Neutrals

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But then you just have a Megaman Fishy :|

Anyway, there are really two baseline rules for neutrals:

-Their win conditions must be achievable, but difficult.
-Make as few as possible.

As long as you follow those two guidelines, neutrals won't "fuck up" the game.

WHY.

I have never understood this mentality behind fucking over neutrals. To be honest, this is why Neutrals fuck up the game so hard. When their wincon is ridiculously difficult, some people don't even try to win, and just make their mark on the game by fucking things up as much as possible.

Make it so that neutrals' wincon is easier rather than harder, but limit their ability to influence the game. This is easy if you either limit the neutral's abilities or remove them from the game once they win.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
However if a neutral is fucking over people to work for his own WC, that is worlds better than having a neutral with an easy win condition aligning himself with a faction solely because he wants to :|

If you make a neutral's win condition easy but also lower their ability to influence the game, then you have a useless person in the game who literally just does nothing and hopes that people are nice enough or that he's lucky enough to find the person/people he needs to find. He isn't playing mafia anymore, he is just along for the ride.

I don't know quite how good this is going to be, but I think the "you win if Han Solo is lynched" win condition wasn't entirely bad, but perhaps something like "if Han Solo dies in any other way, you die too" should have been added. What I'm trying to say is that if a neutral ever fulfils his fairly difficult win condition or ends up being unable to fulfil said win condition, then he should be removed from the game.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But when you make it incredibly easy for that role to fail, then you just have a terrible decision that fucks over your players. You should never make decisions that fuck over your players, because then you just get a bunch of dissatisfied players.

Perhaps multiple win conditions and multiple lose conditions, wins if, at any time, it is impossible for more lose conditions to be fulfilled than lose conditions? That seems fair.
Example:
+Han Solo lynched
+survives until the end
-dies
-Han Solo killed by non-lynch

Dear Witch Hazel,

You are Gabriel.

The archangel formerly the angel of death, you have not heard God speak to you in quite a long time because of your hatred for humans. You feel that they don't deserve to be God's favorite, and thus a war was started in Heaven. Angels against angels. You have come to Earth in search of a Dark Soul that would turn the tide in your favor. You do not care who wins this battle, only that you get that soul.

You search corpses in hopes of finding this item. Each night you must PM both hosts, "Night X - Dig up USER" Your target must be someone who is dead. You will gain any possessions that they had on them when they died.

You also have another power that can be used with the other. Each night you must PM both hosts, "Night X - Shush USER" If that user targets you for anything, he will stopped and forced to go back to sleep.

Being an archangel, you never had a need for technology thus you are unable to use items.

You are allied with no one. You win if you can attain the Dark Soul.

"Do you know how you got that dent, in your top lip? Way back, before you were born, I told you a secret, then I put my finger there and I said 'Shhhhh!'"
Probably the most glaring error in neutral CWC in my mafia. Honestly, he only won because of happenstance. The nature of the item he was required to obtain was one that I believed would be passed around to stop power roles. Never got to see the effects of it.

EDIT: And Prophecy was a good fucking movie you pricks.

Dear Ralph the Wolf,

You are Johnny 5.

You're alive! Originally a robot created for military warfare, you were zapped by lightning which altered your original combat programming into something more..peaceful. While you are certainly not a bad guy, you are quite naive for an Artificial Intelligence, which leads you to be used by any person. But you don't mind, you like the company. Unfortunately, you were made in 1986 and can only hold so much input.

Whenever you have possession of an item, you store every facet of it into your memory. This allows you to recreate any item currently stored in your memory by sending a PM stating, "Day/Night X - Rebuild ITEM" You may only build one copy of an item.

You can only remember the schematics for at most 3 items, and they each must be an item used by a different faction. Whenever you receive an item that is used by a faction that you already have an item stored for it will cause an error, and reset the count as well as make you lose what stored info you had.

Being a sophisticated robot, you don't see the need to use items.

You are allied with no one. You win if you successfully hold the stored information of 1 item from each faction.

"Los locos kick your ass. Los locos kick your face. Los locos kick your balls INTO OUTER SPACE!"
People seem to love this role, I don't know why. It was kinda difficult. I thought of the role like a item version of Petey Piranha.

Examples of items he could have held info for are: Power Bands, WABAC Machine, Lawgiver [Denizens], Z-Staff, Scotsman's Longsword [MM], Transmatter Ray, Bison Dollar [DD]

Dear Blacque Jacque Shellacque,

You are Pinky.

Poit! You are the dimwitted genetically spliced mouse. Brain kicked you out after you foiled his plans for world domination for the eight thousand three hundred and fifty-fifth time. Troz! Now you are all alone.. All you wanted was for Brain to be your friend. Gonk! Now you hope to help anyone in hopes that you can find a new friend.

