Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What is required of a smogon forum user to be able to discuss in the Baton Pass discussion thread in policy reviews? I want to contribute to the discussion, but clearly I do not have the privilege to do so. Who has and who has not, based upon what?

What is required of a smogon forum user to be able to discuss in the Baton Pass discussion thread in policy reviews? I want to contribute to the discussion, but clearly I do not have the privilege to do so. Who has and who has not, based upon what?
Principally being badgeholders grants you to do so, but some users have been granted it without that, presumably due to being renowned contributors/tournament players but not quite enough to ern a badge but enough that their input is considered valuable enough

When Marshadow is released, Baton Pass will be destriyed by Spectral Thief. But without Marshadow, Taunt, Haze, Intimidate, Perish Song, attacking to destroy the sub and damage the receiver of the boosts are the only things that can break baton pass teams.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
When Marshadow is released, Baton Pass will be destriyed by Spectral Thief. But without Marshadow, Taunt, Haze, Intimidate, Perish Song, attacking to destroy the sub and damage the receiver of the boosts are the only things that can break baton pass teams.
Marshadow will probably be banned within a few weeks of its release so I wouldn't count on that

What makes offensive Zapdos good?
Electric/Fire/Ice is pretty great coverage. Enabling it to take on core defensive mons in Lando-T, Ferrothorn, Mega-Scizor, Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Tangrowth etc etc Plus it's bulky enough to be able to stomach hits and ideally roost them off. Those components give it its niche as an offensive electric type over the likes of Koko/Thundurus on certain builds (generally bulky offense)

The Loog Noog

Banned deucer.
  • Taunt can be bounced back by Espeon who is an integral member of BP teams
  • Haze is very uncommon on the tier and only usable on Mantine and Toxapex off the top of my head and even if it was more common, having to run the same move on EVERY team just to beat a specific playstyle is unhealthy as fuck. Also, Toxapex is easily trapped by Groundium Z Dugtrio and Mantine isn't exactly the most common thing in the world.
  • Intimidate isn't very good counterplay because subs block intimidate and there are plenty of viable special baton pass recipients like Espeon and Magearna.
  • The whole "breaking the sub" thing is kind of a shit argument because every single turn that the sub is up, you have to win a 50/50 between scoli staying in and passing to ensure that the sub isnt broken and that you dont have a full HP mon that sweeps your team like a Necrozma or a Mega Heracross looming in front of your face.
I'm not gonna make an argument over this, nor reply to any replies to this post, but please leave it to the people with the ability to post in PR to talk about this.

Since PR is considering a Baton Pass ban, would I be allowed to talk about what effect it would have on the meta? I'm only asking since it isn't confirmed to happen, but there is a 50/50 chance of it occurring.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why do some threads posted without mod autorization get deleted whereas others just get locked? I feel like the forum gets kinda flooded with these locked senseless threads and if it is possible to delete some of them why not just delete them all and keep it clean?
Kinda depends on the mood of the moderator/moderating team. Typically, it's just easier/less conflictual to lock and post in the thread so that the OP, and hopefully other new users, can see why it was an inappropriate thread and hopefully end the interaction there, ie. more open and shut cases. It's also way easier to do this on mobile. When deleting, there's always the chance that it's taken as an implication that the moderators are out to get the OP ("Nazi mods") or the OP simply doesn't see that it was deleted and reposts the thread again anyway, which can create more problems down the line (the OP then proceeding to PM-spam the moderator or consistently reposting and getting an infraction which then leads to the PM spamming). In a forum with as high of traffic as this, cleanliness doesn't ever last long anyway.

Reactions: Leo
I have always liked the move Stored Power but hated Baton Pass. How viable is Stored Power Necrozma on non-Baton Pass teams? If it is viable on such a team, does anyone know any good non-Baton Pass teams with Stored Power Necrozma?

I have always liked the move Stored Power but hated Baton Pass. How viable is Stored Power Necrozma on non-Baton Pass teams? If it is viable on such a team, does anyone know any good non-Baton Pass teams with Stored Power Necrozma?
My opinion is that Necrozma is already less-than-spectacular on Baton Pass teams and is only even more underwhelming without Scolipede's support. If you really want to use it, the set is CM / Iron Defense / Moonlight / Stored Power (idk about the EVs but they're probably defensive). It's a sweeper that wants to sit in battle and slowly boost up over a long time, yet Taunt and Toxic both screw it over. Its recovery option is garbage, and it's also slow. Outside of Baton Pass you might as well run something like Reuniclus or Suicune if you want a bulky CM user, and even on Baton Pass there's Espeon, which sacrifices better bulk (not exactly a rare trait among other Baton Pass recipients) for Magic Bounce (which is rare) and coverage for Dark types in Dazzling Gleam.

EDIT: and if you're looking for a countermeasure to stall...there are surely better options than Necrozma.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why do some threads posted without mod autorization get deleted whereas others just get locked? I feel like the forum gets kinda flooded with these locked senseless threads and if it is possible to delete some of them why not just delete them all and keep it clean?
To add onto what Oglemi said, I personally will delete a thread after a week or two which gives the user time to understand why it was locked, unless it was a spam thread of course, which are automatically deleted. Can't speak for the others mods though.

