Other Pre-DLC SV Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, its nice to know I'm not alone in the sentiment that scald is an unhealthy move and hates it. I thought that was one of the better things they got right this generation limiting it to volcanion. Dare I say, maybe we will see the return of hidden power?

My opinions on various banned mons (not mons that were banned from the start, also, rant warning)
Chi-Yu: an overheat from the specs variant under sun without Tera could potentially 1 shot toxapex, or at least severely damage it
Iron Bundle: the Electrodes, Zamazenta, and Regieleki all provide ways of outspeeding the Satan bird, and hoodra, Hoopa-Unbound, and diancie all add some more options to living hits from it, albeit with diancie it's reliant on Hydro Pump missing, which won't always occur, and back when it and Tera were allowed Wo-Chien was actually an alright check to Iron bundle, which gave it a solid niche on grass and potentially dark teams
Palafin: Screw it, base 600 something stat total after switching made it an insane reverse sweeper after a single bulk up, along with getting flip turn making it where it could do damage and switch, that and water is already a stupid strong type even without it and bundle
Single-Strike-Urshifu: Swords dance plus already being very strong, keep it out of monotype
Magearna: I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, this thing deserved the single fastest ban I've ever seen, calm mind shift gear weakness policy stored power was way too good when paired with moonblast/fleur cannon.
Annihilape: definitely on the stronger side due to rage fist rewarding taking damage, which, when paired with weakness policy, solid natural bulk, or even a resto-chesto set allowed rage fist to reach astonishing levels of strength, which, without a strong option to counter it, allowed it to potentially shred through teams, keep it out of the tier.
(Side note, although not banned, I want to talk about Chien-Pao, it has a almost perfect stat spread for the typing it has, high attack and speed, low defenses, along with lowering the defense of the opponent unless it's also Chien-Pao, which allows chien an easier time KO'ing things when paired with swords dance and near perfect coverage in sacred sword and psychic fangs, which help if you decide to forget you have a brain and use a choice band set, which is usually a click to kill option with icicle crash/ice shard, crunch/sucker punch/throat chop, sacred sword/brick break, and psychic fangs, and there are likely many more sets it can run, like weakness policy behind dual screens from grimmsnarl.)

Well, its nice to know I'm not alone in the sentiment that scald is an unhealthy move and hates it. I thought that was one of the better things they got right this generation limiting it to volcanion. Dare I say, maybe we will see the return of hidden power?
Behold, another rant. This rant contains my hottest take about competitive pokemon. Please take the below with a grain of salt
NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. If there is one move I hate more than every other move in the game, hate more than bs abilities and moves like moody and bp, it's hidden power. POKEMON SHOULD NOT GET A FREE COVERAGE MOVE!!!

Sry but I'm very passionate about my opinion on this. Competitive players from pretty much every metagame of various levels have tried their best to convince me otherwise and many have ridiculed me for this opinion, but I will always forever despise this move. The main reason I came back in gen8 and why I rarely play nat dex is because they removed this move in gen 8.

I know people are going to laugh at me for it, if hidden power comes back, I'm quitting. It's as simple as that.

Behold, another rant. This rant contains my hottest take about competitive pokemon. Please take the below with a grain of salt
NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. If there is one move I hate more than every other move in the game, hate more than bs abilities and moves like moody and bp, it's hidden power. POKEMON SHOULD NOT GET A FREE COVERAGE MOVE!!!

Sry but I'm very passionate about my opinion on this. Competitive players from pretty much every metagame of various levels have tried their best to convince me otherwise and many have ridiculed me for this opinion, but I will always forever despise this move. The main reason I came back in gen8 and why I rarely play nat dex is because they removed this move in gen 8.

I know people are going to laugh at me for it, if hidden power comes back, I'm quitting. It's as simple as that.
I really don't think hidden power should be that much of a bother for you. It's been around since forever, I dont think I ever heard anybody say "HP needs to go" Monotype is all about adapting, and building your team around certain metas. When we start banning everything just because people cant adapt, we officially lost all competitiveness. This whole "banning sneasler" thing is absolutely ridiculous. Dire claw is nowhere near a game changer, its easily dealt with. Just an example of course.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Welcome to the Community Compendium!
currently under construction, pardon our dust
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Glue Compendium?

For my first project in the Monotype community, I decided to research glue. Now I'm not an engineering major or anything - "glue" is a catch-all term for a mon that keeps a team together. Think Gholdengo on Ghost, Corviknight on Flying, Iron Hands on Fighting...you get the point. The Glue Compendium aims to compile these important pieces of every type. I've asked quite a few esteemed users for help as well as newer members of the community, and I plan on making this for every type with the Pokémon itself and a few lines of explanation.

What is the Core Compendium?

After some feedback in the Discord from Aqua Jet, I decided to add another compendium to distinguish between individual 'mons and cores that hold a team together. For example, Steel's immunity trio would be classified as a core in this compendium. Both of these compendiums are open for contribution, and I hope that both of them will help newer players know what Pokémon to use for any type.

What is the Teamstyle Compendium?

The Teamstyle Compendium is essentially the final step towards creating a full-fledged list of Monotype knowledge that isn't the VR. TheWyvernKing pointed out that "one of the issues with the Glue Compendium is that some types can play extremely different variations of a build." So I decided to take his advice and create the teamstyle compendium, which details the best teamstyles and specific Pokémon to put on that style. This is going to be the last thing that's finished - I won't start this until the Glue Compendium is finished. Some 'mons that fit onto only one teamstyle of a type will go here (for example, Volcanion is crucial on Sunless Fire but unnecessary on Sun teams.

Work In Progress, Please Pardon Our Dust

This will be alphabetically organized by type at the end of the project

Glue Compendium
:amoonguss: Amoonguss is vital in the Ground matchup, thanks to having a neutrality to the type along with a threatening STAB Giga Drain. Furthermore, it has a lot of other great attributes, like being able to stay healthy throughout a match thanks to both Synthesis recovery and Regenerator, being able to spread status like sleep with Spore, Toxic, and Paralysis with Stun Spore, and being able to capitalize off said status spreading with either Hex, which also messes with Ghost- and Psychic-types, Stomping Tantrum to fire off a 150 BP attack (by attempting to status an already-statused Pokémon), or Foul Play to hit physical attackers with their own power. | Suggested and written by Pengairxan

