fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Toucannon

#733 - The Cannon Pokemon

Resists -

Weaknesses -

Immunities -

Ability 1 - Keen Eye -
Opponent cannot lower this Pokémon’s accuracy. The Pokémon ignores evasion boosts of the opponent.
Ability 2 - Skill Link -
Moves that attack 2-5 times always hit 5 times.
Hidden Ability - Sheer Force -
Moves with a secondary effect are increased in power by 33% but lose their secondary effect.
Stats - 80 HP / 120 Atk / 75 Def / 75 SpA / 75 SpD / 60 Spe (485 Total)
Level-Up Movepool
Lv 1 Beak Blast
Lv 1 Rock Blast
Lv 1 Peck
Lv 1 Growl
Lv 1 Echoed Voice
Lv 1 Rock Smash
Lv 3 Growl
Lv 7 Echoed Voice
Lv 9 Rock Smash
Lv 13 Supersonic
Lv 16 Pluck
Lv 21 Roost
Lv 24 Fury Attack
Lv 30 Screech
Lv 34 Drill Peck
Lv 40 Bullet Seed
Lv 44 Feather Dance
Lv 50 Hyper Voice

TMs
TM01 Work Up
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM17 Protect
TM19 Roost
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM75 Swords Dance
TM76 Fly
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM100 Confide

Egg Moves
Brave Bird
Boomburst
Mirror Move
Tailwind
Uproar

New Moves
Beak Blast -
Moves first in turn to charge, and last in the same turn to Attack. If opponent makes physical contact between this, the opponent is Burned.
Overview
First of all, it's dex entry says "When it battles, its beak heats up. The temperature can easily exceed 212 degrees Fahrenheit, causing severe burns when it hits" so why is it not Fire/Flying... Anyways, Toucannon is just very underwhelming in the OU tier, so underwhelming that I highly doubt it would be considered a niche pick in OU, UU or RU. At first glance, Toucannon's base Attack of 120 is amazing and base Special Attack of 75 is sub-optimal, but it could work in lower tiers (I mean Specs Swellow worked with base 50 Special Attack). Despite its high base Attack, Toucannon's weak defensive/offensive typing, mediocre 80/75/75 bulk, low base Speed of 60, and susceptibility to rocks hinders this mon's capabilities a whole lot. However, Toucannon does have a lot of options in its movepool, with coverage such as Bullet Seed and Overheat potentially proving useful and utility moves such as Tailwind, U-Turn and Roost that will help it out tremendously.

Potential Sets

All-Out-Attacker

Toucannon @ Life Orb / Normalium Z / Flyium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Peck / Brave Bird / Beak Blast
- Bullet Seed
- U-Turn / Return
- Roost / Tailwind

I didn't know what to call this set, so I just went with All Out Attacker. Anyways, this set combines Toucannon's unique movepool and utility all in one. The EVs in Attack and Speed maximizes its offensive capabilities while 4 HP EVs allow Toucannon to switch into rocks 5 times at full HP as opposed to 4 times. Life Orb lets Toucannon hit harder alongside its base 120 Attack while Z Crystals can be used for even more power in one go. Drill Peck is used for stab with less power while Brave Bird is used if you want more power and can take the recoil. Beak Blast can be used for priority burns from contact moves but, it takes 2 turns for the move to charge. Bullet Seed is coverage for Rock types that try to switch-in, it also synergizes with Skill Link. U-Turn allows Toucannon to pivot out in bad situations (Steel-types) while Return can be used for secondary stab. Lastly, Roost is for recovery and Tailwind helps remedy Toucannon's terrible speed.

Stallbreaker
Toucannon @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Jolly Nature
- Drill Peck / Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

This set maximizes Toucannon's Stallbreaking potential with Swords Dance. First of all, the ability really doesn't matter since they don't have much of an effect for this set. Life Orb can be used for more power while Leftovers can be used if you plan on boosting up more. Drill Peck is much more optimal since Swords Dance will be able to boost its power but, Brave Bird can be used instead so Toucannon doesn't need as many Swords Dance boosts. Substitute is key for bypassing status conditions and Taunt. Lastly, Roost gives Toucannon a form of recovery after using Substitute, Life Orb or Brave Bird.

