CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6b

What should our new Pokemon look like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
too early to suggest a movelist? this would be for the mummy...

lv1 - pound
lv1 - defense curl
lv4 - sand attack
lv10 - astonish
lv14 - confuse ray
lv21 - karate chop
lv26 - scary face
lv32 - curse
lv37 - shadow punch
lv44 - brick break
lv49 - shadow ball
lv57 - hammer arm
lv66 - heal block

egg moves: spite, grudge, snatch, punishment, shadow sneak, bone rush, sand tomb, dizzy punch, smog, knock off, mach punch, vacuum wave

tms:
tm1 - focus punch
tm6 - toxic
tm8 - bulk up
tm10 - hidden power
tm11 - sunny day
tm12 -taunt
tm15 - hyper beam
tm17 - protect
tm20 - safeguard
tm21 - frustration
tm27 - return
tm30 - shadow ball
tm31 - brick break
tm32 - double team
tm39 - rock tomb
tm40 - aerial ace
tm41 - torment
tm44 - rest
tm45 - attract
tm46 - thief
tm56 - fling
tm58 - endure
tm60 - drain punch
tm63 - embargo
tm66 - payback
tm68 - giga impact
tm70 - flash
tm79 - dark pulse
tm82 - sleep talk
tm83 - natural gift
tm90 - substitute
hm6 - rock smash
hm8 - rock climb

i know the tm list looks really long, but it's mostly the filler crap. i envisioned the breeding groups being human shape and indeterminate. so no bulk up/mach punch/shadow sneak, as much as i'd love that moveset. i also included a lot of random support moves.

whatcha think?

i was sad because every time i settled for my second choice (after my first lost horribly), it lost...

...my third choice usually won though (i picked a tolerable one that had a chance of winning)... go mummy

Me and Mom. Mom and me. I said to Mom, "Look Mom -- a mummy." Mom was mum, and mum was me, as me and Mom mulled the mummy. The mummy was mum, then spoke to me. "I'm a mommy too", said he. I said to my Mom what he said to me, "He's a mommy mummy, Mom." And Mom said, "I see. If he's a mommy mummy it must be he's a she, not a he." So off we went, us happy three. Me, Mom, and the mommy mummy, she not he.
this made my lol though :toast:

ps: can i use this as my sig?

Urza, we'll have a better idea of movepool after the Ability is chosen. I also don't want this to get Pain Split/Recover so that it is forced into less of a Dusknoir role. In fact, we could just not give this Rest instead of giving it Insomnia. The only recovery move I find viable on a mummy is Moonlight, which is really interesting if it gets Dry Skin. The translation of Clear Skies --> Sunny Day really messed up a lot of context. And I really want to know how Clear Skies affects Dry Skin in a literal sense, since English translation usually doesn't affect Japanese move design.

ahhh, sorry...i missed the fact that ability was next.

i would like to submit a movelist then, even though there are definitely certain people more qualified than me to do so. helps me improve my theorymon...

thanks hyra!

Voted Marionette because i would want to use it in my team and i would rather focus more on countering the mummy than using it

EDIT: Now that the mummy is almost certain to win, ill just try to come up with a list of possible abilities:

-Insomnia (obviously)
-Aftermath
-Intimidate (sort of)
-Frisk
-Hustle
-Inner Focus
-Keen Eye
-Limber
-No Guard (could be overpowering though)

Now that the mummy is almost certain to win, ill just try to come up with a list of possible abilities:
Dry Skin, Forewarn, Vital Spirit/Insomnia, Rough Skin, and Immunity would all be useful, interesting abilities.
I'd definitely advocate Immunity seeing as it's dead.

But then again, there are a ton of ghost pokemon that are dead and may still be poisoned. Banette was never even alive to begin with, having originated from...a doll. There is no real precedent among ghosts to give the CaP that ability. Gengar doesn't count.

Who cares about precedent? It's not terribly broken and I'd like to see something that can use it and it to be reasonable.