:muk-alola: / :overqwil: Poison/Dark is a great defensive typing, as it allows these two Pokémon (along with Skuntank in a more niche role) to find their place on Poison teams. Their primary function is to soak up Psychic-type attacks and retaliate with their Dark STABs, which lets Poison potentially win the Psychic MU with good play. However, all three of the Poison/Darks go about their duties differently. Alolan Muk functions as a great special tank with Assault Vest while providing good utility in the now-limited Knock Off, while Overqwil takes advantage of Poison's ability to spread, well, poison with Barb Barrage, threatening large amounts of damage. Skuntank functions as a midground of sorts, able to use Sucker Punch for priority as well as being a decent attacker in its own right. | Suggested by Pengairxan, written by Dead by Daylight
:gholdengo: Gholdengo is a key part of a good Ghost team. It can either act as a good Choice Scarfer, letting it outpace much of the metagame and deal good damage with its STAB attacks, or be in a more defensive role with Recover + Thunder Wave to help other threats like Flutter Mane and Spectrier shine. It can also effectively run both offensive and defensive Nasty Plot sets, letting it be a key option on Ghost teams through its versatility and great defensive typing. | Suggested by Giyu, written by Dead by Daylight

:zoroark-hisui: Hisuian Zoroark is quite good on Ghost since it provides great utility through Will-o-Wisp, Knock Off, and Illusion, while also being quite powerful with Nasty Plot sets. As a bonus, it also helps enormously with the Ghost ditto, which isn't as common as before Home's arrival but is still quite prevalent in the metagame. Illusion can be used very effectively in certain matchups - for example, when fighting Dark you can disguise as Flutter Mane. Hisuian Zoroark will almost never be useless in a game between spreading burns, disguising as another 'mon, and attacking with its high Special Attack and good Speed tier. | Suggested and written by TheRealBigC
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash is an important part of any Electric team. It's almost the only way Electric has a chance in the Ground matchup, and being immune to every entry hazard but Stealth Rock is always nice. Hydro Pump helps clean Ground up (besides Water Absorb Clodsire, which is always hard to break through), while access to Volt Switch benefits Electric immeasurably. Having Will-o-Wisp to neutralize physical attackers like Zamazenta is great as well. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight

:iron hands: Iron Hands is a fearsome attacker on Electric. Whether or not you're running Electric Terrain, its base 140 Attack lets it make huge dents in the opponent's defensive lines. Not only that, but it gets Volt Switch, which lets it keep momentum against the few non-Ground types that can check it. Iron Hands is a key piece of what makes Electric teams even just viable (they're not very good in my eyes) in this metagame. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight
:abomasnow: Ice has had a rough go of things in Generation 9, but the main benefit that the new generation offered was Snow, which let Ice-types gain a 1.5x boost to their defense while in it. So what better Pokémon to hold everything together than Abomasnow? The snowy tree briefly lost its crown in generations 7 and 8 to Alolan Ninetales, but now after Alolatale's exit from the game, it has taken back its throne in wonderful fashion. Abomasnow's main draw has always been its ability Snow Warning, but it belies some pretty good power - never underestimate the power of Leaf Storm and Blizzard coming off a respectable 92 Attack. Additionally, its bulk is further enhanced by Snow, letting it eat physical attacks and set up Aurora Veil. Speaking of Aurora Veil, it helps Ice so much so that I believe it would be one of the worst types without it (rather than the middle-of-the-road type it is now). If you want a good Ice team, you need Abomasnow (which I learned the hard way when I faced maroon). | Suggested by Leafium Z, written by Dead by Daylight

:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur is an oddity on Ice: an Ice-type that's not weak to Fire, thanks to its part-Dragon typing. Additionally, Thermal Exchange, Dragon Dance, and Earthquake make it able to potentially sweep Fire teams after one Thermal Exchange and Dragon Dance boost. Not only is its defensive utility incredibly useful, its offensive capabilities allow it to win a game for Ice at the drop of a hat. Dragon Dance lets it beat lots of things that could originally take a Glaive Rush, while Glaive Rush itself is powerful enough to break Unawares. Its Ice STAB is always good, considering Ice's naturally good offensive coverage, while the aforementioned Earthquake threatens both Fire- and Steel-types with large damage. It's a crucial pick for viable Ice teams. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:goodra-hisui: Hisuian Goodra was the pickup Dragon needed to maintain relevance. Its Steel neutrality, combined with a base 150 Special Defense, allows Hisuian Goodra to take special attacks unnaturally well. For reference, Hisuian Goodra takes just 23.1-27.5% from Choice Scarf Iron Valiant's Moonblast, which is a massive threat to Dragon teams. Additionally, Hisuian Goodra's Steel STAB greatly helps the Fairy matchup. It also synergizes well with the rest of the type - Dragapult can unleash its attacks on a predicted Fighting-type attack, while Walking Wake can threaten out the Ground types that want to force Hisuian Goodra to switch. | Suggested by Neko and Gorechomp, written by Dead by Daylight

:garchomp: Garchomp has broken holes in opposing teams since the BW days. However, with the ever-rising menace of power creep, it seemed destined to drown in Monotype for the first time...ever. But then, SV gave it Spikes, which let it forge its niche in Dragon teams once more. Garchomp functions incredibly well as a hazard setter - it gets up Spikes and Stealth Rock and can either force a pivot with Dragon Tail or deal great damage with Earthquake, even uninvested. It continues to be a key part of Dragon teams, and probably will be for many more generations to come. | Suggested by Gorechomp, written by Dead by Daylight
:iron treads: / :great tusk: I guess you could call these two the sides of one coin. The Donphans from both the future and the past have found ways onto most Ground teams, and for good reason. Both of them are key for hazard control on Ground teams through Rapid Spin, but they both offer exclusive benefits. Iron Treads has Volt Switch to maintain momentum and form a core with Sandy Shocks, while also having a pretty good typing when compared to Great Tusk. Finally, while their BST is the same, their stat distributions differ. Due to these differences, Iron Treads is faster and has better Special Defense, while Great Tusk is physically bulkier and stronger. However, Great Tusk's versatility is unmatched: it can run a bulky hazard control set, an offensive set with monstrous Earthquakes off that 131 Attack stat, or even a Choice Scarf set with its Speed tier being just good enough to outpace key 'mons such as Chien-Pao while eating its Ice Shard. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight

:clodsire: Clodsire is the main Water Absorber for Ground. It's the main reason, along with Sandy Shocks, why Ground has a fraction of a chance against Water, one of its worst matchups. While its stats aren't good, its combination of attributes (being the only Toxic Spikes setter on Ground, along with having reliable recovery and being a defensive stanchion) make it a key part of Ground teams. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight
:rotom-heat: Rotom-Heat is a good Pokémon to slot in on Fire. Not only does it offer a crucial Ground immunity, its Electric STAB greatly eases the Water matchup, potentially allowing you to win it outright. The set I'd recommend is Choice Scarf in order to gain utility by either Tricking it onto a defensive stalwart (like I did onto Gastrodon) or outspeeding offensive threats. It's a really good 5th or 6th slot, and I personally prefer it over either of the Flying birds. Not to mention, it's key on both Sun and Sunless Fire. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

Here's a replay of Rotom-Heat + Scovillain winning vs. Water.

