Programming UPDATE Nov 20th: Updated with Sun&Moon sprites and Z-Moves!. Showdown App for Android (beta)

This is cool, I'll def DL it later. Would make for a nice randbat experience while on the toilet.

Also, RainFountain, what's your knowledge of how it runs on different hardware? Is the Android 4.1+ requirement related to the weaker hardware found on older devices, or was it more of a software issue with changes made to the Android SDK, etc?

Can you at least make the damage calculator for iOS because the online damage calculator lags on my 5c and there are only two damage calculators on the App Store. One of updated with ORAS, but it is in Japense and it doesn't change to English. The other isn't updated with the ORAS data. As well as it doesn't calculator everything correctly like stored power and has some bugs. I just want a good mobile damage calculator that works so I can use it when I play ORAS on my 3DS or if I want to have it on my phone while I play on showdown. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Is it possible to have the pokemon categorised by their respective tier in the team builder? It would be very handy while teambuilding.

Glad to see this on the play store. Can't wait for private channel support :3
it'll be added to the TODO list
does this app run on its own servers? or connected to the main pokemon showdown servers that the web based app runs on?
They app uses the Smogon server (basically the one you probably play on (or as you say "the main ones")

Can you at least make the damage calculator for iOS because the online damage calculator lags on my 5c and there are only two damage calculators on the App Store. One of updated with ORAS, but it is in Japense and it doesn't change to English. The other isn't updated with the ORAS data. As well as it doesn't calculator everything correctly like stored power and has some bugs. I just want a good mobile damage calculator that works so I can use it when I play ORAS on my 3DS or if I want to have it on my phone while I play on showdown. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Hey guys, gg on getting this out finally! I have questions/requests.
1st, does this connect to the main Showdown server so we can battle people using, say, a laptop or desktop connection from a browser? If so, does the status from baton pass pass with those people playing as well or what?
2nd, although I've seen that you don't play to release for iOS, do you think it would maybe run on iOS anyway if you uploaded it to a Cydia repo? I know that getting apps in the Apple AppStore is a hassle, but from I understand, getting them into the ModMyI repo isn't all that hard. Just a question! (This is all for a jailbroken iPhone btw.) I have a lot of experience with jailbreaking and am definitely willing to help you test it out if you want jailbreak testers.
At any rate, I have an Android tablet I'm going to install this on as soon as I get home! Good job again!
iOS and Android are two different platforms using different languages. (We cant just port Android code to iOS code.

Is it possible to have the pokemon categorised by their respective tier in the team builder? It would be very handy while teambuilding.
This could be done. Will add it to requested features

Congrats bro! this is a great step! i've already test it and it's very good, specially for a beta. Im using a tblet (don't know the exact dimensions) and the sprites looks kinda samll (versy small actually XD) and also at the beginning i did't know how to switch out lol but besides that, it's great. Keep that work, this will a great app:)
Also, i have one question: ¿when you use the app, your fighting against other mobile users AND pc users, or only against other mobile users? If you already answered that before i'm sorry for asking lol
Sorry for my bad english

Congrats bro! this is a great step! i've already test it and it's very good, specially for a beta. Im using a tblet (don't know the exact dimensions) and the sprites looks kinda samll (versy small actually XD) and also at the beginning i did't know how to switch out lol but besides that, it's great. Keep that work, this will a great app:)
Also, i have one question: ¿when you use the app, your fighting against other mobile users AND pc users, or only against other mobile users? If you already answered that before i'm sorry for asking lol
Sorry for my bad english
Agaisnt everyone playing on the official smogon server (probably the one you're using)

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting this in the play store! Thank you so much for all your hard work. I downloaded it when it was in alpha and played probably for three hours last night… Really lost track of time there.

I noticed something weird about Pain Split in the app. I was battling a Rotom-Wash and when he used Pain Split he's HP didn't change at all when it should have gone up.
Also, as far as I'm aware there's no way to take held items into calculation on the damage calculator. It'd be nice if that were implemented.
Thanks again for the great app, guys! :D

iOS and Android are two different platforms using different languages. (We cant just port Android code to iOS code.)
I understand that the code is different otherwise it would have been up within minutes on the App Store after it went up on Google Play. I was just woundering if you would ever be or consider putting the damage calculator on the App Store.

I understand that the code is different otherwise it would have been up within minutes on the App Store after it went up on Google Play. I was just woundering if you would ever be or consider putting the damage calculator on the App Store.
Probably not coming from me (I don't do iOS, nor does the project boss), sorry!