Choice Band/Scarf
Toucannon @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Jolly / Adamant / Lonely Nature
- Drill Peck / Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Return / Rock Blast
- U-Turn / Overheat

This set fully utilizes Toucannon's physical movepool to the fullest. Depending on your preference, Choice Band amps up Toucannon's wall-breaking potential while Choice Scarf can help remedy its poor Speed. Drill Peck or Brave Bird is necessary for stab. Bullet Seed is also necessary to hit Rock-types or bulky Grounds that try to switch in. Return can be used for secondary stab while Rock Blast can be used for coverage that also synergizes with Skill Link (not sure why Rock Blast is needed but, it's an option). Lastly, U-Turn is used for pivoting and momentum control while Overheat can hit Steel-types for some damage upon switch-in. The nature of choice depends on your preferences, Jolly for more speed, Adamant for more power and Lonely if you really want to preserve Toucannon's Special Attack stat.

Special Attacker
Toucannon @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- U-Turn / Tailwind

Since Toucannon has access to the strongest, most reliable special normal move Boomburst, this set highlights Toucannon's sub-optimal Special Attack stat. Choice Specs helps out Toucannon's Special Attack quite a bit while Life Orb can be used for less power but, ability to not be locked into a move. Sheer Force is the ability of choice due to the synergy with Flash Cannon, also Skill Link would be pretty useless in this set. Go Timid nature if you want more Speed or Modest nature if you want more power. Boomburst is for powerful stab while Overheat is used for coverage against Steel-types. Flash Cannon lets Toucannon deal with Rock-types that try to switch in. Lastly, U-Turn is useful for pivoting out in case of a bad situation while Tailwind can be used to support the team.

Conclusion
There is virtually no reason to use Toucannon in any tier from OU to RU since there are much better options. Toucannon's many boons really hurt this mons capabilities that I can see it functioning well in PU while being a niche pick in NU. Despite the odds, Toucannon sports an amazing Attack stat and coverage options which makes it hard for other mons to switch into it in the lower tiers. Overall, Toucannon was pretty underwhelming but, I believe it can be a decent mon in whichever tier (NU, PU, or ZU/FU) it calls home.

Last edited:
(You misconstrued the second ability of Skill Link as Rock Blast up in your post, by the way)
I was thinking about posting the analysis for this thing myself. I'm slightly disappointed Toucannon isn't Fighting/Flying, because a Bird getting legitimate Steel coverage is a big deal.
Nontherless, its bulk and speed is going to limit its viability.

But you forgot something incredibly important in your analysis.
BEAK BLAST.

(Le competitive) Toucannon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/4 Speed
Beak Blast
Rock Blast/Bullet Seed/Brave Bird
Bullet Seed/U-turn/Swords Dance/Brick Break
Roost

First of all, let me get something out of the way fast. This won't be very good in OU.... even if people can be really dense sometimes about attacking. This set requires the opponent to attack into you with a contact move for the best results. Beak Blast is basically a much better Focus Punch with a guaranteed Flame Body effect, which is fantastic. (Yes, it doesn't take two turns to attack) You'll want to survive a hit first, hence the HP EVs. Despite the subpar bulk, it can take some punishment when it's burned its foe, leaving you (hopefully) open to Roost away. Bullet Seed and Rock Blast are for some high powered attacks (which will do a fair bit of damage), U-turn is for getting out of a bad situation in which you don't want to burn the opponent, and Brick Break can be used to cover Steel types.

In the end, I think this will end up in RU thanks to its base Attack, and having just enough bulk to set it apart from Braviary and Staraptor, who are both more offensively orientated than this is. It's mainly the very good Beak Blast that holds it up to a tanking role... (Feel free to lay down upon me if you feel this is dumb. But Beak Blast is a good move.)

I dont feel like this pokemon is completely outclassed but I dont feel like it will be anywhere near OU. What this pokemon has is the unpredictably factor, that It could run all the choice items pretty effectively, has amazing coverage, sheer force+LO, Swords dance and Tailwind. There are very few pokemon that would like to switch into toucannon. Yes it has its flaws slow and average bulk but it definitely will have a niche.

toot cannon is my new favorite pokemon because toot has beep blat and toucans are my favorite birbs

In all seriousness, though, Beak Blast is an awesome move. Toucannon is so slow that he doesn't mind the reduced priority, and burning physical attackers is always nice. You essentially have a 100-base-power move with no drawbacks. What's best about the move is that even if Toucannon faints from the contact attack, the foe still gets burned.