:heatran: Heatran is a key piece on Fire. It provides quite a few things: on Sun teams, it's the most reliable answer to Flutter Mane while also being able to trap and eliminate Toxapex with Magma Storm + Taunt, while Sunless teams appreciate it for its good typing and ability to set Stealth Rock. It's a good defensive 'mon that can put out quite high amounts of damage and stallbreak, and that's why it's on Fire teams. | Suggested and written by TheWyvernKing

:skeledirge: Skeledirge is another key member of Fire teams. Its ability to burn major threats such as Belly Drum Azumarill and Iron Treads cannot be underestimated, and using Unaware and its great physical bulk, it can potentially win an endgame by itself. Furthermore, Skeledirge can 1v1 more passive defensive Pokémon like Clodsire and Galarian Slowking, which can be a pain for Fire to break through if Cinderace is out of the picture. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:klefki: Klefki has been a key part of all Fairy teams from the beginning of generation 9 to current times. Being able to set Screens provides Fairy with a whole new level of power, enabling threats such as Calm Mind Hatterene and Enamorus-Therian to set up without fearing for their lives. Additionally, Thunder Wave makes Fairy's matchup against offense-oriented teams like Bug, Psychic, and some variants of Flying easier. Finally, Foul Play deals big damage to threats like Scizor and Baxcalibur that may try to take advantage of Klefki's passitivity. | Suggested and written by Uta The Clown
:gastrodon: / :quagsire: These two are critical mons for any Water team, since they provide you with a chance in the Electric matchup and a good check to Electric coverage in general. Even Rain HO structures want them due to their access to hazards and the way they defensively compliment Pelipper. They also both have Water immunity abilities, which is very helpful for Water dittos and dealing with mons like Rotom-W. Of the two, Gastrodon is generally better because of its strong Ice Beam and superior special bulk which is, most of the time, more valuable on Water, but the two are somewhat interchangeable as Quagsire has better physical defense along with Unaware to stop setup sweeping attempts. | Suggested and written by TheRealBigC
:garganacl: Garganacl is what holds Rock together right now. It's annoying to take down, while also providing Rock with a good tool in the Ghost MU (thanks to Purifying Salt halving the damage from Ghost-type attacks). Additionally, it softens opposing teams with Salt Cure, letting its wallbreaking teammates such as Kleavor and Hisuian Arcanine break through much easier. Access to reliable recovery is always great, but it's especially nice on something with this much staying power, especially on a type that utilizes Sand's Special Defense boost. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

:tyranitar: While Tyranitar may have had a fall from grace, it's still a very good option on Rock teams. Chief among its very good pool of attributes is Sand Stream, gifting it and its teammates a 1.5x Special Defense boost (equivalent to a free Assault Vest) and making defensive titans like Garganacl and Tyranitar itself quite difficult to take down. Additionally, its offensive pressure is rather good, adding to a list of positives. While the OU king may have dropped to UU this generation, Rock-type players can be assured that it's a great pick for their team.
:zoroark-hisui:Hisuian Zoroark provides Normal with quite a few invaluable things. On the surface, it's a strong special attacker that can use Illusion to scare out would-be checks by disguising as a threatening physical attacker such as Maushold or Ursaluna. However, it goes further than that - its stellar utility movepool allows it to disrupt the opposing team while doing quite good damage with its Choice Specs sets. What sets it apart, however, is its crucial Fighting immunity, letting it get switch-in opportunities due to the wealth of Fighting coverage. Its Speed tier is quite good as well (at base 110), allowing it to outpace many threats of the metagame. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:kleavor: Bug was gifted Kleavor in Legends Arceus, and that was about the best present the type could've gotten. Kleavor is naturally strong, and being able to put in tons of work in the Fire and Flying matchups, two of the worst matchups (historicaly) for Bug, is invaluable. Stone Axe setting Stealth Rock is nice as well, for a type that can't waste too many turns. Overall, Kleavor is a staple on any viable Bug team, and for good reason. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

:volcarona: Volcarona may be the only reason that Bug has been playable throughout the generation. Its Quiver Dance sets take advantage of Steel-types that try to wall the rest of the type, and it can ether go offensive with a third coverage move or go slightly more bulky with Roost. Either way, it's still a crucial part of Bug teams, and plays well with nearly everything else on them. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:meowscarada: Meowscarada provides quite a few things for Grass teams. It's a good source of speed control, and can keep momentum with U-turn. Additionally, Protean allows Meowscarada to take attacks that it normally wouldn't be able to take. It can be a key part in winning some matchups like Psychic, Grass dittos, and stall Water (thanks to Flower Trick breaking Curse Dondozo). It's an overall good pick, and is worth a teamslot in every Grass team. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:sableye: Sableye finds its place on Dark teams thanks to a combination of a few key factors. Firstly, its defensive typing affords it a valuable immunity to Fighting, letting it scare out physical attackers such as Choice Scarf Galarian Zapdos and Iron Hands with a burn. Speaking of which, Prankster augments Sableye's threat level as it can now get off priority Will-o-Wisps and Recovers, making taking it down a much harder task. Finally, Knock Off is very valuable against bulkier teamstyles, letting Sableye function as a pseudo-stallbreaker with Taunt alongside it. | Suggested by FadedCharm, written by Dead by Daylight
:indeedee: Indeedee sets the Psychic Terrain that makes Psychic viable. It enables the entire type, with key 'mons such as Armarouge, Espathra, and Gallade all relying on Psychic Terrain to either sweep or wallbreak. Additionally, its access to Healing Wish lets it keep momentum. Finally, Choice Scarf provides the team with good Speed control if Espathra can't set up. Overall, it's an important piece on any Psychic team. | Suggested by Bka Onon, written by Dead by Daylight

:espathra: We all know how dangerous Espathra can be. If you give it a few free turns, it can easily sweep an unsuspecting team. Complementing its threat level is the relative absence of Dark-types; if you can break through the one or two Dark-types on a team, it's practically over once Espathra gets set up. Additionally, Stored Power's BP going up so high means Espathra can singlehandedly break through Unaware 'mons that would otherwise stuff it, such as Dondozo, Quagsire, and Skeledirge. It's a threat in every matchup (except Dark, I guess), and should be included on every Psychic team. | Suggested by Bka Onon, written by Dead by Daylight
:thundurus-therian: Thundurus-T has a valuable niche on Flying teams. While it may seem to have competition with Zapdos, Thundurus-T brings a few advantages. Firstly, its Electric immunity is highly valuable, allowing it to switch into Electric-type attacks and regain 25% of its health as a reward. Secondly, it can hit Ground-types hard with Grass Knot, which comes in handy against Sandy Shocks (which Zapdos cannot 1v1). Finally, it is faster and can potentially win the Dark matchup if Focus Blast lands. Overall, it's a good 'mon, and one certainly worth consideration on Flying teams. | Suggested by FadedCharm, written by Dead by Daylight
:kingambit: Kingambit is, as always, a dangerous late-game threat. It's a mandatory pick on Dark, but it does get slept on somewhat as a choice on Steel. It appreciates Heatran trapping and eliminating passive walls that can get in the way of a late-game Kingambit sweep, such as Toxapex or Amoonguss. Additionally, it appreciates Steel as a whole dominating Fairy, meaning that its Kowtow Cleaves and Sucker Punches will, at least most of the time, go unresisted. Finally, it appreciates its Fighting weakness being patched up by Gholdengo, who it also pairs extremely well with. As a chess player (and a King's Gambit addict), I can say that using this 'mon won't disappoint you. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

