ORAS OU M - Latias/ Ches Offense

Welcome to 2nd period with Maestro DeSWAG
(My second RMT)
I usually like to come up with a clever name for my teams, but I got nothing this time...

So, to preface this, I'd like to state right off the bat that I'm an offense player, and this team could almost pass as a balance team (well, not anymore, but it was at first), specifically the core. However, it definitely plays somewhat aggressively. I really just made this team for kicks cause I was bored.

So, here's how I came about constructing this team; I decided to take a more offensive approach to the ches/mega Latias core, since both those mons are pretty swaggin. I decided to run the classic CM/Roost/StoredPower/DragonPulse set for Latias, but with max speed and a timid nature to maximize sweeping potential.

The ORAS good cores has a cobalion/ mega Latias core that I really liked, so I decided to include it as well to further support latias. It worked surprisingly well- it took out bisharp, laid rocks, spread paralysis, and created momentum. In the end tho, I ditched it for Empoleon, as I really liked the ability to lay and remove hazards with one mon. Also, I wanted another water resist.

Next I added two more mons that I have played around with on multiple teams, Victini and Celebi. These two make up basically two thirds of a FWG secondary core. The two support each other really well, Celebi lures and destroys Bisharp, creates momentum with baton pass, and passes subs to Victini, allowing it to fire off multiple V-creates w/o fear of the stat drop. The two resist multiple of each other's weaknesses, so this is pretty easy. Then Vic sweeps whole teams with V-create spam. Honestly, it's purpose is to break walls, but if I can sweep w/ it too, well, that's just dandy. It can also lure lando and gligar,and ko them both (after rocks) and deal serious damage to Dnite. It also lowers speed to open up for another mon to sweep. Sub also protects from getting pursuit trapped as you U-turn.

Honestly, the last spot is just a filler- there was something else, but it got deleted at some point, and I don't remember what it was exactly. It was Gyarados at one point, but I changed it for some reason. So, I decided, hey, keldeo is fun! So I threw it on there just to finish the team so I could make my RMT. But then someone on here suggested scarftar, because the team is pretty gengar weak. So I replaced it, and it's worked much better.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Dragon Pulse

Latias is the most, uh, reliable win con on the team. Obviously, you need threats like Bisharp out of the way, but if you can handle them, it's basically over. EVs are to maximize physical bulk and speed, as it already has 331 SpA and 336 SpD. After some calm minds, this will sting. Even unaware clefable isn't entirely safe if you can get some boosts before it can come in since the increase in stored power is not ignored.

Chesnaught (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head / Stone Edge / Seed Bomb

Chesnaught is so much fun to play, especially since people usually expect a stall set. All of the sudden they find themselves being swept by a Chesnaught, and there is nothing they can do. For comparison, here's how it compares to bellyjet azu:

(Actually, I can't copy the calcs on mobile, so I'ma do this the white trash way)

Vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarm

Ches' drain punch at +6 does 72.1-83.5%

Azu's Aqua jet at +6 does 53.8-63.7%

Thing is, after the salac boost, Ches outspeeds base 120's, so priority isn't as important. Then you proceed to heal of damage with drain punch. Obviously, get rid of birdspam, that'll kill you. Especially TF. And hazards wear Chesnaught down pretty easily, so try to keep them away. Ches takes some support, but if you can get the sweep going, it's kinda like hitting the sweet spot with Luigi's shurukin. It's so beyond satisfying. Oh yeah, and the last slot is basically up to your discretion.

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Glaciate
- V-create
- Bolt Strike

I mentioned this already in the teambuilding process, but Victini is just incredible. If you can pass it a sub, you can just sweep half the opponent's team with V-create. The real point of it though is to break down walls, sweeping is just a nice added bonus. It lures things that would threaten it otherwise and smacks them with glaciate, lowering speed to open up for a sweep, or just letting Victini finish them off with Bolt Strike so you can wait to lower your stats with V-create to prolong your Victini sweep.

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Celebi is great because it can lure Bisharp, put up a sub to bypass sucker punch, or scout for knock off so you can more easily predict bisharps next move by faking baton pass, then smacking the fool with an earth power. This stops bisharp from touching you at all, and it's really kinda funny. It works with heatran, too. The FWG typing makes it really easy to pass a sub to Victini or Keldeo and let them wreak havoc, too.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Defog

