Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support.

I did see an /autojoin command in the GitHub but even as I tried it, it didn't work/was useless. It's really time-saving tbh.
Only certain rooms are autojoin such as lobby and certain private staff rooms, allowing each user to set up their own autojoin would be unnecessary

Only certain rooms are autojoin such as lobby and certain private staff rooms, allowing each user to set up their own autojoin would be unnecessary
I don't feel like it would be unnecessary, I think it would be nice for us lazy people who don't fee like doing /join a bunch of times to be able to just set rooms that we always join anyway to be on autojoin.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, it wouldn't.... ?_? It would allow people, such as /roomauth or people that hang out in loads of rooms to join straight away without having to do it 1 by 1 every time they d/c or something like that.

Anyways, it is on the list.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
IMO there should be a command to automatically join rooms when you log in(something like /autojoin), similar to the one on IRC. It'd be convenient as you won't have to /join every room you're usually in every time you join.
You can do http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/[room_you_want_to_be_in] but that only works once, and means you have to bookmark that specific page (never mind the fact you go back to http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ if you enter the team builder/a battle so you can't just refresh the page to join again anyway.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can do http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/[room_you_want_to_be_in] but that only works once, and means you have to bookmark that specific page (never mind the fact you go back to http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ if you enter the team builder/a battle so you can't just refresh the page to join again anyway.
This is more on the idea of going onto Showdown and having the rooms come up automatically, I think we know how to do http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/[room_you_want_to_be_in] If we done that for each room, we would have multiple tabs open with you being in different rooms which is even longer than opening them up 1 by 1.

My suggestion is to fix the damn servers, or at least get better ones. If you won't do that delete the cancel button all together, it is utterly useless and misleading. I cannot tell you how many games i've lost due to this and its very annoying to not just myself but pretty much everyone. Just a heads up

Here is a suggestion, update the Pokémon cries with these ripped from X/Y.

https://www.mediafire.com/?cn6pbqrms1tvjvr

Zarel
Not sure who you'd have to talk to about that, i assume it'd be Zarel or The Immortal

My suggestion is to fix the damn servers, or at least get better ones. If you won't do that delete the cancel button all together, it is utterly useless and misleading. I cannot tell you how many games i've lost due to this and its very annoying to not just myself but pretty much everyone. Just a heads up
Servers cost money and with the 2 ads showdown runs there's not exactly Bill Gates' bank account ready for Zarel to dip his hands into, thats why we rely on donations and such because without the donations of awesome users the servers would be worse than they are now

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
As mentioned above, there is no money lying around for servers to merely be bought. It sure doesn't help that people don't disable their Ad Block on PS (the ad is literally in an easily closed News box and is a non-factor and not intrusive at all).

The cancel button is not useless; the fact of the matter is you shouldn't be blaming server lag for you clicking the wrong button and/or changing your mind after making a move. If anything the cancel button even being an option is a gift to you, me, and all PS users. Technically there doesn't "need" to be a cancel button, however it does exist for our sake. I've had the cancel button work for me before, and I've had it fail on me. I understand your frustration (anyone who battles on PS will), but it is not something so easily solved. Anyways the cancel button was never a failsafe, it's mainly for times where you decide early an your opponent still hasn't locked in a move; thus allowing you a 'second chance' of sorts.

who can interview me for voiced?
Being voiced does not really require to be interviewed. You could simply do the command in Pokemon Showdown ( /faq staff ). Here's a direct link for all your troubles.

http://www.smogon.com/sim/staff_faq

Anyways, getting voiced takes commitment and you pretty much need to contribute to the community and be knowledgeable about Pokemon and such. The upper staff, will promote you if they think you are ready to become a global voice. Like I said before, trying to get global voiced is not easy, but if you can commit, help others, respect authority and provide positive contributions in the Community, you have a really good chance.
Tip: Simply asking for voice won't let you be voiced, in fact, it will probably set you back.
Also, a question like that should probably be posted here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...showdown-edition.3477984/page-43#post-5467048

lol I'd love to see you run a server with over 8000 people on at any given time

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
To be fair, you can't cancel ingame... Think before you click rather than playing on autopilot.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Servers cost money and with the 2 ads showdown runs there's not exactly Bill Gates' bank account ready for Zarel to dip his hands into, thats why we rely on donations and such because without the donations of awesome users the servers would be worse than they are now
As mentioned above, there is no money lying around for servers to merely be bought. It sure doesn't help that people don't disable their Ad Block on PS (the ad is literally in an easily closed News box and is a non-factor and not intrusive at all).
Let me dispel a few misconceptions. We don't rely on donations at all; we get very little money from donations. What we rely on is sponsorship from Smogon.

The problem is, you can't speed up a server by throwing more hardware at the problem. It's like they say, nine women can't work together to make a baby in one month. A similar problem applies to servers: a thread can only run on one processor core.

It is possible, however, to buy a faster processor, instead of buying more processors. Unlike buying more processors, buying faster processors doesn't scale linearly. Not remotely linearly. To give you an idea of how nonlinearly this scales, think of it like this:

-> PS's current sim server is a very powerful server (paid for by our sponsor Smogon University - thanks Smogon!). I'd estimate it to be worth roughly $10,000. Smogon recognizes how powerful PS's server needs to be to handle 10,000 users at a time, so they actually pay more for our servers than for their own servers.