:klefki: Klefki was the first ever analysis I wrote. Ask Neko and you'll be told just how bad it was. However, it has some valuable traits in this metagame that is worth putting the set of keys on your team. Firstly, Prankster will always be useful, whether it be setting up Spikes or paralyzing stuff with Thunder Wave. However, it gets its mischief from what it does for your team: Prankster Dual Screens is an insane combination, and allows things like Kingambit and (to a lesser extent SD Scizor) to get set up and sweep. It's a really good 'mon. Just don't lose it. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

Core Compendium

:heatran: + :corviknight: + :gholdengo: This generation, the famed Steel Immunity core got better with the addition of Gholdengo. Each one of these 'mons are key parts of what makes Steel such a good defensive type in Monotype. Heatran provides a crucial Fire immunity through Flash Fire, while Corviknight flies above the Ground-type attacks that threaten the type. Finally, the new boy on the block, Gholdengo, replaces Aegislash from SS as a devastating special attacker alongside its naturally good longeivty (due to its great defensive type combination and its access to recovery). Variants of this core have been seen since Heatran's introduction, with Skarmory over Corviknight pre-generation 8 and Aegislash over Gholdengo for generations 7 and 8. | Suggested and first draft by wkxkevin, written by Dead by Daylight
:corviknight: + :dragonite: + :landorus-therian: These three 'mons comprise quite a fearsome trio. While it may not seem like it at first, they complement each other quite nicely. Corviknight is Corviknight: it Defogs Stealth Rock away and pivots into more offensively capable teammates. Dragonite is also Dragonite: it sets up Dragon Dances and sweeps, while appreciating Corviknight's slow U-turns. However, where their synergy is lies in their typing. Finally, Landorus-Therian does Lando-T things: it sets rocks and provides a nice pivot with U-turn. Corviknight provides Dragonite with a crucial Fairy resistance and both it and Landorus-T an Ice neutrality, while Dragonite gives a Fire resistance and a Electric neutrality. Finally, Landorus-T provides both with a key Electric immunity. | Suggested by Neko and TheRealBigC, written by Dead by Daylight
:clodsire: + :quagsire: The two sires of the mud are both especially good when paired together. Clodsire and Quagsire cover each other's weaknesses incredibly well, as Clodsire is a special tank with a neutrality to Grass while Quagsire packs a neutrality to Ice while being Physically bulky. Both have access to a very similar moveset as well, making it a mystery to figure out which one is going to be doing what. But their biggest draw together is their two big abilities, Unaware and Water Absorb. Both provide immense utility to Ground and if you see both at the start of the match it then becomes a massive question of which one is which. Maybe Clodsire is Water Absorb while Quag is Unaware? Maybe it's the other way around? Maybe they're both Water Absorb or both Unaware? Anyway you slice it, these dilemmas can bring up a game-changing situation. | Suggested and written by Pengairxan
:toxapex: + :amoonguss: + :slowking-galar: The controversial Poison immunity core (I am against Stall in principle, as I don't want to waste my time and other people's time - perhaps I may not be the best narrator) returns again this generation. These three cover all the bases of a good defensive core. Toxapex is a great absorber of Fire-type attacks for Amoonguss, while being a decent Knock Off absorber for Galarian Slowking, Amoonguss takes Ground-type attacks for both Toxapex and Glowking, and Galarian Slowking provides Future Sight support as well as being a good special tank for Poison. Adding on to their natural defensive synergy, they all are infuriatingly hard to take down thanks to Regenerator healing off any chip damage they take when they switch out to something that can handle whatever you send out. I hate this core, but Pengairxan likes it (somehow), so they suggested it. Take your pitchforks and torches to them, please. Thanks. | Suggested by Pengairxan, written by Dead by Daylight
:great tusk: + :iron hands: Both these Paradox Pokémon complement each other incredibly well. Great Tusk is Great Tusk - it sets up Stealth Rock to help Fighting teams break down more passive structures, while also being able to keep hazards off the field. Iron Hands provides a perfect foil - not only is it neutral to the Flying-type attacks that threaten the rest of the type, it can also eat Fairy-type attacks that ruin Great Tusk. In return, Great Tusk can threaten Ghost-types such as Skeledirge and Gholdengo that can force Iron Hands out. | Suggested by wkxkevin, written by Dead by Daylight
:quagsire: / :gastrodon: + :toxapex: These three provide a solid defensive backbone for Water to rely on for its prosperity. The Grounds provide an invaluable Electric immunity while providing their own unique defensive utility, with Quagsire being Unaware that it is a physical wall while Gastrodon is a special tank. However, both come with a horrid 4 times weakness to Grass and can be overwhelmed quite easily on their weaker defensive side, which is where Toxapex comes in. Pex can cover these flaws by investing into the opposite defensive stat, using its Poison typing to eat Grass moves and staying healthy by switching out with Regenerator. | Suggested & written by Pengairxan
:meowscarada: + :chien-pao: Both of these 'mons are fast, potent offensive threats in their own right. If put together, however, their offensive prowess reaches nearly unstoppable levels. Meowscarada breaks Water-types such as Dondozo and Quagsire with its Grass STAB, while Chien-Pao easily dispatches of Flying types such as Corviknight and Enamorus with its Ice STAB. Their type pairings go together like peanut butter and jelly, and that's why they are a key core of Dark teams. | Suggested by FadedCharm and Dead by Daylight, written by Dead by Daylight
:lilligant-hisui: + :iron leaves: Both of these strong physical attackers combine well with each other on Grass teams. Hisuian Lilligant's ability to clean weakened teams that Iron Leaves has broken through makes it a good partner, while Hisuian Lilligant's access to Victory Dance + Ice Spinner lets it sweep rather easily once any offensive or defensive checks are removed. It also likes not having to contend with Poison-types, courtesy of Iron Leaves' Psychic STAB. Iron Leaves, on the other hand, is a strong wallbreaker that appreciates Hisuian Lilligant forcing out Flying- and Steel-types. This core can be stopped by Gholdengo and Skeledirge - however, Meowscarada is another good partner to break through those two pesky Ghost-types. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight
:thundurus-therian: + :magnezone: These two Electric-types form a quite underrated combination, covering each others' weaknesses well and threatening huge chunks of damage thanks to their strong Volt Switches and Thunderbolts. Thundurus-T takes on the Ground-types that would otherwise beat Magnezone, such as Great Tusk and Sandy Shocks, thanks to Grass Knot. It also packs a nifty Fighting resistance. In return, Magnezone takes Rock- and Ice-type attacks aimed at Thundurus-T and threatens these types back with its STAB Flash Cannon. | Suggested and written by Dead by Daylight