I shamelessly stole this set from PaulGilbert's subflail Pinsir team. It is so good at controlling the goingson of the battle, hazing out foes, controlling hazards, and spreading scald burns. It's funny, torrent is often forgotten, but it gives scald so much power at lower HP, and a lot of strong physical foes will put it right in that range, then they find themselves seriously hurt by your scald. Likely burned as well. The EVs let you survive the ohko from most SE physical attacks, and survive as much as possible on the special side too. Excadrill won't be wanting to switch in and spin on a whim, for fear of getting smacked with scald and rendered useless for the remainder of the battle. Empoleons nice typing gives it a 4x resist against ice and steel, normal resist against water, rock, normal, dragon, bug, flying, fairy, and psychic. This gives it many opurtunities to switch in and manipulate the battle to your liking.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Pursuit
Crunch

Scarftar helps to mitigate the gengar weakness of this team overall. It's an obvious switch in, so trying to use it w/o catching the switch and switching in on the same turn or just revenge killing is never very smart. It'll usually kill you w/ focus miss, or cripple you w/ WoW. Its really annoying to the whole team unless it's packing sludge bomb over sludge wave.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Dragon Pulse

Chesnaught (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Glaciate
- V-create
- Bolt Strike

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Pursuit
Crunch

Also I'm on mobile, something's probably messed up, sorry.​

Last edited:
I see you use Empoleon. I salute you.

Anyways, I have never actually done any ratings before, but I can try.

The team seems very weak to talonflame and gengar. Shadow ball can hit your whole team for loads of damage and priority brave bird completely stops celebi and chesnaught, as well as hiting latias hard. A perfect way to fix this is by adding a tyranitar to your team in place of keldeo. Choice scarf would probably be best, but whatever floats your boat. This is just a basic suggestion though.

I know how you feel about not getting responds as well. My mega gallade team hasn't gotten any either.

I see you use Empoleon. I salute you.

Anyways, I have never actually done any ratings before, but I can try.

The team seems very weak to talonflame and gengar. Shadow ball can hit your whole team for loads of damage and priority brave bird completely stops celebi and chesnaught, as well as hiting latias hard. A perfect way to fix this is by adding a tyranitar to your team in place of keldeo. Choice scarf would probably be best, but whatever floats your boat. This is just a basic suggestion though.

I know how you feel about not getting responds as well. My mega gallade team hasn't gotten any either.
Shadow ball doesn't touch Ches, neither does sludge bomb. Taunt is annoying though, and sludge wave is dangerous. I'm not dismissing your point, in fact I'll probs use it, I just wanted to point that out.

Thanks for the rate, tho!

Pretty cool team, BD Chesnaught needs more love imo.
Anyway, just a little nitpick: BD Chesnaught should usually run overgrow to OHKO Latias at +6 with seed bomb, but bulletproof is still an option to set up on non HP fire mega venu. However, your team doesn't look too mega venu weak, considering you have mega latias and victini, and HP Flying keldeo which is a nice lure.

Pretty cool team, BD Chesnaught needs more love imo.
Anyway, just a little nitpick: BD Chesnaught should usually run overgrow to OHKO Latias at +6 with seed bomb, but bulletproof is still an option to set up on non HP fire mega venu. However, your team doesn't look too mega venu weak, considering you have mega latias and victini, and HP Flying keldeo which is a nice lure.
That's a good point, I forgot about that. And actually, I chose to run HP flying for that reason; though you're right, venu isn't really a threat, it is a nuisance. Venu does more than I would like against Latias, which is a bit of a problem, considering it's meant to be my most reliable wincon. Tyranitar was suggested earlier, but I think I might slap AV/BG Bisharp on over Keldeo to pick off Gengar.

Oh, and I know it's late, but thanks for the rate, btw!

Last edited:
How do you take on Talonflame?

At a glance, Swords Dance and Band variants defeat half your team: Chesnaught, Keldeo, Celebi. CB Brave Bird on Victini has a 50% chance to kill after rocks.

The only good thing that defeats Talon seems to be Empoleon.

How do you take on Talonflame?

At a glance, Swords Dance and Band variants defeat half your team: Chesnaught, Keldeo, Celebi. CB Brave Bird on Victini has a 50% chance to kill after rocks.

The only good thing that defeats Talon seems to be Empoleon.
Actually, I changed keldeo to scarftar. I should probably update that. It still takes a decent-ish chunk of damage from banded u turn, but it outspeeds most and ko's if they do go for the u turn. Other than that, it just lols at TF.

And Thanks for the rate, btw!

