Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Nominations:

Heatran + Moltres + Volcanion

Great Tusk + Iron Hands
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to reject Heatran + Volcanion + Moltres since Sunless is a very fringe option at the moment. If you can write an explanation and convince me, though, then I'll definitely add it.

Tusk + Hands are approved, though - I'll add them in.

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
What if, I did more defensive cores? (I'm sorry, I just like a good defense, I think its neat.)

Quagsire/Gastrodon and Toxapex provide solid defensive backbone for Water to rely on for its prosperity. The Grounds provide an invaluable Electric immunity and way to burry them with their STAB Ground attacks while providing their own unique defensive utility with Quagsire being Unaware that it is a physical wall while Gastrodon is a special slugger. However both come with a horrid quad weakness to Grass and can be overwhelmed quiet easily on their other defensive side which is where Toxapex comes in. Pex can cover these flaws by investing into the opposite defensive side and using its Poison typing to eat Grass moves before firing back with STAB Poison jabs/Sludge bombs and of course stay healthy by switching out with Regenerator.

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
Since the survey is out and with how much bitching there had been about Dire Claw it feels weird seeing Sneasler having such an even spread overall but as a Poison player I'm not complaining. It does sadden me that we have to continue live in a Chien-pao and Kingambit world for the foreseeable future but at least I can take solace that I'm not the only other one that detests those two.

Since the survey is out and with how much bitching there had been about Dire Claw it feels weird seeing Sneasler having such an even spread overall but as a Poison player I'm not complaining. It does sadden me that we have to continue live in a Chien-pao and Kingambit world for the foreseeable future but at least I can take solace that I'm not the only other one that detests those two.
Honestly from the discussion I've seen it seemed like past week 1 people established that Sneasler wasn't as bad as Spec, Kingambit, Pao, Zamazenta. I think I've had some posts on the topic but genuinely I can't remember cause it was like a month ago or so that I had it.

One other thing I will point out. I imagine that "how competitive a metagame is" would change drastically from immediately after Home drops when people are still discovering everything new, to when the meta stabilizes a bit more. I don't know how much of a problem or difference there is yet though. I still find that there are a decent amount of new builds and sets to be used, and the meta especially in a tournament context like MPL seems to shift constantly with usage. In contrast the ladder is the most vile place I'd ever stepped foot into.

Lastly I'll probs mention that while I consider Spec/Zam/Gambit all suspect worthy, I still think there's enough counterplay options on most of the types they are most oppressive against to not be absolutely ridiculous.

Anyhow since we're getting the next dlc soon with a small new batch of mons, coinciding right around when MPL ends, I imagine we won't see these Suspects go through till Winter if I'm being honest unless the new DLC mons don't take precedent - which I doubt considering how cracked Poison is looking to be with the new legends or whatever the nft mons are.

Big thanks to the council for the survey, I'd like to see more of them in the future.

Last edited:

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I am having an extremely hard time figuring out how the survey results for chien pao and spectrier peaking at 4 on the scale is being marked as "the results showed that the community as a whole did not feel like anything immediately sticks out." Why are we so hesitant to get anything going in this tier ever, these results should warrant a suspect at the very least especially when it took so long to get survey results to begin with. Not to come in here all "council bad" but cmon now, lets have some action before DLCs maybe.

I am having an extremely hard time figuring out how the survey results for chien pao and spectrier peaking at 4 on the scale is being marked as "the results showed that the community as a whole did not feel like anything immediately sticks out." Why are we so hesitant to get anything going in this tier ever, these results should warrant a suspect at the very least especially when it took so long to get survey results to begin with. Not to come in here all "council bad" but cmon now, lets have some action before DLCs maybe.
A slight oversight on our part but that could've been phrased better yeah, apologies. Our thoughts were that nothing indicated a quickban from the survey partnered with the first week of mpl games we saw along with the mlt games that had happened so far. Historically, we are against suspecting pokemon during our biggest team tours, which is similar across the site. However, we did vote on Chien-Pao, and it was very close, 1 vote from being suspected, but ultimately didn't have enough support to get to a suspect. Spectrier had the support on the survey and has been something that we have been watching from the beginning, but the fact is ghost had not had nearly enough usage to warrant a suspect. Even now, it's only been brought 4 times in 4 weeks of mpl.

