ORAS OU Nuclear Offense - ft. Mega Gardevoir

So after successfully laddering with Mega Ampharos, I decided to try and build a team around my favourite mega - Gardevoir. I originally tried for a more balanced team, but it just wasn't working out. Thus, nuclear offense. This is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had with a team, and it's also pretty damn solid.
Well, it's kinda like hyper offense, but more extreme. Basically, every turn you have one goal. Kill something. No beating around the bush, no U-turn or volt switch shenanigans, hell, I don't even have stealth rocks. I love this playstyle because it forces the opponent to really stay on their toes, the battle never slows down. Oh, and battles never go over 25 turns. Sweet.

- Fuck stall
- Fuck stall
- Fuck stall
Yes, I hate stall.

Nuke #1

Gamora (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

The star of the team, right here. My favourite mega evolution, mega gardevoir is seriously underrated. I opted for modest nature to compliment gardevoir's already ridiculously high Sp.atk stat. Hyper Voice is it's move of choice, reaching 175.5 base power after Pixilate and STAB. Coupled with 471 Sp.atk and a decent 299 speed, nothing will appreciate getting hit by that. I rarely use Psyshock, but it's on there for some added coverage and for heavy sp.def walls. I hate using Focus Blast due to the 70% accuracy, but gardevoir needs it for coverage vs steels. Taunt helps shut down stall.

Nuke #2

Rocket (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Now a staple on all my teams, scarf Victini is one of my favourite mons to use. With nice 100 base stats in everything, a disgustingly powerful 180 BP + STAB v-create, and outstanding coverage, what's not to love? I prefer scarf > band, as a band won't turn many THKO's into OHKO's anyways. But with a scarf, you will still be at 330 speed after a v-create, enough to outspeed base 100's. Bolt Strike, U-turn, and Zen Headbutt are rarely used, but are there for some added coverage (but v-create deals more damage anyways, even when it's resisted). Victini also works amazingly with Kyurem-b.

Nuke #3

Groot (Kyurem-Black) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Kyu-b is the final member of the core of the team, and works great with Mega Gardevoir and Victini, countering things like Heatran that give the other two trouble. I opted for Expert Belt > Life Orb because Kyu-b is often switching into attacks, and doesn't like Life Orb recoil on top of being damaged. 236 speed EVs allow Kyu-b to outspeed max invested base 80's, while the rest are dumped into it's already monstrous Atk and Sp.atk stats. It has disgustingly good coverage, hitting most things super effectively (hence the expert belt). Teravolt is very useful, allowing Kyu-b to bypass things like Multiscale, Thick Fat, and Levitate to OHKO with even greater ease.

Nuke #4

Ronan the Accuser (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

I needed a spinner, and a fast special attacker. Starmie works quite well. I opted for Natural Cure > Analytic because Starmie probably isn't going to be moving last, due to a very nice 361 speed. Not much to say here.

Nuke #5

Star Lord (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

I wanted another answer to pesky bulky steel types that Gardevoir and Kyu-b hate (especially scizor). I also needed a Bisharp counter. Infernape fits on the team perfectly, and adds an extra 5000 badass points. Overheat is preferred over flare blitz, due to the lack of massive recoil, and due to rocky helm shit. Close Combat is a ridiculously powerful STAB, and Stone Edge is great for coverage. I love Gunk Shot for those annoying fairies, they never see it coming :).

Nuke #6

Drax the Destroyer (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

I wanted another scarf user, and an immunity to ground moves, since I had two ground weaknesses. Lando-t works here nicely. I used to run Stealth Rock > Knock Off, but I don't like wasting a turn on that.

There it is, my Nuclear Offense team. Feel free to play around with it, it's definitely an interesting strategy. Thanks for reading!

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Kyurem-Black @ Expert Belt
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

This is certainly a very interesting team. I had a challenge of battling with a team of all choiced Pokemon once and it looked something like this.
One change that I might make right off the bat is giving Starmie Recover > Psyshock. You have plenty of Psychic coverage and I think your Starmie could use some longevity in order to keep hazards off of you side of the field. I'm guessing you still switch during battles and since none of your Pokemon are EV'd with bulk, it'd be helpful to have a relatively clear field.

Anyways, onto each Pokemon:

There's nothing to say about Mega Gard. It's like the definition of a nuke in this Meta right now. And this set brings out that power very nicely.

For Victini is there any reason you chose Jolly even though you're Scarfed? You should be able to outspeed most non-scarfed Pokemon and the extra damage output will surely help. Unless you're afraid of a mirror match, though most Victinis are Banded. But that's not really a big change anyways.

Again there's nothing really to say about this Kyurem-B set.

As I said earlier, I think it would be better to add Recover to Starmie instead of Psyshock. Kyurem-B and Victini both don't appreciate Rocks and neither will the rest of your team. Also, with the Life Orb and a lot of switching into Hazards in order to remove them puts quite a lot of pressure on Starmie to last. So I think you can still keep the EVs the way they are now, or maybe a little extra bulk, that way it can still sort of wreck shit.