First, if you run coverage on Keldeo, I suggest EBelt. Also, Sub CM Mega Gard recks. I recomend DP on something. I say Mega Lati, but that's just me. A replay showing how this happens: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-223593109. Otherwise, this is pretty much invincible. Unless Tflame is involved, as once it comes in, Brave Bird destroys the main defense, as a BB does half health an has priority, so you can't switch in. And, if Scoli passes a sub and +2 speed/attackto Mega Chomp, you are screwed, as you have no fairy, and both Victini and lati are outsped by it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-223645409

Last edited:
First, if you run coverage on Keldeo, I suggest EBelt. Also, Sub CM Mega Gard recks. I recomend DP on something. I say Mega Lati, but that's just me. A replay showing how this happens: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-223593109. Otherwise, this is pretty much invincible. Unless Tflame is involved, as once it comes in, Brave Bird destroys the main defense, as a BB does half health an has priority, so you can't switch in. And, if Scoli passes a sub and +2 speed/attackto Mega Chomp, you are screwed, as you have no fairy, and both Victini and lati are outsped by it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-223645409
Lol, If scolipede passes +2 Atk and Spe to mega chomp, you're screwed no matter who you have on your team. And actually chomp usually isn't that difficult to handle, since this team is basically meant to lure stuff in with Victini, smack them with glaciate, then put enough pressure with Victini to scare the opponent from trying to switching in. Victini is garchomps favorite to switch in on, but then it gets screwed over by glaciate. Also, I replaced keldeo with scarftar, I just haven't updated the OP. Keldeo was basically a "crap, what happened to my team, and why are there only 5 mons?" So i just slapped on keldeo, cause it's fun.

Thanks for the rate!

Cool team, it seems like an outright balance team at first but it certainly is very offensive when you look at it closely. Unless expert belt on celebi ensures some kills, I would recommend leftovers since you are running substitute, as the gradual recovery can give celebi a lot more longevity. Glaciate Life Orb Victini is pretty cool, although your team doesn't benefit a lot from luring Lando-T and Gliscor. Considering your huge gengar weakness, as scarftar can only revenge but not switch in safely, chople empoleon might be helpful, although i'm not sure how viable it is on this team. I notice that if your opponent gets up hazards and plays uturn + volt switch very well, it is very difficult for you to stop the momentum and remove hazards. I'm not sure how you can remedy this though without changing more than one team member.

Cool team, it seems like an outright balance team at first but it certainly is very offensive when you look at it closely. Unless expert belt on celebi ensures some kills, I would recommend leftovers since you are running substitute, as the gradual recovery can give celebi a lot more longevity. Glaciate Life Orb Victini is pretty cool, although your team doesn't benefit a lot from luring Lando-T and Gliscor. Considering your huge gengar weakness, as scarftar can only revenge but not switch in safely, chople empoleon might be helpful, although i'm not sure how viable it is on this team. I notice that if your opponent gets up hazards and plays uturn + volt switch very well, it is very difficult for you to stop the momentum and remove hazards. I'm not sure how you can remedy this though without changing more than one team member.
Yeah, that's what I like about the team- the opponent will likely attempt to play it like a balance team, just to find they're being swept by chesnaught. Expert belt helps celebi to lure and beat bisharp, which otherwise hurts a good portion of the team. It can set up a sub on the switch, then ohko non AV varients w/ earth power after rocks. W/o EB, it's only like a 12% or 1.2% chance to do so. I can't remember which. As for the gliscor and Lando t part, I basically just don't like trying to fight gliscor in general, so I just aim to beat it as fast as possible. The more important thing it does though is beating chomp, which is a force. It just can't beat scarf sets. Gengar actually isn't as much as it sounds- it can't switch in on anything, and as long as it's running sludge bomb over sludge wave, it can't even hit chesnaught barring focus blast, which isn't even all that reliable. That's the biggest reason I chose bullet proof. I can't find the stats on gengars moves, but I think sludge bomb is more common than sludge wave.

Sludge Wave is definitely more common than sludge bomb, which I would just disregard the idea that people use sludge bomb in ou, (sludge bomb is used in ubers though). Thus i would go overgrow on ches, and gar is actually a much bigger threat than you're making it imo. just my two cents.

Sludge Wave is definitely more common than sludge bomb, which I would just disregard the idea that people use sludge bomb in ou, (sludge bomb is used in ubers though). Thus i would go overgrow on ches, and gar is actually a much bigger threat than you're making it imo. just my two cents.
It's definitely a threat- don't get me wrong, but it can also be played around, specifically though luring it with stuff like Victini (it won't straight switch in, but they might try to do some double switch or something) it also can't really confortably switch in on most of the team actually- its most comfortable switch is chesnaught, but once it has a sub up, all it can do is taunt, which is annoying, but stone edge will hurt pretty bad. It can't switch in on Latias, unless it's in the mood to play the speed tie game, and it will lose to +1 mega Latias. The only two really safe switchins are empoleon and celebi, which you just have to play around. Also, overgrow is useless, since Im running stone edge for better coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)