The rest is me speaking personally. Pao's play in week 1 was very underwhelming as ghost and flying and water all had very solid, natural answers to pao and dark. Mlt was more of the same even tho it fared slightly better there, so I voted for no suspect. I assume with this and with mpl going on, these are the reasons the council members that voted no suspect did so as well. I have thought since the beginning that gambit is by far the worse offender, but that didn't have the support either, from the community or the council.
Since I have been on the council, I have seen the community change a decent bit, and what has also changed IMO is the impatience there is in the general community to have a suspect. Maybe sometimes it has been warranted maybe not. For example, look at the clamor there was to suspect specs zapdos in SS. That blew over within the period of a two month tournament. The high level tours give us time to truly view how these pokemon perform, so I think rushing into suspects is a big mistake. Much worse than taking a little extra time to view how the meta adapts, especially when high level play is ongoing.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
I agree with all the points Scarlet Stars made, except for one.

Not to come in here all "council bad" but cmon now, lets have some action before DLCs maybe.
Alright, my issue with this point is that banning some of these things (Chien-Pao's been in the metagame since Day 1) will seriously destabilize the metagame just so that we can "have some [tiering] action before DLCs". I feel like unless something is so blatantly broken (which I don't think Chien-Pao, Spectrier, or Zamazenta have proven yet) that it needs to be quickbanned, we should wait until DLCs. According to the Pokémon Company, DLCs come out in fall and winter of this year, so it's not a long, drawn-out wait.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I agree with all the points Scarlet Stars made, except for one.

Alright, my issue with this point is that banning some of these things (Chien-Pao's been in the metagame since Day 1) will seriously destabilize the metagame just so that we can "have some [tiering] action before DLCs". I feel like unless something is so blatantly broken (which I don't think Chien-Pao, Spectrier, or Zamazenta have proven yet) that it needs to be quickbanned, we should wait until DLCs. According to the Pokémon Company, DLCs come out in fall and winter of this year, so it's not a long, drawn-out wait.
I don't really follow why something needs to be quickban level of threat to have action taken. Suspects exists for a reason and the survey results definitely are showing numbers supporting that level of action for Chien and Spect.

Chait said they blundered the wording, which is fine and all mistakes happen but then I have to further ask, if the mistake was saying "these mons dont stick out", and now we are implying that they indeed do stick out, but regardless nothing is being done, what was the point of this survey? Where does this leave us now?

Not wanting to do suspects during MPL is fine and understandable, but is there any open dialogue for actually acting upon community opinion when it ends or no? A follow up survey at the end maybe? Some clarity as to what is gonna be going on would be appreciated.

As for actually discussing the mons themselves, I really do want to know more about answers to chien we apparently have, I've found that most types tend to just lose the moment chien gets an sd and happens to have 1 or 2 of the right attacks, but maybe I am missing the secret sauce to beat this mon.

I don't really follow why something needs to be quickban level of threat to have action taken. Suspects exists for a reason and the survey results definitely are showing numbers supporting that level of action for Chien and Spect.
The survey results did indeed show action could've been taken. And it was. A vote is action, disregarding what happens in said vote. I think I explained quite clearly why spect wasn't considered. A mon on a type that doesn't go beyond very little usage is never getting banned lol, because it cannot be broken in that case. When a mon gets very little usage it's hard to argue it is unhealthy, and in no way does it mean that the type(s) it is on is overly powerful. This is outlined in our tiering philosophy.

"these mons dont stick out", and now we are implying that they indeed do stick out,
Again, like I said spect has been on our radar since the beginning. We also did vote on Pao very early gen and once again voted on it after week 1 or 2 of mpl. That is not nothing being done, and is a realization they do stick out. Just because a pokemon hasn't gone to a suspect or a quickban doesn't mean nothing has been done. We will revisit the meta post MPL, as always. Not speaking for the council as the whole but to me a follow up survey post MPL or something of the sort sounds fine.

As for actually discussing the mons themselves, I really do want to know more about answers to chien we apparently have, I've found that most types tend to just lose the moment chien gets an sd and happens to have 1 or 2 of the right attacks, but maybe I am missing the secret sauce to beat this mon.
As for this bit I'm not gonna go into crazy depth but consider Pao is 4-8 in mpl up to week 4, so obviously the practicality of it hasn't been as good as it is in theory. Sd'ing with pao is not exactly easy considering how many weaknesses it has and how frail it is. Two of its wins have come vs flying. Does Pao threaten flying? Yeah ofc, but flying has also won that matchup twice. With corv and enamorus on nearly every flying team, two very good pokemon that would be on flying very often with or without pao, it makes for a good matchup imo and they provide answers vs dark. In the wins Pao has had in mpl, sd has never been clicked. I didn't bother going through the losses but it obviously hasn't beaten anything yet. Maybe it's different in the later stages of mlt I'll have to check.

