit contrived. There really isn't a way to achieve my goals of the 109 speed and less-than-100 stats with divisible by 5 stats, while keeping in the limits. Be warned, this looks a lot like Admiral Stalfos' spread, but isn't exactly the same. Here we go.

99/80/97/70/95/109= 550

Yeah. I sold out. Told you it was contrived.

HP: 99 -
Same base HP as Tropius, except this won't suck. I liked my Dragonite 91, but like the rest of the spread, I had to bump it up. I would have gone for base 100, but I don't want 101 subs. Not that anyone uses them anymore.

Attack: 80 -
Another obligitory bump. 80 seems like a good number to give it, it's the same as Dugtrio, Miltank, and Skarmory, all supporting pokemon.
I actually wanted this higher in the original, so I guess its good enough for me.

Defense: 97 - Another odd number, shared by Cradily. I had to stick 2 points somewhere, so I chose Defense, because it is physical based. We all know how sturdy Cradily is.

Special Attack: 70 -
Obligitory bump. Now, it's not completely useless. You can use Sludge Bomb and Earth Power to your heart's content. Still outclassed by attack though. Same special attack as Claydol and Crobat, who both use it effectivly.

Special Defense: 95 - This stayed the same, so I'm going to quote what I said from my previous spread:
Same Special Defense as Heracross, Porygon-2, Vaporeon, and Magmortar. This allows it to take hits from the special side as well as on the physical side, and softens the blow from Ice Beams.

Speed: 109 -
I just realized now that Charzard and Typhlosion have 109 SpA, and checked my calculations against Smogon's...SPOT ON! W00T! Anyways, to quote again from my previous spread:
This right here is the most important part of the spread. Now, you may be thinking that stats not divisible by 5 are fanboyish and cheezy. However, there is a very good reason for this. Infernape is Base 108. This will completely outspeed Infernape given 232 Evs, and all Base 105s along with it. This ability comes with a price however. Even with max speed, it will NEVER be able to outspeed base 110s. That is what saves it from being broken, because it can never touch Gengar. Its useful, but its not like Syclant's 121, where it ALWAYS outspeeds Base 120s.
There's my (hopefully) final spread. If Sunday PM's me asking me for a spread, this is what I'll give him, unless someone gives me some feedback. Start rating!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Can you come up with a spread in the Very Good range with 600 BST?
The spread for Deoxys-S (50/95/90/95/90/180) has 600 BST and 352 Stat Rating (Very Good). So yeah, it's quite easy to come up with a 600 BST spread that is 'Very Good'.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oops. Well my point was that we probably WON'T come up with one. There still won't be a limit, but I don't think the community will vote for a 600 BST spread anyways. BTW this isn't a challenge, for all those who want to prove me more wrong.

Can you come up with a spread in the Very Good range with 600 BST?
Even though you said this isn't a challenge, I'll still do just for the laughs.

60/80/135/75/120/130 = 600
P.Sweepiness: 127 (Moderately Good)
P.Tankiness: 144 (Very Good)
S. Sweepiness: 119 (Above Average
S. Tankiness: 130 (Moderately Good)
Offense/Defense Balance: -7.0 (Slightly Defensive)
Physical/Special Balance: 9.2 (Slightly Physical)
Overall Rating = 376 (Very Good)

600 BST and having a Very Good rating. I wouldn't submit this thought, too much bulk even for me.

tennisace

Thats kinda what I meant, sure you can do it, but you don't want anything that bulky.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, after careful concideration I have decided on a total of ten people whow ill be submitting Base Stat Spreads. These people always gave sizeable explanations of every aspect of their spreads, continually adjusted it and kept posting late on. They will be recieving a PM shortly and will have 24 Hours to submit their spread. That is all.

EDIT: May aswell keep this thread open so we have somewhere for discussion.

I seem to be a bit late to the party, but I've been screwing around with X-Act's Base Stat Rater and the Damage Calculator for hours now and I think I've come up with something really cool. If anybody likes it, they can use it as a reference when deciding on what to vote for.

