Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

In Pokémon FireRed Version, I earned the Earth Badge, and I would like my Haunter to evolve before we challenge the Pokémon League. Generation III Pokémon games are far from current; is there a practical way to evolve Haunter short of buying a second Game Boy Advance?

In Pokémon FireRed Version, I earned the Earth Badge, and I would like my Haunter to evolve before we challenge the Pokémon League. Generation III Pokémon games are far from current; is there a practical way to evolve Haunter short of buying a second Game Boy Advance?
Your only options are trading with another GBA, trading with the GBA Player, or trading with Colosseum/XD (have to beat them first)

If you were playing on emulator you could at least use a second one of those, but it sounds like you're playing physical (& I imagine swapping the file to emulator would be about as involved a process as the above anyway...)

Your only options are trading with another GBA, trading with the GBA Player, or trading with Colosseum/XD (have to beat them first)

If you were playing on emulator you could at least use a second one of those, but it sounds like you're playing physical (& I imagine swapping the file to emulator would be about as involved a process as the above anyway...)
I am playing a physical copy; I apologize for not clarifying. Does "GBA Player" refer to another player with a Generation III game, or a peripheral device? I thought of visiting a VGC Play! Pokémon Event, but I am not sure if there is regular interest in Generation III games.

I am playing a physical copy; I apologize for not clarifying. Does "GBA Player" refer to another player with a Generation III game, or a peripheral device? I thought of visiting a VGC Play! Pokémon Event, but I am not sure if there is regular interest in Generation III games.
The GBA Player is the peripheral for the gamecube that lets you play GBA games (& GB games), though my mistake it's called "GameBoy Player" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Player

I think there's always folks who like the Gen 3 games and probably bring them for side events but you'd probably still have to check and see if any community is doing that.

I haven't assembled a team to try the Gen 8 or Gen 9 Ranked Battle mode.

What are the rules as far as Pokémon selection goes? Are you allowed one (or more) restricted Pokémon per team?
Gen 9 is currently limited by regulation, currently we are on Regulation F https://serebii.net/scarletviolet/rankedbattle/regulationf.shtml .
Restricted Pokemon haven't entered the format yet (I assume they will in Regulation G)

Gen 8 is in its "end of life" series, so you can take 2 restricted Pokemon with you. Please note that unlike Gen 9, you do need to have either the Galar Mark or the Battle Ready Mark (wipes the moveset, but allows non-Galar Pokemon to participate; you can find the NPC to do this at the Battle Tower)
https://serebii.net/swordshield/rankedbattle/series14.shtml

Thanks!

Now, when you say "wipes the moveset" do you mean it literally removes moves? Because I have a Lugia that has held onto Psycho Boost + Featherdance since XD. If I have to delete those moves to enter Ranked Battles, I may just not try to get the Master Rank Ribbon.
Yes, it removes the moves. The point of the Battle Ready Mark is to remove any transfer moves while allowing non-Galar pokemon to be legal for the official battles

Please note that you're going to have to say good bye to the Psycho Boost & Feather Dance anyway; BDSP & SV refresh the moveset as well, and presumably every game moving forward. The only difference is Home will remember it was in the moveset before being placed in those games, so you could still use it in SWSH provided you don't get the mark (or delete the moves manually, I guess).

Pokémon participating in Battle Mansion battles are set to Level 50. I assume a stat increases a point for every 8 Effort Value. In this case, would an Effort Value spread of 248, 248, 8 or 168, 168, 168 be more efficient than 252, 252, 4?

Pokémon participating in Battle Mansion battles are set to Level 50. I assume a stat increases a point for every 8 Effort Value. In this case, would an Effort Value spread of 248, 248, 8 or 168, 168, 168 be more efficient than 252, 252, 4?
This depends on whether you have even or odd IVs, since the IV is added to the EV/4 before they are multiplied by the level/100 (i.e. halved at level 50). If your primary stats are max IVs (31), 252 EVs will still produce a higher final value than 248 EVs.

So I know we can't trade hacked mons here, but can we discuss teams we hacked in to beat a battle facility? For my case at least, it 100% legal. All gened mons with 100% legal movesets, abilities, etc.

edit: Im realizing that this thread is not for asking questions like this, but I'm gonna keep it up anyways cause I really want an answer regardless

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
So I know we can't trade hacked mons here, but can we discuss teams we hacked in to beat a battle facility? For my case at least, it 100% legal. All gened mons with 100% legal movesets, abilities, etc.

edit: Im realizing that this thread is not for asking questions like this, but I'm gonna keep it up anyways cause I really want an answer regardless
What is the actual information you want to know? I think pretty much all questions are allowed, I've asked theoretical questions about hacking/glitches before

I don't think any of the battle facility threads have the pokemon FBI knocking on your door to inspect how legal your team was so I think that if you had just said nothing it would be impossible to know you hacked in a team (especially if said team was otherwise legal)

What is the actual information you want to know? I think pretty much all questions are allowed, I've asked theoretical questions about hacking/glitches before
There was a period of time when I played VGC competitively (around 2011 or earlier) during which users couldn't mention that their device-cloned Pokémon were getting through tournament screenings. I was told something to the effect that any topic that could bring up 3rd party devices was not allowable. It was a long time ago, so one could reasonably doubt the reality of the strict policies I'm representing Smogon as having had back then, but I'm fairly sure I wasn't allowed to say Pokémon cloned by a 3rd party device were getting through tournament screens.

