Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

What the heck even is Garganacl doing with Salt Cure? Like, its battle animation looks like it's covering the opponent in a layer of crystallized salt, but why does that hurt them? Its dex entry says that pokemon that lick the salt are healed! Does the Garganacl have a type of corrosive salt that's different from what its body is made of? Why does it damage water- and steel-types more? Water sort of makes sense since it might upset the balance of salt in a fish's body, but what about water types that don't have gills (Samurott, Rotom, the fucking ROBOT IRON BUNDLE) and therefore don't absorb the salt into them? And what about steel types? Unless they ingest the salt and eat too much of it they shouldn't be affected at all! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST MAKE SENSE?

I actually kind of unironically want an answer to the first question if anybody has any insight.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What the heck even is Garganacl doing with Salt Cure? Like, its battle animation looks like it's covering the opponent in a layer of crystallized salt, but why does that hurt them? Its dex entry says that pokemon that lick the salt are healed! Does the Garganacl have a type of corrosive salt that's different from what its body is made of? Why does it damage water- and steel-types more? Water sort of makes sense since it might upset the balance of salt in a fish's body, but what about water types that don't have gills (Samurott, Rotom, the fucking ROBOT IRON BUNDLE) and therefore don't absorb the salt into them? And what about steel types? Unless they ingest the salt and eat too much of it they shouldn't be affected at all! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST MAKE SENSE?

I actually kind of unironically want an answer to the first question if anybody has any insight.
Well, first note the definition of "cure" they're using. They don't mean healing, rather the "cure" that is being used here means "preserving (meat, fish, tobacco, or an animal skin) by various methods such as salting, drying, or smoking". Garganacl is bathing the target in salt which, depending on whether the target is organic or mineral, is drying them out or at the very least absorbing any moisture and nutrients causing it to stiffen/rust. Note the Japanese name of the move is "Salt Pickling".

As you noted, it's additionally Super Effective against Water-types as drying them out is especially bad.

As for Steel-types, salt (normally in a solution but this is magical salt we're talking about) hastens the rusting process. For a more indepth answer: "Salt, or more particularly, salt solution, can hasten the rusting process by acting as an electrolyte, allowing the metal (iron) to lose electrons more quickly. Rusting is caused by a chemical process called as oxidation, in which metal atoms lose electrons and produce ions".

I think you asked this in the DLC thread and I am pretty sure what you're talking about was leakers confusing how the Home move reminder worked
Yes I did but I reposted it here because nobody replied. Is the HOME tutor able to re teach event moves now?

In base game, the Antique Sinistea are kind of really annoying as far as 1% encounters go. Of the three areas Sinistea spawned it was specifically only the fields near Tulip's town. Not the nearby ruins and not hte other side of Paldea
Also, if you used encounter powers, it would just not spawn them at all.
Further more, if there was a sinistea outbreak it would always default to normal sinistea (similar things happen with flabebe and tatsugiri outbreaks)

I also don't think there were raids for them either

But for Poltchageist, I know that at least 6* Raids have a chance at spawning Sinistcha with a masterpiece (I still assume that's at 1%). Does anyone know if the other stuff still applies? Can they spawn anywhere Poltchageist spawn or only specific bamboo thickets, can I use encounter powers, do outbreaks work properly...

In base game, the Antique Sinistea are kind of really annoying as far as 1% encounters go. Of the three areas Sinistea spawned it was specifically only the fields near Tulip's town. Not the nearby ruins and not hte other side of Paldea
Further more, if there was a sinistea outbreak it would always default to normal sinistea (similar things happen with flabebe and tatsugiri outbreaks)

But for Poltchageist, I know that at least 6* Raids have a chance at spawning Sinistcha with a masterpiece (I still assume that's at 1%). Does anyone know if the other stuff still applies? Can they spawn anywhere Poltchageist spawn or only specific bamboo thickets, can I use encounter powers, do outbreaks work properly...
Outbreaks only spawning one form is "working properly" it might not be what people want, but it is the intended behavior.

Outbreaks only spawning one form is "working properly" it might not be what people want, but it is the intended behavior.
The outbreak bug was literally fixed this patch, as well as the off by one bug for Antique Sinistea with Encounter Power.

"Due to a programming error, Chikorita is not required in order to receive the Diploma in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire."

???????
What error did they make that specifically Chikorita isn't needed to complete the National Dex?

"Due to a programming error, Chikorita is not required in order to receive the Diploma in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire."

???????
What error did they make that specifically Chikorita isn't needed to complete the National Dex?
https://github.com/pret/pokeruby/blob/9e017b2e37403ea9e1b58faafbba6c8182dd10a6/src/pokedex.c#L4104
When checking Pokedex flags (starting from 0), the game counts from 0 up to but not including 150 (Mew), and then starts a new count but starts it from 152, which inadvertently skips Chikorita at 151 as well.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Huh - I actually had no idea regarding this for the Sinistea location - fortunately I was searching for my antiques near Alfornada anyway, as I found them easiest to spawn.

https://github.com/pret/pokeruby/blob/9e017b2e37403ea9e1b58faafbba6c8182dd10a6/src/pokedex.c#L4104
When checking Pokedex flags (starting from 0), the game counts from 0 up to but not including 150 (Mew), and then starts a new count but starts it from 152, which inadvertently skips Chikorita at 151 as well.
Ah, so maybe they had 2 people coding (or one for each Gen) and they just put the normal Pokedex number but not the internal number s which start at 0 rather than 1. Thats funny lol.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Anyone know where I can find a page with shiny renders/sprites for all the new DLC species?

Idly searching the GTS to see if there are any shiny Sinischa/Poltchageist floating around, but I've actually got no idea what they look like and/or whether they're ones that are annoyingly hard to spot from the tiny icons in Home, like Maushold or Ceruledge.

Also WOW I don't think I've seen Koraidon's shiny form until now, it's gorgeous.

Anyone know where I can find a page with shiny renders/sprites for all the new DLC species?

Idly searching the GTS to see if there are any shiny Sinischa/Poltchageist floating around, but I've actually got no idea what they look like and/or whether they're ones that are annoyingly hard to spot from the tiny icons in Home, like Maushold or Ceruledge.

Also WOW I don't think I've seen Koraidon's shiny form until now, it's gorgeous.
Well bulbapedia should have them now I think, and the one that was floating around pre-release got copyright nuked, but Matt's got an asset archive

Sinistcha line is relatively obvious change from black markings to green (unless you're trying to see it in the wild in game in which case it is neigh impossible). Dipplin is super obvious, it's gold.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Well bulbapedia should have them now I think, and the one that was floating around pre-release got copyright nuked, but Matt's got an asset archive

Sinistcha line is relatively obvious change from black markings to green (unless you're trying to see it in the wild in game in which case it is neigh impossible). Dipplin is super obvious, it's gold.
Yeah most of the pages I found had links that were already down. Fab, that works.

I also found this:
This is exactly what I was looking for, ty!

Wow, most of these really stink...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)