-> Your average server with a processor half as fast could be found at a garage sale for $100.

-> Your average server with a processor twice as fast is a supercomputer in the million-dollar range.

As you can see, we really can't afford a server with a processor twice as fast.

If we want PS to be faster, the only practical way to do that is to make it better at splitting its work up between multiple processes. Good programmers (especially ones good enough to know how to write multi-process code) cost more than $100,000/year and we can't afford to just hire one. So, really, the only thing we can do about lag is wait for me to have some free time so I make the code changes myself.

I hope to have that kind of free time over the next few weeks, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hey
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but I would like to see flexible list of Pokemon in the teambuilder also for less popular metagames. For example if you select CAP tier, you can see CAP, OU, UU, etc. If you select UU tier, it will exclude OU pokemon.
However if you select VGC, Doubles or Hackmons tier, you will see the same list as if you selected OU. This is extremely inconvenient, as many OU pokemon are terrible in those metagames (like Alakazam, Skarmory, etc.). If you are making a team for such tier, then you have these options:
1. You know it all from your head
2. You look it up in pokedex / forums
I suggest making lists for these metagames in the teambuilder based on the threatlist posts from forums.

Hey
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but I would like to see flexible list of Pokemon in the teambuilder also for less popular metagames. For example if you select CAP tier, you can see CAP, OU, UU, etc. If you select UU tier, it will exclude OU pokemon.
However if you select VGC, Doubles or Hackmons tier, you will see the same list as if you selected OU. This is extremely inconvenient, as many OU pokemon are terrible in those metagames (like Alakazam, Skarmory, etc.). If you are making a team for such tier, then you have these options:
1. You know it all from your head
2. You look it up in pokedex / forums
I suggest making lists for these metagames in the teambuilder based on the threatlist posts from forums.
As always showdown is open to users submitting content, I'm not aware of any plans for something like this to be made by a staff member but regular users can try their hands at coding it. You can find the PS code on zarel's github a great example of a non-staff user contributing to the code is the tournament script made by kota/victini/pika

Dou you think it's possible for the Teambuilder to have a "Box" option? I use more than 6 Pokémon on my main team, and it's a bit of a hassle to have to store them as text on a separate file. If there was a box, I'd just rotate them. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but 71 pages was way too much to read.

I believe we should have an option for PP. For example, we could have one, two, or three PP Ups options. This may seem largely irrelevant, but a few examples are Trump Card, which is stuck at 8 but would love to be at 5, or one experience I've had is being Tricked a Scarf by Gothitelle and having 8 trick rooms to use, if I had had only 7, I could've stalled it out and died from Sturggling with Trick Room up, but instead I ended up dieing from struggle without it.
Trick Room - on
Trick Room - off
Trick Room - on
Trick Room- off
Trick Room - on
Trick Room - off
Trick Room - on
Trick Room- off

Whereas with only 7 PP it could've ended in an on. It's extra coding, sure, but it could still be of use, about as much as shit like Pound, but nonetheless, it could be beneficial.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
I believe we should have an option for PP. For example, we could have one, two, or three PP Ups options. This may seem largely irrelevant, but a few examples are Trump Card, which is stuck at 8 but would love to be at 5
Trump Card is in fact not at 8 PP (ignore the display in teambuilder which may show 8). It's clear you haven't tested it either as I recently did so out of paranoia, the move will only have 5 PP in the battle and in the files.
If you require proof follow this link: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/data/moves.js#L14155

Also trump card is really not a good move, on anyone.

I don't know if this has been suggested already (CBA reading through 71 pages of requests), but i think people should be "Timed out" in their rooms. What I mean by this is that if someone has not posted in the chat for a certain amount of time (Say 1 hour) , they should be kicked out of the room, therefore you can actually monitor how many active users there are in a chat room rather than there being so many inactive accounts. This obviously wouldn't apply to moderators as they jump between rooms depending on the situation

I don't know if this has been suggested already (CBA reading through 71 pages of requests), but i think people should be "Timed out" in their rooms. What I mean by this is that if someone has not posted in the chat for a certain amount of time (Say 1 hour) , they should be kicked out of the room, therefore you can actually monitor how many active users there are in a chat room rather than there being so many inactive accounts. This obviously wouldn't apply to moderators as they jump between rooms depending on the situation
This seems like a good idea on face value but problems arise such as what about staff that moderate the rooms but haven't been needed for a while? This would cause them to be kicked out of rooms for no reason and cause them unnecessary annoyance. Also what about users who are laddering? It'd be quite a shame if your kicked out of a room just cos your battling. Also a lot of global staff moderate rooms when their staff are not online for one reason or another so being kicked out of a room your meant to be moderating is counter productive to be honest

Ninety_Nine if you're not talking or doing anything at all in a room for 1/2 hours, then that system works. All it would take is someone perhaps having a mode /auto back (another option could be disabling it totally for global staff). Even if you're battling for an hour, you should try to use an alt for serious battling or at least do something in the rooms you're supposed to be in.

Being kicked is also not ideal. Having the name greyed out like some IRC clients would be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)