Hello, I hope this is the right place to put this. I would like to know if Poltchageist-Artisan can learn the moves Curse, Pain Split, and Psych Up via TM in-game. I ask because Smogon's teambuilder currently lists all three as unavailable for Artisan form but available for the standard form. I haven't found any evidence of this difference elsewhere online, and there is no difference for Sinistcha, so it seems strange that there might be a difference here. I can file a bug report to get the movesets fixed (potentially affecting formats like Challenge Cup), but I'd like to get some confirmation before possibly embarrassing myself. Thank you for the help.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hello, I hope this is the right place to put this. I would like to know if Poltchageist-Artisan can learn the moves Curse, Pain Split, and Psych Up via TM in-game. I ask because Smogon's teambuilder currently lists all three as unavailable for Artisan form but available for the standard form. I haven't found any evidence of this difference elsewhere online, and there is no difference for Sinistcha, so it seems strange that there might be a difference here. I can file a bug report to get the movesets fixed (potentially affecting formats like Challenge Cup), but I'd like to get some confirmation before possibly embarrassing myself. Thank you for the help.
It’s a bug, feel free to file the report I think. They won’t be mad if it’s wrong anyway.

It's a long shot, but have a question about Pinball RS. If anywhere can answer it, I imagine it'd be here.

I recently started playing this on bus rides on my phone emulator. Are the Johto starters and Aerodactyl really available in the Ruby field? When I google it all I get are, like, forum threads and Gamefaqs guides from 2006 and they can't seem to agree whether it is actually a rare encounter or if they require E-cards to be catchable. Obviously we had no source codes back then, so it's all hearsay. The main series games ofc get more attention, but it's still surprising that there seems to be no reliable information anywhere about this game. Does anyone actually know/has looked at the code?

It's a long shot, but have a question about Pinball RS. If anywhere can answer it, I imagine it'd be here.

I recently started playing this on bus rides on my phone emulator. Are the Johto starters and Aerodactyl really available in the Ruby field? When I google it all I get are, like, forum threads and Gamefaqs guides from 2006 and they can't seem to agree whether it is actually a rare encounter or if they require E-cards to be catchable. Obviously we had no source codes back then, so it's all hearsay. The main series games ofc get more attention, but it's still surprising that there seems to be no reliable information anywhere about this game. Does anyone actually know/has looked at the code?
They're just avaliable normally, Pinball RS didn't have eReader functionality.

For the second part, it definitely does: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Pinball:_Ruby_&_Sapphire#e-Reader_Room

For the former, have you seen or caught it? There's a distinct lack of any screenshots or videos showing, say, Aerodactyl being encountered or caught, and people showing their full Pokedexes never have one of the 4. You'd think someone would've encountered and documented it, but I haven't seen it. One source says there's a %0,25 chance, which works out to 1/400, so 20 times more common than shinies, and we have plenty documentation of shinies in mainline games. It gives me "Jirachi in Mosdeep Space Center" vibes, in that you have people insisting it's possible and a friend has done it, but there's nothing concrete. That's why I asked if anyone has looked at the code or knows for sure.

For the second part, it definitely does: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Pinball:_Ruby_&_Sapphire#e-Reader_Room

For the former, have you seen or caught it? There's a distinct lack of any screenshots or videos showing, say, Aerodactyl being encountered or caught, and people showing their full Pokedexes never have one of the 4. You'd think someone would've encountered and documented it, but I haven't seen it. One source says there's a %0,25 chance, which works out to 1/400, so 20 times more common than shinies, and we have plenty documentation of shinies in mainline games. It gives me "Jirachi in Mosdeep Space Center" vibes, in that you have people insisting it's possible and a friend has done it, but there's nothing concrete. That's why I asked if anyone has looked at the code or knows for sure.
They can definitely spawn without the eReader, I have personally seen them. And only the Japanese version had eReader support.

It's impossible. The starters and Aerodactyl are only available when you have their pokedex seen flag already registered and are also triggered under the same conditions as the Latis, requiring 100 pokedex entries and 5 pokemon caught. As you note, there has been extensive documentation and speedrun/RNG manipulation guides for the game, and someone by chance would have found the mons already if they can naturally spawn.

Sources:
100% speedrun guide in plain English: https://pastebin.com/N8YWnpij
Pinball RS decomp: https://github.com/pret/pokepinball...c1287995fc2ee496619d07ff8/src/rom_3219C.c#L50

1707751337515.png

The ereader card allows all bonus species to be rolled for naturally.

1707751462035.png

Otherwise, the mons can only be chosen to spawn if they already have their pokedex seen flag set (and also fulfilling the requirements for rand == 0 after modulus 100, being a 1% chance normally). Having the ereader bonus seems to make this a 2% chance by taking modulus 50 instead, and the speedrun guide also refers to this as the Rayquaza bonus rate.

1707751558407.png

Otherwise, it falls out to Latios/Latias depending on the field. If unk598 isn't set/no mon is specifically chosen (every special mon available is already caught), then it will choose randomly out of the specialMons array.

1707751638980.png

If you don't fulfill the Lati requirement of the 1% chance and having the 5 pokemon, you roll for a rare mon in the area instead.

Game definitely has e-Reader functionality, the cards aren't released but the menu exists. I've been working on translating the cards for the game as one of a few projects rn. I've actually got the special encounter card to work on english and have caught them that way. Otherwise, the post before me is correct, they can't appear unless they've already been encountered. The card needs to have its text translated to not be a garbled mess before I figure out what I'm doing with it. E-Reader card also seems to rig the first encounter of a new game to be one of the ones on the card you don't have yet. So its more efficient to just catch it and start a new round after scanning the card again, having 100 caught is not required for the new game spawn either.

1707758570974.jpeg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)