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is being discussed in the art thread, but what's this thing's movepool looking like? I kinda like the idea of giving it Rock Slide but not Stone Edge so Gyara/Mence remain decent counters. Bulk Up really doesn't fit on either of them, but as I mentioned in the last topic it's definitely the focus of the stat spread, so...eh. From a design standpoint the mummy does look like it could use Taunt.
Agree on all counts.

We're really way past the time for arguing about its type, but whatever.

Both of them scream Taunt, really. We shouldn't give it WoW or Pain Split to keep it from impinging on Dusknoir's territory. I can see the mummy using Hammer Arm and Superpower, along with Shadow Punch and probably both STAB priority moves.
Again, I agree.

too early to suggest a movelist? this would be for the mummy...

lv1 - pound
lv1 - defense curl
lv4 - sand attack
lv10 - astonish
lv14 - confuse ray
lv21 - karate chop
lv26 - scary face
lv32 - curse
lv37 - shadow punch
lv44 - brick break
lv49 - shadow ball
lv57 - hammer arm
lv66 - heal block

egg moves: spite, grudge, snatch, punishment, shadow sneak, bone rush, sand tomb, dizzy punch, smog, knock off, mach punch, vacuum wave

tms:
tm1 - focus punch
tm6 - toxic
tm8 - bulk up
tm10 - hidden power
tm11 - sunny day
tm12 -taunt
tm15 - hyper beam
tm17 - protect
tm20 - safeguard
tm21 - frustration
tm27 - return
tm30 - shadow ball
tm31 - brick break
tm32 - double team
tm39 - rock tomb
tm41 - torment
tm44 - rest
tm45 - attract
tm46 - thief
tm56 - fling
tm58 - endure
tm60 - drain punch
tm63 - embargo
tm66 - payback
tm68 - giga impact
tm70 - flash
tm79 - dark pulse
tm83 - natural gift
tm90 - substitute
hm6 - rock smash
hm8 - rock climb

i know the tm list looks really long, but it's mostly the filler crap. i envisioned the breeding groups being human shape and indeterminate. so no bulk up/mach punch/shadow sneak, as much as i'd love that moveset. i also included a lot of random support moves.

whatcha think?
And this, this is excellent. A good mix of filler moves and actually useful moves, good STAB options at the expense of pitiful type coverage (although I'd give it at least Rock Slide), and already adresses the problem of having Bulk Up, Mach Punch and Shadow Sneak in one moveset.

Regarding the ability, first of all, I'd like to reiterate my complete opposition against Dry Skin: It only makes sense on the "takes more damage from fire" bit! Insomnia looks good, and I propose again Synchronize because of the whole "resentful spirit" thing that a mummy inherently has.

Oh, voted the mummy, obviously.

Voted Mummy

And I want to remention Shed Skin as an ability. Throwing off some old bandages to get rid of a burn or something makes sense.

Voted Mummy

And I want to remention Shed Skin as an ability. Throwing off some old bandages to get rid of a burn or something makes sense.
Oh, yes, I forgot about it. Shed Skin could be a neat addition, indeed. And, as you said, makes perfect sense.

The poll for ability is going to be interesting they are so many abilities that fit it.

A couple moves jump up out to me as moves that it should get sand attack, grudge, curse, spite, scary face, mean look, sand tomb,punishment.I see the moves being distributed 40% Mummy related 40% ghost related and 20% fighting related.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deck tries his hand at mummified movepool:

Level 1: Pound
Level 1: Leer
Level 6: Wrap
Level 10: Karate Chop
Level 16: Disable
Level 22: Shadow Sneak
Level 28: Curse
Level 33: Brick Break
Level 39: Shadow Punch
Level 46: Glare
Level 52: Cross Chop
Level 57: Shadow Ball
Level 64: Aura Sphere

Egg Moves:
Confuse Ray
Pursuit
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Grudge
Mean Look
Ominous Wind
Hypnosis

