Project Gen8 National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition

Tyranitar's fall from grace is no stranger to many people. Its once omnipresent power and control over the tiers it used to dominate has come to an end. It is no longer sweeping teams with dragon dance easily nor is it pursuit trapping on the scale it once did. Until today. We present to you: Ol' faithful. The WEAKNESS POLICY DRAGON DANCE TYRANITAR.

:sm/tyranitar: :sm/tapu_koko: :sm/landorus-therian: :sm/volcarona: :sm/gyarados-mega: :sm/alakazam:
Weakness Policy Dragon Dance Tyranitar HO.
https://pokepast.es/a587f4a0b4fcc27f
by smg and averagetoxapexlover

:tyranitar:
The star of the show, Tyranitar finds its place on this team as a phenomenal screens abuser that leverages its amazing natural bulk to safely set up behind screens. The coverage here is given to hit most of OU’s metagame for at worst neutral damage with Stone Edge. Tyranitar’s amazing bulk allowed us to play around a lot with EV spreads, but the spread here has its reasons. Attack investment is just enough to OHKO Mega Mawile at +2 with Fire Punch (+2 252 Atk Tyranitar Fire Punch vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 276-326 (102.2 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and the defensive investment is done to eat Greninja’s Choice Specs once. (252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 16 HP / 60 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 288-342 (83.4 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Tyranitar can be surprisingly threatening, but its poor speed is among its most debilitating factors, which is why screens added bulk helps alleviate Tyranitar’s issues and let it properly shine. It’s important that Tyranitar should be played very carefully, as if it sustains any amount of chip whatsoever its functionality declines. This is negligible if Tyranitar has a poor matchup, in which case it’s fine for it to trade one for one. Versus Rain or Sun, however, you should play it aggressively to disrupt the weather’s ability to sweep as effectively as possible.

:tapu_koko:
With the need for screens comes a need for a setter, and Koko fills this niche perfectly. Debatably, the tier’s best screen setter, Koko uses its amazing speed tier, access to Taunt and U-Turn to enable unimpeded. There’s not a lot to say, really, it’s just your ordinary HO enabler.

:landorus-therian:
HO loves hazards, and what’s better than tier staple turned into a lead? Landorus-Therian uses its sky high attack stat and access to Swords Dance to force hazards onto the field. Ferrothorn, opposing Landorus, Corviknight, Zapdos, etc, they all cannot comfortably play their part in the hazard war without being threatened by Lando. It’s good to play Lando proactively, you want to maximize the most out of its value defensively and offensively, as it’s your only ground type, and Landorus can still be very threatening to slower teamcomps as opposed to the one for one trader it is into faster paced teams.

:volcarona:
The MU moth finds its place on this team with ease. HO staple, this version of Moth servers primarily to aim well into Balances and some Offences that might otherwise give this team some issues. Play it carefully: a lot of the times Volcarona is your wincon into teams, so conditioning it to win is going to more often than not be your goal. This mon also seriously enjoys Reflect, as it eases its issues regarding lackluster physical defense and lets it QD more freely. Pokemon you should be aiming to weaken for this vermin to win are answers like Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, Dragonite, and Greninja.

:gyarados-mega:
Another fantastic screens abuser, Gyarados is here to function as a good breaker, with its attacks being effective at forcing chip damage against defensive Pokemon to enable them, while also being a defensive stopgap against Greninja. Gyarados is more often than not going to be the first Pokemon you’re going to send out once screens are up, as its immense bulk behind screens allows it safe set-up opportunities to let it wear down teams for its teammates to break with more ease. Power Whip is here because this team is incredibly weak to Urshifu, but this also has the benefit of cleanly OHKOing Tapu Fini. If Urshfiu isn’t a concern, Taunt or Waterfall could be used instead.

