HEY WHAT'S GOING ON OH MY GOD (introduction to a forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I've got high hopes! Honestly, this forum can only do poorly if people continually harbor negative ideas and opinions, don't try to make it a better place and instead just resign themselves to "it's hopeless, let's just try not to post too badly."

Can you seriously explain any positive that will come of this? I don't understand what problems this change will solve.
people just need to lead by example, and examples of how not to act will be dealt with even swifter than before, I imagine.

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
as amusing as this has been, i want to reiterate that while direct concise feedback is fine here i guess (eg "this was a cool/interesting idea! and also alex is really cool!"), the reason this thread is not locked is for people to ask questions. about this forum and the transition. if you are doing neither, you probably shouldn't post in this thread anymore. i don't feel like reading through ten nonsense posts for every legitimate question and i'm guessing the other mods don't either sooooooo

Can we keep this thread alive as a random bullshitting thread/question thread/whatever isn't appropriate to make a separate thread for? Either that or make a new one, I guess...It's been a ton of fun and might help everyone feel each other out (including mods) as to what is what in this new forum. It also may keep a smidge of firebot flame alive in an otherwise more "free discussion" driven forum.

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
zorbees - your question's been asked and answered already in this very thread so maybe give it a read through

wickdaggler - 1) the ones that are stickied right now 2) ...

morm - we have plans to make something like that soon but as long as this is new and people have questions i want this specific thread to stay on topic

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what, if any, threads do you think should be stickied?
e: would you be willing to move any threads from firebot/ cong?
Threads have already moved here. If it was not, it's because it's an old topic. If people have old discussion threads they need to revive, they can create them again but if it was a recent topic there's probably a reason it wasn't moved!

Stickies are for important threads that won't be on the front page purely out of activity (Rules for example). Stickies are usually a good way to make sure a thread gets no traffic really. Most people who use forums are conditioned to just look at stickies as a space that's not there.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Got a question alex; is your custom title any reference to snaples?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
"yes and no"

I'll point towards the inclusion of what threads from IR were chosen to carry over (2011 Music, Now Playing, Realm, etc.) versus what wasn't (Music Embarassments) to see what is generally considered an "acceptable" post on music and entertainment. That is to say, those posts that encourage discussion but not flamewars will be encouraged, but those whose purpose is principally negative will not.

alex

the best stuff on earth
i didn't handle the IR moves but in general only threads we at least could mostly approve of overall were brought over - there's certainly nothing wrong with a metal thread in theory but if it didn't make the cut then the content was probably lacking. feel free to make another one if you think you can do a good job of it

Uh, you didn't move this over, but could I start up the 2010 list topic again? I wasn't exactly done with that.

Plus, I was using some of the lists in there.

Unless you still have it and could salvage it.

Question - Why kill Firebot, Congregation and the other one, that I forgot in this time of of this post, since I am so lazy to check again.

I personally don't like this, since I like it separated so people KNOW that the degree of behavior should be in the post, for an example Congregation.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the list thread is still in Thread Cryonics. Like alex, I wasn't around for the IR thread moves and that thread will be moved over. We are all eager to see your Village Voice approved Top 10 List!

re ChaosNebula:
I'm actually kind of hopeful about this. With Cong you had a lot of discussion, which was daunting and ultimately inaccessible to those of us who didn't want to have to write an essay to respond to a topic. With Firebot you had almost no discussion, just constant flames. a forum sounds like an attempt to find the happy medium. So that's cool. Progress is good, right?

We are all eager to see your Village Voice approved Top 10 List!
Thanks, man. >_> Just something I sort of still wanted to be able to share.

(for the record i've used the same exact phrase to make fun of myself, i'm not delusional)

Oh, also, thanks for the heads up about Cryonics.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lots of people are still asking about the name despite firestorm's post, so i thought a little background would help

with regard to a name, the idea of a rotating name was proposed (we already edit the youtube thread title enough), which led to this:

[00:53:23] <+alex> i think the format for names i would want is
[00:53:29] <+Firestorm> you know
[00:53:33] <+Firestorm> that's not that bad a suggestion
[00:53:37] <@Hipmonlee> latent is ok
[00:53:40] <+alex> "[short 'real' name]: revolving joke name"
[00:53:54] <+az> what kind of short real name did you have in mind
[00:53:59] <+alex> dunno
[00:54:03] <+alex> some kind of spin on "offtopic" maybe
[00:54:04] <+m0nkfish> kingdom of fun
[00:54:09] <@davidstone> "General Discussions" or "Off topic"
[00:54:11] <+alex> no
[00:54:13] <+alex> thats mad boring
[00:54:16] <+m0nkfish> no nothing dull
[00:54:16] <+Articuno64> Smogonopolis
[00:54:19] <+m0nkfish> lol
[00:54:25] * +Setsuna (Mibbit@synIRC-3DBEA94.dyn.user.ono.com) Quit (NickServ (GHOST command used by Arlo))
[00:54:26] <+m0nkfish> i like that
[00:54:27] <+m0nkfish> smogtopia
[00:54:29] <+az> A Forum: Presented To You By How Gay Monkfish Is
[00:54:32] <+az> we do this and keep it perm
[00:54:34] <+m0nkfish> hahahahaha
[00:54:35] <+Firestorm> Nats 211. In Smogy
[00:54:36] <+badass> Smogonopolis is awesome
[00:54:41] <+m0nkfish> A Forum is pretty good
[00:54:41] * +panamaxis (~pan@max.is) Quit (Quit: )
[00:54:44] <+Firestorm> 2011 even
[00:54:46] <+Articuno64> lol
[00:54:47] <+alex> i like a forum
[00:54:47] <+m0nkfish> ok post these suggestions in the thread
[00:54:54] <+cookie> a forum is excellent
[00:55:06] <+cookie> it's very smogon
[00:55:13] <+az> and you can do anything you like with the next part

so that's my suggestion!!

anything following "A Forum:" can be witty, can be topical, an inside joke, etc etc
personally i think it would be a lot of fun and it has promise, but there you go

also whilst obv i have a phobia of capitals i completely understand if people want it capitalised so things look regular on the index

ON THE OTHER HAND maybe it is cool that it is quirky?

not capitalizing the forum name would scare off the significant ocd population of smogon

i am definitely in favour of capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)