Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is better option?

Azelf has explosion with 125 base atk, which also have 125 base spa for powerful psychic chip damage and base 115 speed to outspeed common lead. look at my post on this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-bazaar-post-home-edition.3722209/#post-9653865

Sadly HO became useless now without volcarona
check my most recent RMT for a decent HO team. granted it was built before home dropped but it should still be a solid shell (iron moth is still really good)

check my most recent RMT for a decent HO team. granted it was built before home dropped but it should still be a solid shell (iron moth is still really good)
Yes I'd just found out that iron moth is really good, its also a dancer though fiery dance is attacking, not status moves, so it can succeed the volc

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
also, rock polish is literally never worth mentioning when the two previous words in the sentence were "shift gear"
Except Shift Gear was shiny- and nature-locked and thus more telegraphed and easier to deal with (it was Hasty). Rock Polish could capitalize on the fact that people assumed Genesect was running Scarf.

Except Shift Gear was shiny- and nature-locked and thus more telegraphed and easier to deal with (it was Hasty). Rock Polish could capitalize on the fact that people assumed Genesect was running Scarf.
In gen 8 this was mostly irrelevant due to nature mints, meaning the event shiny Genesect could be any nature, thus it was always optimal to just run a shiny Genesect no matter what the set since there was no opportunity cost and you could bluff being Shift Gear/Extreme Speed.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In gen 8 this was mostly irrelevant due to nature mints, meaning the event shiny Genesect could be any nature, thus it was always optimal to just run a shiny Genesect no matter what the set since there was no opportunity cost and you could bluff being Shift Gear/Extreme Speed.
I know nature mints are a thing but skipped out on Gen 8 and didn't know Genesect came back there.

Oh god was SV really that pathetic on launch that they removed that battle box thing in addition to the god knows how many bugs it had? Jesus fucking christ
what happens when you make an entire open world JRPG on an engine designed for topdown games in 2.5 years

shit needed to come out in late 2023 to have a chance and now we just have to live with the consequences

worst part is this will happen again because GF figured out the infinite money glitch: legends arceus and BDSP both sold, they didn't capitalize on the sales of each other, so now they know releasing games in the same fiscal year is actually super beneficial for their investors' bottom lines

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
what happens when you make an entire open world JRPG on an engine designed for topdown games in 2.5 years

shit needed to come out in late 2023 to have a chance and now we just have to live with the consequences

worst part is this will happen again because GF figured out the infinite money glitch: legends arceus and BDSP both sold, they didn't capitalize on the sales of each other, so now they know releasing games in the same fiscal year is actually super beneficial for their investors' bottom lines
Yeah, sadly I agree. Many games these days seems more obssessed with just releasing it even in unfinished states. Redfall is probably the latest example of that. It's a sad time for these types of games given that companies are now more concerned about getting their money rather than giving their players an actual playable game

Yeah, sadly I agree. Many games these days seems more obssessed with just releasing it even in unfinished states. Redfall is probably the latest example of that. It's a sad time for these types of games given that companies are now more concerned about getting their money rather than giving their players an actual playable game
the companies have always wanted to do things like this, they just couldn't because the industry was smaller and reputation mattered more.

now that the gaming industry is ginormous, and most companies are publicly traded, as long as at some point you have gotten trust in the consumer it is in your interest to, in search of short-term profit for investors, release unfinished products

indie games are normally small companies with no outside vested interests, which is why they are more consistently quality. however I'd also say that's because the indie game market has more of a survival of the fittest element to it, where the indie games you hear of had to stand out to begin with

there is more i could say but eh I'm alreadhy rambling, apologies.

503-h.png
Suprisingly has been the most annoying new addition. So useless and weak when I use them, yet everytime I fight one their team manages to keep at least one layer of spikes, and the damage starts to add up very fast.
I thought at least Zapdos checks them and puts my team in a real good spot but some lunatics use Knock Off (or F*CKING laser beam) on HSamurott, which thunderbird really doesn't want to get hit with.
I'm used to consider Hatterena for teams weak to hazard, but that's not a possibility anymore
If you want to avoid switching to death, you have to put a Tusk in your team. I want to use Landorus/Zapdos voltswitching not that useless elephant wheel that can't pivot and gets bullied by Hamurott anyways.
This hazard heavy meta has been so frustrating. How do you deal with it?!

Last edited:
I use the duck (Quaquaval) and it’s claimed many Gambit rage quits in mid-ladder. People get angry when broken mon gets killed by random UU Pokémon.

Gambit is rediculous though. Almost as bad as that fat ass chump Dragonite. Though, the problem with both is…

Tera.

Ban Tera.

To be fair quaquaval is kinda busted in UU though so it checks out. (Even if its inconsistent as hell and not super worth using in OU.)

Oh god was SV really that pathetic on launch that they removed that battle box thing in addition to the god knows how many bugs it had? Jesus fucking christ
But hey, at least that made possible the open sheet format which VGC players like even if there is not need for it anymore.

