[QC Ready 1/3] Blaziken

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
what is chestoresto kingdra doing to a water-type

in all seriousness, you can say that, but it really doesn't matter what you use as a recipient. like, at all. also, blaziken wrecks every water-type p much. there's no jellicent in this meta. tenta i guess but really you can beat that with anything and boosted hjk wrecks it.

also, mega blaziken's increased speed makes it a much better candidate for a bper. it is also bulkier. i'm not a fan of normal bp ken at all from my experiences, so i'll need some convincing.

defensive gyarados is meh and non-existent, so i'm gonna choose to pass on that, especially with the threat of stone edge.

tbh atm i'm leaning toward slashing stone edge first. flying-types, incoming talonflame make it invaluable on mixed, which needs to prioritize coverage.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro, Azumarill, Tentacruel, and defensive Gyarados, are all bulky water-types that Blaziken can't get past and so needs a good recipient to do so. Chesto + Rest Kingdra may have been a meh recipient (although it still sets up all over Slowbro, Tentacruel, and choice locked Azumarill) but Garchomp can take on all of those and is a terrific sweeper with a some Speed boosts and SD. Just come up with your own teammates if you don't like my examples but i don't get why you downplay the importance of good recipients. Blaziken has checks and counters and the better defensive and offensive synergy its recipient has the bigger the chances are that you will be able to make a successful pass and even pull of a sweep.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some things were raised on irc, sparknotes version

-We are sticking with Oglemi's format, I discussed alexwolf's proposal (or if it was't him, whoever brought it up) with Oglemi and agreed sticking with the current format is the correct thing to do. This means no slashes between LO / Mega Stone.

-Supporting alexwolf that you NEED dedicated BP teammates mentioned in the set somewhere jukain, likewise supporting a normal BP Blaziken set that BKC proposed with Sub + BP as your other moves.

-I agree with the sets alexwolf also said he wanted to see (I forget his exact list).

-Lastly, as I said on irc, I vehemently disagree with the following line: "blaziken wrecks every water-type p much", and really hope you dont give the impression that this is the case, alexwolf gives excellent examples as to why this is not the case and I agree with his points.

Most of this, you were on IRC for, but im summarizing this in case other QC members want to weigh in / people missed stuff etc.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I keep forgetting about Azumarill, and Tentacruel is common. Slowbro and defensive Gyarados don't strike me as all that relevant though. I guess mentioning strong Dragon, Ground, Grass partners could work.

I already agreed to include a normal BP ken, just not 2 sets... Mega ken is gonna get an SD and mixed set. Normal ken is gonna get those 2 plus a BP set.

BP partners to be mentioned: Gogoat, Chesnaught, Dragonite, Garchomp. Should be good representatives.

Sets to be added: Pure BP to normal ken, mixed to Mega ken.

You really didn't have to take such an aggressive tone when I'd already agreed...

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't disregard Slowbro and Gyarados just because you think they aren't relevant. They are viable in OU, meaning they can serve as counters / checks to Blaziken. I can't understand why you're so stubborn about this. You don't want to mention Gyarados, yet you can mention Quagsire? I'm quite surprised by you in this whole thread to be honest :/

Gyarados and Slowbro are definitely relevant, so definitely mention those as Counters. Also, Protect, in my opinion, should be slashed before Stone Edge. Noivern really is not a big enough threat to warrant removing Protect, a move which can be key to bailing Blaziken out of many situations and saving games; an 80% chance to KO Talonflame on the switch isn't enough neither, especially since Flare blitz / Hi Jump Kick do roughly half to the aforementioned two Pokemon. Even if Stone Edge hits Gyarados, I still firmly believe that Protect is crucial to this set's effectiveness. The aforementioned Baton Pass needs to be added as well.

EDIT: I don't have the game :<

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make the SubPass set like this:

<p>Blaziken @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Speed Boost<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
Timid / Modest Nature<br />
- Substitute<br />
- Baton Pass<br />
- Protect<br />
- Fire Blast</p>

Fire Blast > Flare Blitz because it hits better most Steel and Grass-types, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, and Forretress. Also, it 2HKOes physically defensive Hippowdon, a Pokemon that would otherwise counter this set. Finally, no recoil is a big plus. Protect is a must and shouldn't be slashed as it lets you get Speed boosts in tough situations, mainly against faster Pokemon, and Baton Pass the boosts to the appropriate Pokemon. Even one Speed boost could be the difference between winning and losing if you manage to Baton Pass it to the right Pokemon late-game.

Last edited:
Wait sorry, why is Mega Blaziken getting a SubPass set exactly? That makes absolutely no sense. Regular form is more effective because you can run Leftovers for more SubPassing, especially with Protect, and that you free up a megaslot for something more threatening that could benefit from such boosts.

What am I missing?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Wait sorry, why is Mega Blaziken getting a SubPass set exactly? That makes absolutely no sense. Regular form is more effective because you can run Leftovers for more SubPassing, especially with Protect, and that you free up a megaslot for something more threatening that could benefit from such boosts.

What am I missing?
My bad Fuzznip, i cped the text and accidentally left Blazikenite. Now it's fixed.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Btw, with the announcement that SDS made we can now slash Blazikenite with other items so you only need three sets: SD, Mixed, and SubPass, with Blazikenite slashed in the with the first two.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<p>This is a Swords Dance passing set. You come in, Mega Evolve with an accompanying Swords Dance, and attack or Baton Pass.
Baton pass is missing completely from this set, lol.

Yeah, I meant to mention that yesterday, but I forgot. What happened to the Baton Pass slash on the SD Mega Blaziken set? I know it was discussed earlier and most people seemed to favor it, and it was originally slashed before Protect (where Stone Edge is now). Baton Pass is still mentioned in the comments, so I'm guessing that was a typo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)