100 HP is the minimum HP required to make 101 HP Substitutes.
76 Atk is the minimum Atk required to OHKO a standard Choice Specs Heatran with Earthquake.
102 Def is the minimum Def required to survive a Dragon Dance'd Life Orb'd Earthquake from an Adamant Tyranitar.
83 SpD is the minimum SpD required to survive a Calm Mind'd Psychic from Celebi or an Expert Belt'd Psychic from a Mixed Attacker Deoxys-S.
110 Speed seems to be the most popular speed tier to put this Pokemon in.

Raise the Atk to the nearest five, giving it enough Atk to 2HKO Garchomp with Ice Punch, even if it has Leftovers, and give it 80 SpA, enough to 2HKO most Grass types with Sludge Bomb, and you've got:

If you like it, vote for the closest thing! :)

I seem to be a bit late to the party, but I've been screwing around with X-Act's Base Stat Rater and the Damage Calculator for hours now and I think I've come up with something really cool. If anybody likes it, they can use it as a reference when deciding on what to vote for.

76 Atk is the minimum Atk required to OHKO a standard Choice Specs Heatran with Earthquake.
102 Def is the minimum Def required to survive a Dragon Dance'd Life Orb'd Earthquake from an Adamant Tyranitar.
83 SpD is the minimum SpD required to survive a Calm Mind'd Psychic from Celebi or an Expert Belt'd Psychic from a Mixed Attacker Deoxys-S.

Raise the Atk to the nearest five, giving it enough Atk to 2HKO Garchomp with Ice Punch, even if it has Leftovers, and give it 80 SpA, enough to 2HKO most Grass types with Sludge Bomb, and you've got:

If you like it, vote for the closest thing! :)
Really good with a lot of thought put into it, but a bit too specialized. We want this to have the least amount of odd numbers.So while this thing would be very effective, it's unpractible, and annoying to input for stats. Other then that, it's good

That's an awsome spread
Thanks! :)

Really good with a lot of thought put into it, but a bit too specialized. We want this to have the least amount of odd numbers.So while this thing would be very effective, it's unpractible, and annoying to input for stats. Other then that, it's good
What are you talking about? With the exceptions of a +2 to Def and a -2 to SpD, everything's divisible by five!

Oh never mind, I read this part thats why

Thats comes out odd

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You are still reasoning as if BST still is an indicator of how good the stats of a pokémon are. And it is not. The stat ratings offer a much more accurate depiction of the power of a spread. So, considering that, as long as the spread is within the voted stat rating, everything is fair game.

As a community that praises itself in understanding the pokémon metagame better than anyone, we shouldn't be bothered by the commentaries of those who disregard high BSTs without looking at the spread itself. The "BST = power" argument shows the same mentality as the "legendary = uber" one. Both part from assumptions that are generally wrong.
Too bad that assuption falls flat on its face when you consider that every top tier OU pokemon outside of those with a ridiculously low unused offensive stat all seem to have one thing in common: High BST.

Top 30 OU for June (Weighted Usage)

# Garchomp (66288504 points) [600]
# Gengar (53045305 points) [500]
# Gyarados (47415774 points) [540]
# Bronzong (43224891 points) [500]
# Tyranitar (41477471 points) [600]
# Heatran (39970652 points) [600]
# Lucario (38379712 points) [525]
# Blissey (37845455 points) [540]
# Salamence (33616776 points) [600]
# Celebi (32632200 points) [600]
# Infernape (30100650 points) [535]
# Metagross (28802841 points) [600]
# Starmie (27352485 points) [520]
# Swampert (26338977 points) [535]
# Gliscor (24462872 points) [510]
# Vaporeon (23722207 points) [525]
# Azelf (22519932 points) [580]
# Skarmory (21945678 points) [465]
# Weavile (21905553 points) [510]
# Forretress (21165085 points) [465]
# Zapdos (20866039 points) [580]
# Heracross (20321984 points) [500]
# Deoxys-e (20093872 points) [600]
# Magnezone (16986372 points) [535]
# Cresselia (16761068 points) [600]
# Togekiss (16318255 points) [540]
# Suicune (15822045 points) [580]
# Jirachi (15424243 points) [600]
# Snorlax (15219875 points) [540]
# Electivire (14974328 points) [540]

About the only pokemon that don't have a moderately high BST are Forretress/Skarmory, Heracross/Gengar/Bronzong, and Gliscor/Weavile. Everything else is 525 or greater, with 580/600s populating much of the list.

