Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

When using Custap Berry, does the berry activate on the turn it is consumed, letting you move first, or does it activate as you approach the HP threshold, alerting your opponent of your Custap Berry?
I am considering using certain Custap Explosion/Destiny Bond sets but I'm wondering if it's going to be an actual surprise or if the berry reveals itself as soon as your health goes low.

It activates on the turn you use it. No warning at all for the opponent.

But in the case of Explosion, you can bet that the opponent will scout for that particular strategy as it is pretty common on suicide leads with Sturdy like Forretress, so don't rely on it too much because most of the time, your opponent will catch on and send someone with Protect a Ghost Rock or Steel Type, or a physical tank if they can.

Destiny Bond is pretty unreliable as it is now because it got nerfed and now works like Protect, quickly decreasing in accuracy when used repeteadly. If you are going to use it, do it on a fast pokemon with Substitute to stall out the cooldown turn.

Does Custap Berry see much use at all outside of the Explosion/Destiny Bond surprises?
Will experienced players potentially use an Unnerve pokemon against you if they happen to have one?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Does Custap Berry see much use at all outside of the Explosion/Destiny Bond surprises?
Will experienced players potentially use an Unnerve pokemon against you if they happen to have one?
Custap berry is unreleased atm so I don't think it's too important.

In the event custap gets re-released it's decently popular on suicide lead sets, so you can get an extra layer of spikes off, kill yourself, whatever.

Almost nothing ever wants to run unnerve-- berry use is rare in most singles formats, and most things with unnerve are either not remotely ou viable, or have way better abilities to run (by definition almost ANY non-unnerve ability is better, if it is not actively harmful). I'd be more worried about like knock off or priority (custap is effectively like +0.5 priority, you get outrun by any actual +1 or higher move).

I was not aware it's unreleased atm.
Losing to true priority sucks but I guess HO teams don't really care as long as they get the opportunity to get another layer of spikes or an explosion, they still want to get their lead dead one way or another.

I guess the only "viable" unnerve user in OU is Tyranitar in the odd case where you really really hate having sand in your team in case I don't even think it's worth running TTar at all.

What are you using it for? Max attack is probs best if you're using a physically based set ie Gunk Shot/Rock Slide/U-Turn/Ice Beam. As ice beam does a ton to its targets anyway
I was actually using that same moveset because I wanted a revenge killer who could KO Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, while also being able to target Zapdos if need be. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
People, on the Sun&Moon Empoleon analysis, Z-Mist is mentioned in OO as a form of recovery, if you can afford the z-move restriction penalty. My question is, who in the universe considers that even a remotely usable ide?

Rest+Chesto Berry heals you exactly as much wasting the Z-move, and in addition it heals a possible burn, AND keeps a possibility to keep healing against passive enemies.

Seriosly, please, remove Z-Mist from the Other Options. There is no reason to use it when Rest is around.
While I wouldn't argue that Z-Mist is good, it's more reliable than Rest+Chesto. Z-Mist works even if the enemy put you to sleep (the chesto would activate in this situation without rest), cannot be knocked off, and works under electric/misty terrain. You also get the benefits of Mist, which can be handy at protecting your team against Intimidate. RestoChesto is less restrictive, but Z-Mist is more reliable.

I have two questions:

First, if hazard control options are extremely thin right now, what do offensive spikestack teams prefer to run for hazard control? I'm wondering about Spikestack teams in particular because in general they would obviously prefer a spinner to a defogger, but since we have like one mediocre spinner in the tier (two if you count Starmie but Starmie sucks right?), is Excadrill on like every spikestack team? Do they sometimes run no hazard control or a defogger instead due to the lack of options? Is mega blastoise remotely viable?

Secondly, is grass-spam facilitated by Tapu Bulu a thing? And what grass types would be most effective in combination with Bulu? I ask because there's basically nothing that isn't broken by some Bulu set, so it seems like it'd be good at facilitating a sweep for a fellow grass-type.

I have two questions:

First, if hazard control options are extremely thin right now, what do offensive spikestack teams prefer to run for hazard control? I'm wondering about Spikestack teams in particular because in general they would obviously prefer a spinner to a defogger, but since we have like one mediocre spinner in the tier (two if you count Starmie but Starmie sucks right?), is Excadrill on like every spikestack team? Do they sometimes run no hazard control or a defogger instead due to the lack of options? Is mega blastoise remotely viable?

Secondly, is grass-spam facilitated by Tapu Bulu a thing? And what grass types would be most effective in combination with Bulu? I ask because there's basically nothing that isn't broken by some Bulu set, so it seems like it'd be good at facilitating a sweep for a fellow grass-type.

Here's and answer to the first question. On those types of teams people generally don't have hazard control due to the best spinner for those teams being banned(Pheromosa) and Defog removing hazards on both sides of the field, making those turns spent setting up those hazards kinda pointless.

Here's and answer to the first question. On those types of teams people generally don't have hazard control due to the best spinner for those teams being banned(Pheromosa) and Defog removing hazards on both sides of the field, making those turns spent setting up those hazards kinda pointless.
I sort of expected as such. Okay, thanks!

