Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started specifically prepping for gambit after the volc/urshifu bans since it was being spammed and owning the rain teams I was using. My strategy is to check it early game with defensive Zapdos (can roost off damage w/out too many supreme overlord boosts, pivot, and potentially static it) and then keep tauros-aqua healthy to check it late game. Even then, gambit still beats me end game sometimes (especially if they saved their tera) which is a testament to how ridiculous it can be.
I use the duck (Quaquaval) and it’s claimed many Gambit rage quits in mid-ladder. People get angry when broken mon gets killed by random UU Pokémon.

Gambit is rediculous though. Almost as bad as that fat ass chump Dragonite. Though, the problem with both is…

Tera.

Ban Tera.

bro forgot what low ladder was like just had a good suspect run ruined by tera psychic zen headbutt defiant gambit lol
fr ~1100 elo is insane some many people making the wildest plays. i lost 2 suspect runs because of low ladder insanity

What do we think about Chomp in the Home meta? I haven’t seen it much. I fear he may drop UU… we’re losing the OU staples…
Chomp was in his lowest this gen. Speed creep is too much on a mon who was "faster than base 100" in the old day now being faster is surpasing the 110 even 120 speed. In gen 8 Chomp got Scale Shot who was DD at home for him but sadly lose going into gen 9. Spikes give Chomp a new roll: a double hazzard lead but still isnt enought and Chomp was bottom 10 usage in the pre Home meta.
Rn Chomp is outclassed as a Dragon by Good ol Dragonite, Dragapult and Roaring Moon. Even the slower Baxcalibur (aka Kyurem at home) is better bc he has 2 form of speed control in Ice Shard and DD. And being a ground type in Great Tusk kingdom is also rought. When you have King Tusk, LandoT, Ting Lu, Cocaine Bear and even Clodsire as ground type competition isn't the best for him: doesn't have the utility of Tusk, the pivoting and Intimidate from Lando, the bulk of Ting Lu, the damage potencial of Cocaine Bear and the defensive niche of Clodsire.
So yeah Chomp is going to UU and i don't think he is going to go to UU. Good bye old friend

Rocky helmet + physically defensive Garchomp w/ hazards will be just fine once Zamazenta gets banned.

Currently, that set is setup fodder for the most broken mon in the tier, so yeah he's not doing good RIGHT NOW... but let another ban go through and then he will have a perfectly defined niche.

Like Gren, everyone though it would get insta banned and it is kinda mid on UU.
Nah gren is pretty good in UU but chomp would be an okay mon tons of things to check it and scarfers as well it would be a lil difficult but nothing the tier couldn't manage (Secret agenda to give orthworm more legitimacy as a steel type lmfao)

I wonder at what point powercreep will be like "oh yea genesect is a mid UU mon"
Just wait for the gen 4 Lets go games, they will add the distortion Pokémon (they got in Giratina's world and had to adapt to survive). They will increase its best stat everytime they make a move (like proto/quark those boost will be different and cannot be reseted or ignored by unaware), and those won't be even be the most busted Pokémon of that gen, they will be just the ultrabest/paradox of that gen.

I wonder at what point powercreep will be like "oh yea genesect is a mid UU mon"
If we assume all generations to have the same level of insane powercreep as the gen 8 -> 9 transition, Genesect probably drops to OU in a generation or two. To UU'll be (if Chomp is any example) 4 generations longer, assuming Gamefreak doesn't give us like 15 viable fire types in gen 11 or something.

Genesect is a bit too good to be "mid in UU" in the forseeable future is what I'm saying.

My heatran post was a joke ;(
I love the little frog thing, but atm with tusk smacking it with either stab and lando-T, treads to an extent, volcanion and other such pokemon like valiant and dnite in the tier I find myself countering it quite easily. How are other people finding the superlavaspiderfrogfromvolcanohell?