This is why when I try to be creative for an OU pokemon, I try to use the 525-540 range. It occurs naturally in OU, and most of its stars lie within those numbers. I consider anyone who exceeds these standard "limits" to be relying on a crutch because they can't optimize and innovate under the pressure of a recognized general maximum.

Why does everyone hate on Scylant? Because it's essentially a Lucario that slapped on 31 Base Speed for a marginal decrease in defense.

People mostly don't like Revenankh because we gave it some pretty badass abilities, but otherwise Rev is fine. Revenankh, despite being a boondoggle process-wise, is probably the best example of a finely innovated competitive OU pokemon. It isn't just another pokemon redressed in a different type with better stats across the board.

Pyroak sits at 540, which I still think was a bit much, but it is completely within the normal parameters of the game and completely in-line with my much disliked "rules."

Revenankh was pictured as a Bulk-Up Sweeper, Pyroak turned into a bulky fire type. Revvy managed with 525 and Pyroak did it in 540. What some of these tend to be turning out are more Scylants: Heavily overpowered by design, relying on huge BST to give them both speed and defenses while not being percieved as "too weak" offensively.

In short: Pyroak and Revenank are good examples on innovation because they actually attempt to resemble Pokemon and not fanboy wetdreams. Everyone tends to gear their spreads to optimize what they want to achieve. Were this not the case, the BST = power argument would be void. However, no one here, especially not myself, Aldaron, Mekkah, or most of the Stat Spread contributors have any interest in creating wasteful spreads. Every single point should, in theory, be used effectively. Thus, if we allow "unlimited funds," all we really have to do is beat X-Acts Bias calculators, which is easy enough to do in itself. As I said before, if I wanted to bump my 540 spread up to 560, I'd just add 20 points in Speed. It is still completely within every voted parameter, except now it outspeeds Jolteon/Aerodactyl/Crobat.

Matter of fact, I could boost the speed up to 172 and it would still be "Very Good," with Offense/Defense Bias still in the 5 to -10 ODB and -5 to 10 PSB.

That it would have BST 600 at that point would be irrelevant to you, but I imagine the server wouldn't think so and DJD would be up to his ears in complants.

Your calculator is a great tool, but exceedingly easy to beat:

107/80/99/70/97/112 = 565

Phy Sweep: 125, Rank 2 Moderately Good
Phy Tank: 150, Rank 4 Very Good
Spe Sweep: 110, Rank 1 Above Average
Spe Tank: 147, Rank 4 Very Good
ODB: -9.9, Slight to Defense
PSB: 8.1, Slight to Physical
Overall: 419, Very Good.

This spread is also completely within our current voting parameters, except I have inflated the stats of my previous spread in ways designed solely to work around your calculator. It feels like cheating but it is totally legal.

EDIT: Paradoxymoron's spread helps illustrate my point perfectly. His BST is 555, and his stats extremely well thought out and optimized for what he finds important. My inflated spread is pretty much the same, only it trades special attack for better Sdef and Speed while retaining the same offensive and defensive prowess. I can tweak my SA up 10 and drop 10 out of SD, and essentially I have his spread with 3 less defense, 7 more HP, 4 more SDef and, 2 more Speed. Basically the same, except mine is even tankier, and outspeeds Gengar, and sits at 415 now instead of 419.

In the world of CAP Stat Submission, where optimization is the norm and not the exception, BST = Power. Just like the same architect can build a bigger, better constructed building with more funds, spread submitters can build a bigger pokemon with more stats.