TMs:
01 Focus Punch
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
13 Ice Beam
14 Blizzard
15 Hyper Beam
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
19 Giga Drain
21 Frustration
24 Thunderbolt
25 Thunder
26 Earthquake
27 Return
29 Psychic
30 Shadow Ball
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
34 Shock Wave
39 Rock Tomb
41 Torment
42 Facade
43 Secret Power
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
52 Focus Blast
53 Energy Ball
56 Fling
58 Endure
60 Drain Punch
61 Will-O-Wisp
63 Embargo
66 Payback
68 Giga Impact
70 Flash
71 Stone Edge
76 Stealth Rock
77 Psyche Up
78 Captivate
79 Dark Pulse
80 Rock Slide
82 Sleep Talk
83 Natural Gift
85 Dream Eater
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
92 Trick Room
H4 Strength
H6 Rock Smash
H8 Rock Climb

This should make it interesting. Some might whine about Boltbeam, but it's either punches or weak special moves. A Mummy shouldn't be getting fire moves under any circumstances, bar Will-O-Wisp. This has a few other draining related moves and a lot of filler in special attacks. It doesn't get Shadow Claw or any slashing moves because it has no claws. I don't have Sand Tomb on this, but I do have Wrap.

i thought about fire punch t&b, but it didn't seem to make sense coming from something covered in dried out cloth rags...nor with the possible discussion of dry skin.

i know hyra doesn't want to talk movesets, but i have to say that mine does need something to set it apart, something from another column than dark/ghost/fighting/normal...i was toying around with the idea of a few other attacks, possibly psycho cut...but it has nothing to cut with, which eliminates a few other attacks too...i toyed around with mirror move, gastro acid, future sight, magic coat, imprison, reflect/light screen, trick room, ancient power...all attacks that make sense for a mummy preserved for centuries, or in connection with pyramids...flavor is important.

however, i agree, it does need at least one elemental physical attack for a bit more diversity...

edit: lawl at wrap, i think that's good deck. however, i don't think that boltbeam punches are a good idea, i remember ages ago suggesting icy wind (which i also toyed around with, again, makes sense flavor wise, the ghost being dead and all) and was solidly shut down...ice attacks counter its counters too well, as do electric. i think hidden power has to be the only place it gets most of its elemental offense. also, because this is a fighter, i think a lot of the usual ghost attacks have to disappear...ie thunder/bolt, ice beam, etc...remember this lived underground, weather attacks don't make sense. earthquake maybe, but that attack is so whored anyway...i think you added some things i missed, but overall, i dont think it needs too much versatility to do its job. heracross has a predictable moveset, but still causes havoc...or for a better comparison, dusknoir has a small list of viable moves, but still does its job quite well...

and on the heracross note...i'm adding aerial ace. just because it's kind of floaty, lots of things get it...and it helps it counter heracross.

Personally like Deck Knights idea of it's moveset though take out his egg move list and put Urza instead. This thing doesn't need BoltBeam punch combo as we need all the counters it could get lol

i'm working on a revised list with time mage, but the only thing i really object to on deck's is a priority move via level up...too much imho, i know it's not that powerful, but after a few bulk ups...which i think this thing could easily get in, great defenses and a switch inducing type...i donno.

i'll post my new moveset later today. thanks for taking it seriously!

already address the problem of having Bulk Up, Mach Punch and Shadow Sneak in one moveset.
Technically that problem is naturally addressed if it doesn't learn either Shadow Sneak or Mach Punch as a level-up since neither breeding group have a pokey that can learn them together.

yeah....and right now deck has shadow sneak as a level up move. that's why i opted for shadow punch.

also, with all the brightpowder chomps running rampant, i like the idea of cannot miss moves. especially with stab.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i thought about fire punch t&b, but it didn't seem to make sense coming from something covered in dried out cloth rags...nor with the possible discussion of dry skin.

