Favourite Fanwork Buff?

I was also able to find Fire/Steel/Rock and Poison/Grass/Ground.
The problem with both of those triangles is that different types have different interactions with themselves. For the Grass/Fire/Water they all resist themselves and for Rock/Flying/Fighting they are all neutral to themselves. Fire, Steel, Poison, and Grass resist themselves but Rock and Ground are neutral to themselves.

One of the most intriguing changes done by a few Pokemon fangame mods is a complete rework to the Stall ability, and it's...certainly an interesting one. Instead of its current useless detrimental effect, the pokemon with its ability now quite literally stalls for time instead, forcefully causing an empty turn in the battle, every other turn (this stacks in double battles/if multiple mons with the ability are present on the field). During this empty turn, no combatants may take any action; the only things that occur are end-of-turn effects.

While this seems pretty simple at first, the ramifications only become more and more terrifying the more you think about it; it's a free turn of leftovers/poison heal/leech seed etc recovery, an additional turn of passive damage from weather, leech seed, status, etc, an additional turn in which the toxic damage counter increases, an additional turn that decreases the duration of field effects (weather, terrain, trick room, tailwind etc) as well as other detrimental moves (taunt, encore, disable etc), and even essentially allows wish recovery to be applied at once/future sight to land at the end of the next turn, and hell, it even skips hyper beam's recharge turn, and even truant's useless turn (it does NOT do anything about confusion/sleep/freeze/gigaton hammer though, as the pokemon needs to take an action to decrease their counter). And there's nothing ANY pokemon on the field can do about this; the empty turn is applied every other turn, which can make the presence of passive sources of damage that you'd normally shrug off for like, 2-3 more turns a significantly more daunting prospect to weather.

....Makes you glad the ability's only stuck on one mon all of a sudden, huh? After all, it would be very easy for a mon with the right tools to break this ability completely, especially in tandem with protect....One could even argue that it would still be insane even if the ability still had its old detrimental effect....

I'm curious as to people's thoughts on fangames dropping the FWG triangle for starters. Personally, the standard types feel like they are chosen to have matchups between them that are intuitive to a new player, and as a result don't really need to exist in that form when making something that you only expect to be played by more serious fans.
i think it's really cool and tbh i wish it was done more often. a lot of fan projects from my experience will just give you a pick from random set of starters (or at times even just all of them) and i wish people experimented mroe with alternative starting pkmn. i can understand the hesitancy tho since starters are so popular as well as being perfectly suited for the progression of a solo playthrough.

for the thread's subject, i believe the hack eternal x/wilting y gave wigglytuff some stat buffs on top of moonblast and fur coat. i recall it being a bit too passive and weak for an in-game run but it was still pretty cool and fun to use something that's usually a nothing mon to decent effect.

Inclement Emerald has a lot of changes, one of which I think is a bit too powerful but at least interesting.

The first, which I quite like, is Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent/Swarm (and a new ability, Vengeance, which is this but for Ghost types) always provide a 20% boost to their respective damage types, which increases to 50% at lower health. Is it a bit powerful? Yeah, but at least it's consistently useful rather than the relative obscurity these abilities are generally forced into.

The second, which is the interesting but probably too powerful one, is that there's a scientist in the game world that can revert Eevee to its base form while keeping all of the evolution's moves. This gives the Eeveelutions an incredible amount of variety. Want Fire Blast on Glaceon? You got it! Flare Blitz Leafeon? It's a go! Thunderbolt Espeon? Why the heck not? Like I said, powerful, but at least interesting and something different.

I'm curious as to people's thoughts on fangames dropping the FWG triangle for starters. Personally, the standard types feel like they are chosen to have matchups between them that are intuitive to a new player, and as a result don't really need to exist in that form when making something that you only expect to be played by more serious fans.
Made this post in another thread but it fits here too:
Honestly it’d be hilarious if all the starters got a second typing that was super-effective against the starter each one was normally weak to; something like Grass/Ground, Fire/Electric, and Water/Ice. Granted, they all ought to start out mono-type so as to not throw players straight into the chaos.