I'm not brushing Pao aside entirely, but personally at the moment, it's a very difficult mon to convince me of. I think the meta has adapted to fighting and zama for the time being as well. I obviously don't speak for the council here but I personally wanna see more about gambit and dire claw (sneasler) with the recent uptick in poison. I know gambits record isn't great either at all but it seems like it has been more of a late game threat than pao which to me is quite limited due to its rocks weakness and ice typing.

Azick

Love Sosa
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Since the survey my opinions have changed somewhat and atm the only two mons that I think should be suspected are Zamazenta and Kingambit, though thats not really the point of this post. None of these mons were ever quickbannable, none of them are THAT broken and I think everyone involved with tiering is well aware of that, so I don't really understand chait's point "Our thoughts were that nothing indicated a quickban." If this was the point of the survey then simply the survey was not needed. None of them needed a qb in the first place. The survey should have been looking for mons to suspect, and even though I don't totally agree with suspecting Chien Pao/Spectrier the survey results are obviously heavily in favor of that, and I would be fine with a suspect for them albeit I would vote not to ban personally. Which brings me on to my other point: Just because an important tour is going on does not mean suspects should not happen simply to make it easier on the players in that tour.

What exactly is considered an important enough tour for suspects not to happen? Chait said "Historically, we are against suspecting pokemon during our biggest team tours." Well what are the biggest team tours. Only MPL? Well I would say WCOP is also a big team tour, don't know much abt MWP but if that were to happen is that considered a big team tour? If suspects shouldn't happen during these I would argue they shouldn't happen during circuit playoffs either as that is an incredily prestigious individual tournament. You probably see my point but if we didn't do suspects during all of these things we wouldn't be having suspects like 4-6 months out of the year. So let's say were only talking about MPL, the most prestigious team tournament in our tier with "the best of the best players." I would argue that if your unable to quickly adapt to meta changes you shouldn't be playing on that level. Sure, it could be frustrating, but anyone with enough competence to make MPL surely has a good enough understanding of the tier that they would be able to adapt to tiering action. Overall this arguement just makes no sense to me and while I understand tiering action was taken(the council voted on some things) were those votes biased toward not wanting to suspect things during MPL? Maybe not, but it sounds like they may have been and that is some nonsense in my opinion.

Edit: tbh i def wouldn't ban pao but I was maybe too explicit on spectrier, I could be convinced for him to go.

Last edited:
Since I have been on the council, I have seen the community change a decent bit, and what has also changed IMO is the impatience there is in the general community to have a suspect. Maybe sometimes it has been warranted maybe not. For example, look at the clamor there was to suspect specs zapdos in SS. That blew over within the period of a two month tournament. The high level tours give us time to truly view how these pokemon perform, so I think rushing into suspects is a big mistake. Much worse than taking a little extra time to view how the meta adapts, especially when high level play is ongoing.
I think you guys need to read this bit again. Not suspecting a pokemon during MPL is not about being able to adapt to a new ban. It's not about whether it makes it easier for the players or not. That's totally irrelevant. It's about giving us time to get an accurate viewing on how these mons operate at high level play.
Me saying we did not think anything indicated a quickban was not solely based on the survey. The survey results are not and will never be a guarantee of what is going to happen. They are a guide which we actually did use to vote on Pao. Saying there is no point of the survey when it was really the reason we voted on Pao again at all is incorrect.

Azick

Love Sosa
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I discussed this with some council members in private so I don't have much to say, and that is my bad for misunderstanding as I thought the need to adapt was a big part of the reason that suspects are less likely to happen during a tour. Fair enough that you guys want to see high level play before taking action on a mon, but if this was the case, then the main question I have is: Why was there a survey right before MPL started? It is obviously going to be frustrating to people to go through a survey like this and see nothing happen, especially when part of the reasoning is that the council didn't feel ready to make these decisions without more time. I think the simple solution is just wait longer to drop a survey next time. I can understand the pressure to drop one because people like to shout out about the council doing nothing, but rather than prematurely dropping the survey, just give some explanation in a post explaining why you would like to wait more time. If people still complain, thats on them.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
I want to talk more about the mons in question; as far as Chien goes, its cool and all to to look at game by game examples, but builder restrictions should and do matter as far as broken mons go.

Matchups like flying, poison, dragon, mirror, all of these are just 1 uncomfortable turn away from either chien winning or chien opening a big hole causing smth else to win. Its a near guaranteed high-value button. Even in its more mediocre matchups it has a super controlling presence, it becomes steels biggest hurdle when trying to beat dark with like low kick gambit, rain can just lose to fangs+sucker, and ground is forced to always have bpress quag. Aforementioned dragon also I feel goes from near unviable to just straight up solid w/o chien dark in the mix. Some of these middling checks like corv and quag are also just one crash flinch fish on a recover away from a loss as well.

