CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6a

What should our new Pokemon look like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i really don't like any of these...but i do think they could work with some tweaking...make them more cartoony. i think a big part of the problem is that none of them is drawn in an inherently anime style...if we try to do that, then i think a lot of the problem will go away...

withholding vote for awhile, haven't decided yet...

for any of those i can see insomnia, i think that's a very viable choice. clear body/white smoke might be a viable option too, particularly the djinn or marionette...it might be too much with bulk up though...and last addition, i think super luck might be worth consideration...

and there is no standard for what a Pokemon is and isn't.
QFT though I expect someone to disagree with you.

What good discussion would be: POSSIBLE abilities for any of these three Pokemon. I devoted most of my though to the Kana (perfect opportunity for special intimidate). Also, I want some original ideas, not levitate/pressure/guts (aka the most whored ability for these two types).
Intimidate? Shadow Tag? Some new ability that lay curses on those who touch it? "Hump"?

All the people that didn't want the BANETTE evo and the genie, who doesn't look pokemonish are coting mummy this time round... good deal! XD

Okay. People shut up about the this looks/ doesn't look like a Pokemon. You will never convince the other side and there is no standard for what a Pokemon is and isn't. It's not good discussion at all.

What good discussion would be: POSSIBLE abilities for any of these three Pokemon. I devoted most of my though to the Kana (perfect opportunity for special intimidate). Also, I want some original ideas, not levitate/pressure/guts (aka the most whored ability for these two types).

I could see the Djinn getting No Guard. The entire back story actually screams No Guard, but that makes this even more eerily similar to Machamp.
Actually, I think all three do look like Pokemon, just don't think the typing seems right for them.

I've said it before, but Insomnia isn't overpowered and thematically makes sense, though Vital Spirit would work better with the Djinn. Immunity would make a good second ability for the mummy (you cannot poison zombies) and possibly the Djinn as well.
I like the mentioning of the D&D mummies earlier, and was thinking about how their stats are related, how good spec def, works much like strong magical immunity and such. As often as I hate seeing the ability, with the mummy, ugh, pressure sounds good. It tanks, it absorbs power, ectera.
This also feels bad saying, but Sand Veil? Giving it immunity to sandstorms (its a freaking mummy), it would be one of the few pokes that I think it would be just on. Giving it to garchomp, seriously, was almost a joke of why not make this shark even sillier than it already is...But you might see the mummy hanging out next to a Cacturn, and it would look approperate, so why not sand stream.

Vital Spirit on the Djinn works great, but I think so would Guts, seeing as its an "eternal guardian" kinda thing, your not going to slow it down.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Marionette wins my vote this time. Looks the coolest although I think it's too complicated to make it into a sprite.

Voted Marionette because i would want to use it, and the fact that it will not be a Banette evo pleases me.

I was thinking Sand Veil for the mummy too, but I thought it was a bit much. I don't really like pressure as the mummy is already kind of similar to Dusknoir. Guts would work well for the Djinn.

Since mummies are traditionally weak to fire, we could give it Dry Skin.

My thoughts of abilities:

Mummy: Insomnia, Aftermath, Inner Focus
Djinn: For some reason i was thinking Battle Armor, maybe Guts, Mold Breaker
Marionette: Insomnia, Aftermath, Hustle, Limber, Super Luck

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Gardevoir: It has no legs to begin with. It's body is a skirt...
Actually, in PBR, Gardevoir was revealed to have legs. They are very long and skinny though.

Some Abilities I thought of for these three:

For the Mummy:
-Immunity

-Aftermath (Goes with the whole mummy's curse thing)

-Dry Skin (Raggedy wraps would be very dry over time, making them brittle to flame. Also makes a good addition to rain teams. :o )

-No Guard (Following suit to the Zelda inspiration, Once a Gibdo paralyzes you with its gaze, you are unable to move or act. This could be plausible here.)

-Steadfast

-lol pressure

DJinn:

-No Guard

-Insomnia

-Anger Point

Marionette:

-Insomnia

-Frisk

-Forewarn

-Bad Dreams (I know it's Darkrai exclusive, but I can see it working somehow. O_O )

My thoughts ...

