Sports NBA Thread: 2023-2024 Season

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Wow mizuno hasn't been on in an entire year. I'm ready for keeper league whenever, already went in and set my keepers

I'm here! Time flies. Keeper league is up and draft is set for next Saturday 8pm AST (UTC−04:00). Keeper players must be set before Friday.

Tagging players from the past year to confirm: Scofield, Stallion, Del Rio, Ghost_Chill, cb aaron judge, Celticpride, trikx_insane, DiscoDucky, Rabia

As always, reminder of the rules:

1. Up to three players can be kept
  2. Keeping a player means giving up a draft round equal to the round the players was drafted last year (in our league) + 1. Lets call this the Keeper Value.
    Example: John Wall was drafted 6th last year. Team X can keep him by giving up the 5th round pick this year. (Keeper Value = 5)
  3. If keeping two or more players and they make it so that the same draft round is forfeited, then the additional player can be kept by giving up an additional higher round (so +2 for two, +3 for three...)
    Example: John Wall and Kyle Lowry were drafted in round 6 last year. Team X owns them both. They can be both kept by giving up the 5th round pick and 4th round pick this year.
  4. However, if two or more players make it so that the first round is forfeited, only one of them can be kept.
    Example: Team X has both Lebron James and Kevin Durant, which were drafted in the first round last year. Only one of them can be kept this year.
  5. A player can be kept by the same team for up to 2 years (lets call this the Keeper Contract). If the players was a first round pick the year before, that player can only be kept 1 year (giving up the first round pick for the year being kept).
    Example: Team X drafted Lebron James last year in the 1st round. He can be kept again by giving up the first round pick, but cannot be kept next year by Team X.
  6. Any player kept that was not drafted the year before counts as giving up the very last pick.
  7. The Keeper Contract (i.e. the amount of time a team can keep a player) will transfer when a trade is made and will remain even if a player is dropped.
    Example: Team X has kept J.J. Barea for 1 year. Team X trades him to Team Y. Team Y can only keep him one more year.
    Example: Team X has dropped Danilo Gallinari, who has been kept already 1 year using the 7th round pick. Team Y can pick him up and keep him one more year at the cost of the 6th round pick of the next draft.

I'm here! Time flies. Keeper league is up and draft is set for next Saturday 8pm AST (UTC−04:00). Keeper players must be set before Friday.

Tagging players from the past year to confirm: Scofield, Stallion, Del Rio, Ghost_Chill, cb aaron judge, Celticpride, trikx_insane, DiscoDucky, Rabia

2. Keeping a player means giving up a draft round equal to the round the players was drafted last year (in our league) + 1. Lets call this the Keeper Value.
    Example: John Wall was drafted 6th last year. Team X can keep him by giving up the 5th round pick this year. (Keeper Value = 5)
  3. If keeping two or more players and they make it so that the same draft round is forfeited, then the additional player can be kept by giving up an additional higher round (so +2 for two, +3 for three...)
    Example: John Wall and Kyle Lowry were drafted in round 6 last year. Team X owns them both. They can be both kept by giving up the 5th round pick and 4th round pick this year.
  4. However, if two or more players make it so that the first round is forfeited, only one of them can be kept.
    Example: Team X has both Lebron James and Kevin Durant, which were drafted in the first round last year. Only one of them can be kept this year.
  5. A player can be kept by the same team for up to 2 years (lets call this the Keeper Contract). If the players was a first round pick the year before, that player can only be kept 1 year (giving up the first round pick for the year being kept).
    Example: Team X drafted Lebron James last year in the 1st round. He can be kept again by giving up the first round pick, but cannot be kept next year by Team X.
  6. Any player kept that was not drafted the year before counts as giving up the very last pick.
  7. The Keeper Contract (i.e. the amount of time a team can keep a player) will transfer when a trade is made and will remain even if a player is dropped.
    Example: Team X has kept J.J. Barea for 1 year. Team X trades him to Team Y. Team Y can only keep him one more year.
    Example: Team X has dropped Danilo Gallinari, who has been kept already 1 year using the 7th round pick. Team Y can pick him up and keep him one more year at the cost of the 6th round pick of the next draft.
Returning

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Returning. You're the Mariah Carey of Smogon except you return for draft season instead of Xmas lol.

Also I've set my keepers but is there a sheet of who is eligible and who isn't?

Returning and keepers set

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader

I'd like to join if possible, also tagging Paulluxx because they asked to be tagged when this brought up.

we can also do a redraft league if there’s enough interest, maybe a points league? Open to any format though

Edit: confirming my return too!