You have to ask, what are the pros and cons of keeping certain pokemon in the tier. As far as Chien goes the pros end at "it looks cool", and its negatives are making a handful of matchups just the most uncomfy awkward experiences to play out. Unfun to build for, unfun to face, provides little benefit to the tier.

You can extend this train of thought further to other fellow ubers from spectrier, to flutter, to zama, to urshifu, or even guys like kingambit where all of these pokemon do more harm than good. Tour results are a fine metric but each game-by-game isn't going to show the full picture of what is wrong with the metagame.

I am not here trying to say we need to mass ban shit, but quick suspects to get some kind of ball rolling is always good for a tiers health. Every other official tier is very quick on the uptake, noticeably moreso than monotype. I know I am 100% not the only one to share the sentiment that this metagame is just playable at best, and just boring/bad at worst. Stuff needs to change and just staring at weekly winrates instead of acting on how the community feels about certain mons currently in the tier will just make this a slow painful process.

Just to voice my opinion a bit. I feel that we should let the tour finish. To me 4 indicates that something should be done but it's not an emergency. My proposal is to vote for quickban then suspect for chien pao, zamazenta, and kingambit. Personally I would suspect test all 3.

hen the main question I have is: Why was there a survey right before MPL started? It is obviously going to be frustrating to people to go through a survey like this and see nothing happen, especially when part of the reasoning is that the council didn't feel ready to make these decisions without more time. I think the simple solution is just wait longer to drop a survey next time. I can understand the pressure to drop one because people like to shout out about the council doing nothing, but rather than prematurely dropping the survey, just give some explanation in a post explaining why you would like to wait more time. If people still complain, thats on them.
I understand your (and the communities) POV and agree it can be frustrating yeah. I think tho, it has always been clear that surveys were never a guarantee of anything happening, and if it hasn't it should've been. So maybe that's on us as a council, but never was 'action' promised when a survey went up. I once again want to stress that calling a vote based on these surveys on Pao is not 'nothing happening.' Regardless though, maybe we could've waited with the whole survey but that's done with now. However,

The most I can do to answer your main question is give you my personal opinion on why I have no issue with the survey going out when it did. I absolutely don't speak for the rest of the council here. My thing is I have never held these surveys in great esteem. It doesn't mean I don't value what the community thinks. I respect the surveys for what they are. A gauge for trying to see where the community is in general. I value what I see in this thread or on discord more as there is generally reasoning outlined in those places which the survey doesn't really necessitate. Being very frank, I am of the opinion that the survey doesn't differentiate the qualified and un-qualified list very well. I personally went through the qualified votes exhaustively and broke it down even further going into mpl and mlt games and ladder records and they gave me very middling results. Nothing suspect worthy so early into MPL imo. Now if everyone here had voted a 4/5 or hell if literally everyone was 3+ I would've really revisited my stance and voted different, maybe even pushed for a quickban cause it most definitely wasn't too late to have another round of those, but when the median is a 3 out of 5, it doesn't suggest a whole lot of immediate action being required . A month ago, all the rage was Pao. It's more or less died now.
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 7.54.26 PM.png

Ideally yes, obviously we want to fix the meta asap, but taking a little bit longer compared to rushing is much better to me. What I took out of these survey results was that we needed to keep an eye on spect and pao specifically in the coming mpl and mlt weeks, and in doing so, at this time in the tier I don't think we were wrong about either looking at their usage and performance. Ultimately in my opinion, the surveys are and should continue to be a guide for us, not a promise of action.

Just adding this bit cause I saw it was posted while I was typing the above;

Every other official tier is very quick on the uptake, noticeably moreso than monotype.
Other tiers are usage based, so yeah there is a requirement there to be quicker than we generally are. I personally think OU has rushed some stuff this gen; see volc (and now are discussing tera again) that's all subjective tho. I however have seen general appreciation for SV mono, and think that it is quite well liked overall. I mean the survey did show that it is generally well liked and that most people find it 7/8 out of 10 competitive so I'm not sure where that comes from. The dislike is certainly not a large number, and ultimately we cannot satisfy everyone.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
Other tiers are usage based, so yeah there is a requirement there to be quicker than we generally are. I personally think OU has rushed some stuff this gen; see volc (and now are discussing tera again) that's all subjective tho. I however have seen general appreciation for SV mono, and think that it is quite well liked overall. I mean the survey did show that it is generally well liked and that most people find it 7/8 out of 10 competitive so I'm not sure where that comes from. The dislike is certainly not a large number, and ultimately we cannot satisfy everyone.
Usage based argument is fine, makes sense for speed. OU did indeed rush but a lot of the recent ou council criticisms were in the same vein of the survey feeling absolutely pointless, so yeah.