I've been running Flyinium on Toucannon and I've noticed that Beak Blast-turned-Supersonic Skystrike does 180 damage while also having Beak Blast's effect. Which means that it has negative priority, sure, but it also burns the foe on contact while doing massive damage. It has been a good way to destroy things, in my experience. I'm not sure if this effect is a mistake or not, but it's awesome.

Overall, I'd say that Toucannon is quite versatile, but so versatile that he doesn't excel at one particular niche. I don't see him being in OU, but Beak Blast is such a great move that he'll be great in whatever tier he ends up in. I just hope he doesn't get the Typhlosion treatment and end up in a limbo between a tier where he is completely unviable and a tier where he is completely broken. That, in my opinion, is the worst thing that can possibly happen to a Pokemon in the tiering scene.

Toucannon is precious and I will defend him until I die, okay bye

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but Beak Blast is really broken? I'm not sure if its a glitch I encountered or not, but apparently Toucannon can use it when asleep - I mean, it can heat up while it's asleep and give an attacker burns. It obviously can't attack while it's asleep. I encountered this during one of the Totem battles.

Also it has Rest and Sleep talk?? I definitely think putting EVs into Atk and HP would the best bet, especially if Beak Blast acts the same way with other status conditions that prevent attacks (freezing, paralysis, etc.).

(i literally made an account to post this and i can provide pictures for proof if needed)

EDIT:

?????????

Last edited:
If this Pokemon is used in OU, it'll be for the potential to suicide it on physical attackers and burn them with Beak Blast.

I gotta say as good as its two abilities are they're pretty disappointing. Skill Link doesn't boost any good STAB (although the coverage is somewhat nice) and Sheer Force boosts next to nothing of value. (By the way, consider changing the mono-attacker set's ability to Keen Eye. Evasion manipulation may be non-existent in competitive but it's still more existent than the benefits from the other two abilities.)

If this Pokemon is used in OU, it'll be for the potential to suicide it on physical attackers and burn them with Beak Blast.

I gotta say as good as its two abilities are they're pretty disappointing. Skill Link doesn't boost any good STAB (although the coverage is somewhat nice) and Sheer Force boosts next to nothing of value. (By the way, consider changing the mono-attacker set's ability to Keen Eye. Evasion manipulation may be non-existent in competitive but it's still more existent than the benefits from the other two abilities.)
It gets Fury Attack as a STAB for Skill Link

It should be noted that Beak Blast also has priority on the heating up, kind of like Focus Punch.
Thats probably the key part of this mon, it has essentially a priority will-o-wisp against physical attackers and is immune to the common non-contact move earthquake. Beak Blast is still an excellent STAB attack and roost will increase longevity paired with beak blast burn. It doesnt have to lower its own hp to have a high bp flying attack, which is really nice. I think this mon has a good shot at the lower tiers!

Given that it's a rather questionable Skill Link or Sheer Force user, it will have to take advantage of Beak Blast as it's a really solid move, burning even Extreme Speed users (this is huge as Prankster Will-o-wisp cannot do this), assuming the charge priority is the same as Focus Punch's, working even when the actual damaging part of the move cannot be performed and being a reliable damaging move unlike Focus Punch.

I wonder if it will work if the user is behind a Substitute...

Last edited:
Given that it's a rather questionable Skill Link or Sheer Force user, it will have to take advantage of Beak Blast as it's a really solid move, burning even Extreme Speed users (this is huge as Prankster Will-o-wisp cannot do this), assuming the charge priority is the same as Focus Punch's, working even when the actual damaging part of the move cannot be performed and being a reliable damaging move unlike Focus Punch.

I wonder if it will work if the user is behind a Substitute...
Behind a Substitute if an opponent used a contact move it obviously wouldn't burn them

Although I love Toucannon, even its main niche (the Beak Blast set) is almost useless since Sun/Moon introduced the new item Protective Pads.

