New and "creative" moveset/EV spread thread "Mark 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has gotten horribly derailed. There have been a few good sets lately, but mostly it's been useless gimmicks that exist for the sake of being gimmicky. Missingo Master, do not take a moveset of a standard Pokemon and put it on its NFE counterpart. That is not creative in any sense of the word, and not the point of this thread at all. Similarly, slapping a Choice Band/Specs on a Pokemon and utilizing its lesser attacking stats isn't creative either.

This thread has gotten horribly derailed. There have been a few good sets lately, but mostly it's been useless gimmicks that exist for the sake of being gimmicky. Missingo Master, do not take a moveset of a standard Pokemon and put it on its NFE counterpart. That is not creative in any sense of the word, and not the point of this thread at all. Similarly, slapping a Choice Band/Specs on a Pokemon and utilizing its lesser attacking stats isn't creative either.
I was actually gonna post something like this earlier. I've been seeing a lot of "lol another random set" posts by people too. But this post post pretty much sums up the thread.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The song about Celeblade:
It's Celeblading time, come on!
Let's use Celeblade!
It's so bulky!
G.J.Y created it!
Let get Celeblade!
Goooooooooooo Celeblade!
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1555209&postcount=1

SS4Azelf said:
Name: Dancing Onion (Lettuce?)
Move 1: Zen Headbutt / U-turn
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Seed Bomb
Move 4: Recover / Subsitute / Leech Seed / Aerial Ace
EVS: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
You're 2 weeks late there, buddy.

Are you trying to say that my CBGar set isn't worth shit? No, wait, you're only saying it's not creative. But it is NEW. If it's new and effective, screw how creative it is, so long as it WORKS! And I think it's creative, as nobody else has thought of it yet. And even if this definition of creative is screwy, it doesn't NEED to be creative to be effective.

CBGar is nothing more than a gimmick. If you want to run a choice banded ghost, Banette or Dusknoir are much better options, although they aren't spectacular at that either. NFE pokémon aren't allowed anywhere except in the little cup, and I think it has a forum of its own.

CBGar is nothing more than a gimmick. If you want to run a choice banded ghost, Banette or Dusknoir are much better options, although they aren't spectacular at that either. NFE pokémon aren't allowed anywhere except in the little cup, and I think it has a forum of its own.
Yeah, a gimmick with 376 Attack, 309 Speed, physical BoltBeam, and the ability to OHKO Blissey. I don't think any other Gengar can do that, even with a specs'd Focus Blast. That's the beauty of CBGar. When people see Banette or Dusknoir, they know to bring in a physical wall. But Gengar makes them switch to a special wall, such as Blissey. It's so UNEXPECTED. Unexpected and effective-it's a good combination.

And NFEs aren't allowed in ANY Tier?! Really??? Where the hell did you hear this???

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i'm pretty sure the current rule is they are considerd the same tier as their fully evolved forms unless they play completey diffrently (scyther, trapinch) but they are thinking about changing that

i'm pretty sure the current rule is they are considerd the same tier as their fully evolved forms unless they play completey diffrently (scyther, trapinch) but they are thinking about changing that
How's that work for Eevee, then? It has multiple evolved forms, which are all spread across several tiers.

Yeah, a gimmick with 376 Attack, 309 Speed, physical BoltBeam, and the ability to OHKO Blissey. I don't think any other Gengar can do that, even with a specs'd Focus Blast. That's the beauty of CBGar. When people see Banette or Dusknoir, they know to bring in a physical wall. But Gengar makes them switch to a special wall, such as Blissey. It's so UNEXPECTED. Unexpected and effective-it's a good combination.