Teamstyle Compendium

Sun: Where there is a burning hot star made of plasma, there is a fire. Sun teams rely on their insane offensive pressure to overwhelm any defensive checks that they may have. Some key 'mons on Sun-using Fire teams include :scovillain: for its incredibly high offensive potential in Sun, its ability to threaten Water- and Ground-types with its Grass STAB attacks, and Chlorophyll, making it quite hard to outrun. Of course, you also need :torkoal: - not just to set up sun, but also clear hazards and create momentum.

Sunless: Sunless Fire teams sacrifice the obscene power levels of Sun teams, but they receive more teamslot flexibility and defensive core in return. Sunless teams are usually more geared towards balance, but they can also be offensively inclined. :volcanion: is crucial on Sunless teams to absorb Water attacks, while not so much on Sun teams because its Steam Eruption would be weakened significantly.
Hyper-offensive: HO is the style that Psychic teams have to use to be viable this generation. Usually, such a team revolves around :indeedee: setting up Psychic Terrain for one of two sweepers, :armarouge: and :espathra:. :gallade: is crucial to remove Dark-types that can hinder each of their sweeps. Psychic this generation is scary - one wrong hit on Armarouge and suddenly you're facing a +2 Special Attack/+2 Speed behemoth with good STAB moves in Armor Cannon and Expanding Force, while one free turn for Espathra is basically a death sentence in the endgame. For the last slot, you have some options: :azelf: provides a good suicide lead, while :galarian slowking: can function on offense thanks to Toxic Spikes + Chilly Reception.

LIST OF THINGS TO ADD

Glue Compendium

WE ARE DONE!

Core Compendium

Electric: Thundurus-T + Magnezone

Teamstyle Compendium

Fire: Sun (key 'mons: Torkoal, Scovillain) / Sunless (key 'mon: Volcanion)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glue Compendium Contributors
Giyu
Neko
Pengairxan
Leafium Z
Gorechomp
TheRealBigC
TheWyvernKing
Uta The Clown
FadedCharm
Bka Onon

Core Compendium Contributors
wkxkevin
TheRealBigC

Neko
Pengairxan
FadedCharm

Teamstyle Compendium Contributors

Compendium Staff

Dead by Daylight
Neko
Swiffix

If you want to help, just DM me with the Pokémon you'd like to submit, the type, and preferably a short explanation. Help is always appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Glue and Core Compendium!

For my first project in the Monotype community, I decided to research glue. Now I'm not an engineering major or anything - "glue" is a catch-all term for a mon that keeps a team together. Think Gholdengo on Ghost, Corviknight on Flying, Iron Hands on Fighting...you get the point. The Glue Compendium aims to compile these important pieces of every type. I've asked quite a few esteemed users for help, and I plan on making this for every time with the mon itself and a few lines of explanation. So without further ado, here is the Glue Compendium.

After some feedback in the Discord, I decided to add another compendium to distinguish between individual 'mons and cores that hold a team together. For example, Steel's immunity trio would be classified as a core in this compendium. Both of these compendiums are open for contribution, and I hope that both of them will help newer players know what to use for any type.

Glue Compendium
:amoonguss: Amoonguss is vital in the Ground matchup, thanks to having a neutrality to the type along with a threatening STAB Giga Drain. Furthermore, it has a lot of other great attributes, like being able to stay healthy throughout a match thanks to both Synthesis recovery and Regenerator, being able to spread status like sleep with Spore, Toxic, and Paralysis with Stun Spore, and being able to capitalize off said status spreading with either Hex, which also messes with Ghost- and Psychic-types, Stomping Tantrum to fire off a 150 BP attack (by attempting to status an already-statused Pokémon), or Foul Play to hit physical attackers with their own power. | Suggested and written by Pengairxan

:muk-alola: / :overqwil: Poison/Dark is a great defensive typing, as it allows these two Pokémon (along with Skuntank in a more niche role) to find their place on Poison teams. Their primary function is to soak up Psychic-type attacks and retaliate with their Dark STABs, which lets Poison potentially win the Psychic MU with good play. However, all three of the Poison/Darks go about their duties differently. Alolan Muk functions as a great special tank with Assault Vest while providing good utility in the now-limited Knock Off, while Overqwil takes advantage of Poison's ability to spread, well, poison with Barb Barrage, threatening large amounts of damage. Skuntank functions as a midground of sorts, able to use Sucker Punch for priority as well as being a decent attacker in its own right. | Suggested by Pengairxan, written by Dead by Daylight
:gholdengo: Gholdengo is a key part of a good Ghost team. It can either act as a good Choice Scarfer, letting it outpace much of the metagame and deal good damage with its STAB attacks, or be in a more defensive role with Recover + Thunder Wave to help other threats like Flutter Mane and Spectrier shine. It can also effectively run both offensive and defensive Nasty Plot sets, letting it be a key option on Ghost teams through its versatility and great defensive typing. | Suggested by Giyu, written by Dead by Daylight
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash is an important part of any Electric team. It's almost the only way Electric has a chance in the Ground matchup, and being immune to every entry hazard but Stealth Rock is always nice. Hydro Pump helps clean Ground up (besides Water Absorb Clodsire, which is always hard to break through), while access to Volt Switch benefits Electric immeasurably. Having Will-o-Wisp to neutralize physical attackers like Zamazenta is great as well. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight

:iron hands: Iron Hands is a fearsome attacker on Electric. Whether or not you're running Electric Terrain, its base 140 Attack lets it make huge dents in the opponent's defensive lines. Not only that, but it gets Volt Switch, which lets it keep momentum against the few non-Ground types that can check it. Iron Hands is a key piece of what makes Electric teams even just viable (they're not very good in my eyes) in this metagame. | Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight
:abomasnow: Ice has had a rough go of things in Generation 9, but the main benefit that the new generation offered was Snow, which let Ice-types gain a 1.5x boost to their defense while in it. So what better Pokémon to hold everything together than Abomasnow? The snowy tree briefly lost its crown in generations 7 and 8 to Alolan Ninetales, but now after Alolatale's exit from the game, it has taken back its throne in wonderful fashion. Abomasnow's main draw has always been its ability Snow Warning, but it belies some pretty good power - never underestimate the power of Leaf Storm and Blizzard coming off a respectable 92 Attack. Additionally, its bulk is further enhanced by Snow, letting it eat physical attacks and set up Aurora Veil. Speaking of Aurora Veil, it helps Ice so much so that I believe it would be one of the worst types without it (rather than the middle-of-the-road type it is now). If you want a good Ice team, you need Abomasnow (which I learned the hard way when I faced maroon). | Suggested by Leafium Z, written by Dead by Daylight

