Super Smash Brothers Brawl Discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ike uses Aether, not Dolphin Slash.

Anyways I'm finally back after getting most of the roster unlocked. I have to say... I'm pretty appalled at how badly I played in the beginning of the game. It's taken me a looong amount of playtime to get even semi-decent with Yoshi again, sigh.

That said, Yoshi is competitively viable but plays very differently than in Melee. The eggs are harder to control than in melee, and don't do very much in terms of knockback and have no range, but as I continue to improve with Yoshi I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

The lack of a double jump cancel is somewhat troublesome for aerial battles, and it's also really hard to hit with a Fair because the timing has switched again (This goes for meteor smashing and hitting opponents on the ground too). Yoshi's Ground Pound seems to be nerfed from Melee again (WHY SAKURAI, WHY), it just does not have very much knockback. On the upside, Yoshi's Bair is incredibly buffed, it's got at least double the range and damage potential.

That said, Yoshi's moves and Yoshi himself are much, much faster, he's the 11th fastest character and his moves come out a LOT quicker. However, I think that comes at a bit of a price in terms of his strength and weight, he seems lighter and slightly weaker than in Melee, where he was what... 5th heaviest in the game?

I'm sure that he can compete on par with a lot of the top-tier people especially with the awesome buff to his Bair (which was a major factor in racking up damage) and his ground moves, but to be honest I haven't had enough time to completely adjust to make a 100% accurate analysis. Yoshi's changed a lot, some for the good, some for the bad.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't like Pit as much as I first did, now. He needs a meteor...and I need to learn how to use him better. And space his aerials better, ugh.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing the SSE, trying to not speed through it, but enjoy it a tad ;) I unlocked Cap Falcon.... Everyone's beating me ugh.

Quick question, why is Kirby always though of a non-competitive character? Also, who are the "best" top-tier characters.

My favorite so far is Pokemon Trainer, but surprisingly Ivysaur, that thing is just amazing!. Pikachu is again one of my favorites, as well as Link (no big difference but i still like him), Bowser, Ness and.... to my surprise, Wario, i played a lot with Wario on wi-fi today and it was good.

Speaking of Wi-fi it was me or the lag is atrocious?, there was a fight where my Samus was delayed for like 7 seconds and the others looked the same (shitty non-willing moves).

My FC is NES 1762-2388-3434 if you want to battle send me yours!, i battle at nights mostly and sometimes there are other friends for "free for all" so more people to fill holes is necessary :P.

Yes, wifi is a huge disappointment imo. I did like 10 matches on wifi and only 1 of them was lag free for the most part.

we should have a SSBB tournament.
i guess if anyone wants to participate i will set it up and all that good stuff.

rules:
3-4 stock (you and your opponet can decide, because some people think 3 stock is better now).
NO items.
8 minutes.
you and your opponet must agree on a stage.

when pairings are made, you and your opponet need to schedule a time to play. you have 2 days to play the match, if that is enough. if you are a really busy person, i recommend not entering.

im participating, i guess, although i fail pretty hard at this game right now X.X
i was much better at melee, and now that all my precious advanced techs are gone it has stripped me down to the bone to where im not as good as i was before advanced techniques in melee.

I'm so maining snake, edgeguards are so easy with him, his side smash/up smash own people trying to land from an Up B or getting up from a ledge. His big issue is the lack of a good close down smash.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing the SSE, trying to not speed through it, but enjoy it a tad ;) I unlocked Cap Falcon.... Everyone's beating me ugh.

Quick question, why is Kirby always though of a non-competitive character? Also, who are the "best" top-tier characters.
Because Kirby got nerfed in Melee. If you're talking about a tier for Brawl, don't bother asking. It takes a good while before anyone really considers a tier. However, Zelda and DeDeDe are looking good atm, and would be my candidates for a high place in the tier list.

I am surprised at Olimar. My "just for fun" pick has become one of my mains.

Peach... sucks now. WTF. No double jump, terrible lag on many aerial attacks. She lost a ton of priority, her down smash, forward throw and more... its Peach with even less killing power, as if she had too much in Melee.

Marth's range sucks as well. At least he still has killing blows, as well as a couple of new ones. I get better at Olimar faster however.

Ike is surprisingly good. I didn't expect such a slow character to feel so controlled in my hands. It takes a while, but the spike on his aether is just too cheap at edge guarding :-p

Metaknight is quickly proving to be my favorite. Speed is a big plus, but so is his amazing recovery. I love the ability to jump off the stage, finish an opponent while in the air, and get back on the stage with plenty of space. Ike is probably my second best, though I need to get the hang of doing that reverse dash trick that lets you use B-air. Unfortunately, that's a lot harder on Wi-Fi where you get 1-2 seconds of response lag while playing, so...meh.

I thought Dedede would be one of my favorite characters (gotta love how his running attack looks), but for whatever reason I just can't use him correctly.

Just got brawl like a two ago and I still haven't finished the SSE mode. That mode is more of a chore than fun most of the times. I mean seriously, this whole "go to point A to point B" thing gets really old after a few times. Those SSE enemies are more annoying then battling the CPU, and that thing is annoying on itself.

The good news for me is I finally unlock Luke and Falcon from it, long ass wait to even get to the point where they appear though >.>

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why are people so worked about meteor smashes? Sakurai really skewed the meaning for what a Meteor Smash is. It makes it seem like all moves that send you straight downwards are spikes, in which spikes and meteors are supposed to be two completely different things.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had like 4 or 5 input-delay-free matches last night and they were awesome. Other than that, I hated the online =(

The fact that your online matches go through is amazing. I dunno how many I've done, but I haven't had a Wi-Fi match yet. Apparently with friends works fine, but with anyone is just horrible. NOA really needs to step it up.

I've played a few "with anyone" and "with friends" battles. Both have been pretty laggy, about the same amount though. I hope they can get it worked out pretty soon because it's pretty annoying and troublesome.

On another note, even though it's a little laggy if anyone would like to play sometime, send me a PM. :D

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that there is a 1 in around 1000 battles that Cresselia will appear on Spear Pillar. Well, (this was EXTREME LUCK) my first battle on spear pillar CREASSELIA APPEARED. Once I get an SD card (It's sad i don't have one yet) I'll upload it and show you.

I have this game. It's great, I like playing as Ness (PK Fire!!! PK Pulse!!!) Samus, and Kirby.

I want to unlock more characters though... who knows how to do this?

I really hope NOA can do something about it, "with anyone" is cool when you want to practice or just have a quick online match, even when i have friends on my roster is not like they are there for battle all the time :(.

Whew SSBB has been a blast so far. It seems I'm pretty good or/and have potential with a few characters.

Sonic -
Falco -
Toon Link-
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Pit
Peach
and even Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle and Charizard)

But, man, can Wi-Fi matches be a b!tch. We started off with some amazing lag for a ton of matches. The second day however it was a lot better. Just realized that we have found a badass 2v2 setup and definitely looking to play it against a few people if they would be up for a 2v2 match and 1v1 if you are up for that as well.

FC is 0946 - 1924 - 5991

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)