:alakazam:
Now, the featured Pokemon of the week tends to be the shitmon, but in this case Tyranitar has actually been surprisingly consistent. Instead, the shitmon is Alakazam! Pretending as if it’s on a sand team in BW, Alakazam sucks. It’s way frail, not fast enough, and gets outpaced very easily. That’s okay though, because Alakazam will usually not be doing much against offence, it instead specializes in stallbreaking. Stall has no real reliable answer to Fairium Z Alakazam bar Shedinja- but that’s okay because nobody uses that! With this set, Stall is easy to break, as Twinkle Tackle lacerates Mega Sableye and Alakazam can easily brute force its way through Chansey or Blissey. Just get up screens and watch your dopamine spike as every one of stall’s members breaks. It won’t usually clean on its own, just open up a hole usually big enough for something else to break. Against offence, Alakazam is usually not doing much, so if it’s to get momentum in your favor, don’t be afraid to sack Alakazam.

we do have some replays to show off the team’s effectiveness, this week’s victims are Miyoko and Adriyun! fortunately Hiro was spared as we lost the replay we had vs him… :(

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2087215641-xr94cy1pmdx880w2ia8n69gjiv8r8xhpw vs Adriyun

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2086853336-j8bjhw0rkaxtq207d86xc7deesavumgpw vs Miyoko

was pretty fun doing this even if the team is honestly dogshit as all hell, s/o to averagetoxapexlover and the other people who let us test vs them.

Voting is now LIVE! Vote for your favorite Tyranitar team by Wednesday, April 3rd at 11:59 PM GMT-6.

Team A: Ttar Offense by eona misa

1711336431926.png1711336475342.png1711336526425.png1711336578404.png1711336988440.png1711337036344.png
offense team centered around using ttar's insane bulk to make trades and spam pursuit for the offensive threats on the team.​

:tyranitar-mega:
the featured mon and enabler for the team. pursuits the big special walls for volcarona and lele, zapdos and latias for kartana, and other threats to the team like choice locked greninja or weavile. ice punch is so useful to hit gliscor which is super scary with sd.

:KARTANA:
sd kart is so good at punching holes in the opposing team, especially with its main checks being vulnerable to pursuit. it also enjoys setting up or spamming knock off on waters or steels that its teammates tend to attract.

:VOLCARONA:
volc has solid defensive utility making it easier to deal with stuff like kyurem or rillaboom. as always, it is an amazing wincon that can easily clean up with its checks removed via pursuit.

:rotom-wash:
fantastic utility mon that helps greatly with rain and greninja. dual status allows you to annoy everything that switches in, and pain split gives the team some longevity.

classic defensive set, helping the team vs electrics and fightings. explosion is used over toxic to slam gliscor and other bulky mons with unexpected immediate damage, as well as gain momentum.

:tapu-lele:
just an incredible scarfer that also happens to love pursuit. volcarona loves terrain boosting its psychics and protecting it from priority, and ttar likes being immune to bullet punch. future sight is the last move to give the team even more breaking power while being a decent midground option.
Team B: Choice Band Tyranitar by Xurkiyee
Ttar is the GOAT of competitive pokemon. Even in the 8th generation it remains one of the hardest hitters in the game, especially with choice band (the focus of the team).

CB tyranitar good stuffs
:ss/victini: :ss/tapu fini: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/lopunny-mega: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/landorus-therian:

:victini:
Provides great speed control and a stops mons like scizor, volcarona, and tapu lele from getting too far. Final gambit can remove mons like toxapex, slowbro, and zapdos at the drop of a hat, working very well with lopunny.

:tapu fini:
Ol reliable hazard removal, status blocking, hit taking machine.

The GOAT. Hits really hard, and can make its way in on a psychic, fire, flyer, or chansey from the 3 u-turns on the team. After that it goes to town.

:lopunny-mega:
Speed control and clean up after ttar wipes the floor of the defensive pokes. Good insurance against HO and weather.

:ferrothorn:
Designated spikes setter and prevents an autoloss to rain. Leech seed is great for increasing the longevity of your fini, ttar, and vic as well.

Modern goat. Sets up rocks and snipes zapdos out of the air with a big rock.

The description is very short and basic, but that's because the team is very intuitive to use and there is no high brained tech to explain. Hope anyone using this team has as much fun as I did.
Team C: Weakness Policy Tyranitar by smg (notfunny)
Tyranitar's fall from grace is no stranger to many people. Its once omnipresent power and control over the tiers it used to dominate has come to an end. It is no longer sweeping teams with dragon dance easily nor is it pursuit trapping on the scale it once did. Until today. We present to you: Ol' faithful. The WEAKNESS POLICY DRAGON DANCE TYRANITAR.