Mummy: A simple, yet effective design that could work fairly well. For abilities, Insomnia would probably be my first choice, and Immunity could work, but something unique like Dry Skin could work, as well. It would help it have a huge weakness in Infernape while letting it simultaneously counter Gyarados. It already counters Heracross and, in some cases, Tyranitar. It already resists Stone Edge from Gyarados, and soaking up any Waterfalls would be a nice little ability. Yet, it would not be overpowered -- Infernape, Heatran, and anything with a Fire-typed attack would destroy it. While it gets another immunity in Water, it gets a needed added weakness to accompany Ghost, Flying, and Psychic.

Djinn: I love the design, but it would need some tweaking in the spriting process to become more Pokemon-esque. For abilities, Vital Spirit would undoubtedly be my top choice. Thick Fat might not be a bad idea, either. Immunity works here, too, as does Clear Body. Another thing to think about is Forewarn, being a Genie, and all. Hustle, being very strong without eyes, could also work.

Marionette: Simply too Banette-esque for me, and doesn't really fit the base statistics. The first ability that screamed out to be was Limber.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When I was designing the Djinn, I was thinking that the ability could be tied to the fact that it has no normal senses, only a Sixth Sense. To me that would be Clear Body, or "Clear Mind" actually. But the effect is the same. It doesn't fall for stat-lowering effects, almost all of which are tied to the normal senses (Intimidate, Screech, Metal Sound, Charm, etc.).

Maybe you could even go with Unaware, but that could get broken very quickly... Still, Unaware might be fun on something other than a freaking Bibarel!

Well, again, the marionette doesn't look bulky, it looks fast, even, and it looks like a Banette evolution (and a single type Ghost). I think it's the popular choice for those who stop in the thread for ten seconds, and check out which "looks the coolest!", or which is "the most powerful!" Again, it looks cool and powerful, but I'd much prefer the mummy or Doug's design to win, I voted for both of those. Kinda sad the Kana didn't make it, but I guess that doesn't look very bulky, either.

@FutureSuperstar: A whole list of ability options that neither includes some random made up broken ability, Intimidate, or Levitate. :') Happy tears. I personally really like Vital Spirit and Insomnia for both of my preferences.

The Djinn looks too muscular to get Thick Fat, but Hustle is a nice ability. It would work well with Shadow Punch. Iron Fist is obvious, what with him actually having metal fists.

Aftermath I'm not too sure about; I've always believed that it results from the KO'ed pokemon blowing up. Intimidate would work on the mummy, but with those defenses it's more than a little unfair.

Mummy: Dry Skin could work, as well. It would help it have a huge weakness in Infernape while letting it simultaneously counter Gyarados. It already counters Heracross and, in some cases, Tyranitar. It already resists Stone Edge from Gyarados, and soaking up any Waterfalls would be a nice little ability. Yet, it would not be overpowered -- Infernape, Heatran, and anything with a Fire-typed attack would destroy it. While it gets another immunity in Water, it gets a needed added weakness to accompany Ghost, Flying, and Psychic.
I like the countering of the Dos, but don't like it losing to a freaking toilet seat but if it make sure appearance wise then what the hey.

Djinn: Hustle, being very strong without eyes, could also work.
I kinda like this suggestion for the Djinn really. Like what Viashino_Wizard said, works great with Shadow Punch and/or Vital Throw.

I've done some thinking, and Dry Skin actually doesn't make a lot of thematic sense, because it loses HP in Bright Sunlight.

A desert-dwelling mummy that's hurt by the sun.

Wut.

I dunno, maybe it catches on fire or something.

KoA

is an Artist
The weakness to fire might not be too bad either because IIRC, Dry Skin only adds a 25% increase to fire damage, right?

KoA

is an Artist
I've done some thinking, and Dry Skin actually doesn't make a lot of thematic sense, because it loses HP in Bright Sunlight.

A desert-dwelling mummy that's hurt by the sun.

Wut.

I dunno, maybe it catches on fire or something.
Kinda funny you mention that. In Ocarina of Time, when you played the Sun's Song, it would "freeze" the Gibdos and Redeads.

Likewise, if you used any fire attack on them, like a Fire Arrow, they would burn and turn into Redeads.

Funny...

Woah, big shock for me. Here I think, "Oh god, the stupid marionette's going to win and we're going to have a new Banette," and it turns out the thing no one voted for last time is making a huge comeback! I personally have no problem with the mummy, as it was my second choice all along, but I still had to go with the Djinn. It just fits the stats way too well.

EDIT: Zombie Vampire is better. I Am Legend anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)