I have two questions:

Starmie is actually the best spinner right now, and many teams, even not spikestack forgo hazard control because removers other than mzor mew and stall removers aren't really reliable anymore. Excadrill loses to LandoT, the most common rocker + cannot switch into Heatran + doesn't beat stuff like Chomp and Mamo either. Excadrill also isn't great because of Starmie competing and being lando bait really sucks. Scarf drill forces you to run dual scarf, with one being 101+ or a reliable Volcarona check.(Hint:They are very few) It also is not like Scarf Koko is scarf Gengar because it lacks spammable STABs, enables way too many Pokemon down to clean, which is extremely hard. Sash Excadrill is OK, but it still loses to common rockers, therefore I do not like it as a remover for something like Volcarona. If you're not running something hugely nullified by Stealth Rocks, on Spikestacks, it's not worth it to run removal. Spin Drill can work on Sand + Zard Y teams, but it still misses SD, and thats the biggest viability of Spin Drill on Spikes. Also Mega Blastoise has a small niche, however, it is not great on many builds unless it is just the correct Pokemon.

GrassSpam with Bulu is honestly not great, because there are no real Grass attackers. Terrains are not weather in Gen 5 or even Weather in Gen 6.

I play smogon's competitive pokemon since XY, and I have a doubt since those times, but what exactly is the diference between bulky offense and balanced, I thought it was something like "oh balanced have both defensive and offensive mons" and BO something like "offensive mons that have some defensive utility" but i have seen a lot of arguments in the VT tread like "X mon only fits in BO" "Y common only on balanced and very rare in BO". Can someone explain for me?

I play smogon's competitive pokemon since XY, and I have a doubt since those times, but what exactly is the diference between bulky offense and balanced, I thought it was something like "oh balanced have both defensive and offensive mons" and BO something like "offensive mons that have some defensive utility" but i have seen a lot of arguments in the VT tread like "X mon only fits in BO" "Y common only on balanced and very rare in BO". Can someone explain for me?
From the way I see it, BO is build more like offense but with bulk instead of speed. BO usually wouldn't run big momentum drains like Toxapex since it wants to keep offensive pressure, hence being Bulky Offence. Balance meanwhile can afford to run low momentum pokemon since the goal isn't constant offense pressure, but rather being able to flex to any pace.

I've noticed that Espeon is on the viability rankings, but what sets does it typically run in OU? I'd assume some set with Baton Pass.

I've noticed that Espeon is on the viability rankings, but what sets does it typically run in OU? I'd assume some set with Baton Pass.
From what I've seen, this is the standard Espeon set.
Espeon @ Kee Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
Stored Power benefits from CM, the Def boosts when Espeon gets hit by a physical attack, and getting stat boosts baton passes to Espeon. Dazzling Gleam offers coverage against Dark-types. CM is for more boosts. Morning Sun is Espeon's best Recovery move. Magic Bounce refelects moves such as Toxic or various entry hazards. The Speed EVs let it outspeed + Speed natured base 70's, modest Xurkitree, and some variants of Garchomp. Togekiss, Jirachi, Mew, Gliscor, and Lando-T. The rest is put into HP and Def to maximize Espeon's physical bulk.

From the way I see it, BO is build more like offense but with bulk instead of speed. BO usually wouldn't run big momentum drains like Toxapex since it wants to keep offensive pressure, hence being Bulky Offence. Balance meanwhile can afford to run low momentum pokemon since the goal isn't constant offense pressure, but rather being able to flex to any pace.
I am still confused, like greninja for example is fast and powerfull, so didn't this mean that he isn't supposed to be found in neighter BO nor balanced?

BO or bulky offense just means that instead of running balls-to-the-walls hyper offense (and hyper offense is classified as only having offensive mons for example, latios / gren / mega medi / offensive lando / suicide lead / keldeo is a hyper offensive team) you are running bulk on your team which means that you utilize offensive mons along with bulky mons like heatran, jirachi, and tangrowth. this is done so you have switch-ins against dangerous threats so you're not constantly sacking mons just to beat a singular threat that the team you have might just autolose against with the bulky pokemon. you also get a better matchup against more archetypes like opposing balance and hyper offense.

so this means on bulky offense you can use pokemon such as greninja if you'd like because you're going to have bulky mons in the back to make up for it frailty. you can use it on balance too because you have bulky mons in the back as well.
But what exactly is the diference between balanced and BO?
Edit:if possible can you compare a BO team with a balanced team?
Also I am using a team with spikes gren/TR magearna/rock head a-maro/m-pinsir/scarf exca/primarina, i think it's a BO, but idk exactly why it isn't balanced

Last edited:
But what exactly is the diference between balanced and BO?
Edit:if possible can you compare a BO team with a balanced team?
Also I am using a team with spikes gren/TR magearna/rock head a-maro/m-pinsir/scarf exca/primarina, i think it's a BO, but idk exactly why it isn't balanced
It's not balance because the team isn't centred around a defensive backbone. It hasn't been made because of the defensive synergy but rather you have a number of mons who rely on offensive pressure and momentum in order to win games.