Maybe Lazloz?

Congratulations on getting this in the play store! Thank you so much for all your hard work. I downloaded it when it was in alpha and played probably for three hours last night… Really lost track of time there.

I noticed something weird about Pain Split in the app. I was battling a Rotom-Wash and when he used Pain Split he's HP didn't change at all when it should have gone up.
Also, as far as I'm aware there's no way to take held items into calculation on the damage calculator. It'd be nice if that were implemented.
Thanks again for the great app, guys! :D
thanks to you!
We'll look onto pain split interaction.

Probably not coming from me (I don't do iOS, nor does the project boss), sorry!

Maybe Lazloz?
That is disappointing since i don't have any Android devices. Some of my friends are always saying that Android is surpieror to Apple. (Luckily non of them play Pokèmon otherwise they would have a good point if we ever talk about it again) Oh well I guess it can't really be helped. If anything ever changes though I'll be downloading it as soon as I hear about it.

I will probably implement it if I have some spare time (currently I don't have too much time because of my bachelor thesis). There is also alot of other stuff to do (escpacially status conditions, the ability to change health and some attacks + abilities).
Unfortunately no.

Agaisnt everyone playing on the official smogon server (probably the one you're using)
Thanks for the answer.
Well, because the app it's still a beta, obviously it have some bugs and issues, ¿are this bugs affecting the pc users? I'm just saying, if thats the case probably we should do something.

Yo man, this is Awesome! Good Job on the project, it's looking GREAT so far.

1 thing i don't like, its the app forcing my matches to end after my phone locks or i go back to my home screen to check a text. If the match can continue while i multi task, that would be great!

Yo man, this is Awesome! Good Job on the project, it's looking GREAT so far.

1 thing i don't like, its the app forcing my matches to end after my phone locks or i go back to my home screen to check a text. If the match can continue while i multi task, that would be great!
Multitasking isnt handled yet during battles, it is top priority though

Gradle/Android studio eww
You can test older SDKs on a newer phone. websockets are mostly older SDKs
and just create new permanent intents for battles

Android cannot parse all HTML tags. Don't get too hopeful
Animations constantly being loaded not fun for GPU that is trying to emulate something at the same time

Gradle/Android studio eww
You can test older SDKs on a newer phone. websockets are mostly older SDKs
and just create new permanent intents for battles

Android cannot parse all HTML tags. Don't get too hopeful
Animations constantly being loaded not fun for GPU that is trying to emulate something at the same time
Any suggestion for animation?

Hey guys, I just spent about an hour looking over the source code and this entire thread because I have absolutely no life.

Anyway, I noticed pretty much immediately that it only supports Android 4.1+. As well as I am fully aware that it only removes 15% of the player base essentially, during your configuration, or even now, you can make the target SDK a lower value than need be. Depending on the IDE you are using, which appears to be Android Studio, it could possibly suggest issues where an older SDK doesn't support a certain method, and you can always adapt the code to adhere to the older functions because most work in the same way, deprecated or not.
So like, I've seen here a time or two that it was because of websockets, so if you use basic socket functions, it will work for 2.2+, and the functions essentially work in the same matter, causing no issues. Just a thought.

As well as Google being very tight on Copyright Infringement, there will be an issue with the screenshots used as examples for the app. If anything relatively shows a Pokemon Sprite, Name, etc, it is immediately in violation of the Copyright and IP Infringement Policy of the Google Play Store. The PO Android App has already had that happen, so just as a warning.

As regards to animations, you're going to encounter issues. As other apps do, you can do a custom class and just use view and streaming, but you end up doing that for thousands of images and it's just not efficient. That's why PO never used animations within the app, and we never will. It just bogs down the GPU with too much information on top of the emulation.

Will the animations be stored locally or from webcall?

GifWebView.java is a pretty common snippet for loading gifs in a WebView.

Edit: for locale I think frame-by-frame can be done with sprite maps as well as loading gif assets as options.

Last edited:
As well as Google being very tight on Copyright Infringement, there will be an issue with the screenshots used as examples for the app. If anything relatively shows a Pokemon Sprite, Name, etc, it is immediately in violation of the Copyright and IP Infringement Policy of the Google Play Store. The PO Android App has already had that happen, so just as a warning.
We know about that.
We'll see and adapt if needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)