i know hyra doesn't want to talk movesets, but i have to say that mine does need something to set it apart, something from another column than dark/ghost/fighting/normal...i was toying around with the idea of a few other attacks, possibly psycho cut...but it has nothing to cut with, which eliminates a few other attacks too...i toyed around with mirror move, gastro acid, future sight, magic coat, imprison, reflect/light screen, trick room, ancient power...all attacks that make sense for a mummy preserved for centuries, or in connection with pyramids...flavor is important.

however, i agree, it does need at least one elemental physical attack for a bit more diversity...

edit: lawl at wrap, i think that's good deck. however, i don't think that boltbeam punches are a good idea, i remember ages ago suggesting icy wind (which i also toyed around with, again, makes sense flavor wise, the ghost being dead and all) and was solidly shut down...ice attacks counter its counters too well, as do electric. i think hidden power has to be the only place it gets most of its elemental offense. also, because this is a fighter, i think a lot of the usual ghost attacks have to disappear...ie thunder/bolt, ice beam, etc...remember this lived underground, weather attacks don't make sense. earthquake maybe, but that attack is so whored anyway...i think you added some things i missed, but overall, i dont think it needs too much versatility to do its job. heracross has a predictable moveset, but still causes havoc...or for a better comparison, dusknoir has a small list of viable moves, but still does its job quite well...

and on the heracross note...i'm adding aerial ace. just because it's kind of floaty, lots of things get it...and it helps it counter heracross.

This thing already counters Heracross to hell with 4x resist to Megahorn, Immunity to Close Combat, resistance to Stone Edge, and Nuetrality to Pursuit.

I suppose Ice and Electric attacks do whale hard on its primary counters (flying types), but it's slower than all of them. Shadow Sneak is useless on its primary counters since Staraptor/Togekiss are immune and Honchkrow resists. Other Ghosts not named Dusknoir or Spiritomb shouldn't even try to counter this, and Cresselia should pick it's fight wisely. Mach Punch I thought was a bit much. Not many slow fighters get Mach Punch, not even Machamp (who does, oddly enough, get Bullet Punch). Metagross should be able to handle this just fine, no-one is suggesting Close Combat. Will-O-Wisp will hurt Groos though, but leaves this with something like 4-moveslot syndrome.

Dragons aren't really direct counters to this, unless Salamence starts carrying HP Flying on Specs or Aerial Ace on physical sets. Garchomp is tough but quite frankly giving this Ice Punch alone will tell Chompy to take a hike.

Hippowdon would make a good counter even with Ice Punch (Ice Beam not so much), since it can Roar it out and Slack Off damage.

Shed Skin ability would make this quite formidable, with potential 1-turn Rests and impeding any kind of last-pokemon Toxistalling.

I really like Deck Knights level up moves (although Heal Block would be a good addition). For some reason I feel Brick Break should be done with a kick, but maybe that's just me. Pursuit would fit on there really well too and maybe Drain Punch.

I like Deck Knights egg moves a bit more too, but the punches are meh. I like Hypnosis, but it might be too good. Spite and maybe Snatch should be there.

DK's TMs are just a bit too much. I don't like seeing Wow on this thing.

I've already said why I'm strongly against giving him Will-o'-Wisp. I like Deck's moveset, though I think he should get Hammer Arm and maybe Superpower as his primary Fighting STAB. I also liked Urza's breeding system where Bulk Up/Shadow Sneak/Mach Punch is still impossible but you can choose which priority STAB you want. IMO, Ice Beam/Blizzard don't make much sense on this guy, and the BoltBeam punches make him harder to counter- just give him Ice Punch to take on the dragons. I think it would be better to take away Thunderbolt and leave Thunder as his only special Electric attack. I think he should have the ability to use Light Screen, seeing as how he's got this Magic Resistance theme going.

On the subject of abilities, I honestly have trouble accepting Dry Skin. I don't really like Sand Veil on something that can Bulk Up, so I suggest an ability that, say, provides immunity to sandstorm and ignores the effects of Sand Veil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)