Core Compendium

:heatran: + :corviknight: + :gholdengo: This generation, the famed Steel Immunity core got better with the addition of Gholdengo. Each one of these 'mons are key parts of what makes Steel such a good defensive type in Monotype. Heatran provides a crucial Fire immunity through Flash Fire, while Corviknight flies above the Ground-type attacks that threaten the type. Finally, the new boy on the block, Gholdengo, replaces Aegislash from SS as a devastating special attacker alongside its naturally good longeivty (due to its great defensive type combination and its access to recovery). Variants of this core have been seen since Heatran's introduction, with Skarmory over Corviknight pre-generation 8 and Aegislash over Gholdengo for generations 7 and 8. | Suggested by wkxkevin, written by Dead by Daylight

LIST OF THINGS TO ADD

Glue Compendium

Ground: Great Tusk/Iron Treads and Clodsire - Suggested by Neko

Ice: Cetitan - Suggested by Leafium Z

Core Compendium

(nothing for now, more cores appreciated!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giyu
Neko
Pengairxan
Leafium Z

wkxkevin

Feel free to contribute! Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far - this wouldn't have happened without your help.
I am now taking notes for the next tournament I go into.

Welcome to the Glue and Core Compendium!

For my first project in the Monotype community, I decided to research glue. Now I'm not an engineering major or anything - "glue" is a catch-all term for a mon that keeps a team together. Think Gholdengo on Ghost, Corviknight on Flying, Iron Hands on Fighting...you get the point. The Glue Compendium aims to compile these important pieces of every type. I've asked quite a few esteemed users for help, and I plan on making this for every time with the mon itself and a few lines of explanation. So without further ado, here is the Glue Compendium.

After some feedback in the Discord, I decided to add another compendium to distinguish between individual 'mons and cores that hold a team together. For example, Steel's immunity trio would be classified as a core in this compendium. Both of these compendiums are open for contribution, and I hope that both of them will help newer players know what to use for any type.

Glue Compendium

Core Compendium

:heatran: + :corviknight: + :gholdengo: This generation, the famed Steel Immunity core got better with the addition of Gholdengo. Each one of these 'mons are key parts of what makes Steel such a good defensive type in Monotype. Heatran provides a crucial Fire immunity through Flash Fire, while Corviknight flies above the Ground-type attacks that threaten the type. Finally, the new boy on the block, Gholdengo, replaces Aegislash from SS as a devastating special attacker alongside its naturally good longeivty (due to its great defensive type combination and its access to recovery). Variants of this core have been seen since Heatran's introduction, with Skarmory over Corviknight pre-generation 8 and Aegislash over Gholdengo for generations 7 and 8. | Suggested by wkxkevin, written by Dead by Daylight

LIST OF THINGS TO ADD

Glue Compendium

Ground: Great Tusk/Iron Treads and Clodsire - Suggested by Neko

Ice: Cetitan - Suggested by Leafium Z

Core Compendium

(nothing for now, more cores appreciated!)

Giyu
Neko
Pengairxan
Leafium Z

wkxkevin

Feel free to contribute! Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far - this wouldn't have happened without your help.
My suggestions:

Dragon: Hoodra and Garchomp

Fire: Volcanion and Moltres

Dead by Daylight

My suggestions:

Dragon: Hoodra and Garchomp

Fire: Volcanion and Moltres
Thanks for your help! I do agree with Hoodra, but unfortunately multiple people have said that so I don't think you'll get credit for it. But Garchomp is great for Dragon, so thanks for that!

On Fire, Volcanion is odd. Why would you use it with Sun weakening its Water STAB? I feel like it isn't great in weather - Rain gets rid of its Fire STAB, while Sun gets rid of its Water STAB. Moltres - perhaps.

On Fire, Volcanion is odd. Why would you use it with Sun weakening its Water STAB? I feel like it isn't great in weather -
Walking Wake. I think the presence of Walking Wake make Volcanion a requirement for every Fire type-
Before Fire Sun teams have to win the weather war against rain to beat Water (hard but doable). Walking Wake doesn't care if Drought or Drizzle is on the map.
Having a water inmunity is more needed than ever in Fire for this reason.

Moltres and Talon are 50/50. Moltres bring some bulk and firepower when Talon bring hazzard control and speed. Non Talon Fire need to run things like Cinderace Court Change to not die to opposite Stealth Rocks

Thanks for your help! I do agree with Hoodra, but unfortunately multiple people have said that so I don't think you'll get credit for it. But Garchomp is great for Dragon, so thanks for that!

On Fire, Volcanion is odd. Why would you use it with Sun weakening its Water STAB? I feel like it isn't great in weather - Rain gets rid of its Fire STAB, while Sun gets rid of its Water STAB. Moltres - perhaps.
I mean I think Fire kinda highlights one of the issues with the Glue Compendium where some types can play extremely different variations of a build. On sunless, Volcanion is pivotal; on Sun fire Volcanion is never going to be needed. Gonna add that I haven't really used Moltres on any of my fire builds yet. In my opinion you beat the fighting mu anyway, though moltres's ground immunity is definitely very useful.
Walking Wake. I think the presence of Walking Wake make Volcanion a requirement for every Fire type-
Before Fire Sun teams have to win the weather war against rain to beat Water (hard but doable). Walking Wake doesn't care if Drought or Drizzle is on the map.
Having a water inmunity is more needed than ever in Fire for this reason.

Moltres and Talon are 50/50. Moltres bring some bulk and firepower when Talon bring hazzard control and speed. Non Talon Fire need to run things like Cinderace Court Change to not die to opposite Stealth Rocks
Just to add, especially when looking at fire in a tournament context I really don't see Volcanion as needed, fire loses the dragon matchup regardless and it's usually more worth it to prioritize having a solid matchup vs. top types such as Poison, Fairy, Ghost, Fighting, Flying, etc. Even in general Volcanion defines sunless fire vs. sun fire where you might want something else in that slot. I'm not convinced Volcanion is needed for sun teams either way as you suggested, Dragon and Walking Wake water I still see as winning the matchup, and otherwise there are far more useful options to make your fire team threatening.