EDIT 2: Tennisace's spread is pretty much the 550 BST verion of my inflated spread. I completely missed his post earlie, but its the same principle that Paradoxymoron illustrates. The spread which is perfectly legal and has the most BST will be able to best "beat the system" by keeping those points in line with your calculator.

I've even managed to make a within parameters BST 590 Spread using X-Acts as a base, 67/84/130/74/122/113.

I grant you I'm trending very high on the "Very Good" plane to prove my point, but the fact is the ranges allow for so much tweakery that you can build a legendary pokemon right under people's noses if you game the system.

BST does not STRICTLY correlate to power. Of course, the higher the BST, the higher the chance of the spread being powerful, but what I want to underline is that two spreads, one with higher BST than the other, can be equivalent in terms of power. That alone means BST does not correlate to power perfectly.

On the other hand, two pokémon with the exact same stat ratings will have spreads equally powerful. Or at least, much, much more closer in power than two pokémon with equal BST can be.

Finally, your toying with the Base stats rating calculator, "beating" it, is the same as if, with a BST ranging from 525 to 540, I said: "Eh, that limit is easy to beat, I can make a spread more powerful than mine, which is currently 530 BST, and still be within the limits given". Of course you can make a more powerful spread if you go for the highest limit of a given range. But if you keep yourself in the same numbers (give or take one point or two), you'll get similar results no matter how you try.

The BST used right now is like design or colour: A mere matter of personal preference. I like blue pokémon, personally, but that doesn't invalidate the rest ;)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Deck Knight, did you even read my post?

You're basically saying "BST is what tells us how powerful the Pokemon is, and not BSR. BSR is bullshit." Sorry, but I'm offended. Make no mistake, you're lucky I'm a nice guy, or otherwise you would have been infracted.

"Matter of fact, I could boost the speed up to 172 and it would still be "Very Good," with Offense/Defense Bias still in the 5 to -10 ODB and -5 to 10 PSB." Deoxys-S bumps the Speed even further, and yet its BSR is 'Very Good' as well, and it has 600 BST. What's your point? Yes, if you bump up the Speed to 172, it is 'Very Good' and it's a legal spread. Don't you get it?

You're telling me "Your BSR system is flawed. BST isn't". Do you even know what Physical Tankiness is? Do you even KNOW that 40 HP, 132 Def and 132 SpD has the SAME DEFENSE as 100 HP, 80 Def and 80 SpD, even though 40 + 132 + 132 = 304 while 100 + 80 + 80 = 260?

You're telling me "BST = Power". So you're saying that Deoxys-S, having a BSR of 352, is equally powerful as Garchomp having 813 BSR, because "they both have 600 BST"?

Seriously, Deck Knight, I thought you were much more intelligent than your post would suggest. Your post makes it evidently clear that you don't know what BSR is, and you're actually dismissing it as flawed, even if you're not saying it.

"Your calculator is a great tool, but exceedingly easy to beat". What exactly are you trying to 'beat'? "OMG I CREATED A POKEMON WITH 630 BST BUT THAT'S ONLY RATED 'VERY GOOD' LOLOLOL!!!!" Is that your point? Is that what you're trying to 'beat'?

If you seriously think that the stat spreads you posted are illegal, then you need to read the Stats Rating thread repeatedly until you realise that they're not. And then read it all over again 3 more times. You're showing a complete lack of trust in my BSR system, and, until you start to trust it, no amount of posts from anyone of us will tell you otherwise. I was seriously considering infracting you with 'Lurk More' for that post. The truth is that many people here (the TL included) have stressed repeatedly that two Pokemon having equal BST have absolutely different power. So please, inform yourself.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
X-Act, none of my posts have attacked your calculator or the work you put into it. That you considered infracting me for even a percieved sleight of your calculator says more about you than me. I have always and continue to value your work, but my point, broken down to its most basic level, is the following:

Solely using BSR without some level of ridicule for puffed up BSTs allows you to hijack another persons stat spread, add a few points here and there, and supplant their effort when it comes time to vote. Only an individual users' sense of fairness stops them from bastardizing a 351 Overall Rating you worked hard to create the stats for by adding a few points here and there to make an objectively better spread within the selected parameters. If we had a non-concrete expectation of a limit you should not surpass BST-wise, preferably at levels with in-game support. It would require people to innovate on their own merit instead of hijacking someone elses.

