Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I believe that it would be like any hacked ability: it just resets it to whatever would be the default for that Pokemon. I think it's based specifically on personality value

I'm less sure how this works, I'm not even sure you can trade or do anything with the debug copy at all.
But I assume one of 3 things:
1. if the ribbon didn't even have an image, it's probably just scrubbed on transfer
2. if the ribbon did have an image, and only the text differed, then it's probably kept
3. If the ribbon had an image, it's possible it got overwritten by another ribbon and would likely kept the text. I know at least one of the unused gen 3/4 ribbons got replaced internally, I imagine that applied to others

e: OK I did a little more digging and might have an actual answer
If this is referring to the Mystery Event that awarded ribbons, then how those worked is it paired text with a Ribbon (Gen 3 had a lot of writable stuff like this, which is interesting). There were only 7 ribbons but a lot of different text it could assign to them. Gen 4 kept those ribbons, so if you hacked them in they should keep moving forward, but Gen 5 did indeed change some of the ribbons and their associated text. Marine Ribbon turned into the Battle Champion ribbon, for example.
Ironically some of the replacements were ALSO never used, but they not only still kick around the code they even give proper titles if you apply them.
Ah I wasn't sure if it was scrubbed or was one of those that would turn into one of the master ribbons! That's cool then, I guess it is "kept" in a sense in that case.

And I believe it should be possible to trade/battle/transfer from debug copies: it's basically a regular copy of the game just with a few extra bits of code available. You can activate debug mode on retail copies of various games if you know how (I'm a long-time Jak and Daxter player and a button combination activating a limited debug mode was discovered a few years ago); to the best of my knowledge it's not possible on unmodified retail cartridges but it's not really my area.

if a Pokemon were hacked to have the unused Cacophony ability and transferred through Pal Park (assuming that's possible and the transfer isn't blocked) what ability would it have upon capture in Gen IV?
Cacophony in Gen 3 was ability #76 internally, between Shell Armor (#75) and Air Lock (then #77). In Gen 4, when Cacophony was removed, Air Lock was shuffled back into slot #76, so if it didn't get overwritten with the correct ability for its species and PID, it would probably become Air Lock.

QuentinQuonce

Just used Perish Song in a double battle in which a Giratina was present; it used Shadow Force and disappeared, so Perish Song didn't affect it.

Fittingly, Bulbapedia's move description says that Perish Song affects all Pokemon "on the field", but I was under the impression that the invulnerable turn of Fly, Bounce, etc didn't block the move. This is presumably something that was changed between generations - anyone know where to find a more in-depth analysis of Perish Song mechanics? Smogon and Bulbapedia's pages on the move are frustratingly shallow.

EDIT: Didn't get/couldn't find an answer so I just tested this myself with Bounce - the invulnerable turn blocks Perish Song from affecting you. I cannot believe I didn't know about this before, I've been running a Perish Song team in the Subway for fucking weeks!!

Last edited:
if I stop paying the Nintendo Online fees, what happens to my pokemon in the pokebank? Do I not get to access them anymore? Are they deleted?
  1. Nintendo Online and Pokémon Home fees are completely separate.
  2. Pokémon Bank is the 3DS application, it has no connection to Nintendo Online.
  3. Assuming you actually meant Pokémon Home in both of those cases; the Pokémon aren't deleted, but you can only access the ones in Home's first box.
  4. If you didn't, nothing will happen to your Pokémon in Pokémon Bank if you stop paying for NSO.

Assuming you actually meant Pokémon Home in both of those cases; the Pokémon aren't deleted, but you can only access the ones in Home's first box.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it like, you can take off the pokemon in other boxes regardless, but only deposit in the first one?

Yes my understanding is that you can always take them out, in both Bank and Home, just not put them in (at all with Bank, anything other than the first box in Home) until you reup the sub.

I think Bank would delete your Pokemon eventually, but reports were kind of hit or miss. I definitely saw people say they were able ot still retrieve or reup their subs years after letting it lapse and find all their Pokemon still there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it like, you can take off the pokemon in other boxes regardless, but only deposit in the first one?
Yes my understanding is that you can always take them out, in both Bank and Home, just not put them in (at all with Bank, anything other than the first box in Home) until you reup the sub.
Nope, you can only access the 30 most recent Pokémon.
Bulbapedia

Oh, interesting, though this tecnically means you are indeed able to pull out all the pokemon from Home nontheless, assuming that it would always show the "most recent 30" :smogthink:
At least with the Plan on, that is how the Recent 30 works. You take them out and next time you go in it updates the listing to whatever the next 30 is (or fill in how many you took out before).

This being their very roundabout solution to lapsing subs would fit the rest of Home's jank.

I have a question about Union Circle in SV.

Is it possible for someone without NSO to join the Union Circle of someone who has it?

Scenario is: A friend of mine has two Switches, his one with NSO, and his son's without. I want to help them with the Mewtwo raid, can my friend create a Union Circle, and have both me (via internet) and his son (via local net) join it?

I have a question about Union Circle in SV.

Is it possible for someone without NSO to join the Union Circle of someone who has it?

