CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 13b - Name Poll 3

What should we call it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few people always have themselves a whinefest over every other poll or so. I sincerely doubt we'll get anything out of a "what's in a name?" thread.
When we decide the typing, stats and movepool of a CAP project, including any new moves, these always have some sort of direction, which is usually outlined in the concept. The name needs to have a sort of direction to it as well, although the only thing that can suggest a direction is the artwork and people's opinions of artwork can differ greatly. CAP7 is a perfect example of this: some people believe that it's fox-like, some believe it's wolf-like.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When we decide the typing, stats and movepool of a CAP project, including any new moves, these always have some sort of direction, which is usually outlined in the concept. The name needs to have a sort of direction to it as well, although the only thing that can suggest a direction is the artwork and people's opinions of artwork can differ greatly. CAP7 is a perfect example of this: some people believe that it's fox-like, some believe it's wolf-like.
Pokemon are Pokemon. It's like the GSC era "Legendary Beast" debacle. Only Raikou looks remotely biased enough towards a sabre-toothed tiger to be called a cat. Suicune and Entei have a bunch of conflicting features.

This particular creature happens to be masked, so you can at best glean pseudo-facial features out of the spikes on top.

Name also isn't a competitive feature. He who gets the most support should win, whether they submit something researched with deep meaning or Brick.

We should resolve from this point on to name CAP8 Brick. Then we can't argue about horrible names because the name is lowbrow enough not to offend anyone or cause their brain to feel pain from abstract thought.

Foxtrot is such a good name, though... :'(

I guess the Pokemon isn't whacky enough. Fidgit was the whacky equivalent to Foxtrot for Fidgit.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Typing, stats, and movepool have direction because they actually matter. In the Shoddy Team Builder, the typing, stats, and movepool are preset for each Pokemon. Name is something that you can change. You can nickname your Arghonaut 'JackSparrow', or maybe nickname your Syclant 'tennisace'. The name itself doesn't change the parts of the Pokemon that matter: the parts that go into a damage calculator and allow you to play the game. If you call a rose a 'basketball', it still has the same genetic structure as what other people call roses. If you change your 'basketball's' / rose's DNA structure so that it learns Levitate, it's obviously no longer a rose, no matter what you call it.

There is a reason why the art / name / sprite parts of CAP are run independently from the parts of CAP that matter.

Um, isn't it Romanized anyway?

Besides, I'm pretty sure Deck Knight explained the significance of the "h" (see OP).

On another note, I really do not understand the knee-jerk "Wapanese" bullshit (quite a large number of voters, not picking on kaonohiokala in particular). Yes, it references a foreign language, so what? Are we going to label names with Latin and Greek roots "Watin" and "Wreek" now? IMO, it's completely unjustified and downright racist.
I'd like to point out that 'noh' is a type of romanisation. The word is actually 'nō', which is romanised as nou. (Wapuuro system uses the kana spelling of the reading -- 能, which is read as のう.) In any case, the English name is always romanised, and it's really insignificant here, I think. It's not like we're going to duel over whether it's Kitsuno, Kitsunou, or Kitsunoo, is it? (The latter is extreeeeeeeeeeemely incorrect)

Name also isn't a competitive feature. He who gets the most support should win, whether they submit something researched with deep meaning or Brick.
Assuming that there is nothing in the rules stipulating that Brick would not be allowed even if it is a stupid idea given the pokemon that we would be working with at the time.

We should resolve from this point on to name CAP8 Brick. Then we can't argue about horrible names because the name is lowbrow enough not to offend anyone or cause their brain to feel pain from abstract thought.
If a stupidity rule for names does not exist, then I am actually going to support this motion.

If a stupidity rule for names does not exist, then I am actually going to support this motion.
lol, you might remember that the awesome names BOINKABOINK (plus) and GHOSTEEL (the venerable billymills) were excluded from the poll by the TL. i doubt cap8's TL is going to let us call it brick x)

lol, you might remember that the awesome names BOINKABOINK (plus) and GHOSTEEL (the venerable billymills) were excluded from the poll by the TL. i doubt cap8's TL is going to let us call it brick x)
Unless CAP8's TL is Deck Knight and he was being serious about his suggestion.

Anyway, since there does seem to be an element of a stupidity rule, I think we can safely assume that neither Kitsunoh nor Foxtrot is too stupid a name for CAP7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)