People overestimate powercreep tbh, even if some of it is just meming. More often than not, the most obscenely broken stuff is still broken in the following generations. It usually has more to do with mechanical changes, like Manaphy and Torn-T losing permanent rain, Cinderace having Libero nerfed, and Aegislash just getting a hard nerf to its stats. (I usually don't like the idea of testing consistent Ubers for this reason, but I wonder if Deo-D would be an acceptable presence in OU if it returns, considering Boots + all the other obscene hazard setters that are similarly consistent at getting them up) Occasionally it's like Blaziken where the meta has changed enough for it to be healthy, but Blaziken is a Gen 3 starter with balanced stats but a broken ability, while most of the other consistent Ubers are legendaries/mythicals (noob trap but it does matter in terms of BST) from recent gens which have trended towards minmaxing overall. I find it hard to imagine that Landorus-I or Deo-N will ever be okay in OU. Even in NatDex, where old mechanics are preserved and the roster is much larger, the banlist is usually the same mons + things that are uniquely broken b/c Natdex (Pult and Torn-T last gen, Wake this gen)

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think we should stick to Gen 9 OU conversations but Genesect has been good for at least 4 gens, unless it gets nerfed, it'll always be an insane mon.

----

Side note, I've been playing a lot of ladder games recently, and idk I don't think the meta is in a terrible place outside maybe Ursaluna + Sneasler? I've always been borderline on Zama-H, Zama-C was way more broken IMO. We'll see in the next couple of days when I get reqs but I'm leaning towards no ban. I'll probably have a more in-depth breakdown on my thought on the Zama-H suspect thread.

Unfortunately I think chomp just isn't suited to the meta. Great Tusk has a significantly better MU vs relevant threats like Kingambit, has better moves like Knock Off and Spin in a meta dominated by hazards, and significantly better bulk on the physical side, letting it check stuff better with Tera. Garchomp has a niche of being a hazard spammer with phazing, and its not bad at this role, but why use it over Ting-Lu? Rough Skin is a niche perk, but Ting-Lu's bulk lets it more reliably get hazards down.

Honestly, I don't think Chomp should be that bad in theory considering it was a top Pokemon last gen. SD sets didn't even needs Scale Shot to be good, I ran Rock Slide EQ SD SR last gen and it was amazing. However, Chomp's pros don't feel as meaningful this gen over its competition.

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
chomp is about to be uubl
y'all are sleeping on lead chomp

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

It beats lead dragapult because of sash, lead glimm, lead sam-h since it kills itself after rough skin, gets rocks up consistently, hits corv, outspeeds tusk and does 80 with Draco
im trying it on another HO ive made and its working out very well. also beats lead sandy shocks which was one of my bigger problems.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw / Outrage

Just gonna shill my choice scarf set again I guess, this is the best chomp set, I know you all bums are gonna do chain chomp in UU and justify it with "luring" donphan, even tho it works even worse because the thing has sturdy and ice shard

this set uses surprise factor and cleans shit or revenge kills, tera fire helps with all the fairys and burns, the coverage is neutrally perfect, although i can see shit like tera fairy tera blast to lure weak fighting types, who knows

y'all are sleeping on lead chomp

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

It beats lead dragapult because of sash, lead glimm, lead sam-h since it kills itself after rough skin, gets rocks up consistently, hits corv, outspeeds tusk and does 80 with Draco
im trying it on another HO ive made and its working out very well. also beats lead sandy shocks which was one of my bigger problems.
But it loses to darts Pult, Glimm gets hazards anyway, same with Sam-h, Meow taunts and gets spikes, lead Enamorus destroys this thing, IDK, post home seems to be rough for chomp.
Talking about leads, why low ladder loves Azelf so much? Not that I'm losing to it, but it seems weird when there are better options.

Talking about leads, why low ladder loves Azelf so much? Not that I'm losing to it, but it seems weird when there are better options.
Who is better option?

Azelf has explosion with 125 base atk, which also have 125 base spa for powerful psychic chip damage and base 115 speed to outspeed common lead. look at my post on this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-bazaar-post-home-edition.3722209/#post-9653865

Sadly HO became useless now without volcarona

Who is better option?

Azelf has explosion with 125 base atk, which also have 125 base spa for powerful psychic chip damage and base 115 speed to outspeed common lead. look at my post on this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-bazaar-post-home-edition.3722209/#post-9653865

Sadly HO became useless now without volcarona
Meow and Samm don't care much about it and they are common since Pao's ban and may get even better if Zama is banned too. Edit: sam also doesn't care about Hatt which is a big plus.

Meow and Samm don't care much about it and they are common since Pao's ban and may get even better if Zama is banned too. Edit: sam also doesn't care about Hatt which is a big plus.
I think both used on spikes HO while azelf used on screen HO. Too many dark is not good on screen since it requires grimmsnarl & kingambit, unless you use monodark team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)