Honestly it’d be hilarious if all the starters got a second typing that was super-effective against the starter each one was normally weak to; something like Grass/Ground, Fire/Electric, and Water/Ice. Granted, they all ought to start out mono-type so as to not throw players straight into the chaos.
:dp/Torterra: :dp/Infernape: :dp/Empoleon:
That's sorta the Sinnoh Trio's claim to fame. Torterra gets Earthquake, Infernape gets Close Combat, and Empoleon's Ice type moves hit for 4x effectiveness.

It’s an interesting idea, but not one I’ve experienced often enough to form an opinion on other than it being a neat idea but can only work in a fan game.
Like you said, it could only work with an older, veteran crowd because of its fan game status. GFW works the best for a reason because there’s just no other type combo, outside of Rock/Flying/Fighting, where one type is super effective/not very effective in one direction or the other.
Poison/Grass/Ground.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
:dp/Torterra: :dp/Infernape: :dp/Empoleon:
That's sorta the Sinnoh Trio's claim to fame. Torterra gets Earthquake, Infernape gets Close Combat, and Empoleon's Ice type moves hit for 4x effectiveness.
I understand what the developers were going for here, but I really, really hate this crap. In theory, giving them all secondary types to even out the balance is a great idea, but all Empoleon's Steel-Type really does in practice is further decrease the parity between these three Pokémon. SInce Infernape is the speedy one of this trio and has decent attacking stats on both sides as opposed to Torterra's Attack and Empoleon's Special Attack, in a 1-on-1-on-1 scenario, Infernape can just use special Fire-Type moves on Torterra and physical FIghting-Type moves on Empoleon, so both tergets can he hit on their weaker defensive stat. Meanwhile all Empoleon can do is use a non-STAB move on Torterra on account of Torterra being even slower than Empoleon is. Torterra, meanwhile, gets screwed over by both Infernape's aforementioned Fire-Type attacks and 4x Ice Beam from Empoleon.

The whole point of the starter Pokémon triangle is for them to be beginner-friendly and balanced. Last I checked, Infernape is only the first option in this group.

I like the Sinnoh starters (obviously), and while Infernape is probably my least favourite, I don't begrudge it its advantages over the other two in battle. Honestly, I think the fact that they're unbalanced kinda proves that the devs weren't especially worried about preserving, inverting, or neutralising the standard type triangle when they chose their secondary types. They're just three independently great designs!

(I do wonder if Flint's Infernape's DPPt moveset was intended to be less devastating to a player's Empoleon though, like all of its moves will deal a lot of damage, but none of them can wipe an Empoleon out the way a Close Combat would)

I understand what the developers were going for here, but I really, really hate this crap. In theory, giving them all secondary types to even out the balance is a great idea, but all Empoleon's Steel-Type really does in practice is further decrease the parity between these three Pokémon. SInce Infernape is the speedy one of this trio and has decent attacking stats on both sides as opposed to Torterra's Attack and Empoleon's Special Attack, in a 1-on-1-on-1 scenario, Infernape can just use special Fire-Type moves on Torterra and physical FIghting-Type moves on Empoleon, so both tergets can he hit on their weaker defensive stat. Meanwhile all Empoleon can do is use a non-STAB move on Torterra on account of Torterra being even slower than Empoleon is. Torterra, meanwhile, gets screwed over by both Infernape's aforementioned Fire-Type attacks and 4x Ice Beam from Empoleon.

The whole point of the starter Pokémon triangle is for them to be beginner-friendly and balanced. Last I checked, Infernape is only the first option in this group.
Guess which one has the highest Base Stat Total

Infernape at 534, Empoleon at 530 and then Torterra at 525

Yes, they gave the one with the worst matchup against the other two the lowest BST :changry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)