And NFEs aren't allowed in ANY Tier?! Really??? Where the hell did you hear this???
Gimmicky sets are so specific, they're useless most of the time. For the Gengar that you've chosen, to work it requires that the opponent is using a blissey, or perhaps Snorlax. Suppose they bring out a metagross, a jirachi, a bronzong or a spirittomb. Well being stuck on focus punch sucks if they are pursuiting you. And after the "surprise" Gengar is absolutely useless (except for an explosion). So what? You took out 1 pokemon, and then your Gengar becomes pretty useless after that...or your Gengar doesn't even take out one pokemon and it's still useless.

Surprises don't work typically. It takes out one pokemon and then it becomes useless? What's the point. Any pokemon on your team should be able to take out at least one pokemon-or at least do something beneficial.

But my sets are fine, right?? I have just tried the Celeblade, it works greatly, with +6, either attack it has 2HKO a Standard Celebi, That is amazing!! Just use the set when there is no heracross or heatran around.

A bulk up Gallade by ThePinkReaper from Shoddy
Gallade@leftovers
252hp/252sp.def/6atk
(+sp.def,-sp.atk)
-Bulk Up
-Leaf Blade/t-punch/ice punch
-Drain Punch
-Fire Punch
With Gallade bulked up on the special side, it can bulk up it's defense and attack. Drain Punch for healing, the other 2 moves for filler.

The song about Celeblade:
Let's use Celeblade!
It's so bulky!
G.J.Y created it!
Let get Celeblade!
Goooooooooooo Celeblade!
That Gallade set is begging for Shadow Sneak

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 Spd/252 SpA/6 HP

Trick
Thunder Wave
Will-o-Wisp
Overheat/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Discharge/HP (ground,ice)

This is my Rotom-h I've been using for a while. It's worked wonders for my team, being easily able to cripple almost everything. It's also really fast thanks to the scarf, reaching 406 Speed, outspeeding Skymin and scarftran with ease, in addition to most everything else. It can cripple attackers relying on sheer physical power with a swift will-o-wisp, those relying on their speed with a nice Thunder Wave, walls with a well-placed Trick, and many pokemon in general with a powerful Sp. atk. I personally run overheat because I need it for coverage on my team, but any of the listed options would work fine. The SpA EVs can easily be moved to HP if you want bulky rather than powerful or you could run calculations if you're looking for a specific OHKO and distribute them between HP and SpA as needed.

This Rotom is a great pokemon to switch into something, particularly when you lack something designed to take a specific hit, because it's insanely bulky, and can most likely cripple or kill the pokemon without any trouble.

IMPORTANT: I found out that the whole time I've been running this set, I ONLY had 252 EVs in Speed, no SpA or HP or anything, and it worked fine and was one of the more helpful members of my team. Now I can add a significant amount of power or bulkiness to it and it should be even more effective!

Please try this set out, comment, criticize, praise it, enjoy it.

17 page bump for the win. almost no reviews. also, i've been using this some more and i have a few thoughts. first of all, this guy's AMAZING for luring in heatrans, particularly if you come in on a fire-weak poke. This means whenever you switch into something weak to fire, you unleash a t-wave, predicting a heatran, probably scarfed, coming in. if you paralyze them, then they're practically useless for the rest of the game. Also, I find myself hardly ever using w-o-w because I'd much rather just paralyze something or crush something w/ overheat. This may just be because my team benefits quite a bit from paralysis, but either way i'm thinking of replacing it on the set with tbolt/shadow ball. Thoughts anyone? I recommend this to anyone looking for a decent speedy 'wall.' I use this on my team to absorb all kinds of things and throw around paralysis, which often sets up late-game sweeps for my azumarill.

CBgar can explode :D

I used an exploding CBgar at the JAA tournaments a few years back. It was the fastest exploder (except Self-Destruct Mewtwo, which I also used).
It was pretty successful. That being said, it isn't particularly useful now =/ but if you have success with it then cool. Use it.

I too, am disappointed in the recent sets. These things are supposed to be competitively viable. SubPunch McGar is a viable Pokemon. It can get past Blissey and still function reasonably well afterwards. Choice Band Gengar is not. 376 Attack is not a big deal at all. Many many many Pokemon have more than this even without Choice Bands... and Choice Band Gengar is outrun by too many things that regular Gengar isn't.