What I have been arguing, consistently, is from the pragmatic standpoint of being as close to the spirit of pokemon as possible, and also saving DJD an avalanche of server complaints. As I said before, if you don't like my take on what is and is not creative or valid, you can tell me to go jump off a bridge. I understand perfectly what everything in your BSR calculator represents, which is precisely why I openly ridicule sprads that cannot cut off the fat and make something one might actually find in-game. That's my personal preference, obviously one that not many people share.

If you really do want to discuss the weaknesses, you already mentioned and know them, specifically that the calculator doesn't account for EVs. Blissey, who already hits Excellent on its own merits, bumps up to the Too Good category and about double Overall Rating with the 252 Defense EVs accounted for in the Base Defense Stat. (Physical Tankiness jumps from 65 to 138.) The calculator also doesn't account for type, ability, or movepool, two other factors that weigh heavily on OU vs. Uber placement, but there's never a practical or logical way to account for that.

To take the examples you gave me vis-a-vis HP/Defenses and use similar current pokemon, Hariyama and Dusknoir have basically the same defensive prowess. Hariyama gets more benefit from putting 124 into both its defenses, Dusknoir gets more benefit from putting 252 into HP. They get the same results with the same amount of EVs, except that Hariyama laughs at Night Shade and Dusknoir doesn't.

You and I both know that despite being only 10 better on the overall rating (it hits 336, which is still less effective than yours in raw numbers), my 132 Spe spread is much more effective than my 112 Spe spread, and my absurd 172 Spe spread basically means all would-be speed EVs are freed up for every other stat, much like a super-bulky Deoxys-S.

I'm not demanding we have some concreate rule or vote on a maximum BST in addition to a maximum BSR. What I am saying is that I have no qualms openly ridiculing inflated spreads. The more inflated a spread, the more likely it is to be overpowered in an optimization-centric environment. We're shooting for OU pokemon, not Ubers, and again, Doug has to deal with the consequences of every one of our decisions.

Solely using BSR without some level of ridicule for puffed up BSTs allows you to hijack another persons stat spread, add a few points here and there, and supplant their effort when it comes time to vote. Only an individual users' sense of fairness stops them from bastardizing a 351 Overall Rating you worked hard to create the stats for by adding a few points here and there to make an objectively better spread within the selected parameters. If we had a non-concrete expectation of a limit you should not surpass BST-wise, preferably at levels with in-game support. It would require people to innovate on their own merit instead of hijacking someone elses.
This didn't happen, and people like their own creations way too much to simply steal anyone else's and call it a day. Plus it would be blatantly obvious, since you have to explain your spread. And in the end, you wouldn't get any credit for it, because you simply took someone else's.

It requires people to meet some kind of maximum in order to prevent someone else "hijacking it and adding a few points here and there", too.

So if this is "your point, broken down to the most basic level", then lol.

The calculator also doesn't account for type, ability, or movepool, two other factors that weigh heavily on OU vs. Uber placement, but there's never a practical or logical way to account for that.
That is why it's about stats. And the same could be said about BST. Except BSR actually says something that matters, whereas BST doesn't.

BSR has a few weaknesses it doesn't show, but BST simply says nothing at all. It would only mean something if all stats were worth the same at whichever point (i.e. 10 base on top of a 110 base = 10 base on top of 20 base) but it doesn't.

My first post on this thread. I made a spread that i think would suit most utility pokes and somewhat suits it's typing in comparisin to MY chosen pokes.
base stats
hp-110
att-95
def-100
sp-100
spd-120

tennisace

You're quite a bit late y'know, the polls are well underway =/

As for the spread, this isn't RBY. Special Attack and Special Defense are separate. This looks broken even by D/P standards! That would equate to like an uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)