7/10 to me is exactly what playable at best means, yes it is good enough to play, yes it is competitive enough to where nothing needs a quickban, but this does not mean it is in a settled and smooth state. Regardless, I don't want to hold each other hostage in this back and forth, the discussion honestly probably ended a while ago. It is true that you cannot satisfy everyone, but the closest thing smogon has to give the most amount of people satisfaction is in fact, suspect tests, so they can freely vote how their tier is handled. And that is all I am trying to advocate for, faster suspects. Hoping to see something happen after mpl, and if not then so be it. This tier will still be, playable.

People getting mad over how the council may or may not theoretically act on potential suspects after MPL ends. Truthfully I don't think when MPL ends is an indicator to be used regardless. The meta shifts and evolves and as it does we will raise our perspectives on what we think is strangling the tier, what is becoming more noticeably oppressive, and how we think we should handle it. We will undoubtedly see Dark evolve and get more finetuned, as I remember Pao didn't immediately jump out as oppressive, and I was against a suspect of it myself when it first was posed pre home. Likewise MPL and team tours operate in their own meta a bit variable from Individual Tours and other's own individual experiences. So far Dark has largely had bad matchups and neutrals with pretty solid counterplay in MPL, and the MPL meta in general has been pretty anti dark. In contrast I think we've seen some solid examples of Zamazenta being incredibly powerful, all the while Spectrier has gotten nowhere near enough of a sample size to even be looked at from MPL usage.

My opinion at least, it's going to be the upcoming Fall Seasonals, or whatever that big tour is that Starts end of July, which showcases any problematic mons. Such a large bo3 double elim tour will not only allow for a pretty massive samplesize that ken will undoubtedly make some crazy Usage Spreadsheet for, it also makes some types far less risky to bring at least once during a set. I'd imagine this would showcase alot more of the oppressive matchups that made these mons suspect worthy to begin with. Also someone pointed out earlier how mons can be oppressive in builder, they gave a bunch of examples - some of which I think are silly like Flutter, but I definitely agree that just thinking about some mons like Kingambit or Spec can seriously limit what people would consider using.

Last edited:
Now that we're moving on from that unfortunate dreary topic, let's go back to a previous discussion. Sneasler (Dire Claw). I will reiterate that my stance is that Dire Claw, by nature, is uncompetitive and should be banned (by extension of Snealser getting banned) for that reason alone. Not that it's overwhelmingly broken. I explained this back in my initial posts bout it (though I am unsure if I explained it adequately), and asked for other's opinions (especially regarding tour data, etc.), but the topic changed since then so people forgot

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
Now that we're moving on from that unfortunate dreary topic, let's go back to a previous discussion. Sneasler (Dire Claw). I will reiterate that my stance is that Dire Claw, by nature, is uncompetitive and should be banned (by extension of Snealser getting banned) for that reason alone. Not that it's overwhelmingly broken. I explained this back in my initial posts bout it (though I am unsure if I explained it adequately), and asked for other's opinions (especially regarding tour data, etc.), but the topic changed since then so people forgot
I think its less so that the Topic change and more so the environment surrounding Sneasler when home first dropped and now has entirely changed. In a form where people just don't find Dire Claw this oppressively world defining move like so many people thought it would be. There are just also many other threats people just want gone more. There is also just more awareness to how to deal with Dire Claw now.

And this might just be a me thing, but, I'm just tired of Dire Claw discussions. I haven't made any comments myself but I got tired of them being the entirety of what Mono talked about when it was the main topic of the community ire as all the discussion feels the same. People complain about the luck aspect of Sneasler, and barely anything else else about the Pokemon with the counter argument of the high amount of luck that has ran around Pokemon for 31(?) years now dating back when Blizzard was a 90% accurate move with 30% to freeze your Pokemon making them unable to do anything unless hit by a fire move.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

S: Flying Dark Fairy
A: Steel Water Ground Dragon Poison
B: Ghost Ice Fire Fighting Normal Psychic Electric
C: Grass Bug Rock

@everyone post your type VRs or I, the most powerful man in Monotype, will unleash the wrath of Chi-yu (balanced Pokémon) on your tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)