CAP 9 CAP 9 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kithonic

A play on the Greek word "χθόνιος" (chthonios), usually rendered "chthonic" or "kthonic." Literally, it means "on, under, or within the earth/soil" and referred to deities of the Underworld (as opposed to "Olympian" deities who were more associated with the sky/air). Chthonic gods were a little "darker" than their Olympian counterparts, and the proscribed method of worship for them involved nighttime animal sacrifices--possibly even human sacrifice. Persephone, Hecate, Dionysus, and Gaia all had chthonic cults. I figure this connection with darkness, night, and the deep places of the earth is a good explanation for CAP9's looks and behavior.

Normally I would have submitted just "Chthonic" or "Khthonic" but...given the failure of previous "correctly spelled" mythological things, I thought I'd simplify it. Besides, while I know there is no objective standard for how to make Pokémon, it's unlikely that Nintendo or GameFreak would create a pokémon that the average 12-year-old couldn't pronounce.

I'd love to hear suggestions. Perhaps changes of letters or spelling to make it look better?

((Final note: Since Cyzir won, does that mean we can have CAP9's, uh, slogan-ish-thing be "Free Drilly"? :P))

So far I counted three variations of the same name: Gnarwhirl, Narwhirl and Narrwall. Of the three, I greatly prefer Gnarwhirl because it rolls easily off the tongue, is a real no-brainer to understand, and looks really quaint as well.

how about Groundark (ground + dark)
it's sort of catchy and it's really simple
That doesn't have any life to it though =(

On the other hand, both Gnarwhirl and Colossoil are sounding pretty catchy right now. We don't need any foreign word based names either. They just don't sound..... english.

Landozer.

Subtle reference to GameFreak's Drill Dozer games. It rolls off the tongue nicely, it isn't complicated, there are no unnecessary silent letters or things used to pad it out, it is a nice portmanteau of Land and Dozer, and works even if you don't know about Drill Dozer (which, incidentally, was an excellent game, and well worth a play).

drale- stems from Drill and whale

Borewhal- bore and Narwhal

Narthquake- Narwhal+earthquake

Those are just a few i brain stormed

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: Just making sure, but he never did post it in a final submission. That means that he never really submitted it, although he did come up with the idea. Could I use it if this were the case? I can understand if I can't, and I am sorry about all the trouble this is causing.
We could both submit it as a collaborative entry if you would like, which I have no objections to, or, if you honestly want to use it just for yourself, then you're welcome to it, I guess, and I'll find something else.

How about,

Richterra
Pronounced (rick-terror)
Richter, coming from richter scale
and Terra, from the earth which can coincidentally be prounounced Terror.

or

Shadrill
Pronounced (shade-drill)
Shade, a dark sort of word with
Drill, representing the drills.

or

Grimmould

Pronounced (grim-mould) or (grime-mould)
Grim, dark sounding word again with
Mould, representing a early sort of mould.

Just throwing some ideas around.
Some feedback appreciated.

I'm looking at Sahradrill (Sa-ra-drill). Or Sahraspike (Sa-ra-spike). Both are a combination of Sahara (the desert) and Drill/Spike respectively. Most people are focusing on the Ground aspect over Dark (even though it's the main typing), so I'm also looking at Malevolance, basically Malevolence with the final e changed to an a to make it sound like lance. Thinking about it, I actually prefer that one... I'll have to make it less than 10 characters, though.

EDIT: For under 10 characters, I'm thinking about under Malvolance or Mlevolance

Alright, since I didn't have any criticism, my final submission is officially Bulklub.
I like this, then I could Bulklub a Sealeo. ;) j/k.
I also really like Narbrawl, Drilliathan, and Mobyss. But, I think I am going to stick with my final submission as: Narpitt.

I'm not entirely sure if anyone else made this point, but if you claim your name is a fusion of other words, borrowing one letter from a word does not make it a fusion. I made this point after seeing a name that claimed to be a fusion of something and "tectonics" but only had the "t" from "tectonics".

OK, I'm gonna throw one more name out there: Drillion (rhymes with million) - a reference to the several drills this thing has on its body.

Knarwhal.

Corruption of Narwhal, with a corruption of the word gnarly included. (and Objection, the -nar- in the name counts as both Knarly and Narwhal.)

Yeah, no earth reference, but Gyarados doesn't have a reference to water in its name. It does seem to have the badass of the Dark-type, however.

Rizsheen: A corruption CyzirVisheen.
This is the third time that one of Cyzir's designs has won an art poll. He's been contributing since the beginning of CAP, and even served as Assistant Topic Leader for CAP 8, so I figured that it would be cool to throw in an homage to him in the name ala Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to throw out Haetusk.

The root words are hate and dusk (which help to imply it's Dark typing) and tusk (referring to it's horns). Additionally, the word is phonetically similar to Hades, the Greek god of the underworld.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like Mantyke's Scarwhal -- but I think it should have an "e" on the end, just to give it more of a twist from Narwhal. I think Scarwhale, looks better, IMO.

I also like Colossoil (I don't remember who submitted it).

A lot of these have been repititious but I'm going to stick with:

Final Submission: Terrawhal

Terra (Earth, also synonomous with Terror) + Whal (Whale, or narwhal)

-Terywj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)