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I might decide to post about this in much further detail later on, but there's something I've noticed lately about the success of different sports teams in various cities across the United States and parts of Canada. The basic rundown is that there seems to be at least a little bit of correlation between a city doing well in some sports but very poorly in others. Very rarely is it that one city does great in multiple sports at roughly the same time (2022 Philadelphia being a recent, notable outlier). I'm starting to do a lot more research on this already, but for the purposes of this year's dedicated NBA thread, it's very possible- not 100% confirmed, but possible- that this pattern could have repercussions on the following teams people think could be NBA Finals contenders this season. Keep in mind I've included a mix of positive and negative examples on this list:

• Boston Celtics (Boston's attention seems to be split between you and the NHL Bruins team these days)
  • Miami Heat (Same story as Boston, only this time it's the NFL and the Dolphins)
  • Philadelphia 76ers (This city already has two franchises performing well with the NFL's Eagles and the MLB's Phillies)
    • Meanwhile, the NHL's Flyers are sitting just outside the bottom tier similar last season to how these three sit just outside a championship
  • Denver Nuggets (Notice how the other Denver sports franchises are all doing horrible right when the Nuggets got super good)
    • Similarly, the Houston Rockets fell off again right around the time the Astros started doing great in the MLB
  • Pheonix Suns (Probably the only real contender in any major league sport in the whole state of Arizona right now)
  • Atlanta Hawks (Likely not as competitive as those other five, but I did at least want to mention the gap between the NFL's Falcons and the MLB's Braves while the Hawks are a nice middle ground between them in my opinion)
If I had to put my money on any one team winning this season's NBA Finals right now, based on recent historical trends and projected playoff difficulty, so far I'm leaning towards a Denver Nuggets repeat, with the Milwaukee Bucks and Pheonix Suns as my 2nd and 3rd most hopeful picks respectively. I feel hesitant to nominate either the Celtics or the 76ers since they compete with each other in the same division making it hard to pick between the two.

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor

I would like to join yeah

Denver Nuggets (Notice how the other Denver sports franchises are all doing horrible right when the Nuggets got super good)
Actually, the Colorado Avalanche are really good right now! One of the NHL's best young teams and they recently won a cup.

Pheonix Suns (Probably the only real contender in any major league sport in the whole state of Arizona right now)
And the Diamondbacks just made the NLCS! They're a little ahead of schedule on the rebuild but this deep in October anything can happen.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Actually, the Colorado Avalanche are really good right now! One of the NHL's best young teams and they recently won a cup.

And the Diamondbacks just made the NLCS! They're a little ahead of schedule on the rebuild but this deep in October anything can happen.
Ah, I knew I was forgetting a few teams. I’m not quite sold yet on the Diamondbacks since their rebuild is still so new (I want to see if they’re a one and done deal), but admittedly the Avalanche have had really solid projections the past year or two alongside the Nuggets, while the Broncos and Rockies continue to fill in the “underwhelming” side of the coin for Denver for the time being. Two good teams, and two bad teams. Makes sense. :)

Any interest in a redraft league? And Mizuno are we good to expand the keeper league by two teams?
We can expand by two teams up to 12, I don't have an issue with that. I am waiting for confirmation from the last few members of the current league, depending on their status we can expand or someone can take over a team. awyp and Paulluxx I will let you know tomorrow or Friday what the status is.

I am up for participating in a redraft league. If someone else takes the initiative to start one, count me in!

Confirming. Please make the playoffs end on march 24th this year
Current setting is to end on March 31 (Week 22, last week is Week 24). If there is no opposition we can make the change. Just a note, there is supposed to be stricter rules against resting players this year but who knows how successful will that be.

Tagging everyone in the league to receive feedback. Scofield, Stallion, Del Rio, Ghost_Chill, cb aaron judge, Celticpride, trikx_insane, DiscoDucky, Rabia

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
We can expand by two teams up to 12, I don't have an issue with that. I am waiting for confirmation from the last few members of the current league, depending on their status we can expand or someone can take over a team. awyp and Paulluxx I will let you know tomorrow or Friday what the status is.

I am up for participating in a redraft league. If someone else takes the initiative to start one, count me in!

Current setting is to end on March 31 (Week 22, last week is Week 24). If there is no opposition we can make the change. Just a note, there is supposed to be stricter rules against resting players this year but who knows how successful will that be.

Tagging everyone in the league to receive feedback. Scofield, Stallion, Del Rio, Ghost_Chill, cb aaron judge, Celticpride, trikx_insane, DiscoDucky, Rabia
Thank you Mizuno, please keep us updated :)

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Fine with expanding keepers to 12 teams. Other minor changes to consider if we’re going to do that:
-Expanding rosters to 14. That way draft is an even 14 rounds and both 1st and 12th spots drafts from 1st position of a round an equal number of times
-I wouldn’t mind expanding rosters to 14 even if we don’t expand league to 12 teams. The waiver wire tends to be too good in 10 teams, rewarding teams that drafted poorly (can replace poor picks with good players easily) and punishing teams that drafted well (less droppable players and then the poorly drafted teams improve easily)
-3rd round reversal, where instead of 1st getting picks 2-12 and 3-1, 12th gets 3-1 and then the draft continues to shake as normal (not even sure yahoo can do this tbh)
-I’d like to change the 2 IR spots to IR+ spots. Yahoo injury designations is way too random

Im not as adamant about these changes as I am for changing playoffs to end march 24th, but read these make leagues a bit more even and agree

Last edited:

awyp

RMT Leader
Resident Sixers fan checking in to say James Harden to the Clippers please happen already end my suffering
Honestly this saga has been going on to long, I think James Harden is a infectious disease to any team he joins, one of my favorite players but I can't stand what he does to the culture of every team.

We have one team that is not returning, so there is one spot available for someone. I know both awyp and Paulluxx are interested. If we can find a third person interested in joining, then we can expand to 12.

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 2.41.48 PM.png

My team for my friend group league that I'm commishing. 6 teams, I had the fifth pick so my first pick was Embiid. Pretty solid team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)