Anyways, enough rant. Here's my contribution. It's in Platinum Analysis, and it's also in my RMT.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Mild Nature
152 Atk / 112 SpA / 244 Spe

-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt

OHKOs Blissey and Heatran with Focus Punch. Fire Blast is for STAB, and rips through anything that doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt 2HKOs all the bulky waters, except Swampert and Kingdra. A very powerful set, absolutely destroys stall teams if you can get it in before the Toxic Spikes are down.

Better than Tyraniboah IMO, because Fire Blast is so powerful backed by STAB and 345 Special Attack. None of the standard walls can stand up to this. Gliscor, Forretress, Skarmory, Bronzong, Celebi and Hippowdon are outrun and annihilated by Fire Blast. Gyarados, Vaporeon, Suicune, and even Milotic fall to Thunderbolt. Focus Punch kills Blissey, Heatran and Tyranitar.

I too, am disappointed in the recent sets. These things are supposed to be competitively viable. SubPunch McGar is a viable Pokemon. It can get past Blissey and still function reasonably well afterwards. Choice Band Gengar is not. 376 Attack is not a big deal at all. Many many many Pokemon have more than this even without Choice Bands... and Choice Band Gengar is outrun by too many things that regular Gengar isn't.

Anyways, enough rant. Here's my contribution. It's in Platinum Analysis, and it's also in my RMT.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Mild Nature
152 Atk / 112 SpA / 244 Spe

-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt

OHKOs Blissey and Heatran with Focus Punch. Fire Blast is for STAB, and rips through anything that doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt 2HKOs all the bulky waters, except Swampert and Kingdra. A very powerful set, absolutely destroys stall teams if you can get it in before the Toxic Spikes are down.
A Rash nature might be better, to allow you to take Scizor's BP better when you don't have a sub up. That set looks pretty promising, although sandstorm+SR+sub could get annoying. I've always like Magmortar for the fact that its the only Fire type besides Ho-Oh to learn Thunderbolt.

Post these here, because this seems to be the dumpster for trashy builds nowadays..

@ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blast Burn
- Focus Blast/ Focus Punch(?)
- Hidden Power [Electric]/ [Ice]
- Substitute
---
This is a set that I just cannot resist. Just the Idea of 150 STAB base power attack + Life Orb + Blaze makes me drool. Ev's needs to be adjusted..

and...

@ Salac Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 12 HP/246 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Endeavor
- Substitute
---
Prolly been done..

Edit: Maybe not trashy but nothing innovative...
Edit2: I do enjoy that Magmotar set though. However, Choice Scarf Mag is more of my thing.

I've been using ScarfMie with a lot of success lately. This is basically just the Specs set switched to Scarf, but it's not listed at all, even in the other options section.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Modest nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

This is one of the best revenge killers in the game, and also great at cleaning up late-game when enemy pokemon are all weakened. Water/Psychic/Electric/Ice has tremendous type coverage, and allows you to easily revenge kill some of the biggest threats in the metagame, such as Scarfed Gengar (unless it's Timid), Skymin, Scarf Heatran, Gyarados and Salamence after one Dragon Dance, and Jolly Tyranitar after two Dragon Dances (it has to be weakened though).

It plays similarly to ScarfGar, although it's more unexpected because Starmie is expected to be a Rapid Spinner most of the time. Weaviles who come in trying to Pursuit will be in for a huge surprise as you outspeed and deliver a crushing blow with Surf first (if you're locked into Psychic you're screwed obviously).

Modest nature is suggested because Starmie's base special attack is only 100, compared to Gengar's 130. Timid is an option to guarantee you outspeed Timid ScarfGar, but usually it's overkill and you want that extra power.