:sm/tyranitar: :sm/tapu_koko: :sm/landorus-therian: :sm/volcarona: :sm/gyarados-mega: :sm/alakazam:
Weakness Policy Dragon Dance Tyranitar HO.
https://pokepast.es/a587f4a0b4fcc27f
by smg and averagetoxapexlover

The star of the show, Tyranitar finds its place on this team as a phenomenal screens abuser that leverages its amazing natural bulk to safely set up behind screens. The coverage here is given to hit most of OU’s metagame for at worst neutral damage with Stone Edge. Tyranitar’s amazing bulk allowed us to play around a lot with EV spreads, but the spread here has its reasons. Attack investment is just enough to OHKO Mega Mawile at +2 with Fire Punch (+2 252 Atk Tyranitar Fire Punch vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 276-326 (102.2 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and the defensive investment is done to eat Greninja’s Choice Specs once. (252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 16 HP / 60 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 288-342 (83.4 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Tyranitar can be surprisingly threatening, but its poor speed is among its most debilitating factors, which is why screens added bulk helps alleviate Tyranitar’s issues and let it properly shine. It’s important that Tyranitar should be played very carefully, as if it sustains any amount of chip whatsoever its functionality declines. This is negligible if Tyranitar has a poor matchup, in which case it’s fine for it to trade one for one. Versus Rain or Sun, however, you should play it aggressively to disrupt the weather’s ability to sweep as effectively as possible.

:tapu_koko:
With the need for screens comes a need for a setter, and Koko fills this niche perfectly. Debatably, the tier’s best screen setter, Koko uses its amazing speed tier, access to Taunt and U-Turn to enable unimpeded. There’s not a lot to say, really, it’s just your ordinary HO enabler.

HO loves hazards, and what’s better than tier staple turned into a lead? Landorus-Therian uses its sky high attack stat and access to Swords Dance to force hazards onto the field. Ferrothorn, opposing Landorus, Corviknight, Zapdos, etc, they all cannot comfortably play their part in the hazard war without being threatened by Lando. It’s good to play Lando proactively, you want to maximize the most out of its value defensively and offensively, as it’s your only ground type, and Landorus can still be very threatening to slower teamcomps as opposed to the one for one trader it is into faster paced teams.

:volcarona:
The MU moth finds its place on this team with ease. HO staple, this version of Moth servers primarily to aim well into Balances and some Offences that might otherwise give this team some issues. Play it carefully: a lot of the times Volcarona is your wincon into teams, so conditioning it to win is going to more often than not be your goal. This mon also seriously enjoys Reflect, as it eases its issues regarding lackluster physical defense and lets it QD more freely. Pokemon you should be aiming to weaken for this vermin to win are answers like Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, Dragonite, and Greninja.

:gyarados-mega:
Another fantastic screens abuser, Gyarados is here to function as a good breaker, with its attacks being effective at forcing chip damage against defensive Pokemon to enable them, while also being a defensive stopgap against Greninja. Gyarados is more often than not going to be the first Pokemon you’re going to send out once screens are up, as its immense bulk behind screens allows it safe set-up opportunities to let it wear down teams for its teammates to break with more ease. Power Whip is here because this team is incredibly weak to Urshifu, but this also has the benefit of cleanly OHKOing Tapu Fini. If Urshfiu isn’t a concern, Taunt or Waterfall could be used instead.

:alakazam:
Now, the featured Pokemon of the week tends to be the shitmon, but in this case Tyranitar has actually been surprisingly consistent. Instead, the shitmon is Alakazam! Pretending as if it’s on a sand team in BW, Alakazam sucks. It’s way frail, not fast enough, and gets outpaced very easily. That’s okay though, because Alakazam will usually not be doing much against offence, it instead specializes in stallbreaking. Stall has no real reliable answer to Fairium Z Alakazam bar Shedinja- but that’s okay because nobody uses that! With this set, Stall is easy to break, as Twinkle Tackle lacerates Mega Sableye and Alakazam can easily brute force its way through Chansey or Blissey. Just get up screens and watch your dopamine spike as every one of stall’s members breaks. It won’t usually clean on its own, just open up a hole usually big enough for something else to break. Against offence, Alakazam is usually not doing much, so if it’s to get momentum in your favor, don’t be afraid to sack Alakazam.

we do have some replays to show off the team’s effectiveness, this week’s victims are Miyoko and Adriyun! fortunately Hiro was spared as we lost the replay we had vs him… :(

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2087215641-xr94cy1pmdx880w2ia8n69gjiv8r8xhpw vs Adriyun

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2086853336-j8bjhw0rkaxtq207d86xc7deesavumgpw vs Miyoko

was pretty fun doing this even if the team is honestly dogshit as all hell, s/o to averagetoxapexlover and the other people who let us test vs them.