Something that I do see as a glue for Fire though in contrast would be :Heatran: Sun wants it for it's ability to counter Flutter, not to mention you can tech it to give poison a much harder time as well with something like a sub/magma storm set. On Sunless it's probably the best option for Stealth Rocks if you want to run hazards, but can fill a couple of roles in general.

Last edited:

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Welcome to the Glue, Core, and Teamstyle Compendium!

For my first project in the Monotype community, I decided to research glue. Now I'm not an engineering major or anything - "glue" is a catch-all term for a mon that keeps a team together. Think Gholdengo on Ghost, Corviknight on Flying, Iron Hands on Fighting...you get the point. The Glue Compendium aims to compile these important pieces of every type. I've asked quite a few esteemed users for help as well as newer members of the community, and I plan on making this for every type with the Pokémon itself and a few lines of explanation.

After some feedback in the Discord from Aqua Jet, I decided to add another compendium to distinguish between individual 'mons and cores that hold a team together. For example, Steel's immunity trio would be classified as a core in this compendium. Both of these compendiums are open for contribution, and I hope that both of them will help newer players know what Pokémon to use for any type.

What is the Teamstyle Compendium?

The Teamstyle Compendium is essentially the final step towards creating a full-fledged list of Monotype knowledge that isn't the VR. After TheWyvernKing pointed out that "one of the issues with the Glue Compendium is that some types can play extremely different variations of a build." So I decided to take his advice and create the teamstyle compendium, which details the best teamstyles and specific Pokémon to put on that style. This is going to be the last thing that's finished - I won't start this until the Glue Compendium is finished. Some 'mons that fit onto only one teamstyle of a type will go here (for example, Volcanion is crucial on Sunless Fire but unnecessary on Sun teams.

Glue Compendium

:goodra-hisui: Hisuian Goodra was the pickup Dragon needed to maintain relevance. Its Steel neutrality, combined with a base 150 Special Defense, allows Hisuian Goodra to take special attacks unnaturally well. For reference, Hisuian Goodra takes just 23.1-27.5% from Choice Scarf Iron Valiant's Moonblast, which is a massive threat to Dragon teams. Additionally, Hisuian Goodra's Steel STAB greatly helps the Fairy matchup. It also synergizes well with the rest of the type - Dragapult can unleash its attacks on a predicted Fighting-type attack, while Walking Wake can threaten out the Ground types that want to force Hisuian Goodra to switch. | Suggested by Neko and Gorechomp, written by Dead by Daylight

:garchomp: Garchomp has broken holes in opposing teams since the BW days. However, with the ever-rising menace of power creep, it seemed destined to drown in Monotype for the first time...ever. But then, SV gave it Spikes, which let it forge its niche in Dragon teams once more. Garchomp functions incredibly well as a hazard setter - it gets up Spikes and Stealth Rock and can either force a pivot with Dragon Tail or deal great damage with Earthquake, even uninvested. It continues to be a key part of Dragon teams, and probably will be for many more generations to come. | Suggested by Gorechomp, written by Dead by Daylight
:iron treads: / :great tusk: I guess you could call these two the sides of one coin. The Donphans from both the future and the past have found ways onto most Ground teams, and for good reason. Both of them are key for hazard control on Ground teams through Rapid Spin, but they both offer exclusive benefits. Iron Treads has Volt Switch to maintain momentum and form a core with Sandy Shocks, while also having a pretty good typing when compared to Great Tusk. Finally, while their BST is the same, their stat distributions differ. Due to these differences, Iron Treads is faster and has better Special Defense, while Great Tusk is physically bulkier and stronger. However, Great Tusk's versatility is unmatched: it can run a bulky hazard control set, an offensive set with monstrous Earthquakes off that 131 Attack stat, or even a Choice Scarf set with its Speed tier being just good enough to outpace key 'mons such as Chien-Pao while eating its Ice Shard. | Suggested by Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight

:clodsire: Clodsire is the main Water Absorber for Ground. It's the main reason, along with Sandy Shocks, why Ground has a fraction of a chance against Water, one of its worst matchups. While its stats aren't good, its combination of attributes (being the only Toxic Spikes setter on Ground, along with having reliable recovery and being a defensive stanchion) make it a key part of Ground teams. | Suggested by Suggested by Neko, written by Dead by Daylight

Core Compendium

:heatran: + :corviknight: + :gholdengo: This generation, the famed Steel Immunity core got better with the addition of Gholdengo. Each one of these 'mons are key parts of what makes Steel such a good defensive type in Monotype. Heatran provides a crucial Fire immunity through Flash Fire, while Corviknight flies above the Ground-type attacks that threaten the type. Finally, the new boy on the block, Gholdengo, replaces Aegislash from SS as a devastating special attacker alongside its naturally good longeivty (due to its great defensive type combination and its access to recovery). Variants of this core have been seen since Heatran's introduction, with Skarmory over Corviknight pre-generation 8 and Aegislash over Gholdengo for generations 7 and 8. | Suggested and first draft by wkxkevin, written by Dead by Daylight

Teamstyle Compendium

This will be started upon the completion of the Glue Compendium.

LIST OF THINGS TO ADD

Glue Compendium

Ground: Great Tusk/Iron Treads and Clodsire [Suggested by Neko]

Ice: Cetitan [Suggested by Leafium Z]

Core Compendium

Flying: Landorus-I + Corviknight + Dragonite [Suggested by Neko]

Giyu
Neko
Pengairxan
Leafium Z
Gorechomp

wkxkevin

Teamstyle Compendium Contributors

If you want to help, just DM me with the Pokémon you'd like to submit, the type, and preferably a short explanation. Help is always appreciated!

PS: Monotype mods, can this be made an official resource or no?
Want to make a few nominations:

:Gastrodon-East:/:Quagsire:Gastrodon/Quagsire as Glue for Water, these are critical mons for any Water team to give you a fighting chance against Electric and Electric coverage in general. Even Rain offence structures want them due to their access to hazards and the way they defensively compliment Pelipper. They also both have Water immunity abilities which is very helpful for Water dittos and dealing with mons like Rotom-W. Of the two Gastro is generally better because of its strong Ice Beam and superior special bulk which imo is more valuable on Water, but the two are somewhat interchangeable.

:Zoroark-Hisui:Zoroark-H as Glue on Ghost. This is a no-brainer, it's absolutely essential for Ghost teams to massively ease Ghost dittos. Outside of Ghost dittos, it can also provide unique utility for Ghost teams via Knock Off, and can generally frustrate and wear opposing teams down through Wisp and Hex with its good speed tier and high base Sp Atk.

:Landorus-Therian::Corviknight:Lando-T and Corv as a core on Flying. These two compliment each other's weaknesses incredibly well, with Lando-T providing an Electric immunity for Corv, and Corv providing Ice and Water neutralities for Lando-T. This allows the two to easily U-Turn between each other and wear opposing teams down through chip, and provide openings for Lando-T to get rocks up and to bring in offensive mons such as Enamorus and Dnite.