View attachment 526323
Suprisingly has been the most annoying new addition. So useless and weak when I use him, yet everytime I fight one his team manages to keep at least one layer of spikes, and the damage starts to add up very fast.
I thought at least Zapdos checks him and puts my team in a real good spot but some lunatics use Knock Off (or F*CKING laser beam) on HSamurott, which it really doesn't want to get hit with.
I'm used to consider Hatterena for teams weak to hazard, but that's not a possibility anymore
If you want to avoid switching to death, you have to put a Tusk in your team. I want to use Landorus/Zapdos voltswitching not that useless elephant wheel that can't pivot and gets bullied by Hamurott anyways.
I don't deal with it; I embrace it.

Tera Ghost Ting-Lu + 2 Ghost (Pult and Scarf Gholdengo) ensures hazards will never be coming off. Hatterene is annoying, but as you mentioned, H-samur puts her in a bind, so she is not consistent vs all styles of Hazard stack.

I share your sentiment. H-Samur is annoying to face, but feels underwhelming to use. Probably a skill issue on my end (Ting-lu has spoiled me). Ceaseless Edge accuracy is actually a big issue since missing the move matters a lot since you don't deal damage and don't setup Spikes.

Our meta is in a weird predicament. Ting-Lu teams don't have much issue w/ Tusk or Corv, but can struggle with Hat. Samurott-H teams don't struggle w/ Hat, but Tusk is annoying.

As a side Note, I think it's really cool that Tera allows Hat to be a great Pokemon. It was one of my favorites last gen, but got overshadowed as soon as the Crown Tundra dropped. Tera Water gives it a real fighting chance vs some of its counters like Heatran & Ghold.

Not many people seem to know this but Galarian Slowking actually now learns both Toxic and Toxic Spikes in this generation and while I understand that people like their Future Sight + Chilling Reception, I think a set with Toxic is under-explored.

Slowking-Galar (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 224 HP / 120 Def / 120 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Toxic

This is the set I ran. 44 speed EVs are for Toxapex and other base 35s but I forgot the exact damage calcs that gave me the rest of the investments. With Slowking's colorful coverage, you could use things like Sludge Bomb, Surf, Ice Beam, EQ, etc. in any combination in place of the attacking moves.

the companies have always wanted to do things like this, they just couldn't because the industry was smaller and reputation mattered more.

now that the gaming industry is ginormous, and most companies are publicly traded, as long as at some point you have gotten trust in the consumer it is in your interest to, in search of short-term profit for investors, release unfinished products

indie games are normally small companies with no outside vested interests, which is why they are more consistently quality. however I'd also say that's because the indie game market has more of a survival of the fittest element to it, where the indie games you hear of had to stand out to begin with

there is more i could say but eh I'm alreadhy rambling, apologies.
Other thing is that Pokemon is big beyond the games, they not only rush the games to sell those but also because they need more content for merch and other side stuff like TCG. I can ensure you that a lot of people who love Pokémon doesn't even know that there are games or the games started everything, the brand being to successful forces the games dev time shorter because they need more Pokémon, characters, forms an so on. for the other products. That is why the games doesn't release on december which is the ideal date for them, they need to release them one month in advance so people can get to know the new Pokémon to sell toys and all those stuff.

View attachment 526323
Suprisingly has been the most annoying new addition. So useless and weak when I use him, yet everytime I fight one his team manages to keep at least one layer of spikes, and the damage starts to add up very fast.
I thought at least Zapdos checks him and puts my team in a real good spot but some lunatics use Knock Off (or F*CKING laser beam) on HSamurott, which it really doesn't want to get hit with.
the best way to deal with a hazard heavy meta is to lean into it and play aggressive teams. spikes cant hurt you if you dont care about switching out all the time

View attachment 526323
scarf hsam is far and away the best set and I deal with it by not caring and playing offense teams :)

503-h.png

How do you deal with them when you play balance teams?
I want to use Landorus but I still haven't managed to build a team with him that doesn't get folded by Samurott and hazard in general.
And now that Zamazanta will get banned it'll be even worse.

Also is Samurott still used in top elo now that new toy syndrom has fadded or is it just a git good / noob filter situation?

Last edited:
View attachment 526363
How do you deal with him when you play balance teams?
I want to use Landorus but I still haven't managed to build a team with him that doesn't get folded by Samurott and hazard in general.
And now that Zamazanta will get banned it'll be even worse.

Also is Samurott still used in top elo now that new toy syndrom has fadding or is it just a git good / noob filter situation?
r u assuming it's gender

r u assuming it's gender
Samurott have a moustache, even female samurott ... I guess female samurott are drag-king.
Some languages don't have neutral pronouns &/or have gender to everything, u should not mind those kind of errors on internationnal forum ...

To talk about hazards & balance teams, anyone play :cyclizar: as a regen + rapid-spin + knock-off ?
I know :great-tusk: is more popular as a spinner but hazards are so presents, why not two users or the regen one at least ?

I am the weirdest person here because I refuse to call any Pokemon by any pronouns except for neutral ones. If Pokemon are canonically sentient/have human intelligence, biological gender would not be the end all be all. Who is to tell poor Lilligant :lilligant: that it can't be a guy?

And I think it's funny that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon allowed Attract to work no matter what in the 2000s, and mainline series is still not caught up on that. Attract isn't even a good status and unlocking it for all genders would be based and a meaningful buff to one of the most forgotten, and yet still shoe-horned status effects. Let alone following the rest of the industry in removing gender-locked clothing options for the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)