With balance, a large part of the game is being able to switch out into bulkier mons who can heal off the damage, whilst with BO, in general doing this kills the momentum of the team and due to the frailer nature of the team, allowing your opponent to bring in a breaker means you're in a weaker position.

A great example would be looking at Mega Venusaur; whose defensive sets only really fit on balance, due to being forced to recover so option. On balance, you can bring it in on a mon, then after your opponent goes to Mega Pinsir (for example) you could go to a defensive answer such as Skarmory. But on BO, chances are, you won't have a mon who full on counters such a defensive mon and would therefore have to sack. Instead you would have been better trying to predict Pinsir coming in and doubling out to an answer such as Tapu Koko.

Of course, BO has defensive switch ins to some mons, or else it'd be Hyper offence. Mons found in this group are mons like Defensive Lando-T, Tangrowth, Mega-Scizor, Rotom-Wash, Ferrothorn. But they're more pivots than walls, helping to gain offensive pressure by VoltTurning/Setting hazards/Threatening with coverage or status.

TL/DR: Balance: defensive synergy + a small offensive core
Bulky Offense: offensive synergy + a small defensive backbone.

It's not balance because the team isn't centred around a defensive backbone. It hasn't been made because of the defensive synergy but rather you have a number of mons who rely on offensive pressure and momentum in order to win games.

With balance, a large part of the game is being able to switch out into bulkier mons who can heal off the damage, whilst with BO, in general doing this kills the momentum of the team and due to the frailer nature of the team, allowing your opponent to bring in a breaker means you're in a weaker position.

A great example would be looking at Mega Venusaur; whose defensive sets only really fit on balance, due to being forced to recover so option. On balance, you can bring it in on a mon, then after your opponent goes to Mega Pinsir (for example) you could go to a defensive answer such as Skarmory. But on BO, chances are, you won't have a mon who full on counters such a defensive mon and would therefore have to sack. Instead you would have been better trying to predict Pinsir coming in and doubling out to an answer such as Tapu Koko.

Of course, BO has defensive switch ins to some mons, or else it'd be Hyper offence. Mons found in this group are mons like Defensive Lando-T, Tangrowth, Mega-Scizor, Rotom-Wash, Ferrothorn. But they're more pivots than walls, helping to gain offensive pressure by VoltTurning/Setting hazards/Threatening with coverage or status.

TL/DR: Balance: defensive synergy + a small offensive core
Bulky Offense: offensive synergy + a small defensive backbone.
I think i am getting it, so BO doesn't uses walls because it's easy to play around it,the defensive nature of the team is build using pivots and offensive mons with some defensive capacities like zygarde(or in my team case, primarina since she's the only thing in my team that can easily take a-gren) but offensive things like gren and koko can easily be placed here, while balanced is something between stall and BO, being based in defensive cores and having an offensive core too? So i guess every mon viable in BO can e used in balanced according to the balanced team?

Last edited:
I think i am getting it, so BO doesn't uses walls because it's easy to play around it,the defensive nature of the team is build using pivots and offensive mons with some defensive capacities like zygarde(or in my team case, primarina since she's the only thing in my team that can easily take a-gren) but offensive things like gren and koko can easily be placed here, while balanced is something between stall and BO, being based in defensive cores and having am offensive core too? So i guess every mon viable in BO can e used in balanced according to the balanced team?
Yeah that's pretty much it! There are mons which are better on BO than on balance, glass cannons for one naturally fit better on teams which are based on momentum due to it being much harder to get them in on defensive teams as tactical sacking doesn't happen until later on in the game generally.

Ultimately, the playstyle of a team is in name only. It's always a great start to make a team with an archetype in mind, but it's more about knowing the purpose of your team.

Yeah that's pretty much it! There are mons which are better on BO than on balance, glass cannons for one naturally fit better on teams which are based on momentum due to it being much harder to get them in on defensive teams as tactical sacking doesn't happen until later on in the game generally.

Ultimately, the playstyle of a team is in name only. It's always a great start to make a team with an archetype in mind, but it's more about knowing the purpose of your team.
Thank u for the help, when I build my team i wasn't thinking "oh i want to build a BO team" i was like "o want tô use TR magearna + a-marowak" and then start building around, and i think that my team fits more in BO than in HO since I use the defensive capacities of my mons a lot, and even that my team lack pivots and i have gren, exca and pinsir, i understood that BO uses the combination of fast and powerfull mons + bulky and powerfull mons + pivots to beat the enemy team right?

1. Is there a thread similar to this one for OU? I know about the SM OU Role Compendium, but I'm more specifically interested in the 'Checks and Counters' section.

2. Is there any way at all to make the battle window on Showdown larger? I don't care about the quality drop, but seems awkward to have the battle screen take up less than 1/4 of the window.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)