In terms of what they provide for the team as a whole, Lando-T is by far the best Stealth Rock setter on Flying due to its high natural bulk and access to Intimidate, and plays an essential role in Flying teams due to the aforementioned Electric immunity, invaluable coverage in a strong STAB Earthquake, and ability to pivot with U-Turn.

Corv, meanwhile, offers a plethora of unique resistances and immunities for Flying including an immunity to Poison and Toxic, resistances to Flying, Dragon and Fairy, and an Ice neutrality, while also being naturally very bulky and having access to Roost to allow it as an essential defensive backbone for Flying teams in nearly every MU. It's especially important for facing off against Chien-Pao and Flutter Mane which almost every other Flying mon simply cannot deal with in a defensive capacity. On top of this, it also plays another crucial role as Flying's most consistent hazard removal option by far; essential for a type weak to Stealth Rock.

Last edited:

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
For cores I would say the dual Sire core of Clod and Quag.
Clodsire and Quagsire cover each other's weaknesses incredibly well as one special tank with a neutrality to Grass while the other packs a neutrality to Ice while being Physically bulky. Both have access to a very similar moveset making it a mystery to figure out which one is going to be doing what. But their biggest draw together is their two big abilities, Unaware and Water Absorb. Both provide immense utility to Ground and if you see both at the start of the match it then becomes a massive question of which one is which. Maybe Clod is Water Absorb while Quag is Unaware? Maybe its the otherway around? Maybe they're both Water Absorb or both Unaware?

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
A Poison core is that is much more my style.

Toxapex, Amoonguss, Slowking-Galar, Poison's Regenerator Trio. Together they provide immense utility no matter what the opponent has. Amoonguss provides a physically bulky Ground and Water check that can respond with powerful Grass STAB, Slowking-Galar is a special tank able to absorb most special hits and fire back with its own wide special movepool while setting pressure with Future Sight and finally Toxapex can either be an incredible mixed wall or an unbreakable threat leaning on either spectrum being able to set up Toxic Spikes and using Haze to stop sweepers in their tracks. And if ever they feel pressured by an oncoming threat, they can switch into one of their comrades and heal while doing so making attempts to knock them out a true hurdle.

For cores I would say the dual Sire core of Clod and Quag.
Clodsire and Quagsire cover each other's weaknesses incredibly well as one special tank with a neutrality to Grass while the other packs a neutrality to Ice while being Physically bulky. Both have access to a very similar moveset making it a mystery to figure out which one is going to be doing what. But their biggest draw together is their two big abilities, Unaware and Water Absorb. Both provide immense utility to Ground and if you see both at the start of the match it then becomes a massive question of which one is which. Maybe Clod is Water Absorb while Quag is Unaware? Maybe its the otherway around? Maybe they're both Water Absorb or both Unaware?
Realistically on good teams Quagsire is always going to be Unaware. Chien-Pao has a field day otherwise. So does Baxcalibur. WA Clodsire also has a better shot at checking more Water threats (Urshifu-R, most Quaqs, Walking Wake) than does WA Quagsire.

Unaware Quag + WA Clod is the most consistent combo of Clod + Water/Ground.

Nominations:

Heatran + Moltres + Volcanion

Great Tusk + Iron Hands

Last edited:

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
Realistically on good teams Quagsire is always going to be Unaware. Chien-Pao has a field day otherwise. So does Baxcalibur. WA Clodsire also has a better shot at checking more Water threats (Urshifu-R, most Quaqs, Walking Wake) than does WA Quagsire.

Unaware Quag + WA Clod is the most consistent combo of Clod + Water/Ground.
Fair enough. It is a thing I have seen happen before and probably still happens with other ground teams and will be more of a thing if Chien gets banned (Also just kill the Chien-pao with Quag BP before it becomes an issue, you'll be fine.)

I still completely disagree with with moltres and volcanion. Those pokemon are nowhere that good, let alone glue. Yes it may prove valubale for your specific playstyle but for the fire type as a whole, it's not that valuable.

Moltres is indeed a fighting check immune to ground, but the problem lies within the fact that skedirge + rotom-heat does moltres' job much better. In fact, most fire team run that duo to begin with so I don't see how moltres is that valuable. Moltres used to be good because it can threaten heatran with scorching sands against steel or potentially uturn to break tran's balloon. It also hovers above mold breaker excadrill eq which rotom-h is omega weak to. Now, the ground type on those team is iron treads which packs volt switch. Now, not only can moltres not threaten tran, its roost PP is cut in half. This also does not take into account that steel can't effectively spike stack rn, which means that most heatrans run offensive power gem. Not only is that 4x rock weakness really crippling, spdef rotom-h/ spdef dirge can take those hits much better. Dirge can earth power tran and rotom can volt switch out.

Volcanion: Yes the water immunity is very valuable but here lies the problem, volcanion has 80/120/90 defenses. In order to have enough bulk to tank special hits from the likes of walking wake, specs valiant, flutter mane, etc you have to run assault vest which makes you extremely vulnerable to rocks. If you run boots, a lot of pokemon can straight up 2hko you. For example, if mane decides to run thunderbolt/power gem, you are a guaranteed 2HKO even at max spdef, if not then shadow ball 2hko with the slightest chip. Now for those who even considers the assault vest offensive set, keep in mind that canion has base 70 speed, so even if you run max hp, a lot of pokemon have the chance to OHKO after the tiniest of chip. This also doesn't help with the fact that volcanion's water moves are weakened under sun and it lost scorching sands. This means AGAIN, like moltres, it can't check heatran reliably, even if heatran is offensive, you are not OHKOing while sun is up. Oc volcanion is close to necessary when you don't run sun but the problem is this: like many have mentioned before, people see the volcanion and won't stupidly use water moves, especially since water moves are already weakened in sun. For example, urshifu rapid is not going to mindlessly click surging strikes when a volcanion exists, instead they will probably either SD or click CC. Band CC is guaranteed 2HKO and after an SD cc is 50% OHKO.

Dragapult and Gorechomp, I understand that moltres and volcanion work very well together which is why you guys voted to have them as glue but the problem is that these pokemon don't fit into fire as well as they did in Gen 8. With the movepool nerfs of both as well as moves like roost losing on pp, I genuinely don't see it. I don't want to linger too long on these as many have pointed out counterplay: namely that dirge walls azu because it's faster and has will-o-wisp. I feel that those pokemon are decent but not a glue nor a core. Hopefully, we can end the discussion here and move on to other types.

Dead by Daylight

Unfortunately, progress will be slow in terms of updating the compendium over the next week - I have AP class precourses, so I can't update it regularly. Feel free to keep submitting, though - I'll put them in the list of things to add. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)