Splatoon

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
So I just went 10-0 with regular Aerospray. Literally all I did was get to the boxes in mid and start spamming seeker mines, then blast away with Aerospray if they got too close. Think I found my new favorite weapon :)
Also Splattershot Pro runs out of ink entirely too quick to be useful :(

So I played every single testfire when they went up, and I've gotta say it was an insane amount fun. Is it just me or did anyone else notice rollers are a bit "unbalanced", not so much to where they need a nerfing. However, as someone who was dead set on being a "sniper" it's tough to see the benefits it has over the splattershot and most notably the roller.

I'm stuck waiting on it to get to my mailbox since I have to wait for Overseas shipping (longest week of my life), but I can definitely see this being a great new groundbreaking IP for Nintendo. Fun as all hell, interesting design choice, quirky characters, this game has it all. Can't wait to play the full version. If and when it gets here.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
All the weapons boil down to who catches who at what range, and at what elevation. Iirc the testfires didn't have maps like Arowana Mall where there's tons of elevated platforms that actually make having a charger very beneficial, while rollers are basically at the mercy of anybody above them. I think the weapons are actually very well balanced, and fights will come down to who out-zoned who.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly I hate rolling Arowana Mall when I'm using charger; it has a lot of high ground but it can be very difficult to actually hit someone. If you're trying to snipe someone down below, they can just hug a wall and you can't do anything to them. I actually think the chargers are best on Saltspray Rig and whatever the new Port stage is. On Saltspray Rig there's a couple places with high ground that face the same problems as Arowana Mall, but some of them are right by a major choke point (the entrance to the upper area from the side hallways). It's also easy to defend the lower area as a charger; your blasts (with Splat Charger) have just enough range to hit directly across from the upper paths leading to them, you have a lot of room to kill from below, and the relative lack of obstacles makes emergency close-range combat easier than in tighter spaces. The Port stage, on the other hand, is just a bunch of really long hallways. You can actually cover ground. It's so satisfying.

Chargers are obviously the worst weapon in terms of point gain, but they're really valuable for guarding key areas like the midfield in Urchin Underpass or the tower on Blackbelly Skatepark (which is incidentally a very risky spot for a charger, as it has high traffic). They actually have some use in Walleye Warehouse, which is for the most part a very flat stage, meaning you don't have to make awkward vertical adjustments with the motion controls to splatter a bunch of people.

Quick shoutout to the Kelp Splat Charger for having the Sprinkler, which is great for inking out-of-the-way spots (and is a nice way to maintain an advantage in ranked battle!).

I got a 6:3 kill ratio in a game last night against Haruno; that's the best I can remember by that measure alone. Two of each were him. Of course, Splatoon doesn't record those stats :(

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
dear friends i am currently eyeing up a splatoon wii u console pack, would it be worth it? are there enough good games on the wii u to merit a purchase?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
dear friends i am currently eyeing up a splatoon wii u console pack, would it be worth it? are there enough good games on the wii u to merit a purchase?
even without splatoon i say yes

edit: ftr my current game library is: dkc:tf, pikmin 3, hyrule warriors, captain toad, nsmbu, 3d world, metroid prime trilogy (eshop buy), some other shit idr right now cuz its late and im too lazy to check

Probably. There's basically no third party support outside of indie titles so if you want an eighth gen console that can play most 3rd party franchises, steer clear. Other than that, the first party selection is awesome. Smash, MK8, and Splatoon make for good online multiplayer. Bayonetta, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, and Pikmin are great single player games. There's just maybe a month or two between every worthwhile release. There's also the wii's library from backwards compatibility and the eShop which has cool stuff like DK64, Pushmo World, and Guacamelee.

It might not be available in other countries, but you can also buy refurbished from Nintendo for a bit lower. You can get a $200 Wii U Console with Nintendo Land and $60 Splatoon as oppose to the $300 Splatoon bundle; its not too much lower but eh 40 bucks. I've bought products refurbished from Nintendo before and they were like new both times.

I don't have this game but I have a odd question for you guys.