Congratulations Xurkiyee for winning cycle 9 of the Teambuilding Competition!
Ttar is the GOAT of competitive pokemon. Even in the 8th generation it remains one of the hardest hitters in the game, especially with choice band (the focus of the team).

CB tyranitar good stuffs
:ss/victini: :ss/tapu fini: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/lopunny-mega: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/landorus-therian:

:victini:
Provides great speed control and a stops mons like scizor, volcarona, and tapu lele from getting too far. Final gambit can remove mons like toxapex, slowbro, and zapdos at the drop of a hat, working very well with lopunny.

:tapu fini:
Ol reliable hazard removal, status blocking, hit taking machine.

The GOAT. Hits really hard, and can make its way in on a psychic, fire, flyer, or chansey from the 3 u-turns on the team. After that it goes to town.

:lopunny-mega:
Speed control and clean up after ttar wipes the floor of the defensive pokes. Good insurance against HO and weather.

Designated spikes setter and prevents an autoloss to rain. Leech seed is great for increasing the longevity of your fini, ttar, and vic as well.

Modern goat. Sets up rocks and snipes zapdos out of the air with a big rock.

The description is very short and basic, but that's because the team is very intuitive to use and there is no high brained tech to explain. Hope anyone using this team has as much fun as I did.
:ss/volcarona:
Our next featured mon is Volcarona! I remember back in my first BW playthrough I found this Pokémon inside those ruins in the route with sandstorm. With Volcarona being such a competitive powerhouse having access to quiver dance + high raw stats and a wide movepool, I'm curious to see what sets people will bring to this Competition!

Submissions end on Monday, April 8th @ 11:59 AM GMT -6.

For this week I decided to build around an old ass SM OU core to make things more interesting for myself. M-Diancie + Bug Z Bulkarona. So without further delay, I present to you....
diancie-mega.gif:ss/volcarona::ss/tapu koko::ss/gliscor::ss/rotom-wash::ss/ferrothorn:(Importable)
Sleep Deprived - Volcarona Bulky Offense
Team name is inspired by me not sleeping for over 24 hours while making this team and post.

Explanations:
:diancie-mega::volcarona:
So obviously the core of M-Diancie and Bug Z Volc is pretty self explanatory. Diancie keeps hazards away from Volcarona, allowing it to thrive. There's not much else to explain here.

:tapu-koko:
For some reason my brain told me to add an electric type pivot mon here, so I ended up adding Tapu Koko. Originally, this slot had Regieleki, but I noticed that my team was a little bit weak to Landorus since I had no consistent way to widdle it down other than hazards + status. In the end I ended up changing it to Koko for HP Ice coverage. Zeraora might be able to work here too, but I preferred Koko cus of its longevitiy with roost as well as its utility of being a terrain setter.

:gliscor:
Here I noticed that my team was entirely specially oriented so far, meaning all it took was 1 good special wall to wall me. I decided to add SD Gliscor here due to it being immune to status conditions like burn after the orb procs. Gliscor also provides good utility against Volt Switchers on this team too, since its the only electric immunity. It's natural bulk is just great on this type of team as well.

:rotom-wash:
Originally, Slowbro was in this spot, but I decided against using it because I wanted something that could get rid of hazards for me as well. I considered Tapu Fini here, but in the end I valued Rotom's volt switch very highly on this team since the only other pivot move was Koko's u-turn. It also just happens to check a decent amount of threats that I needed to check.

I wanted spikes, another wall, and it's typing is good for me here. Plus, thunder wave is good speed control for this team

Edit: I forgot to post replays of Volcarona carrying me even though I was playing like shit
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2099125834-hfpg2urkkhp85ectj3sscnmq7ys4riepw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-2099127683-hnsjks51o3ccaiaxj2s3u9fraujvg62pw

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)