Reactions: Leo
My opinion is that Necrozma is already less-than-spectacular on Baton Pass teams and is only even more underwhelming without Scolipede's support. If you really want to use it, the set is CM / Iron Defense / Moonlight / Stored Power (idk about the EVs but they're probably defensive). It's a sweeper that wants to sit in battle and slowly boost up over a long time, yet Taunt and Toxic both screw it over. Its recovery option is garbage, and it's also slow. Outside of Baton Pass you might as well run something like Reuniclus or Suicune if you want a bulky CM user, and even on Baton Pass there's Espeon, which sacrifices better bulk (not exactly a rare trait among other Baton Pass recipients) for Magic Bounce (which is rare) and coverage for Dark types in Dazzling Gleam.

EDIT: and if you're looking for a countermeasure to stall...there are surely better options than Necrozma.
The main reason I wanted to use use Necrozma is because I find the move Stored Power fun to use. Let me rephrase my question. Does anyone know a Stored Power user who can work on non-BP teams?

The main reason I wanted to use use Necrozma is because I find the move Stored Power fun to use. Let me rephrase my question. Does anyone know a Stored Power user who can work on non-BP teams?
Swoobat

Not really.

Stored Power (and its far less distributed sibling Power Trip) has the problem in that they absolutely rely on Baton Pass to be usable. Since there are no Psychic-type Pokemon with Quiver Dance, Geomancy or Shell Smash (or Belly Drum or Shift Gear for Dark-types with Power Trip) or have Simple to speed up boosts (Swoobat exists but good luck using it on OU), boosting for Stored Power is too slow to be worth it.

(Which makes me think - it would be cool if Malamar eventually got access to Power Trip)

Last edited:
Swoobat

Not really.

Stored Power (and its far less distributed sibling Power Trip) has the problem in that they absolutely rely on Baton Pass to be usable. Since there are no Psychic-type Pokemon with Quiver Dance, Geomancy or Shell Smash (or Belly Drum or Shift Gear for Dark-types with Power Trip) or have Simple to speed up boosts (Swoobat exists but good luck using it on OU), boosting for Stored Power is too slow to be worth it.
What a shame. Oh well at least I learned something.

I've always thought that Sigilyph with cosmic power, stored power, and roost was fun. It's not really viable in my experience, but it's loads of fun because magic guard lets it avoid damage from toxic and cosmic power boosts both its defensive stats so it gets bulky and hard to take care of, plus it gets reliable recovery so if you get some boosts up it's super hard to take down. It gets wrecked by taunt and by phasers though, which is most of what makes it unviable in my opinion.

Sure it's a gimmick, but it can be fun.

The closest thing I can think of to a viable Stored Power user is CM Stored Power Clefable to let it break past Chansey, Unaware users and Heatran, however CM Clef as a whole is a lot worse this gen than it was last gen, and running Stored Power over other possible coverage or utility is questionable. It's a pretty unexpected and fun stallbreaker though, I'll give it that. Maybe whenever Mega Latias comes out, you can also get away with CM Stored Power on that.

Not sure if this has been said/asked already. But is it worth using or transferring a Pokemon to gen 7 for things like Defog or Double edge? Just because on showdown, doesn't matter what mark you have or don't have. In-game you need Alolan/Kalos native marks. Is it really worth the trouble?

The Loog Noog

Banned deucer.
Not sure if this has been said/asked already. But is it worth using or transferring a Pokemon to gen 7 for things like Defog or Double edge? Just because on showdown, doesn't matter what mark you have or don't have. In-game you need Alolan/Kalos native marks. Is it really worth the trouble?
If you're playing smogon formats, transferring mons for defog is totally worth it because OU has a limited pool of defoggers as is, but double edge in game can be replaced with something like return and you'll probably be just fine.

If you're playing smogon formats, transferring mons for defog is totally worth it because OU has a limited pool of defoggers as is, but double edge in game can be replaced with something like return and you'll probably be just fine.
Ah, I see. I was thinking along the lines of transferring up a Defog Mantine and a Double-edge glalie for mega. Thanks for answering.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the necessity of the Evasion and OHKO clauses in the current meta? They seem to be continuously enforced regardless of how the meta progresses or what new pokemon become available. Evasion Abilities in particular seem potentially unbanworthy. You're not suddenly going to see a dominance of Gigalith and Sand Veil Garchomp teams ruining the game. It just seems.... unnecessary I guess, to remove an aspect of pokemon mechanics that's not a serious threat for potentially outdated reasons or "removing luck from the game" which is a pointless endeavour in itself. Just wanted thoughts on it.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the necessity of the Evasion and OHKO clauses in the current meta? They seem to be continuously enforced regardless of how the meta progresses or what new pokemon become available. Evasion Abilities in particular seem potentially unbanworthy. You're not suddenly going to see a dominance of Gigalith and Sand Veil Garchomp teams ruining the game. It just seems.... unnecessary I guess, to remove an aspect of pokemon mechanics that's not a serious threat for potentially outdated reasons or "removing luck from the game" which is a pointless endeavour in itself. Just wanted thoughts on it.
Sand Veil and other weather evasion abilities are legal to use and not broken anymore due to the lack of permanent weather, the other evasion abilities are even less viable and pose no large threat. Evasion clause is mostly against the use of directly boosting evasion with moves as Minimize and Double Team, and just as OHKO moves, they have stayed the same for a very long time and they are just as uncompetitive as they've always been.

Sand Veil and other weather evasion abilities are legal to use and not broken anymore due to the lack of permanent weather, the other evasion abilities are even less viable and pose no large threat. Evasion clause is mostly against the use of directly boosting evasion with moves as Minimize and Double Team, and just as OHKO moves, they have stayed the same for a very long time and they are just as uncompetitive as they've always been.
I must have been reading an outdated rules page then.

What about Swagger?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)