Do any of you see this being a tournament style game? Where people actually have teams and there are legit tournaments for it? Or is skill not so much in this game where a premade team is unnecessary? I love team strategy games (like MOBA style games) and this game looks pretty nice so I was just wondering if it could make it there.

as nice as it would be, without a lobby system or any kind of custom games it's currently impossible to set up a premade 4v4 in any way, so until they add that in at a later date it's literally impossible for a tournament to form.

even if it had that, though, it's kind of iffy on whether there's enough depth and versatility to make a real competitive scene. if two or three weapons end up being leagues ahead of the others, every "team comp" would probably be the same and it wouldn't really be so much strategy as it would be mindless splattering. I'd consider any kind of pro scene to be a pipe dream at this point, but who knows it could happen. It would probably be small scale with no/very few official Nintendo-run tournaments, like Smash.

I'm addicted to the inkbrush. It's a lot less about confrontation and more about just running around inking stuff / ignoring opponents and escaping to ink more stuff with your speed. I can see it sucking in splat zone, but I seem to being doing well with it in turf war.

spawn killing seems pretty legit in this game, i'll be sure to master the art

for someone with little unlocked would you say gear is a top priority? judging from the posts in here i take it they're little boosts with no tradeoff compared to going unequipped? i'm only level 3 but i want my character to be "good" before i think about tradeoffs. For rollers I assume you'll want mobility or defense since you 1-shot everything anyway (unless, technically, you use your ranged blast, which the imgur author oddly did not cover). I could see damage modifiers making a difference when regeneration/passive damage comes into play as well?

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For rollers I assume you'll want mobility or defense since you 1-shot everything anyway (unless, technically, you use your ranged blast, which the imgur author oddly did not cover). I could see damage modifiers making a difference when regeneration/passive damage comes into play as well?
I'm very interested in how the strength up upgrades affect the Inkbrush's melee as well, as it's currently heartbreakingly weak.

I'm very interested in how the strength up upgrades affect the Inkbrush's melee as well, as it's currently heartbreakingly weak.
they are pretty much useless in general

Why strength and defense buffing equipment are pretty much useless

Granted, some of those almost 2/3-hkos could get there if your enemy was hurt by your ink on the ground or something, but it's still nice to know.
it is not really enough to boost the inkbrush into combat usability, but you can kill someone pretty quick from point blank range because you can swing it as fast as you can press ZR. it's a 4HKO that can go down to 3 apparently if multiple of the ink blobs hit (which seems to be pretty random but easier the closer you get)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
it is not really enough to boost the inkbrush into combat usability, but you can kill someone pretty quick from point blank range because you can swing it as fast as you can press ZR. it's a 4HKO that can go down to 3 apparently if multiple of the ink blobs hit (which seems to be pretty random but easier the closer you get)
Just to clarify: I was talking about the effect of SUs on that same attack you just mentioned (ninja-style swiping attack), nothing more.

To spruce up this post, let me ask another question: I've noticed that the Amiibo challenges unlock exclusive gear, has anyone picked them up yet? And if so, how are they combat-wise? Useful or just some cool-looking threads? Or do they vary, too?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've never been let down by a team so hard. In Underpass I was killing it at the spawn for a full minute, absolutely tearing through and letting the enemy make no progress. My team did absolute squat, and when I died with about 45 seconds left they opponents tore through them all and ended up winning with 55%. I ended the game with 10-3 as my ratio and more than half of my teams kills. Worst part was I was with 8 lv 19/20 Japanese players while I'm just chilling at 15.

I have also tried a few other weapons but honestly I just keep going back to the Splattershot Jr. I have a range boost and 2 ink saver so nades are useful for the distance game, and in the 1v1 I rarely have to worry about being burned. I have enough movement upgrades as well to easily escape from rollers.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What if you had a spatfest and everyone was dogs?

Doge for win, such ink, very squid, wow.

Although considering a cat is a judge in this game, I don't think we will have a fair fight...

It seems the global misfire testfire connection problems were happening during the Japanese splatfest, so the North American splatfest was delayed to who knows when, which is dissapointing since most of us were probably looking forward to getting super sea snails to upgrade our gear.

Link to nintendo's twitter here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)