Quoting Serebii:

"An item to be held by a Pokémon. These pads protect the holder from effects caused by making direct contact with the target."

I don't really know which Pokémon can make full use of this new item, but it can completely hinder Toucannon's utility as suicide physical burner, since Protective Pads ignore items/abilities/effects when making contact with the Pokémon (like Beak Blast's burn, Static, Poison Point, Flame Body, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, and Rocky Helmet/Sticky Barb)

:/

Although I love Toucannon, even its main niche (the Beak Blast set) is almost useless since Sun/Moon introduced the new item Protective Pads.

Quoting Serebii:

"An item to be held by a Pokémon. These pads protect the holder from effects caused by making direct contact with the target."

I don't really know which Pokémon can make full use of this new item, but it can completely hinder Toucannon's utility as suicide physical burner, since Protective Pads ignore items/abilities/effects when making contact with the Pokémon (like Beak Blast's burn, Static, Poison Point, Flame Body, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, and Rocky Helmet/Sticky Barb)

question is, why the hell would you use protective pads over a much more useful item???? i don't see it

Really, it would only be useful in something that had the job of killing things with these hindering abilities / moves. For the most part, 90% of physical attackers would probably be better off with a Lum Berry / Life Orb / Something useful.

Onto the mon itself, I can see Toucannon being UU or RU, probably C-Rank in the former and maybe B+ in the latter. Having Flying/Normal STAB in UU has historically been great coverage, though usually on faster mons it helps. However, it does have Flame Charge, so it can patch up a middling speed to be a threat late-game, and Swords Dance can threaten stall with Sub / SD / Beak Blast / Roost or something similar.

So yeah, expecting this to be like Clawitzer this gen or something.

Quoting Serebii:

That's an extremely niche item that you'd probably never see in a format without item clause or maybe on a FO/U-Turn pokemon like Ambipom who wants to avoid rough skin/rocky helmet.

+20 speed is crucial especially in ru tier, otherwise to lost to really obnoxious stuff like jolly beltboar and hoopa, among other things. Braviary is a reliable stallbreaker; Toucannon is hard walled by RegiMola cores. Banded Braviary has superpower, which literally hits exactly what bullet seed/rock blast do, but is stronger/is a better stab to lock into (fighting coverage is arguably the best in the game). It can utilize roost to good effect, something Toucannon cannot hope to do. There is no way in hell this thing is doing well in RU. It's trappable, frail, slow, and those are all qualities that doom it to PU, where I actually think it will do ok.

this is the only set it should be running

Toucannon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Overheat

Credits to Disjunction for this idea

Toucannon is hard walled by steel-types. This set gives it a fighting chance versus fat Registeel-lacking balance teams, which are themselves extremely rare.

Braviary outclasses Toucannon in every aspect. Coveragewise, power-wise, and set-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you ignoring Beak Blast? It's a priority burn and 100 BP flying move (and yes, it does both of those things in one turn).

Superpower is a terrible move to have to use. Lowering your attack and defense is guaranteed loss of momentum. Much rather have dual 125 BP coverage moves with no drawbacks.

Toucannon hits just as hard as Braviary while offering great utility. If you think 20 speed is enough to peg it two tiers lower then idk.

no its not

+20 speed is crucial especially in ru tier, otherwise to lost to really obnoxious stuff like jolly beltboar and hoopa, among other things. Braviary is a reliable stallbreaker; Toucannon is hard walled by RegiMola cores. Banded Braviary has superpower, which literally hits exactly what bullet seed/rock blast do, but is stronger/is a better stab to lock into (fighting coverage is arguably the best in the game). It can utilize roost to good effect, something Toucannon cannot hope to do. There is no way in hell this thing is doing well in RU. It's trappable, frail, slow, and those are all qualities that doom it to PU, where I actually think it will do ok.

this is the only set it should be running

Toucannon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Overheat

Credits to Disjunction for this idea

Toucannon is hard walled by steel-types. This set gives it a fighting chance versus fat Registeel-lacking balance teams, which are themselves extremely rare.