Scenario is: A friend of mine has two Switches, his one with NSO, and his son's without. I want to help them with the Mewtwo raid, can my friend create a Union Circle, and have both me (via internet) and his son (via local net) join it?
No, you can only have people join via internet or local, not both.

I don't think this is possible, but I may have missed something, but is there a way in SWSH to check with Legendary Pokemon we've encountered in Dynamax Adventures?

Since they don't register to your Pokedex I'm having a hard time of tracking what I've actually caught - I'm essentially trying to get Cresselia but I can't remember if I encountered it right at the start (Before I started Apriballing) and caught it and somehow got rid of it.

I only have 2 Cresselia's in HOME, the PLA one and some shiny dive ball one from Gen 4 which is probably hacked lol so I definitely haven't caught it and stored it away, but I'm just wondering if we can actually check for "what's left" or is it just a case of going through it constantly and hoping for it?

I don't think this is possible, but I may have missed something, but is there a way in SWSH to check with Legendary Pokemon we've encountered in Dynamax Adventures?

Since they don't register to your Pokedex I'm having a hard time of tracking what I've actually caught - I'm essentially trying to get Cresselia but I can't remember if I encountered it right at the start (Before I started Apriballing) and caught it and somehow got rid of it.

I only have 2 Cresselia's in HOME, the PLA one and some shiny dive ball one from Gen 4 which is probably hacked lol so I definitely haven't caught it and stored it away, but I'm just wondering if we can actually check for "what's left" or is it just a case of going through it constantly and hoping for it?
There's no way to check that I'm aware of.
When I was clearing out the Adventures I just kept them all in one box and kept a notebook to see how many I still needed.

It really did feel like the game had a bias to stuff you hadn't captured yet but that's probably just confirmation bias .

Until you've actually caught all of them it won't repeat ones you've already caught unless you put that Pokémon at the front of your party before starting one.

You cannot take Pokemon out of Bank without a pass either.

Until you've actually caught all of them it won't repeat ones you've already caught unless you put that Pokémon at the front of your party before starting one.
What does this mean? Can you force a repeat early by putting another of that same Pokemon at the front of your party? That sounds like a strange rule.

You cannot take Pokemon out of Bank without a pass either.
You no longer need a pass for Bank since the eShop shutdown.
What does this mean? Can you force a repeat early by putting another of that same Pokemon at the front of your party? That sounds like a strange rule.
Yes, it's primarily so you can force it so your friends playing the opposite version can get their own copy of the version exclusive ones.

I vaguely recall at some point someone mentioning that there is a way to use Pokemon Home to pass pokemon between two accounts on the same Switch.
Es, if i wanted to start a new game on a new account, and then take the starter and move it to Home and then to my main account.

Was this an actual thing or did I dream it?
If it's a thing, how's it done?

I vaguely recall at some point someone mentioning that there is a way to use Pokemon Home to pass pokemon between two accounts on the same Switch.
Es, if i wanted to start a new game on a new account, and then take the starter and move it to Home and then to my main account.

Was this an actual thing or did I dream it?
If it's a thing, how's it done?
Yes, I've moved mons between profiles on Violet between my two profiles quite a few times. I don't have my Switch in front of me, but once you log into Home on your Switch there is a spot near the top (top right I think) that lets you select what profile you want to use. So log into the first profile, put the mon into home, save and go back then switch to the other profile go back into home boxes and move into your other profile. It's pretty simple to do, and hopefully my explanation doesn't make it more difficult...

Yes, I've moved mons between profiles on Violet between my two profiles quite a few times. I don't have my Switch in front of me, but once you log into Home on your Switch there is a spot near the top (top right I think) that lets you select what profile you want to use. So log into the first profile, put the mon into home, save and go back then switch to the other profile go back into home boxes and move into your other profile. It's pretty simple to do, and hopefully my explanation doesn't make it more difficult...
You've got it right, yeah. The spot to change it is when you're selecting a game to connect to, the profile name will be up above the games proper.

The account doesn't need a nintendo account or anything either.

QuentinQuonce

Quick question re Gen IV's Frontier as there's something I'm interested in trying:

Obviously you can do multi battles with another player in the Frontier facilities - but regarding the Tower specifically, if a copy of DP were to link and partner with a copy of Platinum or HGSS, how does this affect trainer rosters? Would they be drawn from the Frontier pool, the DP Tower pool, or a mix of both?

Quick question re Gen IV's Frontier as there's something I'm interested in trying:

Obviously you can do multi battles with another player in the Frontier facilities - but regarding the Tower specifically, if a copy of DP were to link and partner with a copy of Platinum or HGSS, how does this affect trainer rosters? Would they be drawn from the Frontier pool, the DP Tower pool, or a mix of both?
DP pool, in fact HGSS even has all the Sinnoh exclusive trainer classes, sprites and all, for just such an occasion. Similarly if HGSS links to Platinum it will pull from the Platinum rosters.

QuentinQuonce

DP pool, in fact HGSS even has all the Sinnoh exclusive trainer classes, sprites and all, for just such an occasion. Similarly if HGSS links to Platinum it will pull from the Platinum rosters.
Excellent, thanks. Platinum and HGSS sets are identical aren't they (or do you just mean it uses Platinum sprites)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)