Narf! Being a horrible clumsy hazard is in your blood. You can destroy any item you hold by sending a PM stating, "Day X - Fiddle with ITEM" Though, you mostly seek the items that took Brain away from you.

You may also send another PM stating, "Night X - Bumble through USERs House" Since you spent a good portion of your life around Brain, you can make out the pieces to the device and should the user be in possession of one, you will nab it.

Being a dimwit, you are unable to use items.

You are allied with no one. You win if you manage to hold all 3 parts to a device and destroy them all at once.

"You aren't going to get rid of me, are you Brain? I mean, you, working as a single? Look happened to Jerry Lewis after he split with Dean; all that stuff in your hair."
This poor bloke couldn't fulfill his win condition when the MMs created their device. I guess it suffers from that problem. He was supposed to be the balance to people making devices and to help get rid of the enemies weapons. He could have destroyed the Lawgiver, or even the dip if he got his hands on them for the factions. I even gave him a thief ability for the devices to ensure he had a chance.

Dear Rocky,

You are the Narrator.

You are the depressed car company worker who suffers from insomnia and multiple personality disorder. You were originally alright with your alter ego's plans for Fight Club and Project Mayhem, but once things became a little more destructive, you became weary and sought out to stop the madness. You were alright with the plan, you just didn't want to hurt anyone with it. After all, your life and the world does suck.

During the night you can send a PM stating, "Night X - Send USER to cause Mayhem" At night you will instruct the user to cause chaos. Whoever the user originally targeted will be changed by random selection. Who knows what will happen? You don't know, but you hope that it results in the end of your horrible life. You can only target each user once with this ability.

If you are ever inspected you will come up as:

Dear Rocky,

You are Tyler Durden.

The ever charismatic, anti-consumer psycho. You are the creator of Fight Club as well as Project Mayhem. You used the former to gather members for the latter. In your delusional path to destroy all things regarding social order, you have even gone so far as to blow up buildings that represent capitalism and consumerism. Now it is time to up the ante. Though really, I shouldn't even talk about this as I am breaking the rules.

During the night you can send a PM stating, "Night X - Setting Bombs around USER" You will tie your own home made bombs to the user and then detonate them resulting in their gory death.

You are allied with no one. You win if there are no more Dastardly Deviants, Megalo Maniacs or Denizens alive.

"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me."
You are allied with no one. You win if your instruction to cause chaos targets you OR if 2 other Neutrals have their win conditions fulfilled.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
Hah, this was GTS's idea. A random redirector for a little chaos. I feel mafia games need that tiny bit of chaos or else they become formulated. I knew there was potential abuse in this role so I gave it the stipulation of only being able to target users once.

I gave him the second CWC to give incentive to help the likes of Pinky, Wolf, and Johnny. Also, because depending on how the game went, he could be without anyone to target.

Dear Sylvester,

You are Patrick Bateman.

Why does no one believe you are a sociopath? Are you a crazed psycho killer or just a delusional yuppie? Who knows? You find your life of being a wealthy professional investment banker slowly deteriorating into that of seriously morbid lunatic. Your day to day gruesome killings grow exponentially worse and you even tell your co-workers about it, though they don't believe you. Eventually you found yourself seeing anthropomorphic park benches chasing people.. Nevertheless, your mind grows worse each day.

During the night you can send a PM stating, "Night X - Chopping up USER" In the middle of night, you will visit that user and terribly decapitate and disembowel the user.

If you are ever inspected you will come up as:

Dear Sylvester,

You are Johnny Bravo.

Hey baby, you are the most handsome character ever. Every time you walk by someone they utter "Whoa, Mama!" because you are so sexy. Well, atleast you think so. Though you still live with your mother, you try to hit on every hot lady who passes by you with a hilariously bad and egotistic pick up line. Usually this results in you getting knocked out. But that's alright, you always carry a comb and those awesome sunglasses.

During the night you can send a PM stating, "Night X - Do the Monkey with USER" Anyone targeting that user will be instead drawn to your natural charisma and animal magnetism, making them target you instead. You cannot target the same user twice in a row.

You are allied with the Denizens. You win if the Denizens win.

"I came, I saw, I broke a hip."
You are allied with no one. You win if there are no more Dastardly Deviants, Megalo Maniacs or Denizens alive.

"TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!"
And the wolf. I think its been agreed wolves always need a little help. Maybe I gave this one to much with Tyler Durden and his own fake PM. Matamato would probably agree. But really, it was nothing groundbreaking like Cell or Nietzsche. Only a killer with a little role help.

I didn't have a plethora of neutrals. I figure 5 is a good base number. 3-5-7 if your game is large enough. Each one almost complimented the others as a kind of neutral faction. My game was also item heavy which is why most of them deal with the control of those items.