Braviary outclasses Toucannon in every aspect. Coveragewise, power-wise, and set-wise.
Idk I think it has too much power for pu but not enough power for ru

Why is this thread ignoring the existence of nu

Idk I think it has too much power for pu but not enough power for ru

Why is this thread ignoring the existence of nu
They ignore because they only see PU in their eyes. Probably they want another new tier bellow PU to give some use to botton-of-the-barrel pokemon, but instead they're throwing all of them into there like they did to PU when it was created, destroying the meaning of NU's existence. I was against the creation of the PU tier because of this.

tbh, Toucannon has awful speed and mediocre bulk, but it's a threat when it lands a 100% Burn paired with a 100BP attack and 120Atk. Beak Blast does that in one turn, it's something that shouldn't be understimated, this paired with Skill Link for better Substitute/FocusSash breaking potential.

Last edited:
They ignore because they only see PU in their eyes. Probably they want another new tier bellow PU to give some use to botton-of-the-barrel pokemon, but instead they're throwing all of them into there like they did to PU when it was created, destroying the meaning of NU's existence. I was against the creation of the PU tier because of this.
I like the idea of it on paper, but it doesn't really give shit mon a place to play, it gives mons that are decent but not quite NU decent some room to do stuff but there's still a ton of mons in the tier that don't get touched ever.

I like the idea of it on paper, but it doesn't really give shit mon a place to play, it gives mons that are decent but not quite NU decent some room to do stuff but there's still a ton of mons in the tier that don't get touched ever.
NU got almost of its population sent down to PU. And unlike NU back then, nowadays everyone is avoiding PU pokemon in any other tier, it's like a huge stigma.

Because of that Ninetales got "mentally banned" from OU tier while being forced to perform in PU with Flash Fire (can't use Drought in PU), then people say to not use it in OU because it's outclassed by Mega Charizard Y (like I would be forced waste a mega-slot just to outclass something). When new gen Showdown players go here and see "PU" labelled in Ninetales, they instantly think inside their heads "PU = Don't Ever use it!" or "If Ninetales is PU then it's useless!".

It's like RottenTomatoes rating movies. They gave 26% to Suicide Squad stating that the movie sucks (pretty much paid by Disney), but it was the movie that got most audience this year.

Last edited:
NU got almost of its population sent down to PU. And unlike NU back then, nowadays everyone is avoiding PU pokemon in any other tier, it's like a huge stigma.

Because of that Ninetales got "mentally banned" from OU tier while being forced to perform in PU with Flash Fire (can't use Drought in PU), then people say to not use it in OU because it's outclassed by Mega Charizard Y (like I would be forced waste a mega-slot just to outclass something). When new gen Showdown players go here and see "PU" labelled in Ninetales, they instantly think inside their heads "PU = Don't Ever use it!" or "If Ninetales is PU then it's useless!".

It's like RottenTomatoes rating movies. They gave 26% to Suicide Squad stating that the movie sucks (pretty much paid by Disney), but it was the movie that got most audience this year.
whether or not y'all know how/why the tiering system works isn't that important and i don't feel like arguing abt it. let's get back on subject
i think we've been focusing wayyyyy to hard on the physical sets; it's niche there is gonna be a bulky tank w blast burn, plus reliable recovery and some OK utility. might even see some use in UU. a special set has serious potential in lower tiers. it's 1.5 times as powerful as specs swellow last gen, plus it gets better coverage w flash cannon and overheat (which is considerably more powerful than heatwave). UTurn is another good selling point. It could do some serious work as an RU wall breaker-and yes, it probably beats regimola.

whether or not y'all know how/why the tiering system works isn't that important and i don't feel like arguing abt it. let's get back on subject
i think we've been focusing wayyyyy to hard on the physical sets; it's niche there is gonna be a bulky tank w blast burn, plus reliable recovery and some OK utility. might even see some use in UU. a special set has serious potential in lower tiers. it's 1.5 times as powerful as specs swellow last gen, plus it gets better coverage w flash cannon and overheat (which is considerably more powerful than heatwave). UTurn is another good selling point. It could do some serious work as an RU wall breaker-and yes, it probably beats regimola.
I was thinking on Overheat aswell to break through Steels that otherwise wall it. Can be also done a Mixed set carrying Overheat as special attack, then once -2 SpAtk it retreats with U-turn or switches out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)