Rate plz.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using ScarfMie with a lot of success lately. This is basically just the Specs set switched to Scarf, but it's not listed at all, even in the other options section.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Modest nature
- Surf
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
Why not carry trick?

well, these are just 2 things ive wanted to try, but i havent been able to.

flareon@life orb
mild nature
Ev's- 4 hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 SpA
-fire blast
-hp grass
-superpower
-bite

Fire Blast and HP Grass are for STAB and type coverage, Bite isfor Hypno/Grumpig, which are both normally 2 ko'ed( I think). Superpower is for the kill on Fable and more coverage. I wasn't sure if there was anything it needed to outspeed that wasn't already slow as dirt(Quagsire)
AND
Sableye@ leftovers
Bold nature
Ability: Keen Eye
Ev's- 252 hp/252 Def/ 4 SpD
-calm mind
-recover
-shadow ball
-hp fight
The idea is simple, calm mind up and use recover to well, recover. It's dangerous for uu teams and I have actually swept a few ou teams with it that didnt have any particularly hard hitters.

Any comments apprciated.

one more poke, forgot to put it in my last post.
solrock@ leftovers
levitate
careful nature
220 hp/36 Def/252 SpD
-will-o-wisp
-light screen
-rock slide
-earthquake/explosion
I tried this out for a few battles and it worked reasonably well, destroying its share of Mantine in uu. light screen boosts it's below average special defense and will-o-wisp works well with its above average defenses. the hp ev's are for the magic leftovers number.

This set isn't new at all, remember that Choice Scarf does not make a set "new".
If you were talking to me, this set isn't new because of Choice Scarf, it's new because it's focused around supporting and, in my experience, is amazing at luring and crippling Heatran w/ t-wave. Also, it can outspeed skymin in case they try to stay in on you.

EDIT: Reposting set since this is on the next page so as not to confuse those who read this post.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 Spd/252 SpA/6 HP

Trick
Thunder Wave
Will-o-Wisp
Overheat/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Discharge/HP (ground,ice)

This is my Rotom-h I've been using for a while. It's worked wonders for my team, being easily able to cripple almost everything. It's also really fast thanks to the scarf, reaching 406 Speed, outspeeding Skymin and scarftran with ease, in addition to most everything else. It can cripple attackers relying on sheer physical power with a swift will-o-wisp, those relying on their speed with a nice Thunder Wave, walls with a well-placed Trick, and many pokemon in general with a powerful Sp. atk. I personally run overheat because I need it for coverage on my team, but any of the listed options would work fine. The SpA EVs can easily be moved to HP if you want bulky rather than powerful or you could run calculations if you're looking for a specific OHKO and distribute them between HP and SpA as needed.

This Rotom is a great pokemon to switch into something, particularly when you lack something designed to take a specific hit, because it's insanely bulky, and can most likely cripple or kill the pokemon without any trouble.

IMPORTANT: I found out that the whole time I've been running this set, I ONLY had 252 EVs in Speed, no SpA or HP or anything, and it worked fine and was one of the more helpful members of my team. Now I can add a significant amount of power or bulkiness to it and it should be even more effective!

Please try this set out, comment, criticize, praise it, enjoy it.

I've been using this some more and i have a few thoughts. first of all, this guy's AMAZING for luring in heatrans, particularly if you come in on a fire-weak poke. This means whenever you switch into something weak to fire, you unleash a t-wave, predicting a heatran, probably scarfed, coming in. if you paralyze them, then they're practically useless for the rest of the game. Also, I find myself hardly ever using w-o-w because I'd much rather just paralyze something or crush something w/ overheat. This may just be because my team benefits quite a bit from paralysis, but either way i'm thinking of replacing it on the set with tbolt/shadow ball. Thoughts anyone? I recommend this to anyone looking for a decent speedy 'wall.' I use this on my team to absorb all kinds of things and throw around paralysis, which often sets up late-game sweeps for my azumarill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)