Well, that's my neutrals. Tear them apart you dogs.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can tear apart my neutrals everybody. One has won, just wait for the other to win, and I'll post them both here.

Interesting topic this.

In my Final Fantasy Mafia idea, which seems to have sunk on account that I should have made it a general FF Mafia rather than a tight-looped one, I planned seven neutrals of 42 players, a sixth of the gamers. Of these, there was a wolf, an Epsilon-style role who had to get one mafia persuader killed before they were, a redirector who had to redirect 3 kills, a survivor, and a true neutral twin, who depending on the death of their other twin would either go wolf if lynched, become vigilante if killed by mafia or wolf, or become a vandal designed to destroy every item if said twin was godkilled (lol). Then I had my other two, who seemed like good ideas.

One was a Bounty Hunter, effectively a wolf who had to kill a certain person. When said hunter killed a player who wasn't target, he'd be silenced the next couple of days and be in hiding, therefore couldn't kill for a couple of cycles. The other was a Collector, essentially a thief who could steal and was immune to theft. The flaw there was that the items could be used time and time again, and one of the items was effectively a BPV, which would have meant that said collector would have won eventually.

Gabriel:

I don't mind neutral scavengers, but I don't see why his vote counts, and I think his WC is prolly too easy.

Johnny 5:

More like Wall-E.

Eh, he usually has to deal with every faction to win which is nice as it stops him from allying with one faction in particular. Still, why does he have a vote?

Pinky:

Fine balance-wise (though again, I wouldn't have given him a counting vote), though he seems so much harder to win with than the others. Also I like how his PM mentions Brain alot when Brain was village thief.

Narrator:

Completely unnecessary but I guess we disagree on that. Second WC is just too easy, all he had to do was wait. And again I don't think he should have been able to vote.

Patrick Bateman:

Wolf with a mole role. I don't mind, really. I mind something like Dickens or ggfan because they could fake being whatever they wanted a lot, whereas this one is locked to pretending to be a martyr, which makes him unable to work with the mafia without giving himself away. This guy could reasonably have been given an inspect ability and still be balanced. As balanced as the concept of wolf vs 2 vs 1 is, anyway...but that is for another day.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eo Ut Mortus said:
Dear <user>
You are Wario.

You are greedy, fat, and selfish, but strong. Very strong. You are going to be using your strength to muscle your way in on the Orb Of Darkness, which is rumored to provide great power. You are willing to make temporary alliances with anybody in order to lay your hands on it, but do not want to make long-time commitments, as that might drain away your precious money. You have managed to send away your nemesis, Mario, on a wild goose chase after Bowser, and now want to operate without his interference.

At night you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus saying “Night X- Frisking <user>”. You will frisk <user> and take away all of his items.

Alternatively, you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus saying “Night X- Killing <user>". <user> will be killed by the end of the night, and you may choose how to kill him in the body of the PM. If nothing is mentioned, it will, by default, be to be hit over the head with a super hammer. This cannot be stacked with your other night ability.

Your bad smell means that you are immune to being inspected at night.

You know Waluigi is in the game. He is <user>. Also, you know that a certain Luigi is likely to be looking for his brother. It would be advisable to get in touch with him and use his trust to your advantage.

You are holding the Ruby Gem. At day, you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus saying “Day X- Breaking Ruby Gem”. You will break the Ruby Gem on the floor just before a lynch, making it day again after the lynch. This item is only usable once.

You are allied with yourself and Waluigi. You win if you use the Orb of Darkness, and then utilize your newfound powers obtained upon using it twice successfully.
Eo Ut Mortus said:
Dear <user>,
You are Waluigi.

You are Wario's best friend and a doppelganger of Luigi. You hate Luigi to the core and want to pick up an item that will assist you in future encounters with him. For this purpose, you have formed an alliance with Wario. You know that he is <snip>. You will be using your stealth in order to achieve your goal. You badly want to obtain the mystical Orb of Light.

At night, you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus saying "Night X- Taking <user> for a ride on Wario's motorbike". You will take <user> for a ride on a mororbike and chat with him. At the end of the night, you will know his full role PM.

Alternatively, you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus at night saying "Night X- Spilling motor oil over <user>". <user> will be so occupied in cleaning himself of the oil that he will fail to perform his action for the night. This cannot be stacked with your other ability.

You are so thin and fast that you cannot be lynched directly.

You are holding the Sapphire Gem. At night, you may PM hailflameblast and Eo Ut Mortus saying "Night X- Cracking Sapphire Gem". Just as the night ends, you will break the Sapphire Gem, causing it to be night once more. This stacks with your normal abilities. This item is only usable once.

You are allied with yourself and Wario. You win if you manage to use the Orb of Light and utilize your newfound powers obtained upon using it twice.
In hindsight, rather broken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)