For Infernape, the one suggestion that I would make is to have one of its moves be Mach Punch. You don't have any forms of priority on this team really, so Mach Punch could really help with any revenge killing especially against DD sweepers. As for which move to replace, probably Stone Edge. You've got its coverage pretty much locked down with the rest of your team, maybe with the exception of Flying. Though Lando-T can handle most flyers.

For Landorus, I know you said you wanted another Scarfed user, but I have a set that uses Earth Plate that I use a lot which has extremely powerful nuking potential. Less of a suggestion, just something cool to show you.
Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge/Stealth Rock

That's all I have for now

Good Luck

so the team looks....fun...anyway i know you said natural cure>analytic but analytic is the only thing that actually makes starmie a nuke for example:
Starmie Vs. Heatran
Heatran switches out not wanting to catch a hydro pump
Starmie ends up doing 60% to a rotom wash because of analytic because even though it was faster it TECHNICALLY went last therefore getting extra damage and nuking...unless of course you follow WillIXL's advice and end up going down the bulkier path anyways good luck nuking (and nice guardians of the galaxy references btw)

If you really wanted to fuck stall in the ass, you could've just built around Zone + Diggersby + Gardevoir.
Infernape really isn't strong enough to break anything (maybe Skarmory :] ), replace it with something that can actually dent stall. (BISHARP)
Fun team nonetheless.

Perennial

amol selseila
problems I notice:

no steel - this is an issue because without a durable one your team becomes very vulnerable to fairies. while you do have Victini as a fairy resistance, her weakness to SR limits the amount of times she can come in threats like Gardevoir and Clefable, making her an unreliable answer. DD Mega Altaria also threatens a good portion of your team upon set up, which she can do easily on Victini and your Landorus-T depending on the move they're locked into. Latios is also problematic since Draco nukes everything except Gardevoir, who takes a good chunk from Psyshock with SR up.

no SR - SR is a necessity. this is especially true for offensive teams since they appreciate the consistent chip damage the hazard provides and the limitations it places on common threats to the playstyle, like Thundurus-I and especially Talonflame, who you have serious problems with otherwise

Bisharp - while her set up opportunities are limited, she does have some places to SD, such as a locked Outrage from Kyurem-B or locked resisted move from Landorus-T. Infernape doesn't address the Bisharp problem because at +2, Jolly Bisharp's Sucker Punch is dealing 74.4 - 87.7%. in normal battle conditions, your Infernape likely has already taken a little prior damage so she isn't a reliable answer.

Keldeo - 4/5 of your team is hit super effectively by Scald and Secret Sword while the fifth is slower. on top of being vulnerable to Pursuit, your main answer, Starmie, has no recovery and is worn down quickly.

suggestions to address them:

using Heatran over Victini - as cool as Victini is I think Heatran outclasses her on this build. Heatran's steel typing is extremely valuable for your team, providing a more reliable check to the likes of Clefable and Altaria lacking EQ. additionally, Heatran can provide SR for your team and keep dangerous threats like Talonflame at bay, addressing the majority of your issues in one slot.

considering a Belly Drum Chesnaught over Infernape - this gives you a fun option to continue the offensive theme of your build while also providing you with a Bisharp answer and semi Keldeo check. you have opportunities to set up after your Starmie is killed by a Pursuit, for example. the reason I recommend this over Infernape is because her typing doesn't mesh well with the team, stacking weaknesses and being redundant with the introduction of Heatran.

other recommendations:
  • Timid on Gardevoir. the extra power from Modest is tempting, but there's far too much you become slower than by using Modest, such as positive natured Kyurem-B, invested Manaphy, Timid Charizard-Y and so on. you already hit extremely hard with Timid and the added speed can be a life saver.
  • contemplate HP Fire over Outrage on Kyurem-B. Outrage doesn't hit much that isn't already covered by your other moves and using HP Fire gives you a way to lure in Scizor, which your Gardevoir will appreciate. you also lure Ferrothorn, something offensive Starmie enjoys eliminated. consider Assault Vest over Expert Belt. in all honestly, Expert Belt isn't helping you get any extra kills unlike Life Orb, and since you don't want the recoil, AV is a great option. with the item your Kyurem-B can now take hits she normally wouldn't, such as Gengar's Focus Blast, and kill back.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

the speed makes you faster than most variants of offensive Scizor, who would otherwise be threatening. Taunt to primarily check Clefable and Toxic to check Talonflame and cripple common switch ins like Rotom-W.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

EVs make you faster than Alakazam and other base 120s while 12 HP lets you activate Salac after a Sub and Drum. provides you with a fun win condition able to keep some of the threats you're weak to in check. finally, Timid on Gardevoir and Assault Vest on Kyurem-B for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)